Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    Glad to hear the canal run went well, sounded really nice and thanks for noticing the Abbey and thinking of me!  I did an hour on the turbo trainer instead this morning, that was fun, not. Really hope I can join you on the next one anyway.   Thanks for the well wishes for my knee too everyone, much appreciated.
    Up early in the morning for another session on the bike and swim before cheering on friends/clubmates in the Abbey Dash, yet another race I've had to pull out of, boo hoo!
  • Options

Good running everyone - some very fast 10 milers indeed flat or undulating.

I also have tendered to ignore strides but we do some at the track as warm up - I probably need them as I tend to have the long distance suffle.

Well I can say that I was at an historic event today -England's biggest defeat at Twickers!!image And wots worse is I frooze my n*ts off while watchingimage it was freezing. Anyway enjoyed the free food and drink - need to run off all the excess tomorrow (45 miles should about cover it).

Night all 

• Options

The fact that ive got FOTD suggests the weather is better where you are.Set off for my 10 miler and decided not worth the risk after 3 miles. First time ever given upimage 

Thanks for the comments about the win but im not sure Id like to claim that title with only 10 runners, but still very happy with the time.

Glad the canal run went well wish I could have been with you

NN- Just gone back and had a look at the log for the year, thanks for asking the question as it made me look. What I think is this. My spring marathon was almost like a training run, as part of a 30+ week training prog! I think this because I built my base first and then added speed 

1) 5 x 20 milers feb/march plus 2x 18

2) Stratford marathon (4.12) very fed up so started running faster

3) May- trained for 10 K (44.02) new PB

4) June -Aug Training for half, 8 min mileing on LSR Newark half new PB in 1.39

6) Rest of aug- pace cut back to 8.45 on LSR for the 1 20 miler I did and felt easy

7) September marathon 3.52image

Sorry for long post

• Options

Morning..

Martin..that is a good amount of LSR before your spring marathon ...have a look at the training log again..sorry...what pace did you run your LSRs at ?...as you say..you had the benefit of the 7 x 18 + long runs...and the marathon...all within 8 months....I think you hit the nail on the head and I totally agree...adding the speed at the end of the schedule for the final marathon gave you that 3.52.......dont appologise for the long post..I am fascinated by other folks training...trying to make sense of how and why..certain things work..and why some things dont...

UM..sounds like you had a good day...hope the head clears soon.. 

Did my LSR today..UNDULATING..WET WINDY..all good excuses for a miserable 2.11 ...still its all miles miles miles...image

• Options

So, whose had snow? image

Kind of blow todays recovery cycle plan, but its melted enough to make a run safe - might try some strides later - very stiff quads today.

I'm also conscious my limiting factor may be form: knee lift, glutes, running too far off back of foot. Just finished my computer table so now I don't need to sit on floor to use it I'll be able to spend time making a plan for, not just running but core and upper strength (3 sessions per week), stretching and flexibility (more advanced stretches and strides).

Off to make a spicy lamb curry for family now (from scratch), wish me luck image

• Options

There was a fair bit of Snow here Euph but it's all melting now.  It's more a frozen slush at the moment and will be all gone by tomorrow.  Sorry for not making the canal run yesterday.  I'm still not 100% from the cold I had earlier in the week and my Asthma is still making it's presence felt.  So i didn't think a 3 hour run in the cold was a brilliant idea. Still not right today, headed out intending to do a decent run this afternoon and chest still felt tight so didn't push it.  Plus it was as slippy as hell trying to run through the slush.  So once again it seems I'll be doing my long run mid week  which seems to be getting quite a habit,

All this talk of form and strides reminds me once again that I need some structured training if I'm even going to get better as a runner. I've talked about it before but I'll have to join a running club.  It will help with my motivation and I'm sure I'll get a few tips on form etc.

