Options

Low Carb (high fat) Pirates

Comments

• Options

Stocked up on magnesium (with calcium and vit D), thanks all for advice. 

Just Coop Going re non-nut based foods, just thinking out loud here, but I wonder whether you could do something with avocado - when mashed it makes a perfect paste like filling for a sachet (of some sort) to take on a ride. And if you're a fan of chocolate, why not mix cocoa with that avocado paste and have a chocolate pudding like snack?

Continuing the shopping theme.. Found some very interesting bits in Tesco - spaghetti like courgette ("courgetti") and cauliflower couscous! Each for £1! Made a courgetti bolognese on Saturday, and honestly, for the pasta lovers, I think it's an excellent alternative!

/members/images/835224/Gallery/photo.JPG

• Options

Tall Girl, the courgette pasta you can make yourself with a courgette and a potato Peeler  the same with the Cauli Cous Cous/ Rice just put it in a food processor. I find the Cauli rice needs to be cooked quite well and needs a shed load of butter once cooked. I would certainly check the ingredients for sugar and hidden carbs. Its difficult to tell from the picture but the pasta certainly looks processed

• Options
    Thanks Duda, I was almost tempted to buy that special spiralizer machine thing, potato peeler never crossed my mind!

We'll see if all this veg pasta will get me through that Titan bike course next year..
  • Options

No worries TG, the reason I mentioned checking the ingredients is when first started got caught out a couple of times by  hidden sugar, in the end I just gave up processed food. image

Re Titan, I used some carbs last year I think it was 100ms of rice bran syrup during the bike, so about 300 Kcal and a caffeine gel at the start of the last lap of the run. So equivalent to about 4 gels which is not bad for a tough 1/2 IM. See you at Titan, that is if you are doing the Brecon event?

• Options

Ghost - you'll probably need to order some more before too long, as they are pretty tasty!

TallGirl - agree with Duda in that it is preferable to make your own.  For the cauliflower rice I just use a grater, and then chuck it in a pan with some bacon, mushroom, onion, seasoning and double cream - yum!

For the courgette noodles, I use this:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15277/Spirelli?gclid=CLW5ir_fqsgCFQXnwgod6oUB9w&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!69394488509!!!g!42886644264!&ef_id=VO7ZdAAABe@27oyx:20151005065318image

I find that's far less faffy and cumbersome than the bigger table top versions, and easy to clean afterwords.  I use it all the time, so it was well worth the £20 I paid for it.

• Options

I have a spiralizer. Worth it when courgetti becomes a staple ingredient. I use a food processor for the rice. Bzzzzz. 

Good idea on the advocado squeezy TG.. I don't really like chocolate that much, but could find something to make it tasty, surely. Also ordered some high quality beef jerky yesterday - that should travel well. 

• Options

Hi LCHF Crew,

I am now on further carb reduction/elimination (already reduced carb diet due to diabetes) and I suppose I should do some more reading, LAZY!

What is the advice regards legumes, i.e. peas, beans etc they are "natural" but have quite a high carb content?

Also Cashews?

Also when I have an almost zero carb day I get awful cravings even if I have Bullet Proof Coffee or nuts snack etc etc

Any insights gratefully receivedimage

• Options

EM, I found that the first few weeks of very low carb 20 gms per day I had massive cravings now I only get cravings if  eat high sugar fruits such as grapes or apples of other foods that contain high sugar levels (relatively). The thing is the further down this road I travel the more I realise its all very individual and while others may offer advise based on their own expedience we have to find what works best for us as individuals

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

All this messing about with supplements.

Get a stir fry down you.

Ground nut oil, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, carrot, red/green pepper, broccoli, onion, mushroom, 5 cloves garlic, ginger, 3 hot chilli peppers, Soya sauce, toasted sesame oil.   sliced chicken, tenderloin pork or fillet steak.

Job done. 

• Options

Righto, here goes, I've been at this now for about 6 weeks, I think I spent 2 months looking into it, reading books, watching the clips that had been put up before finally biting the bullet.

My plan was to lose weight and get fitter, however I was going to be sensible, so 3 weeks of just the diet change, then add in swimming, and this week I have added cycling back in, no running as my knee is shot, I may take up skating though!!

So, last weekend was 48 hours off the diet as I was away for my wedding anniversary, although I didn't do to bad, struggling to get back with it a little but its getting easier now 4 days in.

