Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for all your kind words peeps.

So far I feel fine, but after my bath I have been sitting here on the 'pooter studying. tomorrow will tell on my legs methinks. I am due to go for a 'social run' in the morning with the local Women's Running Network, just about 3 or 6k around the park then drinks in the pub!!

Yes, I did take jelly babies, they are so easy to carry and eat are't they?

I'm brain dead at the moment, this assignment has to be in this week and it just won't write itself, so I'm off for some tea then another bash at it I think.
    Cya-
  • Options
    GO XB!

and anybody else racing (sorry if I haven't remembered)

and anybody doing a long one tomorrow
  • Options
    Cdk - thanks 4 tip on resizing.

Have to say I feel a bit intimidated by even the thought of running for 90mins. I can do 15mins (about 20 lamp posts)and then I have to walk - unless there is a car coming, in which case I start up again. It's hell when the road is busy.

Anyhow, having just join this fab forum, I have to love you and leave you for a few days as am going skiing. Obviously, this fits in with running as it is cross-training. And the ski instructors / shopping (hard to choose, really)...I'll report back. In the meantime, best wishes to everyone and may your feet be blister free.
  • Options
    have a fab time, WB, look forward to chatting when you're back

actually, 15 mins non stop is pretty damn good, most of us started on 1 min run, 90 sec walk and built on that
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    Morn...(yawn)...ing.

That wasn't the best preparation. Twin 2 finally stopped crying at 2:30am and t'other un woke me up half an hour ago. I can't possibly win this race now.

Thanks for your support, guys. I'll let you know how I get on this after'.

XB
  • Options
    Good luck XB and all other racer's runners today. Hope you all have a dry one, it's raining here.
    Just a short easy run for me this morning.
    Cya
  • Options
    Morning everyone! Sorry been absent a couple of days. DD has been poorly and we've been decorating her room. Still ongoing at the moment.

Finally did Fridays run today, and did a straight 20 mins.. felt fantastic! no walking, and hadn't pushed myself too much either. Just happily, slowly plodding along! :) Mileage wasn't fab, 1.5, but hey.. early days!

Good luck everyone racing/running today.

• Options
    Well done PH

Common sense took hold of me and I did't run, shins too sore, I'm going to take a week off and see what happens. I'm panicking now about FLM, but I guess if I crosstrain in the gym and in the spin classes it'll help to keep me going.

Hope it's not raining as much where you are as it is here in welsh Wales!!
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    Guess who's been belting around a park in Blackpool? Me!!! 10k in 48:21 by my watch.

Flippin' chuffed, I am.

The weather was wet and very windy but the course was flat. And how about this for consistent - miles 4 and 5 were both done in exactly 7:57.75. I was not impressed with wine gums - too much trouble to chew and run. I'll try jelly b's next time...now what shall I do next?

Plod on!!

XB

• Options
    XB you are right to be chuffed!!!

The way you are going you will have to start a 'whizzing on by' thread!

Well done you!
  • Options
    well done XB. I think a sub 8 minute mile is a bit quick!

Got back from my 10 miler in 1 hour 49 minutes which I was really pleased with. I started out doing 10 minute miles but by mile 3 they were 11 minuters. I seemed to manage to stick to that the rest of the way though. It rained on and off but that kept us really cool. bit lonely though coming back at the end and seeing other people getting in the car with their medals. Still wearing mine and debating wearing it to work tomorrow.

going to have a rest this week and look for some other races to do, the shorter the better!
  • Options
    Actually shoz, if you can do 7 miles at 11 min miling you probably have a good base for the longer distances, shorter races tend to be faster!
  • Options
    Hi shoz and Wobbly Bum.

To everyone:-
    Warning - running can change your life!
    Let me try to explain without boring you.

Did a race today. Half Marathon in Forest of Dean. Made a weekend out of it by staying with some friends of a friend in Worcester on Friday night. People I'd never met before. One of the nicest couples I've ever met. Went out for a sort poddle early on Saturday morning around Worcester - a place I've never been to before. In lovely bright sunshine I ran past the river, the cathedral, and all these other old buildings and sights. Wonderful.