Ozy

• Options

looks like I missed the snow here, nothing at all apart from a very light dusting on the cars which was gone by 10.00 am

agree with pammie abourt the fast running, 8 min miling for undulating 10 milers, I can only wish !

well, what a lovely run yesterday ! bit of a panic at the start, me n euph actually got on the earlier train, the so called express train (looked like the hogwarts express to be honest) which got us through to keighley about 10 mins ahead of JBSS and NickM. Turned out to be the only time we had to wait for the ladies , We soon met up and off we went. As has been mentioned it was cold, only 2-4C but with virtually no wind apart from a breeze in a couple of exposed places, and autumn sunlight all the way round it was a perfect running day. It really does look scenic with the russets, golds and reds of the trees and as we were running at an easy pace it felt like a very enjoyable social chat. I think we all agreed how to sort out the economy, hooligans and criminals and helping our armed forces  !! Great to meet up with the team, thought JBSS did well to grit her teeth and push through her increasing tight groin, abductors, ITB etc (did I miss any out ?) Didn't seem to notice euph stiffening up ? NickM is in superb form as she proved by getting me to put the extra 0.5 mile on at the end and dragging me along the last 5 miles all under sub 9 min miling. Ended up 3.03 for the 20 miles, 9.09 min miling overall and I have to say I was amazed how easy it felt, as NickM said, great company makes it so much easier, would definitely struggled to run at that pace on my own. Even more encouraging was how good my legs felt after and even first thing this morning they were only a little stiff and it eased off within minutes. Brings me up to 50 for the week, will try and keep the distance up now over the winter months and aim for another PB at the FLM !!!

no worries ozy, thinking of arranging another one 1st or 2nd week of december if you fancy it, probably sticking to the 19.5 miler rather than the 22.5 unless people prefer otherwise .

anyone did the abbey dash ? any race reports about !, will check back later

cheers

beders  

• Options

Nursey, did I say it was undulating, sorry, I meant HILLY !! Ha Ha !!

Well done you canal runners. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Stayed at Ma n Pa's last night , as the old man had organised a poker night for his mates and me n my brother. 8 of us drinking from 8ish, playing cards, with my momma doing us proud on the food front at regular intervals. Played right through to 4am, then we all watched Ricky Hatton dismantle a brash New Yorker. Bed at about 5.30am, well I slept on a 2 seater setee, and was up at 8.45 to walk through the snow to get papers n rolls. Cooked brekkie from my mammy, then I walked down to meet my wife, kids, n Mom in Law at the 10 pin bowling in Dundee at 11am. Dad is the champ in this house, of course, then down to the quayside for a Chinese buffet dinner. the kids love helping themselves to mountains of stuff, especially the dessert. Back home to Brechin, made a snowman with my boy, then we're nipping out right now for a bit of sledging before it gets dark. The coal fire is set to be lit, and I know i'll sleep well tonight !

LS

• Options

Afternoon

LS - sounds like a fun packed weekend. Ooh 10 pin bowling aint layed in years

canal runners does indeed sound like fun.

Beders - I didn't but did a xc race (league match) and my first in 3 years it had hills, it  had mud rain or sleet halfway round it was a 2 lapper so was muddy and slippy in places esp in 2nd half. Fun though tea and cakes afterwards

• Options

aint layed in years pammie ?? just been on phone to my best mate, tis her sons bday on NY day so we are going bowling NYE for his party..is lots of fun, especially if you have plenty of beer image. well done on the xc, tea and cakes afterwards are always a bonus image.

go LS, action packed wend image

canal run sounds tops, well done guys! no snow here..just baltic and very windy

My legs went mental today..i think havin had some extra rest etc, they didnt quite know what to do. Met up with a friend for a lovely 9.5M in 90mins, everything feeling good and great to have a casual run. stopped for a cuppa, came home via carwash and a cheeky snickers and despite the weather, i couldnt resist heading out the door again for another 6.25M in 56min..the legs just wouldnt stay still..followed by drills and core work! nuts! despite being ill I have managed to clock nearly 50M on 5d running this week! And that included 2.5 doubles (double on tues, half a double on thurs as I only managed a mile in the pm before my body went arggghh i feel ill) and a double today. I love running twice a day, it is fab..there is something about the second run that is just plain cheeky.

core stuff today included one legged squats (managed 2 sets of 10 on each leg, could barely manage 1 lot of 10 2 months ago) and side plank with upper leg lifts! 200 situps and some weights..hardCORE image

SB - can you post the link for the stretches again, my friend is keen to get stretching image

• Options

Who has not been layed in years?? I missed the start of that one!

