Options

lakeland 50/ 100

Comments

• Options
    I completed the L50 back in 2012, ran marathons but not done an Ultra since. I want to enter the 2016 L100. Would this be too much to soon, considering I've got practically a year to train, hills etc on my doorstep etc?

Obviously I'd look to do a couple of 50 races in the years training etc.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Biggest challenge is signing up, there was only a 15-20m window max this year. 

• Options

yes i read! i'm already registered with sientries so i've covered that base.

doing the L50 was the best experience of my life, i'm hopefully starting my teacher training in september 2016 so aside from my day job of being a teaching assistant (half 3 finishes!) i want something big to focus on.  the L100 has been on my bucketlist and i see the next year as the perfect opportunity to throw myself into it.

i live near bolton, i'm couple of miles away from rivington/winter hill here in lancashire and have the penines on my doorstep so training environment is perfect.

• Options

right calf was tight all last weekend so have made the decision to change to my usual extreme taper and do no running this week at all....

I cant risk it getting so tight it tears,..... I know its just probably the taper monster rearing its head to scare me but I'm not taking any chances....

• Options

my right calf is still a bit tight...hopefully all in my  mind.

making my way northwards tomorrow morning

• Options

Good luck seren - ignore that taper monster!

Will be thinking jealously of you all this weekend. You sound as though you have given yourself every chance with your preparation - have a great race!

• Options
    sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    I'm only 40/60 decided on running, still got a little issue left over from the Dragons Back.
  • Options

hope that you feel good enough to do it Sean

Thanks LNandB.... really worked hard on this.....been my focus for nearly 12 months now......hopefully 40 hrs together with hubby will not result in a divorce  image

• Options
    sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    I'm on hols in coniston so can leave the decision until last minute, hopefully help out in one of the CP's if not. It's all good....already got my shirt.
  • Options
    Very best of luck Seren. Have a great race - you've put in the training so I'm sure you'll rock it!
  • Options
    sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    I'm only 40/60 decided on running, still got a little issue left over from the Dragons Back.
  • Options

That was an amazing race........its not the fact its 105 miles.its not the 23000 ft of climbing.........its the technicality of those trails.the constant stones of all kinds that make it so hard underfoot.so many places I couldnt run.....

Just infornt of cutoffs the whole way......

arrived in Mardale head knackered to find several people infront of me dropping out as they felt they couldnt make the cutoffs for the end.....

Unless I missed a cutoff I was not going to stop.......gambled at ambleside with a 15 minute nap......took away some time but re energised us both enough to crack on with the next 2 stages........a good pace meant that we hit Tilberthwaite with 2 hours to do the final section.......for the first time I knew we would beat the cutoffs..

ran the last mile with a smile on our faces for a finish of 39:33

cant recommend this race enough... great marshalling and the checkpoints were something different........but it does deserve some respect as it is brutal in places....

we were lucky with perfect weather.and were rewarded with some absolutely stunning scenery

• Options

Good work.  I was surprised at how many people ahead of me at checkpoints pulled out during Xreid.  Injury may account for some but...  Definitely adds weight to the "more mental than physical" theory.

Back next year?

• Options
    sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    I decided to commit in the end; it was scrappy though.
  • Options

I won't be back next year..........some races I want to go back and beat my time as i think I could go faster.......I did that when i did the 50 in 2010......

but I dont think I could train any harder or race any faster than I did this year......

I have done the race and I dont think I could improve on that performance.........I will leave the 100 on a high and with great memories..

will look for a new challenge for next year  image

Sean.did you manage a finish then......would be a great result when you were so doubtful of starting

• Options
    sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    Well done Seren; that's a long time out.
  • Options
    sean Oc 4sean Oc 4 ✭✭✭
    Yep; a nadges knacker under 35 hours. I was pretty happy just to finish this time.
  • Options

Well Done to all finishers from me! Can I ask for clarification of the results, if anyone knows, in the 50 mile race was the next to last finisher really 80 years old?

