Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    There are other threads !?!!???
  • Options
    Sorry if that came as a shock to you -would have broken the news gradually if I had known.
  • Options

LS, here as you like pictures are some other threads

http://www.bshs.org.uk/fileadmin/documents/connecting-threads.jpg

• Options

Morning folks,

Two days off for me this week so far! Ooops - combination of work and lack of dedication!

But did make it out this morning for a 7 miler at 8.20 pace, schedule suggested 8 miles at 8.15 pace, but never mind! Then it's swimming tonight, with fartlek in the morning followed by my 3rd run at goal marathon pace on Friday. Aiming for 5ish miles at 8 min/miling.

I'm on earlier next week - which means a 5am start. So will have to be up by 4am to get into Leeds on time. That's a bit damn early. I'm thinking of buying one of those Lumix BodyClock alarm clocks - has anyone tried them? They wake you up with light rather than a jarring ugly alarm.

Happy running

• Options
    Nick - that is early - I haven't tried one of those clocks but was thinking about one last night (as you do!). A friend of mine has one and she thinks their great. The advert in the RW mag says you can try one for a month -so why not try one and see.
  • Options

Bless me Threaders, for I have sinned, its been 7 days since my last run.

I lay in bed today, and the alarm went off at silly o'clock, and I thought "5 more minutes". Then 25 mins later, I recalculated that instead of the planned 10 miles, I had time now to do only 8, but I could still have 5 more mins in bed due to this 'renegotiation'! 20 mins later, i justified 5 more mins with the thought of doing my 6 mile route, then i blinked, and it was time to get the kids up for school ! My weekly mileage graphs have been steady at 40ish pre FLM, then down to 25ish since then, but only 8 last week, then this will mean a big dip in an otherwise blemish free year ! Roll on FLM training !

Nick, this early in your marriage, I'm sure hubby doesn't mind at all seeing his beloved off into the dark all hi viz at 4am. 13 years in, and its a different story, believe me !

Little Sloth

• Options

Hi everyone

Did 12 miles last night at 8:40 pace. Originally intended to do close to 14 but I'd had enough of running laps round town in the dark.  If anyone has a good half marathon schedule I'd appreciate a copy.  I'm not doing a spring marathon but wouldn't mind trying to beat 1h34 at next year's Redcar half.  I've never followed a half marathon schedule so it would be interesting to see what I could do if I followed a structured training plan.

Nickm 5am start is a bit harsh.  Never tried one of those clocks, you can test it out and let us all know if they are any good.

LS/Umbongo Isn't looking at other threads strictly forbidden, I barely have enough time to keep up with this one.

LS Having a low mileage week or one of no running whatsoever isn't going to do you any harm. It will probably do you some good as you'll come back fit and refreshed.

Ozy

• Options
    Umbongo- Fantastic target, you going to keep it quiet from someone we both knowimage
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

G                   P
        O             T
          A         O
            L     T
                !

SB

• Options

Hi there

Umbongo - i am the opposite to you struggle uphills, though i do try but love the downhills (a rare breed i know)

• Options
    Afternoon..

Nick.that is a hideous time of day to get up and go to work...(sorry dont mean to make it even worse for you )....which schedule are you following ?

LS get your @rse in gear....8 miles in one week !!..call yourself a runner...lol...ok sometimes our bodies need a rest..but thats practically hibernating..

Pammie..not so rare..same here I hate hills..but look out anyone if a race finishes downhill..theres no stopping me wheeeeeeee!!!

new trainers turned up today..so gave them an outing..schedule said..8 steady miles throwing in some 100 meter strides..so thats what I did..chuffed to bits when I managed bang on 1.04..so that 8s...
  • Options

Don't tell anyone but I just ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill. Achilles has calmed down so quickly (much quicker than previous problems) I just thought I would see how it went. May react overnight but hopefully not.