Canal run sounds great - I managed my long run of 7 miles today (well it was cold and started to hail which hurt!)

Clairster - wow you sure do a lot a serious core work - my session consists of just rolling off the coach without spilling my tea!

Well done Pammies on XC - muddy, wet and cold but always good feeling at the finish. 

• Options

Only managed 7 miles yesterday - it was just too slippery and snowy and I was struggling to find good foot contact. Achilles a bit sore today again - I think I will try and see if I can see my podiatrist this week, maybe my orthotics need a bit of tweaking. Still thinkI'll do the HM because it doesn't really bother me while I am running. I've then got a couple of weekends where I won't be able to fit a long run in anyway so that'll be an enforced rest which is no bad thing.

Canal run sounds really great - wish I lived a bit further north and I'd join you!

• Options
    Terrific - just found out my podiatrist has left the practice and there is no replacement yet...will have to try somewhere else.
  • Options

Morning..

.Euph/LS / Freemers..Hard for me to imagine that snow..in Devon its something we rarely see unless on the moor,,..and I live nowhere near there...all we get is wind and rain..and usually quite mild...I wouldnt go as far as to call it the English Rivera though..especailly after the summer we have just had

Although having said that as I type I am actually in Surrey..I travelled up yesterday...my daughter in law has gone back to work full time...the little one goes into nursery after xmas..but till then I am staying here this week  and my son has taken December off..so grandson booked in to nursery in the newyear..all day..everyday..image..so I think my schedule may suffer a little this week..but this little chap is the only one who can get away with interfering with my running...lol..rest day today anyway...then I should get out for a few runs in the evenings when they get home..no 10 milers though...I dont know my way around....

Freemers bad news about the podiatrist...and surely the fact the achillies is no problem when you run is a very good sign

Ozy..join a club ..you will enjoy it...gives you plenty of motivation..all clubs have groups for all abilities..and you will train just that little faster than on your own...as for that long run...it doesnt matter when we do it really...as long as we get it done....hope you make a proper recovery asap

.I know that form is also my limiting factor as when I REALLY focus and concentrate..lift knees and power arms properly..I feel my speed increase,,,I just lose concentration very easily..and my mind wonders..

Beders...WELL I am impressed at the pace of that 20 milers...as yu say I can imagie the comany helped..soemthing I relly missed when trying to train for Abingdon...ouir club has a winter marathon group starting up again..so I shall do most of my LSR with them..after xmas...

ah well off to take grandson out for some fresh air...gentle recovery walk for me..

• Options

Ozy - Worth joining a club, many offer various days training (e.g. tue, thu evenings and often a weekday morning run for shift workers). Also usually a communal LSR at weekends. All helps, especially for speedwork.

Beders/Nick - Glad to hear your well following run, it was a very nice day. Stiffness was strange, unnoticable while about 18m. By time I arrived home a few hours later it was as if I'd run FLM!

Did some strides yesterday which may or may be a goo idea when stiff - feeling better today. Hoping to get back out midweek running with club from tomorrow. Had enough lurgy-enforced rest for now.

Clairster - 200 situps! damn impressive, gotta be worth some efficiency on the long runs or in the hills.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nursey! Welcome to Surrey, the home of the Mighty Woking FC. I suppose you came up especially to see the Woking v Torquay match on Saturday?  Makes sense to stay over to see the little lad.  Get him a Woking shirt did you?  image

6.5 comfy miles yesterday. Longest run for a while. Injury defo on the mend. Still taklng it easy. Another 6.5 tomorrow.

