Options

working at it slowly

Comments

• Options

8 miles run, my arse is frozzid

will someone please tell the GPO that there is nothing of interest to him in the spare room and to stop pulling the ruddy carpet up. Thank you

• Options
    Spence wrote (see)
    I have a black pussy image

Me too!

And I didn't parkrun, so no surprises there! I slept late then did my long (ish) run - only 5 miles atm. It was meant to rain and after the horrendous hailstones yesterday I got out while it was fine. It was lovely. I ran along the prom with the warm sun on me, the wind behind me ... then I turned round! and the sleet blew at me side-on. That bit only lasted a minute or two!

Carried on fine so we went for a country walk near the River Dee.

We emjoyed 'Wild' - Mr P wondered if we enjoyed it more than ohters might as we walk oursleves. I wouldn't say all rush out to see it, but if you want to see a film, you would probably enjoy it.

Spence - you spendthrift. Did you really need a dressing gown? (actually, it is quite frightening as you get older to realise just how long you do have some things ...)

• Options

Meldy, I'd be worried that there is something in the spare room!

• Options

I have opened the door and proven the fact !!! I think he still believe the little black intruder is in there!

how many layers will I need at work tonight do you think?.?

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

You take hens to w*rk with you Melds?? image

• Options

Now there's a thought!

• Options

I have spent this afternoon with a close friend who currently has post-natal depression.  Lots of history that I won't go into here but it was difficult because it is very close to home for me.  She has lots of love and support and she will be fine eventually but it's tough times for her and so hard for her to talk about it.  People keep sending her cards with "enjoy this magical time" type stuff written on them!  

(((((Snaily)))))) can you text the DiL yourself direct instead of going through ex about Ralph?  He's going to lie and misrepresent you every time so better to cut him out in the chain of communication if pos.

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Been there done that Coco. Horrific. Hope she feels better soon. Has she been to the quacks? Not that they were much help to me. Running is what sorted me out image

And keeps me on the up image
  • Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Blimey last in, first up!!?

Come on up & at 'em we've got a race to race!!

Happy Sunday image

See you on the other side!
  • Options

And I've got a race to support/chauffeur/ bag carry!

• Options

morning all image

Spence - yes, she has a history of mental health issues which are normally well controlled so her psychiatrist and GP are both on the case and seem to be doing the right things thankfully and she's on the right cocktail of meds.  She also has a fabulously supportive hubbie.  She will be fine eventually - just lousy for her at the moment.  I was wondering whether to encourage her back to running much further down the line - obviously not right now - but longer term it might be helpful for her.  

I still think even in this day and age post-natal depression is not really understood by the wider public and is dismissed as "baby blues".  This is a serious illness - not just feeling a bit down.  She told me that with her last one, someone said to her "how can you be depressed when you've just had a baby"!!!!

good luck to all racing today!  Nice lazy day for me and MrC and the cats today image

• Options

Some advice from cat-owning WAISTers please.

We were recommended Stronghold by our vet as a monthly one-stop-shop spot-on preventer for worms, ticks, fleas and all nasties.  We used it on both cats for ages but Coco started to have real problems with fur and skin - scratching and itching all the time and was clearly allergic to something.  She had two steroid injections before I finally joined the dots and stopped giving her Stronghold.  She's much better now and I am about to give her Frontline again (which I used to use) but this only treats fleas and not all the other nasties.

What do you guys use on your cats?  Do you use separate flea and worm treatme ts or an all in one?  Any comments / advice would be appreciated?

• Options

We always use Advocate now. Used to be a frontline fan until we tried this stuff, it simply works image Frontline was good, but only most of the time.

We also use another advocate which does mites aswell as the other worm, once every three months. Tiggs got a real sore patch on his back and scratched iy down to skin, it always looked inflamed. We tried several things including sea salt bathing (which he loved..... not) but it always came back. The vet suggested it could be mites, so gave us this other stuff and it cleared in a few weeks and so far has not returned. His fur has grown back too image

If I remember rightly, the two main types of worm are treated differently, so the main monthly flea treatment does one, and this other stuff now does the other.