• Options

yes Jim he was.....

he fell near the last checkpoint and had some friends help him on the last leg....he had to go off to hospital afterwards to be checked out ........but the guy was ok.

he also had a little help on course carrying his pack......

but he did do the entire course himself

pretty amazing effort for that course.....

a few in their 70s as well I believe

• Options

Well done seren. Was stalking you on the leaderboard (assuming I had the right husband and wife pair!) and although you may have felt that you were cutting it fine, just looking at your times as an armchair viewer, you simply appeared to be making steady progress and executing your plan. Many congratulations.

Sean - that is awesome. I'm seriously impressed that you can back to back this and the Dragon's Back! What is the next big challenge?

• Options
    Wow, Seren, massive well done! I can't contemplate running 100 miles, and that particular ultra is known to be a serious beast. You're amazing, fab going.

Also, was it Donner Kebab I think that I was talking to at the Outlaw afterwards - another excellent performance.

Hurrah for all of you - nutters!
  • Options

thanks both...

we wanted a challenge and we definitely got one  image

• Options

Thanks for the reply seren nos & a Huge Well Done from me. I'm sure there are many superb stories to be told in both of the races. I would love to be able to complete the 50 & I can't imagine what preparation is needed for the 100. 

Harry Johnson & others are truly positive signs of what can be done. I do wonder what their running history is like.

• Options

from his top I think he is a long time cyclist........if you add to that a lot of hill walking I imagine you would be fit enough to get through this......

the 50 hour has a much more generous cutoff and can be walked as ling as you walk purposely

Our main focus was not to hang around at checkpoints as it can eat away at your time.....we were in and out in a couple of minutes apart from 3

• Options

congratulations , just found this forum lurking at the bottom of the page..  Spoke to a 100 finisher as we watched you and Terry run the last few hundred meters, I said you appeared to be touch and go at all of the last 60 miles checkpoints, BUT he was having none of it '' just good planning '' he said, and you can't argue with these legends!

• Options

was great to get a hug of support on the way out and back into coniston Citizen.....

looking at the results there where only 10 people behind us at checkpoint 2.......and none of those finished

as well as another 80 odd who didnt finish........I am still really chuffed that we made the cutoffs for this race.......the memories are still all good  .the checkpoints are amazing......

I would recommend everyone to be on the button to enter the 50 at least on the 1st of september image

• Options

everyone on RW forum should do this once.  even walking  the 50 (as I did in the 2 previous years )  was a beautiful experience.  It's the DNFs that show the metal of the 100.  My people are planning a fourth time at the 50 to get below 15 hours next time  slowly but surely contemplating the 100imageimage

• Options
    So, for someone who has just entered their first 100 (SW100 in June '16) any top tips on training, nutrition, kit etc?
  • Options
    Run lots, eat lots, buy cheap buy twice.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Ha!  So you've entered, MTri?  Marathon training but the long run much longer.  This can be done in training or enter some shorter ultras and treat them as training runs/experimenting with gear rather than racing them - you'll need a couple of 50 milers at the very least.

The main approaches to the distance are either back-to-back long runs building up to a max of 20+30 miles, or single very long runs.  I'm in the latter camp since the single long run more replicates what you are going to have to do on the day.  Back-to-backs would seem to me to more suit multi-day ultras.  The longest run I did when 100 training was 60 miles (from my house to the summit of Pen y Fan and back).

Nutrition is about eating fairly constantly, right from the beginning, and never letting your stomach empty.  You will almost certainly want to use real food rather than endless gels and sugary things which will make you nauseous.

You will need much more fluid than you would ever imagine, especially on a hot day.  

You will need to spend a fortune on different shoes and socks looking for the elusive combination that does not cause blisters (and still end up not finding it, but hopefully finding some combination that more or less works).

Unfortunately I'm not running 100s at the moment.  I have had two DNFs with rhabdomyolysis and don't want a third, when I could do irreparable kidney damage. (You might want to look that up - it is a risk for ultrarunners, largely caused by lack of conditioning or dehydration, or both).