Options

Is iit being too ambitious to aim for half-ironman in the next 18months?

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for the encouragement & support & faith in me but serens is right i am not ready for middle distance yet even next year as i have a lot to do - working up to 1.9k in the water, increasing bike miles or time in saddle & being able to run 13 miles.i need to be able to do 10k comfortably first. The longer i have to do this the better for me anyway.
  • Options
    GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    No you don't. My first Tri was Outlaw this year, there was somebody else on here in the same boat, Gh0st maybe. Go for it, train for it and you'll finish it, I promise.
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Regarding FC vs breast stroke - what is it about FC that you don't like?  Breast stroke in a wetsuit may well give you pain in your knees and hips, particularly over 1.9km.  I really would recommend swallowing your pride/issues with FC and investing more time in learning how to do that stroke properly.  There's a reason why it's tiring (I don't know what that reason will be for you) but if you do it more, you will improve.  Seasoned athletes are giving you sound advice here.  You sometimes appear rather resistant to their suggestions.

Aside from that, keep at it, you will succeed.

• Options
    I foind the breathing difficult ; faster i go the harder it is. I appreciate the advice & will look into private 1 2 1 but at endif day its down to petsonal choice & has i dont have a wetsuot icant know until i try how difficut bteaststroke is in a wetsuit.

I did msnage fc ok until i was put off; i had breathing sorted too.
  • Options
    Take it from us, breast stroke whilst wearing a wet suit is hard hard work...

And it's highly unlikely you will ever do a middle or long not wearing a wettie
  • Options
    Excuse typos done on mobile phone with fat fingers lol
  • Options
    Not in this country at any rate lol.
  • Options
    Sorry didn't realise your ambitions lay abroad
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I do not do fast in swimming fc, but still managed to beat cut off times for swim in half and half IM distance. Slower can be smoother and therefore faster. At least you have an option in doing breaststroke, due to a permanent back problem I cannot do the leg kick for breaststroke.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I still feel I need to push you on the FC, TriNewbie.  If you don't try it, don't give coaches the opportunity to see you swim, they can't advise and you won't improve. You may not need 1-2-1 tuition, coaching at a club swim may do it, if you have a suitable session available to you.   Breathing is different depending on speed/effort level.

Yes, it is your choice, but few people are here commending breast stroke as a strong/clear strategy for a long distance swim.

Learning new skills is hard, ask many of us how we got on when we first tried to ride our bikes with shoes clipped to the pedals.  Everyone is trying to give you advice that will help you move faster, or smoother, or with less effort.  Yet, I feel you are resisting us.

• Options

This may sound silly Trinewbie but are you breathing out properly when your face is under water? You need to get rid of all your breath before you turn to take a new one - I found fc a lot easier when I got my breathing under control and didn't try to take a breath and breath out when I turned my head image

• Options
    Sorry if u think that - maybe i shdnt bother with anything bigger than sprint. I appreciate & understand the advice i am being given but my experience re bei g taught fc has not been good so far so am wary of starting again.
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Actually, I think you should do whatever it is that you want to do.  However, I think you should be more receptive to advice being given by others and willing to accept that things might feel crappy before they improve.  I can show you the bruises and scars for my progression in bike proficiency.

I think that Dave, CJ, and SIUBC have all made valid points about front crawl this afternoon.  

I also think that you would be the exception to the rule regarding a faster/better performance at breast stroke vs front crawl over 1.9km in a triathlon.

Don't get me wrong, I raced my early sprint triathlons breast stroke, however after that first year, every other race I have completed has been front crawl.  I was a poor swimmer, still am, but it was only after grimly committing to learning front crawl that my swim times improved.  I've also heard many a person say how sore they were after having to complete at long distance swim breast stroke.

And while you may think I'm being overly assertive, I do think you can do a half IM in 2016 if you want to but you've got to keep at it, got to keep training and you've got to lose weight (which you will do if you do the training).  I do have faith you in, if you put the work in, I wouldn't bother interjecting here if I didn't.

• Options
    But even if you stick to sprints, don't you want to be as quick as possible ?

No way you could be really quick doing breaststroke when others are doing FC..

Settle down with your tri club coach and get them to properly asses you and get you pointed in the right direction...

When I first started I could only do breast stroke, and so badly I needed a rest every other length, a couple of months squad coaching and I had sorted out breathing doing FC, and now I swim for fun

I'm still no great shakes as a swimmer ( I stood next to Mouse at my last swim start ) but I can get round and still have enough left for the bike & run
  • Options
    Thanks I am prepared to give front crawl another try if i get same person otherwise same thing will happen : i will make some progress then go backwards with someone else.

Thanks to you everyone for the advice & faith that i can do a HIM in 2016.just need to have a heart to heart with one of the club coaches re fc coaching.

SuckitButtercup - i do blow out underwater - breathing i had working for me but then coach changed & suddenly everything was wrong
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

All coaches will have their own opinion on how to do things.
    My swim coach is old school in style and does not like it when I swim in an OW style for my arms but accepts it as he does not like wetsuits as he is a channel swimmer but understands my wanting and wearing one in OW.

I tried and failed at HIM in 2013 but trained more consistently and concentrated on my weakness (bike) and succeeded this year, slow but did it.

• Options
    Hi tbh bike was & probably still is weakest despite doing 36miles. Swimming distance doesnt faze me but doing it fc does at the moment. Running needs work too but that will happen eventually.
  • Options

I'm glad you are willing to give it another go wrt front crawl, it's not easy to master and it may take some time and at times it will feel like you aren't getting anywhere but it really is worth persevering with ....

trust us, we're piratesimage

• Options
    Hi Steadycj

The fact that all coaches have their own way doesnt help people unless they stick with one person but if u end up with someone else because the regular coach is on holiday/sick etc it can set your progress back - thats what happened to me & as i didnt enjoy fc anyway it pushed me to stop doing it altogether that is why i am not hopeful of a more successful outcome second time around.

I am going to try again but not hopeful things will be different. I am also confused as in another thread on the forum 'swimming breaststroke in a tri' some have had said they swam breaststroke in a HIM & one said they have no intention of doing fc. It has been said you can do any stroke you like in tri except backstroke especially in open water.

However that said i will give fc another go.
  • Options
    No one has said you can't do breaststroke in a tri, BUT a swimming wet suit isn't designed for breaststroke, so not only isn't the stroke less efficient you will also waste a lot of energy over coming the restrictive nature of the wetsuit.

The fact you say you're not hopeful is putting a block in the way already
  • Options
    Maybe but i will see what happens next week -one week at a time.
  • Options
    No maybe about it...

Lots of us have been there and proudly wear the t shirts
  • Options

why not swim in the pool 4 lengths breaststroke.... 4 lengths front crawl......and repeat.... give it a go for a while......

• Options

piece of advice that someone gave me once: Don't create your own mental barriers

It is up to you what stroke you do, but if you learn front crawl you will find things easier. I have gone in two years from not being able to do front crawl at all to this year doing the outlaw (iron distance triathlon) swim. I wouldn't have wanted to do it breaststroke. Learning front crawl is hard, but worth it

• Options
    I went from 1 length breast stroke on Jan 13th, to completing an IM on Sep 1st of the same year....

It's possible if you stop telling yourself it isn't
  • Options
    Assume u did it fc. Think i will do what serens but should i try it at lichfield on 7 sept or stick to breaststroke?
  • Options
    No just thougjt u were being ironic lol. Hows Andy holgate - read sbt his accident on his blog. Hope hes on the mend.