SB

• Options

Euuughhh - my first day of earlies. Out of bed at 3.50am. i feel a bit strange now. It would be easy to wimp out of my planned run - but I'm not going to, I'm going to be strong and run with the club, that way they can drag me round instead of me having to find the motivation!

Wish me luck!

• Options
    NN- All my 20 milers were at 9.00 mileing plus, slowest 3.09 the final 1 was 2.58 but was very tired at the end. (I remember it well!)  The 1 before Nottingham was 2.56 and felt good at the end. It was at that point I knew sub 4 was on. I always use FIRST training so will always run harder than mos training progs.
  • Options
    Wow - had a fantastic run! 8.5 miler at bang on 7.45 pace. Not sure where that came from! I'm off to bed now, ready for the alarm clock to go off at ten to four - boo! Bonsoir you lucky 9 to fivers - though mucho respecto to our superwoman shift-meister Night Nurse!
  • Options
    And top of the page to boot! Now I will sleep soundly!
  • Options

Nick, I definitely need a pint of what you're on at the moment (or to swap legs with you).  You are running sooooo well, hope we can meet up soon for another run.  How are you fixed on Saturday?  I could use a run at pace, if I can keep up with you.

I've been stretching and "planking" since Saturday's run and feel much better, so hopefully it's working.  Back to see physio again tonight to see if she can sort me out and manipulate me back into shape again.  I seized up totally by the end of 19.5 miles along the canal, I think my groin muscles were about to explode!!  At least that's the first "long un" in the bag though and in good time this year.  Not to run Thirsk 10 is right idea - HM, XC and 19.5 miles 3 weeks running is enough I think.

Welcome to Alan - stick around and join.  Sounds like you have a great coach to write you a schedule.

Pammie, yes cold weekend - great mileage from you!

Clairster, you are totally nuts!!  He he, what a monster session, you obviously had too much time on your hands that day!!  Thanks for Innov8 info, will add them to my list.  When you next over?

Tutu, sorry to hear about your knee again, it's a b*gger!  It's really frustrating & you're not alone in crying, I've rung Beders before in tears with my knee (poor sod)!!  Sometimes you just feel like that, but it gets it out of your system.  Keep us posted on your results & recovery.  I'm always glad to see Kirkstall Abbey on the left as we approach Leeds, it means about 3 miles to go!

UB, that gives me faith, I've been doing core exercises and stretching, so fingers crossed it works for me too.

NN, think I'm having a patch of feeling lousy at the moment, but I'll get through it at some point, it won't go on forever.  Great 10 miler btw  image

Euph, I was definitely most octogenarian-like at the end of the run, not one of my better outings, but still counts as miles on legs.  I think I need a bit more oil on the joints.  Thanks for the company guys!!

Beders, can do another canal run on Sat 13th December, but not week before.  Anyone else able to make that?  You're in good shape too, perhaps you can find me a zimmer with wheels for next time.

LS, sounds like a good weekend, sleep deprivation and all - well done to Ricky The Hitman, he's a good lad, I like him.

• Options

Afternoon...

SB ....nice sunny day here in Surrey..looking forward to 5 o clock..when my son gets home..I can get out for a run around Weybridge..although of course by then any sun will have gone..still...nice and dry and chily though superb running weather..

Martin..most of us on here run our long runs at 9s..many of mine are even slower...not as slow as has been suggested though..some programmes suggest  run at 10s...which to me seems way to slow..nice to know we are allowed to slow down a bit if need though.

Nick brilliant pace fot that 8 miler..thats a real tempo run..at its best....see what I mean at "surprise runs" ?..good ones as well as bad... 

JBSS 20 miles ..AND planning another...not bad for someone who is feeling lousy...is Thirsk this coming sunday ?

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nursey: I'm off out on a 6.5 miler any minute now. I'll only be a couple of miles away from you at one point. Seems strange for some reason.

Have you got a route sorted? Don't do the Seven Hills Road in the dark, I nearly turned an ankle there one night. On some of my long runs I go through the High Street in Weybridge. There are some nice roads around there and some nice houses too. A run through St Georges Hill is quite an eye-opener. Frank Lampard's house is HUGE!!