At the moment I have lost 33lbs, there is a lot to lose though after numerous medications and steroids for the knee pain caused a huge amount of weight gain over 2 years, this weeks cycling was good fun, swimming is improving, knee is settling down as well, not as many mood swings and the foods great, just still need to break habits such as looking in cupboards when I'm not hungry.

It is working for me, I'm finding more and more recipes and foods to eat, more energy and I can tell when I eat something I shouldn't, aiming to shift a further 25 lbs before Christmas which seems a lot but with the additional training coming in I think this can be done, just over 2lbs per week, which should make the biking easier and the swimming faster in the New Year, then I am aiming to do Windermere Tri and then retire for good, but keep the fitness and lifestyle changes

Chris

• Options

Effing - my LCHF bible says no to all legumes. Cashews are also a no. I don't get cravings any more. I sometimes look at things and think they would be tasty.. but that's as bad as it gets. Agree with Duda though, it's very personal. I have to really watch my dairy intake and exercise a lot, for example, while my husband gets away with still drinking beer regularly and exercising a bit but he has lost far far more weight than I have.

Great work Chris! I find it is getting easier as my recipe bank grows. I invested in coconut flour, oil and phsyllium husks and can now make things that even look like bread. I can wrap my food in food again! Hoorah! 

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I think what chris as found during his anniversary is the thing that stops me, going out and going to friends must be a bit of a nightmare, could just imagine what my mates would say if I said give us more chicken I don't want any mash with my dinner. 

• Options

Dealing with meals outside home can be tricky, but there are ways around it. I'm just not as pedantic when I'm out with friends and try order the most LCHF possible meal available. Like a curry with spinach rather than rice, or steak with veg/salad. You're not going to fall off the wagon just because you accept a dessert here and there either..

• Options

The Anniversary thing, it was more the cocktails and beer that killed it!! image Usually if we are out I have a glass of red wine and that is it, no really just the one!

Eating out is getting easier, I just order a big dish of veggies and eat the ones I'm allowed, Thai Food was good, Thai Green Curry, one spoon of rice and loads of veggies...then beer!!

Just really getting back onto it, I've been a right royal pain for a few days, just about to make some crackers for my full fat cheese and parma ham

One last thing I will say, I am taking in less than 5gms of carbs per day when I am into it, they state less than 50grams for Banting and less than 20 for Keto, I seem to be well below this

Chris

• Options

Hi All,

One week on and some "interesting" observations re' a Sunday run and my Monday night meal which resulted in a consequential crash in the pool!

Since last post I have further reduced carb intake and would guess I am close to Banting at around 50g/day.

Saturday night I had a late one out at a works dinner (black tie, "what do you mean you don't fancy me miss funny fanny? everybody fancy's me, in a Sean Connery voice) did the usual at the meal and just didn't have the carbs but Alcohol was free and flowing! Had a good drink but not enough be a problem with a 7:30am breakfast!

Got home rested then had a light low carb lunch, went for a Maffetone run but had HR 20BPM above normal for pace, tried to control, gave up and just ran! result 160 average BPM where would have normally been 140! (initially put it down to HR strap battery but probably tired and hungover)

Mondays are difficult timing wise with family and wife etc, bless her she cooked T and I arrived home to Scampi and chips with frozen peas.  Didn't want an argument, ate the small amount of protein wrapped in bready carbs accompanied by more long thin carbs and carby legumes!

Thought it would be ok as had heavy pool session in 2 hrs, burn it off!

1hr later feeling very bloated and grumbling Pancreas pain in middle of tummy, got to pool, had a dump, feeling "ok", Blood Sugar was 14, not good, started session.

Started swim ok but not f"eeling it" at all, 30mins in feeling shite and needed to rest more and more, got out, feeling Hypo, checked bloods and unsurprisingly at 3.2!

Moral of story don't think the odd day of "poor behaviour" is ok, it will have an effect! and it could be massive!

Back on the wagon!

• Options

EM, reading through your post the it looks like you found your Banting/ Noakes carb limit. Which I am guessing is between 50 and 100 grms per day, The high heart rate you describe is usual in somebody who is in ketosis but is not adapted.

Choices,stick at the carb level you are at  and maybe a further reduction if this is your goal or as it off season stay below 50 grms and become keto adapted which will take between 3 weeks and 3 months depending on the individual. It took be about 10 weeks the first time then after a 3 weeks back on high carbs in the summer it took me 4 weeks to get back to the state of adaption  I was at prior to wedding/holiday.