(OK proper names would be useful, but I have run out of the mite stuff, only know it was an advocate spot on, just different to our normal advocate flea spot on)

Hope your friend improves Fiona, I jnow thats a horrible place to be. After I had my breakdown 8 years ago, I lost interest in litterally everything. I did not believe the number of idiots who told me to just pull my self together and get on with it! Talk about clueless! Others told me what I should be doing to cheer myself up. It doesnt work like that. When there is no spark of enjoyment in anything, everything seems dull and you cant force it. My GP (the nice one from then, not the idiot I have now) made me come and just talk with her every week (she had had similar so knew it well) and after many many weeks just talking, she said "Paul, despite all the things you used to do, since this happened the only time i've ever seen even a glimmer of light in you, is when you talk about your motorbike (pic on left) so I am prescribing you an order to ride your bike as often as you can, even if it is just for a few miles". And do you know what? it worked. after a many more weeks, I started to feel that littlle glimmer of enjoyment and the lovely feeling when you first smile after being miserable for so long. That year I rode lots, several long trips across country with the club, and the more I rode, the more things turned. Even so, it was not a quick fix, it was 1 1/4 years before I was able to work fully again, and several after that I still had relapses. This was pre running.

What I am slowly getting to Fiona, is the same prescription, look for the tiniest thing (what ever it is) that puts even the smallest glimmer of happiness in her, and work on that. Try not to give her things that 'may' make her happy, it has to come from within her. LIke it did with me. If that happens with running then there will be the added bonus that wee all know from it too(does she like the outdoors? trails, woods wildlife etc?)

• Options
    YumsYums ✭✭✭

Morningimage 

Im a fan of black beasts. Cush looks fantastic with her shiny, soft black coatimage  

((((Toofy prob people)))

DL,  they do find you some interesting FC placements. Must have something to do with how they assessed you!

Snaily, sounds as though Mr snail is being spiteful. Deal with Ralph's mum direct if you can

Spence,  your RW spread us about the benefits of a club.  What has your run club done for you?image 

Onesie, the essential oils sound interesting. Your house must smell lovely tooimage 

Mr C is such a sweetie. I think romance is overrated.

I use advocate. Well, the dog does, not me personally. 

Glad you have plenty of emergency provisions,chuggy. Safe, speedy journey. 

Have you been to choir since your post about your uncertainty as to whether it was right for you, sluggy?

• Options
    SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

(((Coco's friend))) it's particularly horrible to feel so low at a time when everyone expects you to be glowing with maternal happiness. 

Cheesy, it sounds as if you had a great GP just when you needed it. What a shame there aren't more like her around.

I'm currently using Stronghold on the cats with no problems. I have used Advocate in the past but I need different strengths for my two, which isn't as convenient.

I hope that Chuggy and Mr C are well on their journey now and are having a good one.

MS has decided that he will live, although still, apparently, not well enough to work today. I think he has generously donated the bugs to me - I'm coughing but that is 'all' thus far. I say 'all' cos coughing hurts my back image

(((WIN)))

WAIST well xxx

• Options

Helsby half cancelled - police not happy about the safey of roads not closed to traffic, depsite the gritters being out between 2 am and 5 am. I think there was a slight cover of sleet or snow later than that though. We hung round for about an hour after being told there would be at least a 45 minute delay, then at 11 (the orginal start time) it was officially cancelled. Pippette not sure if relieved (not trained, very nervous) or peeved (she'd got psyched up for it).

anyway, I've planted up some tubs of spring bedding.

• Options

Like anything with flea/worm treatment its best to mix it up so there are no possibilities of building up immunity, as Spence knows it has been a particularly virulant year for the bitey beasties and they thrive also when central heatin gets turned on.  A friend of mine has had some allergic reaction with her cat and Frontline I think so may be there is something in that
    I have been using Broadline for that last few months on the vets reccommendation as it had better results that Frontline and it did worms as well

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    God shit yes don't start me on fleas!!

Ooh well you know when you do a race and then by the next year you've forgotten & you're telling everyone it's fine.....but then IT ISNT!!! Well that!!

I had forgotten what a bugger of a race NTR1X is quite hilly, anyhoo.....

