Options

manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

Probably last post before The Day as will be travelling tomorrow, just wanted to say thanks for all the advice/banter/info. and GOOD LUCK to everyone!!

Mid carb loading (I never thought it would be this much of a chore to eat food!) right now, and also getting really nervous. Have laid everything out ready to pack tonight ...  also have my play list ready although probably plug in only when I need a boost. I'm less trance, more rock/indie/alternative, although there's a bit of classical in there too! I've tried to pick songs that mean something to me (Elbow: One Day Like This was our wedding first dance for example) to give me something to focus on so I hope it works image

Hope everyone manages to stay calm and injury/illness free for just a few more hours ... see you at Old Trafford!

• Options

can't believe less than 2 sleeps now !

now starting to really look forward to Sundays challenge. Not sure how actually prepared physically I am but time will tell. Whatever happens I will finish ! image

Weather is looking perfect... so glad the wind of last few weeks seems to of cleared off.

• Options

CeejayD - My music taste is more to yours. I also have my wedding first dance song on the playlist (Bastille: Oblivion). Though it also features a good chunk of 90's pop and for Caz - the Frozen soundtrack has made an appearance this year image 'Let it go' is fantastic running motivation.

I'll be bringing my ipod shuffle, but probably keep it in my pocket until things get tough.   

• Options

Thanks too for the info Animal! 

• Options

Another trance fan here. must be something that brings running & that genre of music together.

• Options

Trying to run without music this time as I think I've got too far into "the zone" and ended up not really focussing on pace, speed and where I was up to in the previous 2 races, although I took it off when I hit the wall last time and focussed more on what the crowds were shouting etc

It will be in the pocket for emergencies but I'm hoping to run without

Finally had a proper read of the race booklet and notice that there are pacers for 3:58, 3:59 and 4:00 so undecided as to which of these to follow as I guess there are only fractions of a second between them

Short sleeves for me but not sure whether to risk the new gel belt I bought or to go with the old one which doesn't quite carry enough and perhaps find some other way to carry another couple

I'm like JJ and like to be there and in place regardless of the fact that this may mean I'm there far too early. Given the increased numbers and the fact the tram can be a bit "temperamental" I'm going to get a tram around 7;15-7:30 which should leave plenty of slippage

• Options

OMG this carb load. I feel sick.

Had rice and chicken at lunch with some natural yoghurt. I am totally bloated.

I might even skip the afternoon tea cake today LMAO.

Travel safe Ceejay. See you in the 5hr pen.

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    John Jenkins 8 wrote (see)

I was same when i used to stand on the Streford End as a kid. Get there when the doors open, buy a drink and pie, sit on the steps and read my programme watching the crowds gradually build up. 

JJ I used to be same pal.  Used to stand on the "tunnel" in the Stretford end.

would get there early read programme and rink my Bovril.  image

then I got into my late teens and discovered alcohol and for some strange reason going to the match took on a whole new meaning and often turned into "all day affair" image

i'm the opposite now and get impatient so stood round for ages will kill me.  Living local gives me the opportunity to take my mind off things at home then rock up at about 8:50 then just get on with it.

• Options

Another former Stretford Ender here, now resident in K-Stand (sorry East Lower)

Gone full circle, from getting the 263/264 from Sale to the match 3 hours before kick off, getting the usual vantage point to the left of the Stretford End tunnel and scrumming to get a bus on the way home, to having lunch in the pub and a few pints before getting the train, to now driving up and having a quick pint in the Gorse if there's time.

I am now at the point where I just want to run, so Sunday morning can't come soon enough, good night's sleep last night and an alcohol free week should have helped but I'm just eating fairly normally and perhaps having the odd extra carb treat rather than specifically loading

There is a large slice of Mrs RRRs birthday chocolate birthday cake from yesterday with my name on it for tonite's treat though

• Options

Sh*t on the tunnel, sh*t on the tunnel tonight.

We are the right side, we are the right side, we are the right side Stretford End !!!

• Options
    Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭
    John Jenkins 8 wrote (see)

Sh*t on the tunnel, sh*t on the tunnel tonight.

We are the right side, we are the right side, we are the right side Stretford End !!!

as though we are not nervous enough without having to go through tomorrow's ordeal of an away game at the bridge.

• Options

Probably going to leave my house about 7 ish and get the tram up to Trafford Bar and walk to the village. 

I have previously found a quite spot towards the far end of the race village (as per picture), if you are stood with Old Trafford behind I will be up on the left somewhere against the fence line.

Would be nice to put some faces to names.

Anyone new to marathons........have you thought about your warm up routine? You really don't need to do much. 

