Options

NOTTINGHAM MARATHON/EARPHONES

Comments

• Options
    The point you seem to be missing Terry, is that each race is completely different and run by different people who see risk in different ways.

It's the race director who will end up in court. It's HIS decision whether or not headphones present a risk in HIS race.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Tim R2-T2 wrote (see)

It's the race director who will end up in court. It's HIS decision whether or not headphones present a risk in HIS race.

He seems baffled as to why some of them arrive at the wrong decision.

• Options

Why don't you take up organising Terry if everyone else is doing such a crap job of it  ? 

• Options

Err folks, I've never said the organiser is doing 'a crap job'.  Just because one organiser is not open to headphones doesn't mean there is NO scope for discussion/debate.  I did refer to one organiser who would revisit the ban in one of their races next year and if the ban remains at least it has been looked at.  If the insurance allows the use of headphones then the court case would be futile based upon the use of headphones a claims would be covered by the insurance.  Interesting if Notts allowed headphones next year you folk might be up in arms at the ridiculous u-turn and the endangerment of you all.

• Options

Ok then, they aren't doing the job the way you would do it ....

if you don't like the way a RD is doing the job, either do it yourself or go somewhere else to race.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Terry Hindson wrote (see)

Interesting if Notts allowed headphones next year you folk might be up in arms at the ridiculous u-turn and the endangerment of you all.

non headphone wearers are remarkably tolerant and accept the rules of the race.

• Options

Dave - obvious statement.  The reason why the comments have been made is that it is a discussion board.

Sotty -  I am sure they are when they are concentrating on running.  The same can be said of headphone runners in races where they are allowed.

• Options

But there is little point in discussing it tho...

UKA allow the RD to make the decision, The RD makes that decision and that becomes the rule.

if you don't like it, organise or do events where you can annoy other runners with the rubbish you are listening too

NB, don't take up triathlon, there is a real zero tolerance Saw a competitor get a formal warning for having ear phones in whilst he was just setting up in transition at Bala a couple of weeks back.

and IMUK there was a Japanese guy putting earphones in during T2, a couple of us warned him, he ran out of T2 straight into a ref. who reached out and took his number off

• Options

Dave  - fair implementation of the rule which is often ignored by marshalls.  I hope all r directors assess both sides of the argument rather than a we allow/don't allow.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

So headphones are only banned by race directors who haven't assessed both sides of the argument before coming to their decision?

It appears that only one person here isn't willing to accept the other side of the argument.

• Options

It's for the best interests of the headphone wearers. They will see the error of their ways and become proper runners image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Basically it means take the dummy out of your ears and man up.

🙂

• Options

I've marshalled on races and never been asked to stop people running who are wearing earphones....

i think most RDs are honourable people doing a thankless task, and wrongly assume if they put a rule in the event regs people will abide by said rule.

Rather than chattering on like a spotty school girl.

you knew the rules when you signed up, abide by them, or sod off and play football 

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest that as London is a charity cash-cow. they permit headphones because loads of headphone wearers will be charity runners who are worth 500 pounds a go to the event and a also be worth couple of thousand to the chiggers that they have chosen to run for.

That is probably why London allows it.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

London allows them because it's so bloody loud you really need earplugs. Apart from that, it's not really representative of most marathons. I mean, can you imagine trying to make way for an ambulance through that lot?

🙂

• Options
    Thats true. They have the numbers that they have paramedics stationed round the course and ones on bikes too.
  • Options

I have long held marathon runners to be an honourable crowd.  It is sad that some of you have resorted to personal slights and insults which I have not done and will not do whatever is said.  The issue of headphones has been now used by some of you to throw out negative personal comments.  The discussion was headphones at Notts, an event I have never entered but one assumes the educated among you would allow one to write on a board one is not ruuning in (ie the event).  Generally most of you fail to appreciate that most runs allow headphones and your minority  view despite being valid and having merit remains a minority view in the practice of directors who as has been said do a great job putting on marathons.  To those who have engage in mature debate without recourse to personal insult I thank you for the chat and enjoy your marathon runs.  Should you see man with headband and earphones worn, give me a friendly shove.

