Options

NOTTINGHAM MARATHON/EARPHONES

Comments

• Options

And it may be against the rules, but is there really anyone who never drives too fast or parks their car where they shouldn't "just for a minute"?

Yep. I'll do what i like..f**k the rules eh?

Thats my problem mate. I listen to music whilst on my long run if i'm on my own, but don't in a race (not that I would if i was allowed, but thats my choice..) They make up the rules for good reasons - usually safety reasons. Yes - it's precautionary generally, but sensible.

Ideally, more and more people will ditch them as they are forced to firstly - and find out that it's great going without, taking in the sounds of breathing, crowd, etc.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'm all for following rules and laws. I can't see any point in breaking them. That's a position of pragmatism.

The fact is, if I can't get away with shooting people dead for fun, the game of anarchy isn't worth starting.

🙂

• Options
    RicF ur a strange strange human being ???? I'm also questioning the fact that one day you may kill and eat somebody
  • Options
    Simon no one has said f,@ck the rules u seem to be making things up either that or you don't get sarcasm
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Yep. I'll do what i like..f**k the rules eh? - not saying that. Just that we all break rules occasionally - when we do, there might be consequences (speeding ticket for speeding in car, race ban for wearing headphones), and that's fair enough, you can't complain if you get caught.

In this case, if the OP wants to wear headphones, I couldn't care less, it doesn't affect me. It might affect him if the race organisers spot him and take action (which is unlikely), but that's his call. It's very unlikely that just because he's wearing headphones he's going to cause an incident affecting other people - me, I just keep an eye on those around me when running and maintain a sensible "personal space".

Either way, it's not worth getting worked up over. Headphones are not the work of the devil, and people who wear them in races are still runners; yes, it may say in the small print that they're not allowed, but why would anyone else care? Each to their own, and all that. image

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

But that's just you rodeo, you keep your *personal space*, others don't!

• Options
    Jesus cinders stop for the love of god man
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
  • Options
    U know why Mr cinders ????
  • Options

An humble opinion.

A rule is a rule but it is up to each person to decide if wants to break the rule or not.

The reason for that specific rule as to do with safety. In my opinion, if the race is traffic free i don't see a great problem in using earphones, if the race is not traffic i consider it potentially dangerous.

I don't use earphones but i race with same mates that normally use them. I make no judgments about the earphones or any other subject, besides, there are some other examples of rules that are not followed by a considerable part of the racers, like the position of the race number.

It is really up to each person to decide.

• Options

what about the race organisers who have to take out insurance ever thought it may nullify that

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    rodeoflip wrote (see)

In this case, if the OP wants to wear headphones, I couldn't care less, it doesn't affect me. It might affect him if the race organisers spot him and take action (which is unlikely), but that's his call. It's very unlikely that just because he's wearing headphones he's going to cause an incident affecting other people - me, I just keep an eye on those around me when running and maintain a sensible "personal space".

It's a bit difficult to keep "personal space" when you're trying to lap a runner on a narrow section of path during a race on open roads who can't hear you shouting that you're coming through.

I've been drawn into another headphones discussion, haven't I.

• Options
    That's the point. It's not 'up to each person to decide' , why not just follow the rules, other sports have them, why not ours?

Oh well, at least the ban on headphones in races is getting more widespread. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Phil. Typical elitist club runnerimage
  • Options
    They will ban heeleys next ????
  • Options

Phil, on races, do you normally shout that you're coming through? or even say, without shouting, that you're coming through?

If yes, i respect that and you are completely right.

Personally, i never speak or shout on the race and normally lap a lot of runners. 

Respect the opinions but keep saying that it is really up to each person to decide if wants to break the rule or not. 

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Then why bother having rules if we can all just decide they are there to be broken!

Oi Sid, I've not had a sex change! image

• Options
    Sorry I didn't know u was a real life women if I knew that I would have been nicer to you ???? haha
  • Options

That's why are penalties to break the rules. image

Each person can and must analyse the risk and consequences of facing the penaltie.

Before that is important to understand the use and the specificity of the rule. I believe is not a difficult exercise for anyone.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    TMartins wrote (see)

Phil, on races, do you normally shout that you're coming through? or even say, without shouting, that you're coming through?

If yes, i respect that and you are completely right.

No, I roundhouse kick back-markers to the ground on my way past, but only if there are no marshals in sight and I can get away with it.

• Options

That's what i call a "Clean Race", image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Big eyed Sid wrote (see)
    RicF ur a strange strange human being ???? I'm also questioning the fact that one day you may kill and eat somebody

It's a relative opinion.

Then again. I live on planet Earth.

🙂

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Philpub, fair point on the narrow path / overtaking thing. I tend to only do city races, where this is less of an issue. I can see how this could be a pain in the are or worse. Could you sneak up from behind and let loose with an airhorn?

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Robin hood used to go around flinging those arrows and look what happened to him. They made him a hero. I mean he could of had some kids eye out.

He will be turning in his grave.

Ricf. Do you want this pork pie or shall I give it to some homeless soul ?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Give it away asitis.

I've gone off pork pies after spending most of a day eating an economy pack, and most of the night having second thoughtsimage.

🙂

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

I shall divide it between two homeless charities. Half for the salvation army and half for shelter.

Robin hood would of been proud of you.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Bloke asks if it's okay to be zoned out with headphones in a race.

Bunch of people say no, not really, it's selfish and potentially a hazard.

Bloke isn't told what he wants to hear and, having not had his behaviour validated, is all over the thread like a nappy rash arguing with those who disagree.

Standard headphones thread then image

• Options

Need to type louder, I've me headphones on.  115th marathon in 9 days, blow me down, I've still yet to bump into folk, trip them up, avoid instructions, annoy the emergency services, all because of my slefish act of listening to music.  Perhaps the efficient Austrian organisers will catch me out, no they won't they have common sense.  Austira, Germany, Cyprus, Eire, Scotland, Wales, Spain, Monaco, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Italy - in three words HEADPHONES ARE OK. If it's good enough for deaf (and blind people for that matter) people it's good enough for all of us.