• Options

In all honesty gary, i have not thought about any warm up routines. I was just going to run as i will be slow anyway and will be essentially warm up pace.

But if you have any recommendations let me know please.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

JJ - I thought your warm up routine would be to have another tea cake !!

• Options

Light jogging, a few short marathon pace bursts, make sure nothing is tight.....as you say, use your marathon to warm up.

I watched the elite warm up at London marathon last year.....they did very little other than jog around the field. 

Don't waste too much energy with a massive warm up.....26.2 is a long way to run.

• Options

And,,,, a celebratory one at the finish line !!!

Yeah i dont think i will do the mass warm up. I need every bit of energy i can get.

• Options

just dipping into the thread now its nearly time (as been busy) but really looking forward to this marathon - im aiming to stick with a 4hr pacer like glue to see if i can blast my 4:17 pb, got 4:18 in paris last year & kept pacer in sight for 16-17 miles - a change of tactics as  previuoly id been start slow and keep going but this seemed to work. marathon no 36 and learning lots,

if its not freezing then i should be in my welsh dragon vest c Rob on front , beard and glasses on face ! talk later - anyone getting excited ?

• Options

Indeed Pete - Carrick, Blind, Rojo and Jones all out and I'll have to watch the game without a pint too

My warm up consists of a few very basic stretches, a walk from my house to Navi Road, tram then another 10 minute walk from Old Trafford station up to the ground before basically spending the next 30 minutes or so moving between the race village and the toilets.

Final warm up is the 10 minute stroll up to the start line and discarding my hoodie ready for the off

Mrs RRR will be bringing a goodie bad to the finish line, hopefully including water and chocolate milkshake but I'll wait to get home for the first post-race beer

• Options

hey RRR my warm up is the footy tomorrow ( i dont like football Im a Wrexham fan)  early porridge o clock at 0600 Sunday then drive from Flintshire to MUFC car park -- any idea how easy it is to get into the car parks at 0730? we have pre booked

final preps loo walk loo stretch maybe, then a 20mile warm up for a 10k blast (i hope) then Guiness o clock after the race @home - after flapjack & water in car

• Options

Gary can you confirm the meet up place please?  According to the pic i put up the elite pacer tent is on the right if OT is behind you.  I just noticed a second of those little speech bubble things on the map, did you mean the one up at the top?

• Options

RRR - i was quite looking forward to the Chelski game but those injuries have but a dampener on that.  Likely going to be McNair at the back with rooney or Fellaini playing DM.  not ideal at all.

Just had a very slow 5.5k around Sale water park, felt really easy but my HR was still high.  Going to ditch that now as its worrying me a bit and just go off feel on Sunday.  I know when im working hard.

• Options

ah yes must check my play list tonight , audiobooks or podcasts (marathon talk) during long runs - but in a marathon the phone/pod is in reserve for mile 21 plus

• Options

Wrexhamrob - I've been to the Racecourse a few times, most notably for the Cup Winners Cup game in 1990 but also for a few games as a neutral as my gran lived in Rhuddlan. Not managed to get there on my travels with Altrincham as yet

Car parks are easy to get into, it's sometimes getting to them nearer to the start time once the roads start to close that the problems start

• Options
    WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Best of luck to you all on Sunday. Leaving in a few hours so hope you all had a great race whether it's your first or one of many marathons! Hope you all achieve your targets whether they be to finish or aiming for a set time! I'm just hoping for two nights of better sleep compared to many awful nights recently! Highly unlikely to PB and aiming to enjoy it more than anything! 

• Options

Has anyone got advice for the best pose to cross the finish line in for that memorable official photograph?

Single fist-punch? Both arms aloft? Aeroplane style? Collapsing to the knees and praising the heavens?

These are the sorts of details I'm focused on now....

• Options

animal - yes top of picture. up against the fence.

• Options

/members/images/284854/Gallery/Cramp_finish_Manchester_0.jpg

Robert, I've put this on previously. This was my finish pose at a previous Manchester marathon.............CRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAMMMMMPPPP

• Options
    Cheers Gary. I'll amend the pic and repost
  • Options
    The best finish pose would be whipping off your top to reveal a chelsea shirt and running the last 100m in a John Terry mask. That would get some good cheers outside OT.

I think last year I did a two arms in the air type thing, it just happened, I don't plan these things
  • Options

RRR do you watch Altrincham then? I guess the name gives it away, you are certainly not the Rocky Robin as that is Nasha.

I go to Alty alot, The Alty Teasers flag was my idea and design for our group of erm drunken fans.

As for the Wrexhamrob hello.