Options

Sub 3:30 Stevenage Marathon 2 November

Comments

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Think I heard that somewhere before.  First LSR is this Sunday, 12 miles.  Perhaps I'll try and do 9+mm for the first 8 and then try and get closer to 8mm for the last four.  Does that sound sensible.  Or maybe 9:30 first four, 9:00 next four, 8:30 last four.  Probably too early to get all hung up on it, will just get the 12 miles out of the way whatever the pace and hopefully still feeling reasonably fresh at the end.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    The most improvement I made was running a midweek 10-13 and a Sunday 13-18. All slow miles. Forget any speed at the moment other than your 5k Parkrun, which isn't ideally placed on a Saturday morning.

Went a bit like

Wed Sun

10. 18.

10. 15.

13. 13.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    For the first couple of months just get used to getting the long run miles under your belt. Finishing them fresh enough so you are not too tired to complete the rest of your sessions. I wouldn't start introducing progression/ fast finish/ lots of MP miles until you are a bit further into your plan.
  • Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Are you drunk barmy?  Or typing with mittens on.

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Your name just changed from barmy to netanyahuthewarcriminal.

1)no

2)yes

3)I want to acheive 3:30

4)5k: 19:50TM, 20:55PR.  10k: 44:30TM, 46:30 10k race.  Suggests that there is a correlation of 1min better on TM per 5k run, so it does have some relevance.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Here's what I think:

1) no

2) it happens all the time

3) this actually does make sense to me if Basher ignores all of the paces on the plan and runs them at paces derived from his 10k time from McMillan (or similar). I think plans labelled with specific finish time targets are stupid and misleading (and I would not use one myself) because they make people assume that they should be training at specific paces for their target, when actually they should be training at specific paces for their current ability. But a sub 4 hour plan is usually just a beginner/intermediate plan designed to get you round, and if you can do more volume (e.g. because you already are) you will have a more comfortable race by following a higher-mileage plan, albeit at appropriate paces. For example, a friend of mine aiming for four hours followed a plan for her first marathon that started at a much lower training volume than she was already doing - she spent the first several weeks waiting for the plan to catch up with what she was already doing. That was pointless because the first weeks are meant to be building you up. I would favour a plan that names the paces (either after race paces or with labels like 'easy', 'steady' etc.) rather than telling you how fast you're expected to run them. Those are more serious plans that can be adapted to individual runners.

4) Yeah. Treadmills can be wrongly calibrated and you won't be running the actual race on one.

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Treadmill is easier on the knees too.  As I took a few knocks to the knee playing footy last night gonna do today's run partly on the TM: (4M/33 with a few gentle strides) in the form of 7 min jog to gym (1.2k), 4k on treadmill in intervals with a few mins at 8min/mile and a few mins at 6min/mile, then 7 min jog back to work.  Shower and Sandwich.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I slightly disagree. When doing the vO2max sessions a 3:15 runner will be capable of doing 1200m intervals whereas a 4:00 runner will be better off with 800m intervals. With the long runs a 4:00 runner is better off running two long runs on consecutive days, a 10 and then a 16 rather than a 20 that a 3:15 runner will easily manage.

I am assuming that they're running according to distance as opposed to time.

For my Stevenage training I don't expect to be doing more than one or two 20mile LSRs. I'll be aiming mainly at 18miles. I think I've learned from my mistakes.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Fair point, Tim. Though I guess when choosing a plan based on what mileage you can do now and what mileage you realistically think you can build up to some of those things will be built into the decision. All things being equal the 3:15 runner would be able to do higher mileage simply because of the lesser amount of training time needed!

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Exactly.

There are proposals that you don't get any physiological benifit from running for more than 2:30. Running 20miles at 9:20-9:30/mi takes me over 3hours. Which just means tiring me out and risking injury.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm comfortable enough running for more than 2:30 but have only ever run for longer than 3 hours once. I guess you wouldn't want to be making a habit of it.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The long run debate is really interesting. I'm in the camp of getting in at least 5 x 20 milers in. There is definitely a correlation with the number of 20 milers in training and my best performances. Admittedly there are other factors that come into play as well.

I actually enjoy going out for a 3 hr run and getting in 20-22 miles.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It probably depends what kind of base mileage you have behind you as well. I remember coming in from 18+ mile runs feeling stiff and in need of a cold bath when training for my first marathon. A year and a lot of running later, I didn't get any stiffness after long runs even after spending nearly 3 hours running.

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Training run 2/91 completed.  Training MIles 8/691 completed.

4M/33,  middle 2.5 miles varied from 8mm to 7mm pace.

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Barmy/Netan (why has the name changed?)  I have said numerous times now that I will do the LSR slower than the 3:15 plan.  In fact my plan right now (could change who knows) is if I am doing a run on the treadmill then it is to the 3:15 plan (generally speedy ones) if it is on the road it will be to the 3:30 plan.  

yeah good luck in the half. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Erm, dunno really. I've never trained less than 5 days a week so don't know how I'd carve it up. Looks okay, but have I understood right that you're planning to do exactly the same thing every week? If it was me I'd want to build on it a bit, even if only adding an extra mile here and there. You could very slowly build for three weeks and then cut back in the fourth. Or every few weeks stick an extra mile on the long run (then keep it there).

As for the progression run, I also tend to have a medium-long run that is approx 2/3 the length of my long run, but if it is your one 'session' you might vary that too - you could do 2 miles warm-up, 5 miles MP, 1 mile cool-down, for example. Or make it a bit longer and put some strides in it another week.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    NTWC - If you only want to run 4 times a week and don`t want to increase mileage then that plan looks ok to me.

Have you got any races planned for later on in the year?
  • Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

5M/41 tomorrow.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

has anyone run stevenage before? Im thinking of having this as a backup in case Abingdon goes tits up for whatever reason. The fairlands valley marathon route doesnt interest me but if this is a flattish road marathon it might be interesting.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    It's only run once every 10 years. The route hasn't been announced yet.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I know the town quite well - my folks live out that way.  I guess its just about understanding the route a bit better because the website seems light on detail.

I think i'll line this one up. No idea if I'll end up running it not at this stage.

• Options

The route isn't announced yet, all i've managed to find out is that it won;t be 2 laps of the half marathon.

I think it is a falacy that Stevenage is flat, there is a noticable height difference between the south west corner and the rest of the town. There are no large hills but it is draggy. There are also a lot of false flats rather than ups and downs. That said if the course loops on to Gunnels Way there is a few miles with almost no elevation so it's idle speculation until the course is announced!

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

5M/41

Training Run 3/91 completed, Miles 13/691 completed.

Sure is hot out there, T shirt needed wringing out. Could that be an advantage doing training in hot weather ready for, hopefully, a mild mid autumn marathon.  Knee feels better today too which is a relief.  4/30 is tomorrow's run.