For me having spent the better part of 10 months Keto I find that the odd day here and there is ok but I still have to watch things like beer, although wine and rum with diet coke are both fine but I  limit wine to no more than a couple or three glasses.

Now I am quite well adapted my BS is often higher after a session than before, I also notice that when I do eat carbs before to a session or a race I take much longer to use then up. My favourite pre race carbs are sweet potato chips or baked potato smothered in butter, normally for lunch or early dinner the day before. Although occasionally I will use palitanose  (sp?) the morning of a race, as it does not cause a marked insulin response.

Dealing with dinner out can be tricky, my approach is to order something that can easily be adapted, ask for the fattiest piece of steak/pork/lamb in the kitchen, leave of the carbs and ask for a couple of packs of butter and add it to the veggies. 

Simmo, I have mentored loads of people through this process over the last 6 months and I have found two things, peoples friends are often more supportive than the person perceives  they will be and that people either want to do this or they don't so accordingly they will either find a way or find an excuse. Forgive me if that seems overly harsh that is not my intention I am just relating the truth of my experience.

To new LCHF toy for me this month is an Ice cream maker..........sugar free butter and pecan Ice cream, enough said image

• Options

JCG - I have just found the 'bread' recipe too and, like you, I can't wait to have a bacon sarnie as soon as possible !

Simo - re mash, I have just found a great replacement. Boil cauliflower until it is soft and mash it up. Add some butter and whisk together. Add some cheese and keep whisking. Add some double cream and whisk until a nice smooth consistency. I am a very fussy eater indeed but this is a great replacement for mash and tastes lovely.

I don't think I could go as low carb as some people have mentioned, as I said I'm a very fussy eater at the best of times. I hate avocados and don't like cheese. I have set my limit at 50g of carbs a day; my macros are about 10% carbs, 45% protein and 45% fat. I'm sure some people will say I'm not eating enough fats but this seems to work for me to the point I don't get too bored with my meals. I lost about 2 stones doing this at the beginning of the year but as I didn't know enough about fueling for a race I moved back to eating carbs a few weeks before Manchester marathon in April. After that it was a real struggle to get back on the wagon but I'm there now so intend to stay on it. I would like to lose a couple more stone but the main thing I've found is that I feel so much better eating this way. 

• Options

Do people want to share where they get some of their recipe ideas from ? I use Yummly, Ditch The Carbs and sometimes Pinterest but would welcome any other sites that folk use.

• Options
    Duda the Mutineer wrote (see)

EM, reading through your post it looks like you found your Banting/ Noakes carb limit. Which I am guessing is between 50 and 100 grms per day, The high heart rate you describe is usual in somebody who is in ketosis but is not adapted.

So Duda,

I have been at the lower carb level for around three weeks now but I am not "counting" I think you are right and I am somewhere below 100gms but probably not far below that figure.

Does the above mean you think I am in Ketosis but un-adapted?

Does HR sort itself out eventually if I stay at this level?

Sorry for all the questions and for using your experience rather than researching it myself!

• Options

Just seen this post at the perfect time, I was looking into going on a low carb diet. Haven't got time to trawl through all the posts I'm afraid but had a quick question...

I was just going to cut out everything which contains flour, rice and potatoes.

does this sound like it would be a good rule of thumb to get started with low carb dieting?

• Options

Alex - eliminating grains, rice, potatoes, bread and sugars would be a good start while you get to know how this works

• Options

thanks carterusm,

yeah forgot to mention grains, I love my home made muesli in the mornings as well.

When you say sugars, are you meaning things like sweets, chocolate etc? I know fruit contains both sugars and carbs but I want to keep fruit in my diet

• Options

Fruit isn't too bad but I suggest you read up on carb values of fruit if you intend to consume them, there can be a lot more sugars in them than you think. If you need a chocolate fix try and go for over 85% (I have Green & Blacks). Most other sweets and chocolate is out of bounds for me. Sugar and grains can also be found in a lot of processed foods as well. It's definitely worth reading labels before you buy things as you will could be really surprised by how much sugar will be found in things you least expect. Try and go for as many natural ingredients as you can. I've heard some people never buy anything that is packaged as there is a strong chance it will contain sugars/grains to bulk it out. Another tip, that I find very useful, is to plan your weekly meals in advance of going shopping. Easy hits on high fats are extra olive virgin oil (avoid sunflower oil I think and various other types) and double cream. For fruit, avocados are pretty good. Basically, do as much research as you can about carb and fat contents of all foods. And keep a diary of what you eat (I have a spreadsheet that logs carbs, proteins, fats and calories) so you can see what you're doing right and any potential foods that you don't really want to be eating. Have you worked out your macros yet ?

