Options

Sub 3 Tom: #asics262

Comments

• Options

Steve, what would you suggest as a good hill session? I'm going to go to Saltwell Park in Gateshead on Tuesday where there are a variety. What sort of gradient, how long should it take to get up it and how many reps? I've roped a friend in as well so won't have to struggle on my own. Bearing in mind the county champs just 4 days later I don't want to overdo it, but a hill session will give me confidence on that Wollaton Park climb!

• Options

CC2 - yesterday our group did 4 warm up efforts of 20-25 seconds then 12 x an approx 250m hill which is about 1 in 10 and took around 80-90 seconds.

Felt ok today so didn't totally wipe me out.

With a Saturday race in mind, you might be better limiting it to 10 x 60 seconds with a 90 second jog back but you could finish with a few shorter 30 second efforts where you work just slightly faster and drive the arms a little more vigorously.

• Options

Congratulations on making the final five!

A big hello to all the regulars on this thread. I will be very interested to read what marathon (s) you have all signed up to this year!

For those that are new, my name is Ruth and I am the ASICS PRO TEAM Dietitian. I will become a regular feature on your thread from the 5th January (when eating and usual routines have returned to normal!!). My main focus is to optimise training & recovery with the most up to date advice in sport nutrition and of course help plan race day fuelling.

Have a great Christmas & New Year.

Ruth  

• Options

Hello again Ruth, we can all look forward to picking your brain again image

(London for me again)

• Options

Running with others is a rare luxury! I agree that it makes training easier – either chasing or being pushed by others.

Charles – Manchester is a week after Paris and week before London right? Love your attitude and no doubt you will smash it! To run sub-3 in your first marathon would be incredible.

Today I ran 6M at 7:15 miles. Felt good throughout, so like Steve the hill session didn’t completely wipe me out! I wanted to go quicker but was cautious to stick to the pace. Tomorrow I’ve got a pace session - 2 miles slow, 4M block of marathon pace (6:50), 1 mile slow (7M).

Running bunny – your outfit sounds awesome! Can we see pictures pleaseimage

Hi Ruth – really looking forward to the nutrition advice. It’s an area which I’ve become more aware of and interested in recently and I know Roger said that it helped him hugely last year. Thanks for giving us Christmas off. It definitely wouldn’t feel the same if I had to abstain from a few things! 

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Hi Tom, just catching up on the thread and glad you've made a solid start. You are in good hands with Steve (Hi coach!) and Ruth.

The easy pace runs do seem very fast to me. I run easy in anything over 8.30mm by comparison but every one is different i guess. If Steve's ok with it then that's the main thing.

I'm doing London on a GFA this year and in theory going for sub 3 as well. This said i'll settle for any improvement to the PB (3.04) as the plan B as 2014 has been abit average for me running wise.

Long way to go but best of luck and enjoy the experience. 

Merry xmas to all btw!

• Options

I'll post a pic on twitter just for you Tom!!!image Merry Christmas to everyone on the sub3 thread... 

• Options

Merry Christmas everyone - Hi Andy - good to see you have continued the improvement. Hi Ruth - good diet starts later in the week.

Good run again Tom. don't have to go that much faster for marathon pace tomorrow.

Wish I could run comfortable 7:15s - . I did 8 miles and one mile was at that speed - but it was with a strong wind behind and very slightly downhill! My first mile was over 9:00 but got down to an average of 7:40. parkrun tomorrow.

• Options

7.15s is anything but comfortable for me. I consider it a no-mans land pace. Not fast enough to be worthy of speedwork but too fast for an easy or long run!

11.6 miles this morning including parkrun in 19.39. That did not feel like HMP I can tell you. It was pretty much all out 5k pace! But the fastest I've run on that course by 27 seconds (20.06 on 28th Dec last year), so I must at least be starting the schedule in better shape than last year.

• Options

Well run cc2 - you must be getting into better shape.

i had been hopeful of a similar time but I couldn't get any faster than HAlf-marathon pace and never really got into race mode in my parkrun.

• Options

Happy belated Christmas all. 

First time running on Christmas day for me and absolutely loved it! I even dragged my brother out with me! I'm not a morning person and always run in the afternoons or evenings, so waking up early and running before the sun was up was new for me.

A pace session was on the cards - 2 miles slow, 4M block of marathon pace, 1 mile slow (7M).

I ran the first 2 miles at 9:00 minute miles which actually felt a decent pace, but probably only because I was half asleep! Then 4 miles at marathon pace - the first 2 of these included some pretty steep hills so averaged at 7:20, but then the subsequent 2 were flat / downhill so averaged at 6:40. After the 4m block, the final mile felt much slower but after looking at my splits I actually ran it at 7:30. 