Race this morning? Very, VERY wet. Teensy bit cold too. Head down and grit teeth job. BUT.... had a huge, huge lift when I spotted aforementioned friends half way round the course - they'd abandoned a nice warm fireplace to come and give a bit of moral support. I was very moved. Like I said, I'd never met these people before, but their gesture really meant an awful lot. Needless to say we'll be keeping in touch.

Maybe I've rambled a bit in this post, but I wanted to say that this running thing really can make you new friends, and good ones at that.

Keep "working at it slowly" folks. It's worth it.

Think I'll have a little sleep now.
    Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z
  • Options
    Evening all - everyones doing great!
    Well done XB 48mins W O W!
    Had a very late night last night and an even earlier morning thanks to little peeps - only managed 3 1/2 hours sleep! So needless to say the long run today wasn't so long! :0( Off to bed now as legs are sore but think it's with all the dancing the night before rather than run today!
    Night, night!
  • Options
    Hi CoachB - 1/2 mar, good on yeh, was it a good time?
    I agree good support is vital and good friends (old or new) are the best.
  • Options
    Thanks, Jammie. 'Twas a personal best.
    (Well, alright, it's only the second half marathon I've done, so I suppose it was a 50/50 chance of being a personal best or a personal worst!)

Have a good night's sleep. Going to join you ...... spritually, that is. Don't want to start any rumours about us sleeping together.

:-0
  • Options
    Trin and Yeo

Sorry, its been a week since your race and I have not congratulated you both, but you sound as if you both did fantastically well! Big pats on back to you both!

I have had to take a week off so am itching to get out again. Stupidly I went out and did my calf muscles in, making them very painful all last week to run on. Hopefully they will be better by Tuesday when I am hoping to get out.
  • Options
    XB wow, fantastic time! Well done! you must still be feeling chuffed! :)

• Options
    some fabbo performances this weekend, well done all!

off to bed, then up to do 16 miles tomorrow

eek!
  • Options
    XBXB ✭✭✭
    Morning

16 miles? Good luck, Yeo. The weather is perfect up here in the NW - I'll send some down your way.

Nothing for me this morning but I may have a go on the treadie at the gym tonight.

I was carried along on a wave of chuffedness last night and went and entered the Blackpool half marathon on 20 June. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Monday morning and my battery is flat. Literally. Mr RAC is on his way. Ho hum

Plod well, plodders
  • Options
    Morning friends :)

I am going to be firm with myself and have a rest day, no gym no plodding - nuffin'.

With any luck my shins will settle by the end of the week, they have been worse, but I am getting a little fed up of the pain and discomfort now.

Off to do the work thing.

Byee
  • Options
    Well done XB - scary monsters!!! Well under your 50 mins - brilliant (training tips please?) I was thinking of you yesterday as I looked out at the howling wind & rain, imagine how you'd have done in good conditions! Just an hour's cardio this morning for me & some abs at lunchtime. Knees a bit creaky yesterday so will be keeping my weekend LSD (no cracks please XB!) at around the 90 mins shuffle mark until leg muscles have caught up! Have good days all!
  • Options
    Hello pepes
    Been absent without leave for a week or so - doing x.country horsey type things -but having a day off today and have just sat down to catch up with everything and everybody - well done to all!

I have just signed myself up for the Run For Life in Aylesbury (Waddesdon) on 23rd May which will be fun - I think! I know I am capable of doing the distance so just need to go, have fun and raise lots of dosh!!

Will check in again soon
  • Options
    IMM

The race for life series is brilliant for us slow runners because there are so many people there walking that we know we wont come last!

Another good one is the flora challenge for women. There are so many people there you cant run fast because there isnt any room.

I'm well impressed with all of you who are out running with such small children. Its so much easier to get out for a run now that mine can look after themselves a bit more and they give me a good night sleep!
  • Options
    Well done peeps who were racing at the weekend.

I'll be at the starting line for a 5k this Sunday- short and fast (or...not so fast, in my case...)

Guess I don't need to carb load for this one, but I'm doing it just in case...yum, yum!

Happy running everyone.
  • Options
    Morning all

I'm going to do some cross training/biking at the gym today. I'm being firm with myself and not running. My shins are still a little sore but are getting better I'm sure.

Have a good day all