• Options

This is a good reference point - http://www.dietdoctor.com/

There are also FB groups where you can find recipe ideas, ask questions and generally receive plenty of encouragement 

• Options

I do my best to cook from scratch at the moment anyway and wouldn't say I'm a bad eater but I am eating too much in terms of quantity and a lot of things like pasta, bread and have the odd cake here and there. As a result I'm a couple of stone over where I want to be.

I am planning on doing a marathon in May so I want to shed some weight and eat a lot more fruit but mainly vegetables and just get a healthier all round.

Yeah calculated the macros, It came back that I should be consuming around 3000 calories (based on being active, which I should be during training)

• Options

that is to sustain weight anyway,

I want planning on consuming 2000-2500 per day while in training.

does that sound about right?

• Options

3000 does sound a lot for weight loss ! You should find that you are less hungry eating less carbs and you might come in under your target 2000-2500. I set my target at 2000 per day(about 10% carbs, 43% protein and 47% fat) but was easily coming in at 1800 cals per day and not feeling hungry. I would have my evening meal about 18:00 then for breakfast I would have a coffee (filter coffee with some double cream, BPC is not for me !) go for a run at lunchtime and then have my lunch about 13:30. This period of 'fasting' (between evening meal and lunch the next day) apparently speeds up the fat adaption process. Any running that you do needs to be done in HR zone 2 to start with. Anything above that and you might find that running can become more difficult until your body adapts. Fasted runs are also good as they call on your fat stores as you wont have too much glycogen in your body as you are not filling it with carbs. As a result you may feel like you are bonking !

• Options

NO BREAKFAST!!! don't know how I would cope with that lol,

I am looking forward to see how it goes, normally I loose weight fast on diets so I might see a difference pretty quickly. By the sounds of it, people seem to train well on it as well so I am looking forward to seeing how my energy is during training as well.

first things first though, I will have to get researching meals image 

• Options

I've always struggled to lose weight on other diets but on this way of eating it just dropped off. There are a few different ways of doing this, you will find out what works best for you as you go along. Don't just take my word for it though, what I have said above is my understanding of how it works and it seems to work for me. You might want to get a few other opinions from other people as well !

• Options
    Wannabe Iron Alex wrote (see)

thanks carterusm,

yeah forgot to mention grains, I love my home made muesli in the mornings as well.

When you say sugars, are you meaning things like sweets, chocolate etc? I know fruit contains both sugars and carbs but I want to keep fruit in my diet

Alex, sugar is a form of carbohydrate, many low carbers use the terms interchangeably

Wannabe Iron Alex wrote (see)

thanks carterusm,

Effing Madness wrote (see)
    Duda the Mutineer wrote (see)

EM, reading through your post it looks like you found your Banting/ Noakes carb limit. Which I am guessing is between 50 and 100 grms per day, The high heart rate you describe is usual in somebody who is in ketosis but is not adapted.

So Duda,

I have been at the lower carb level for around three weeks now but I am not "counting" I think you are right and I am somewhere below 100gms but probably not far below that figure.

Does the above mean you think I am in Ketosis but un-adapted?

Does HR sort itself out eventually if I stay at this level?

Sorry for all the questions and for using your experience rather than researching it myself!

EM, The keto suggestion was an assumption based on  these two things:

Low energy and heavy muscles when running.It takes a little while longer to become keto adapted than just fat adapted . If you still have moderate carbs say 50 - 150 grms per day your body will generate the oxaloacetate it needs from the carbs once you go below a certain level , usually 50 gms the body need to relearn how to generate oxaloacetate from dietary protein and this can take a while. 

Also the high HR is indicative of somebody that has just entered ketosis as the body dumps all its excess water  and with it a lot of its electrolyte store. If this happens try drinking a cup of water with a 1/2 a teaspoon of salt, and see if you Hr lowers.

Although it will take up to 3 months for the Hr to get back to normal lower levels. I found during this stage training at 10 bpm above Maff works well as you are still aerobic due to not burning any glycogen. As an aside I now permanently train my aerobic system at a higher heart rate than Maffs 180-age One of my mentors suggest that for keto adapted athletes 200-age is a better Hr for pure aerobic work.
    At some point I will go and get a VO2 max test and have a look at the RER (respiratory exchange rate) figures to get an exact measure for this.

Sorry if that's a bit geeky but you did ask image