Right, gotta get out there. Glad I've got my shades with me, it's glorious out there!!

SB

• Options

JBSS - Stretching and planking good image Ditching Thirsk sounds a good plan. No point in running a fast course like that if your not 100% and making injuries worse.

Also thing of bailing out. Too little running of late and now I'm rejoining the nightshift brigade with a 7pm Sat-7am Sun shift so a fast run at 11 may not be wise.

Nick - Enjoy shifts, odd hours are not always harsh by themselves but its when you have to move between shift patterns thats the killer. You'll get used to it, think of the afternoon running image

NN - Snow before xmas is also unusual here. Though we've had a few sleet showers already too, including a vicious one last night which caused the obligatory accident jamming the main dual carriageway out of Hull image Doesn't seem that long since last saw the white stuff either, we had a nice snow storm at the start of last April when doing Calderdale hike, it was comically muddy/boggy and first and only time I've actually been stuck up to waist in mud...... its GRIM OOP NORTH image

Back to club runs tonight image

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Man that felt good!! Perfect conditions for me, nice and cold with the sun out, just the job!!  image

A very comfy 6.5. Various aches and pains in the upper legs and some in both hips but I'm sure this is just things adjusting to the new pelvic position. The rehab continues but it's looking good...Fingers Crossed.

Have a good Sunny Surrey Run Nursey...in the darkl!

I did some positive visualisation today during the run. A bit early I know but I am in rehab.

I imagined the last part of the FLM, running down The Mall and seeing that I'm well under my target time on the Yellow & Green FLM gantry clock (that actually happened for me last time, superb!). I had Take That singing Rule The World on my MP3 player (yeah, I know it's a cheesey girls track but stuff it!!)  and I have to confess, I did little aeroplanes down the hill I was on. Cracking Toast Grommit.

New Thread Feature...

Top 3 MP3 tracks on today's run:

Rule the World - Take That
    How Soon is Now - The Smiths
    The Impossible Dream - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

SB  image

• Options

Good afternoon all

SB- it must be tough being a Woking fan –you have my sympathies. Don’t suppose you are friends with Frank as my son would love to meet him?

JBSS – I was planking today as well – I started with 30 seconds and can now keep it up much longer (oops that sounds rude) so getting stronger.

Interval training tonight 1km reps on a hilly dark course!

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sorry UB, not friends with Lumpalard. If I was, I'd try and tempt him to play for Woking, The Might Cardinals.

One of my best mates used to rent a flat in Weybridge (Oatlands) many years ago. On several occassions he had to make contact with the young landlord to sort out gas meters, water etc. He called him one Wednesday night and the landlord's girlfriend answered. She informed my mate that her man was out. My mate asked when he'd be back? "Oh, he's playing football, he'll be late" came the reply. My mate thought his landlord was having a five-a-side with the lads down the leisure centre and would be off for a beer afterwards. Turns out the guy was someone called Gareth Hall and was actually playing for Chelsea with Mark Hughes and the rest of the first team for Ruud Gullit at Stamford Bridge! 

It was after that that my mate said to me, "I thought he looked vaguely familiar..."

I love football stories me....

SB

• Options
    Nice story - think a few of the current Chelsea team have invested in flats near us here in old Camberley Town
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I used to work and play football with a bloke who played for Camberley. They got to the first round proper of the FA Cup years ago and played Brentford at Griffin Park. The bloke in the story above was also a colleague and after work team mate of the Camberley player but he was also a season ticket holder at Brentford. We had to actually pay money to see one of our mates play football!!

Anyway, Camberley were getting stuffed but they did get a penalty. Who should take it? Our mate!

It was possibly the worst penalty in history, the kepper could have thrown his hat, gloves, overcoat and trench boots onto the ball before it trickled into his waiting hands. The crowd laughter was one of pity and pathetic shame. The biggest moment in his footballing life and he blew it. We never let him forget it!

SB

• Options

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Club place confirmed London here I come