I have a 12k PB image. imageimage. 1:10:02 so pleased tough course but every mile under a 10mm which is what I was hoping for image. And our gang had our matching bright legs on which got lots of comments on the way round image

And then it was all round to one of our injured supporters house for brunch image
  • Options

I remember that race, one year I didn't do it and supported as I was far too hung over after a Brum social image

• Options

grrr I told the iPad not to do that!

• Options

We'll run Spence. No wonder you went fast in those leggings - I wouldn't want anyone to see me either ....

• Options

well thats the Forum 6 (7) sorted for this year 

time for tea 

• Options
    SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Ooh anyone we know?

And thanks Pippi image
  • Options

Afternoon All

Been on the annual dykes session this morning........although thankfully given the temperature I was only noting club order at the finish line imageimage  THen a lovely coffee and sausage sarnie courtesy of the club - a fine way to spend a Sunday morning (.......even if I should really have been training........)

Real b*gger it's back to work tomorrow image

• Options

I'm off now until Thursday morning, lots planned over next 3 days

just been asked if I want to go and see Cirque de Soleil in Feb image

• Options
    Brrrrrrr

Great pics on FB spence.

Coco I really hope your friend gets well. I've not had any experience of deep depression, I've had low moments and have dealt with them like Cheesy. Doing something I enjoyed. I can see how easy it is to slip in that dark hole tho.

I'm ashamed to admit when ex went through his depressed period I found it really difficult to deal with. So I'm glad she has a supportive hubby.

Brilliant day yesterday with friend and kids walking along the Exeter Quay. There is a new pub which is lovely. I had a hot choc. Today I got dumped by other friend, well not really she asked if I'd like to got to see the penguins. Erm no, the kids love it, but it's bloody freezing. So I cleaned the house, even the windows!!! Sat outside having a coffee and reading. I even managed to dry washing on the line.

Rock and roll!!

Oh and if your looking for a good book: the last days of rabbit Hayes.

This book will stay in my memory for a long time. Very sad subject close to my heart, but it beings humour to the situation. It's fab

Think it's time for a hot choc
  • Options

Oh Cirque du Soleil - that'd be fab Melds........lucky you image

• Options
    Gentle Chugger wrote (see)

Awww, Podds, you are a true hero marshalling on a day like this! And you're dead right, it would have been bad karma to get warm by cycling and then stand in the wind and get a chill. 

Nogs, hope that by now Penny is home, with her foot up and your scrumbo dinner in prospect. Must have been a rough week for her, especially without you there. Like Podds says, let us know how she is once you've got her comfortably settled in. And big hugs to her from us all. 

Pipp, well done on that run this morning--and loved the photo from yesterday. What a storm!

HBD, Your Worshipful Meldyness image imageimage Glad you made amends and Murph is on speaking terms with you again.

Snaily, at least you've got a proper holiday to look forward to. It can really be encouraging to know you have it in prospect. 

FP, GNR---how exciting! And well done for facing the parkrun in this weather. Sorry to hear Mark's story, disabled people often find it harder to find partners so it must have been hard when this broke up, but TBH it sounds like a pretty messy situation so maybe he's well out of it. (Not that you could say that to him, of course.)

MC, glad you're feeling better image Amazing what a really good sleep can do, isn't it? And if you're ever over this way again, do go to the Rijksmuseum again: if you liked the old version, you will love the way it is now!

Sluggie, sorry, I do remember now that your 'new' aunt was on your father's side. It's rather too bad that SM can't see her way to making things up with her sister, because it sounds as if the opportunities to do that are getting limited now, but sometimes people just can't do it. My SIL never made it up with FIL, sadly, 

NewRunner, that sounds one tough race in awful conditions, made worse by being so under-trained. You deffo need to see the doc about your heart, and work out with him what a realistic training programme for you looks like.

Spence, FAB leggings! image With two of your powering along in those, everyone will get out of your way, for sure! image

HBD Mr. Amandax---enjoy your mixed grill image And well done Amanda on that cross country after a night out. 

