Options

Sub 3:30 Stevenage Marathon 2 November

Comments

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good luck Basher!

Where can I see this 3:15 plan?  Did you post a link?

It's not too late for you to buy a copy of 'Advanced Marathoning', head over to the P&D Autumn Marathon Training thread, and jump onto the 18wk/55mpw bus.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I googled it marrows but the plan I found had names of training paces (sensible) rather than 'run exactly this distance in exactly this time'. Is 4/30 4 miles in 30 minutes? If so I'd suggest a mile or so gently warming up first if you must do it.

• Options
    Basher wrote (see)

Knee feels better today too which is a relief.  4/30 is tomorrow's run.

Is that not ringing any alarm bells? Week 1 and you are expressing relief about an injury?

I will be honest I have only read some of the posts on this thread but I wish that I had read similar ones at the start of this year when i was training for the Manchester Marathon - training to how fit you want to be rather than how fit you actually are goes wrong.

• Options

I think this is it, 2 laps:

http://serunner.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/image1.png

Strangely the only link I can find on the FVS site doesn;t include the marathon or half but does have the summer events

http://www.fvspartans.org.uk/?s=route

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Yes. That's the normal half. All we know is the marathon will not be four laps of that but will probably two laps of something.

I also saw some 'chatter' on the Facebook page about the price difference not being much because there's not a lot of difference between the half and the full as far as support/tshirt/medal goes. I suspect they'll be using the half route and extending it at some point rather that organising a separate race.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    And it's billed at traffic free so there's a limit to where it can go.
  • Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    It available to view at the library. Looks like it might go on line soon. If I can get to the library I'll photograph it.
  • Options

Tim I'm assuming that that's the main Library and not the one in old town?

I'll also try an pop in on my way home tomorrow or Friday and get a pic in case you don't

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭
    2wheels wrote (see)
    Basher wrote (see)

Knee feels better today too which is a relief.  4/30 is tomorrow's run.

Is that not ringing any alarm bells? Week 1 and you are expressing relief about an injury?

I will be honest I have only read some of the posts on this thread but I wish that I had read similar ones at the start of this year when i was training for the Manchester Marathon - training to how fit you want to be rather than how fit you actually are goes wrong.

The injury was from playing football, nothing to do with running.  Seems better now and tomorrow is an easy day and friday is a rest day anyway.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    2wheels wrote (see)

The route isn't announced yet, all i've managed to find out is that it won;t be 2 laps of the half marathon.

I think it is a falacy that Stevenage is flat, there is a noticable height difference between the south west corner and the rest of the town. There are no large hills but it is draggy. There are also a lot of false flats rather than ups and downs. That said if the course loops on to Gunnels Way there is a few miles with almost no elevation so it's idle speculation until the course is announced!

Theres a road through the middle of it called Six Hills Way. There's a clue right there image

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I've never been able to work out why it's called that.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

From what I recall of the town its undulating rather than hilly for the most part. Id be surprised if this was a PB friendly marathon all the same

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Did the 4M/30 at lunch.  Hot hot hot out there, Tennis tonight then a restful Friday before parkrun.

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

4/91 Training Runs completed

17/691 Training Miles completed

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

5M/42 today.

nice and easy, have one of those knee supports on now which is helpful, first LSR tomorrow, hope to get it out of the way early before it is too hot will take a camelback if i can find it.

5/91 training runs completed

22/691 training miles completed

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

12M/1:48 this morning.  Started at 7:30 so not to hot all good basically no drop off in pace, was toughish but still had some left in the tank at the end.

34/691 training miles

6/91 training runs.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

It's not quite Samir Haddad but it's got potential 

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Took it easy as advised nayan.  Did 12 x 8 minute miles about A month ago But people said should take it easier as there is no need for speed, just time and mileage under the belt.  

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    If you can do 12x8min miles in training then your half time is more likely to be 1:42 not 1:52. You really are wasting your time unless you know what your current half race pace is.
  • Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

I did 1:52 back in March when I was just started.  Could surely go under 1:45 now, perhaps 1:40.  

• Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Well I cant really run a full tilt HM now training has started.  I am supposed to do a full tilt 10k in 3 weeks' time and a HM in 7 weeks' time, can re assess expectations then if necessary.  Toughie is Tuesday's speed session coming up. Itis just running, no one is gonna die, just see how we go.  

• Options

Ive got a 1:37 half pb yet I wouldn't want to be doing 12x8mm in training. Is this still the sub 3:15 plan you're following or have you taken any of the advice on here?

I hope maybe next year to target a 3:30 marathon so will follow your progress with interest.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    You have around 16weeka to go until Stevenage. I havn't even started my 12 week plan and haven't run at all for over two weeks now.

A full tilt half will do you no harm whatsoever. I ran about 4 of them training for London. You should be able to recover from a half in about two weeks.
  • Options
    BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Andy... Doing 9mm LSR as per the 3:30 plan.  I shallbe doing the speedy runs onthe treadmilland will try the3:15 times but think Iwill struggle.  Tuesday the big test...3x(2M/13 minutes)

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I don't think 3:30 is on unless you have a 1:35ish PB and can be pretty sure of beating 1:40 in any HM you race. so 1:45-ish should be a piece of piss. Just as well because you're doing two of those back to back.

For me, Your ideal race plan would have you reaching halfway in about 1:44, then judging whether you can keep the same pace at 20 miles. If you manage to hold in there between  mile 23 and the end without losing too much pace to come home sub 3:30 thats a major result.

You reckon (but don't know for sure) that you can do 1:40 for a HM on a good day? great. Forget about 3:30.  Focus on sub 4h