Options

Is iit being too ambitious to aim for half-ironman in the next 18months?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks gazhilla.

I am little confused though by the conflicting advice i have received on yhis topic - some lije yourself have said go for it others have advised taking it one step at a time.

I suppose its down to the individual.The bike leg of the outlaw half is 56 miles and the sportive i am doing in october is 65k or 40miles unless i am wrong and is 16 miles less than outlaw half bike leg so will see how the sportive goes.
  • Options

Seriously, if you can do 15 miles now you only need to add 1 mile per week to get up to that in less than 12 months! 

That really isn't hard. 

• Options
    People who say wait have no sense of the now....

Just go for it... Some people wait for ever to do the things some people do now
  • Options

Although, in fairness, agree with Seren as well, that you need to work on that running pace... in order to face up to a HIM, you need to be able to run that 5k in not far off half your current time, or you'd never make the cut-offs. I'd be looking to run at least half a mile at 8 min pace within a few weeks, and if that's too much, then set your sights lower than a HIM. However the only thing stopping you running that half mile at that pace is in your head. Just depends how much you want it.....

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

I only say don't rush as most newbies to running and biking make massive improvements quickly......

Trinolonger isn't one of them.......doesn't mean that she can't or won't make it.If she wants to I'm 100% sure that she can.....

but after running a while she is still taking 48 minutes for a 5k........most of you would have been able to do that on your very first run  even unfit and smoking etc.....

most people can walk that pace.......so we have to accept that the OP is coming to this from a different starting point and her gains are slower.....

that doesn't mean that her runs and cycling is crap.its that she has found her pace.and will have to work hard to build up distance and speed....

I'm sure that she can and that she will........But from her previous posts it is going to take time.and entering a longer race now would mean she would have a very high chance of being pulled because of cutoffs.......

so keep on training hard...your shorter goals are great......see how improvements come...and if they start coming in leaps and bounds then is the time to enter a race.........there is no rush......

As a suggestion for a first half.the Cotswolds 113 people do 2  half distances .they are flat and very beginner friendly......they do not fill up too quickly and you can go there and recce the course.the course organiser is usually willing to go out with you on the bike and will give advise if you are well within reasonable times or not

• Options

As mentioned previously I have just done my first HIM.  I would consider myself reasonably fit and have been exercising for years.  I found the HIM at the weekend the hardest event of my life and I've done a fair few hard events.  Might have been down to the heat and not fuelling and hydrating enough, but it was my first one and Iearned a lot.

I suffer with nerves and my confidence is very fragile.  I know personally I could not jump straight in at the deepend and do a HIM or Ironman.  Total respect to those of you that can.  It only takes one slight dent in my confidence and I hit rock bottom.  It would take me months and months to build my self esteem back up and I know if I got pulled from an event for one reason or another I'd be devastated.

These longer distances are different and for me personally, I know I would have to enter some other events leading up to it, which slowly builds my confidence.

Keep at it Trinolongernewbie.  You have said you're in no hurry.  Use the winter time to get out running, concentrate on your swimming and do some spinning classes when the weather is totally pants/snowy.  Enter the HIM event you have in mind, whether that be next year or the year after, and in the meantime just keep working hard.  You will have a goal to achieve which really helps with the motivation.

• Options
    Thanks Road to nowhere and everyone else for the advice & encouragement. I will get my final sprint tri for this year & the TONF cycle sportive out of the way then will start working on my swimming,cycling & running.
  • Options

I would use the winter time to focus on strength work - if you can find a body pump class near you and go twice a week and a bit of cardio.  Strong muscles will help you avoid injury and they burn more calories so you loose a bit of extra weight which always helps you go faster!  Speaking of which the above is my goal over this winter image I will lifting heavy things and running!

• Options
    Hi SuckitupButtercup

Looking forward to doing Tour of The National Forest with you on 5 October. Hope weather will be kind to us!

Just have a few questions:

How many feed stations are there & can you stop at them?