I've been watching the march in Paris. It's vast, they don't even know how many are in Paris; over 600,000 are demonstrating in other French cities (in several, a quarter of the local population has turned out). And for once, instead of blaming this or that group, everyone is united against terrorism, and in support of basic rights of every citizen, whether you agree with his views or not. The emotion will dissipate, of course, but perhaps this horrible week will have generated a new awareness that we can't leave this stuff to anyone else, we all have to stand up for what we really believe in. Now and then I'm almost proud of humanity. 

Thanks yup going to get the doc to check heart and see if he is concerned or if he thinks its just under training, hopefully they do tests, what I am worried about is maybe i need an op to remove/reshape scar tissue so that its not pressing on a vein as I feel that could be the issue. Maybe they cant remove it but can tie it back out of the way... Or maybe it was just lack of fitness. Need to see a doc for sure one way or the other. I managed to

• Options

Hey sorry for late reply 

M...eldy wrote (see)

I've just ordered some colourful,leggings too ... They are the future image

NR, sorry, you may need to translate your mph so that us oldies know what the hell you are on about image

M...eldy wrote (see)

I've just ordered some colourful,leggings too ... They are the future image

NR, sorry, you may need to translate your mph so that us oldies know what the hell you are on about image

13.4mph which I reached briefly is 4.29 a mile pace! Of course it was me near flat out so it is not like I can actually run a mile close to that lol. still fast.

• Options
    One day I WILL get there wrote (see)

That would get you some strange looks, Podds.  image

Glad to hear Penny's still upbeat about her holiday, Noggs.  Hoping she recovers quickly.  At least I shouldn't have to tackle snow on Snowdon - or have I just jinxed myself now.  Friend and I are planning to walk up but we'll probably be reduced to a stagger before we reach the top.

FP, Friend and I are shopping for appropriate gear and a big bag to keep it in.  We don't fancy being on the news in July for all the wrong reasons (2 women rescued from Snowdon were going up in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops, sort of thing).  image  It sounds like a WAISTER meet up in the flatlands is due, if I can find time in the diary and funds in the bank balance.  And congrats on getting into the GNR.

Ssshhhh!  Chugs.  Don't tell everyone about my deityness.  They'll be expecting miracles or something.  image.  Daughter has many anxieties, not helped by being bullied at primary school (she's now 21), a tendency towards Aspergers, dyslexia, dyspraxia and fibromyalgia.  In the past couple of weeks she has managed to divert a feeling of panic away from a full-blown attack/meltdown so there may be hope that she has sorted her own solution.

Welcome back, Coco.  Bet you're feeling the cold.  I know I am and I haven't been anywhere (yet).

Spence, glad to hear FIL is improving and it was "only" an infection.  They really do a number on our senior members.  I'm also a member of the black leggings for running club.

Happy birthday for yesterday, Meldy.  Hope you had fun.

NR, blimey!  Sounds like a decent time to me, considering the weather and your injury hit lead up to it.  I'd definitely get the ticker checked out.

Yums, your Buddhist group discussion sounds interesting.  How are you finding the group in general?  I'm contemplating finding one to join.  I'm currently reading The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.  Very interesting read.

Hugs and love etc to any I've missed.

One day I WILL get there wrote (see)

That would get you some strange looks, Podds.  image

Glad to hear Penny's still upbeat about her holiday, Noggs.  Hoping she recovers quickly.  At least I shouldn't have to tackle snow on Snowdon - or have I just jinxed myself now.  Friend and I are planning to walk up but we'll probably be reduced to a stagger before we reach the top.

FP, Friend and I are shopping for appropriate gear and a big bag to keep it in.  We don't fancy being on the news in July for all the wrong reasons (2 women rescued from Snowdon were going up in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops, sort of thing).  image  It sounds like a WAISTER meet up in the flatlands is due, if I can find time in the diary and funds in the bank balance.  And congrats on getting into the GNR.

Ssshhhh!  Chugs.  Don't tell everyone about my deityness.  They'll be expecting miracles or something.  image.  Daughter has many anxieties, not helped by being bullied at primary school (she's now 21), a tendency towards Aspergers, dyslexia, dyspraxia and f