• Options

Don't think I actually said where I stood on the wearing of headphones, only that if the RD decided to say no, I would accept his decision 

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

My tuppence worth. Some races allow them and others don't.  Some races are run under conditions where, in my opinion, headphones are unsuitable; open roads, multi-laps, whatever.  Arguments along the lines of "I keep the volume down/only have one ear in, etc." are irrelevant; for every such headphone user, there may be several who reasonably assume that permission to wear headphones indicates that they can listen at full volume without this being a safety hazard.

So that leaves us with the situation where some, but not all, race directors decide to ban (or recommend the non-use of, or request non-use of) headphones, presumably after the necessary risk assessment, and often (but not always) giving specific reasons why the decision is taken.  As a runner, apart from obeying race rules because breaking them is just a bit rude, rather than deciding that the race director is wrong ("Most races allow them, so why don't you?") I will assume that there is good reason for the decision being made. It might be an over-cautious policy designed to avoid being sued, or it might be a practical decision based on something very specific in the risk assessment; how are you going to know the difference?

Summary: if it's in the rules, obey the rules.

• Options

Thanks Phil. Yes, over cautious perhaps, allowing headphones can be covered in the insurance policy.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I have long held marathon runners to be an honourable crowd.  It is sad that some of you have resorted to personal slights and insults which I have not done and will not do whatever is said.  The issue of headphones has been now used by some of you to throw out negative personal comments.  The discussion was headphones at Notts, an event I have never entered but one assumes the educated among you would allow one to write on a board one is not ruuning in (ie the event).  Generally most of you fail to appreciate that most runs allow headphones and your minority  view despite being valid and having merit remains a minority view in the practice of directors who as has been said do a great job putting on marathons.  To those who have engage in mature debate without recourse to personal insult I thank you for the chat and enjoy your marathon runs.  Should you see man with headband and earphones worn, give me a friendly shove.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/download_8.jpg

🙂

• Options

Well you would need to explain some of that, no doubt you fully understand it, well I hope you do.

• Options
    Terry, insurance would only cover financial recompense in the event of an accident where the RD is found negligent.

If there was a preventable injury or even death the RD would still find themselves in court defending their descision to allow headphones.

RDs are not faceless people out to spoil your fun. They're usually running enthusiasts who want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable run.

I personally know 4 people who have organised races and disappointingly they receive more criticism than praise for their efforts. I don't see that they would seek to give more reason to people to criticise by upsetting headphone wearers unnecessarily.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

And insurance policies are there to cover essential activities with associated risks, like driving.  IMO headphone wearing isn't essential in a race, so if there's enough risk to warrant including it in an insurance policy, that in itself is a good enough reason to ban them.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    So anyway, who is a headphone wearing rule breaker?

Not me.
  • Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

This is good. You never ran here and want an open debate without insults. It was you who referred to these organisers as an over-reacted health and safety brigade who's policy is flawed simply because it is allowed in the majority of cases.

Why don't you take your headphones off and get in touch with them to hear there reasons instead of presuming things. You never know, you might learn something.

• Options

Over reaction is not a personal insult, it is stating what is perceived by some who would follow the thread.  Health and safety brigade - there are those who apply a rigid application to this which irks many in society.  I am educated enough to know reasons why something is prohibited or not,I don't need to take headphones off or leave them on should I wear them.  Phuil - the very fact insurance includes headphones would suggest the majority of organisers wish to permit their use with the necessary cover for accidents.  If such policies do not cover headphones it would be ridiculous to allow their use.  VDOT - it is unlikely anyone would state they intend to run with headphones for fear of the wrath or criticism of folk on this forum.  Anyone who would do that would have my full backing to put their case and others to challenge it, of course.

• Options
    Ooh it's like reading the Daily Mail. Bloody Health and Safety Brigade. Things were much better in the old days with cripples and the like. Aaaah. Them were the days.
  • Options
    I can't believe it's the insurance that excludes or includes and determines what the RD can and can't allow.

Anyone seen a policy document for public events? I haven't but suspect it's very broad and places the responsibly for safety firmly on the RD's shoulders.
  • Options

Do you think wearing headphones would help the cripples ? Cougie