Christmas lunch never tasted so good and guilt free! 

Rest day today. Tomorrow I'm going to push myself against the clock in a 4.3m race. Looks like it might be snowy under foot though.

• Options

Well don't keep us in suspense. Did you wear the santa hat or not?!

• Options

I wore a santa hat for my Christmas day run. image

• Options

I didn't, but I don't actually have one. I would have done if I had. 

• Options

Haha no I didn't. I must have forgotten in my sleepy daze. I did wear a Christmas pudding hat on a dog walk today though!

Good effort literatin! What was your Christmas day run?

• Options

It was just 5 miles down (and back up) a muddy hill in the Sussex countryside. The santa hats were 2 for a pound from a market stall in Nottingham and purchased for festive parkrun on Saturday, which I ran very slowly due to the (almost) gale-force wind.

• Options

Well done Tom on your christmas day run, it's a great day to run isn't it! If you really want to see the pic of my outfit, my twitter name is @liznocton...image

Take care if it's snowy underfoot for your 4.3mile race tomorrow Tom! I'm a bit concerned for my 8miler on Sunday; fingers crossed it's melted by then...

• Options

Sounds brilliant literatin. The muddier the better in my opinion! 

Impressive outfit Elizabeth, and not a bad tree eitherimage 

Fortunately the snow didn't lay where I am, but I still didn't have the greatest run today. Averaged 6:14 minute miles over 4.3 undulating miles. Hoped to run closer to 6 minute miles but I couldn't quite get into my stride. I may have gone overboard on the layers with hat, gloves, under layer top, (man) tights, and fleece top! I would always race light so was definitely a mistake wearing so much!  

Tomorrow is 12M relaxed in 90mins (7:30 pace). Need to spend some time on google maps looking for a good route! 

• Options

Well done on the race today - 6:14 is ok for an undulating run on a cold day - what was the event?

I did a club cross-country event over 7.5 miles and was slow but at least ran a strong last lap and hope to go long tomorrow. 

• Options

I was slow on purpose today. It was frosty and icy underfoot so I shuffled round the dodgy bits and opened out on the dry bits of parkrun. Didn't even time it separately from the run there and back. I wished I had more layers on. By the time I got home my fingers were so sore I didn't even bother rounding up the mileage from 11.95 to 12 as I was so desperate to get warm!

• Options
    Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

Well done on the race today - 6:14 is ok for an undulating run on a cold day - what was the event?

I did a club cross-country event over 7.5 miles and was slow but at least ran a strong last lap and hope to go long tomorrow. 

I was just on my own as opposed to an organised XC race or park run. No club race this week and don't have car access to get to the nearest park run!!!

• Options
    CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

I was slow on purpose today. It was frosty and icy underfoot so I shuffled round the dodgy bits and opened out on the dry bits of parkrun. Didn't even time it separately from the run there and back. I wished I had more layers on. By the time I got home my fingers were so sore I didn't even bother rounding up the mileage from 11.95 to 12 as I was so desperate to get warm!

Thought about investing in some ice skatesimage 

• Options

Nice 12M run today to finish off week 1:

/members/images/858296/Gallery/28_Dec_Run.JPG

Felt really good. The only downside was I did two 6M loops and I much prefer doing one longer loop or an out and back run. Also learnt my lesson from yesterday and didn't throw on my Arctic suit! 

Loving the Kayano shoes. Unbelievably comfortable!

• Options

I don't think I'd be able to stop at 11.97 if it was me.

• Options

Great running today Tom. I think I am with literatin though, I could not stop at 11.97 if it was me also. 

• Options

Haha I know! The first loop was 6M exactly so I didn't even look at my watch when I finished. The average pace being 7:31 rather than the suggested 7:30 annoys me more though! 

• Options

yes think you will need to go back and do the 0.3 tonight! actually with the hills was worth more than 12.

Good paced run and encouraging it felt so good and looks like quite a few hills.

So a good end to first week though many more miles to go.

I went a bit longer today and felt much worse much earlier which was down to insufficient fuelling.

However, instead of slowing badly in last third of run when back on own which I did last week, this time I felt stronger and picked up again from earlier pace which was surprise having felt so average at halfway so must be getting fitter

• Options

I'd be interested to know everyone's thoughts on gels for the longer runs. Effectiveness, best brands, various types etc... I don't know much about it and there seems to be a lot of conflicting stuff online!

• Options

That is encouraging steve. What distance were you doing?