What is the slowest finish time? Just so i know what i need to do to ensure i sm quicker!
  • Options
    Of course you can stop at a feed station Just keep an eye out for other people, don't suddenly stop right in the middle of a feed

Stop worrying about cut offs !
  • Options
    Thanks Dave its just i have never done this type of event before.

With regard to cut offs and to stop worrying abt them - i am getting impression from some of the posts on this thread that people think i am not fast enough to make cut off times - fair enough i suppose based on previous posts however this does not mean i cdnt do what this post was about. I didnt know if i wd finish my first sprint triathlon - i had only done one long bike ride of 13 or 14 miles,slightly longer thsn the bike leg of a sprint tri, but i did much to my own surprise.

I will still work on my swimming,biking & running will decide on next years events after i have done the Sportive in October.
  • Options

I think you need to sort out a training program, and start putting some proper focus in to what you are aiming for.

• Options

Tbh it's a sportive chook and no body really cares as long as you are back by 4.30 ish (when they pack up and go home), and tbvh if it takes us 7hrs to do 65k we are in deep stoock image I cant see it taking us that long! Also I think there is one feed station on the 65k route.

• Options

65k in 7 hours...  That's only 6mph, Don't you tend to fall off at the speed cos you aren't going fast enough to stay upright ?

• Options

image only if I cant unclip fast enough!

• Options
    Hi SuckitupButtercup

I dont think it will take that long the fastezt i have been is 13mph so far but am sure i can go faster especually downhill!

Plenty of time for me to work on my speed and distance before the event.
  • Options

This is a question for IGIT - can you remember what the cut off times are and are they just for the swim & bike or for all three elements?

I thought if I knew the cut off times for each element then I could work on completing the distances within the cut-off times - I have given myself 12-18 months to do this so am looking at 2016/2017 to do my first half ironman,

Operation Lichfield  Sprint started today with a run session at my tri club - boy was it hot! 

I also have a new bike - its a Boulder Giant mountain bike in Yellow & way lighter than my other bike! - it has gone for a full service as I bought from a friend at work (asked her what she wanted for it it and she said £50 -bargain as guy in the bike shop said brand new it would cost £300). When I get it back I will take it out for a test ride.

• Options

IIGIT -  forgot to say cut off times for the outlaw half

However if anyone knows what they are for the Wild Boar it would he helpful too,

• Options
    And hour ten for swim, five hours thirty for bike
  • Options

Thanks so to be sure thats 1hr and 10mins to complete 1.2 miles and 51/2 hours to complete 56 miles on the bike but no cut off for the run?

Something to work towards for the rest of this year and next year - will see at halfway point next year if I am ready to sign up for my first Half IM in 2016 or if I need more time - timescales are not set in stone.

• Options
    If you use the link you get the competitors briefing pack

9 hours overall cutoff
  • Options
    Cut offs are cumulative, so 5 :30 after your start to the end of the bike

So around 4 hours 10 for the bike or 12 mph
  • Options

Out of interest why did you buy a mountain bike? Yku do have a road bike don't you?

• Options
    I wasn't going there

I've just googled it, what on earth did you buy that for ?
  • Options
    Wanted another bike so what if its another mountain bike? No i dont have road bike & dont want one. Wasnt asking for opinion just stating i had another bike.
  • Options

Touchy just trying to help, You are talking about making cut offs now you don't want to use a road bike? Using a mountain bike for a tri is like using cloggs for ballet dancing, are you sure you are not a troll? Oh and no more opinion from meimage

• Options
    Well as you can't use a mountain bike in tri's apart from little club events, and certainly not for HIM's and IM's you better buy a road bike..

Sorry, I thought you were serious and was trying to help.

Have you considered knitting ?
  • Options

Cough! Remember......it's not a knitting clubimage

• Options
    Sorry if i sounded touchy but i managed with a mountain bike for both my sprint tris- ok i didnt win but i finished.if i had room & cd afford a road bike i wd get one however i have read that as long as you have a roadworthy bike you can do triathlon or is it only sprint? If thats the case a lot of people due to incone may be prevented from progressing surelythats not what triathlon is about.

I am in it because i enjoy it but if i feel i am not good enough because i dont have the latest bike etc the fun will disappear along with the motivation to train.