You never know, the HM may still be on the cards BUT if I do it I will run it as a long slow training run, aim for no quicker than 1.50.

Fingers crossed....

• Options
                                                   WAKE ME UP 16 WEEKS BEFORE FLM 09.........
    http://www.dancronin.com/bear_hibernating_lg.jpg
  • Options

Ozy – like you I have never followed a half marathon schedule –they are always done as short training runs during marathon schedule. I used Hal Higden’s marathon schedule and it suited me, so I will try his half schedule – it does seem a bit light on mileage but then again it’s only a half so no need to do 20 milers.

Martin – I would like to keep my target time a secret from myself and not just Dave! I only decided my target this week – I am doing lots of speed work and started today some weights and core stuff – really hope I start improving my general speed.

Pammie – you are not unusual – I got slight injury running downhill and that has made me cautious of them – like NN I take them at full pelt

Freemers – watch your Achilles. I read somewhere that it helps to soak your feet in warm water before a run to warm up your Achilles – never tried it mind you, but makes sense
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Tried to put my own SB made schedule up but it didn't like the formatting.

It will basically be 4 runs per week, one cross train and 2 rest days.

Runs are - Recovery, speed, tempo/steady, LSR

Cross training will be spinning or swimming

Theres a gradual build-up to the first 20 mile LSR in February then it's 20 milers on alternate weeks, so 20, 15, 20, 15, 20, 13.1, 20, 15, 22 - Then taper....

Easy!   image

SB

• Options

SB..so are you jumping from 15 to 20 ?..nothing inbetween ?  ie 17-19 milers ?..so it wont be such a shock to the system..

Umbongo are you running London 2009 ?...I would think a half schedule would focus more on tempo runs ..like you though I have never followed a half schedule..but rely on fast club runs of up to 8 miles for all the speed I need.. ...also I believe a couple of 15 milers are a good idea in prep for a half

Freemers your secret is safe with us..and 100s of others that read this thread...lol..take care of that achillies..

LS as for you... I am actually lost for words...and THATS rare ! 

• Options

LS - me and the hubby don't see each other during the week, he works in London you see. So I'll be all on my tod when I peel my slumbering body out of bed next week... I echo NN's tutting and finger pointing. Get out there and run boy!

NN - no schedule as such. I still 'sort of' run what my online coach suggests, but only if it fits in with how I'm feeling. I'm going to aim for 50ish miles a week at my peak, with an alternate weekend approach to long runs, similar to Sb's. I plan on running one long run a fortnight of 20+ miles, then one during the other weekend of 13-15, but at a closer pace to my goal pace, so at about 8.30 pace.

My marathon is in February, I haven’t decided which one I'm running at the moment (could be Seville, could be Valencia). My week's running will consist of 1 x goal marathon pace run, 1 x some sort of intervals/hills/fartlek, 1 long run and the rest will be steady runs at about 8.30-9 min miling. One thing I'm being strict about this year is that I'm trying not to run slower than 9 min miles. Just because given half the chance I'll slow down!

Like SB, I think I can safely jump from 13 miles to 22.5 (which is what I'm doing this week) because I've done it in the past and will run the 22.5 miler slowly. (I'm touching wood as I type this!)

• Options
    Good 8 miler by the way NN. Well done.
  • Options

Nick WOW !!..good luck with that jump ..never tried it myself..but "apparently " it takes 12 months for the body to forget how to run 20 miles...so I guess its possible..(dont ask me where I read that..I have no idea)..like all these things I come out with...maybe I dream half of it....Good luck with that training plan of yours.....is that how you traned for FLM this year..?if so..it certainly worked for you.. 

my session today I guess would be discribed as farlek...steady run of 8 miles..with 10 x 100 meter strides at intervals..I enjoy that session..and its as fast as it gets for me .. 

• Options

Yes, I guess that's fartlek, though I prefer to take it as it comes rather than be too structured.

I'm making a few changes this year, most noticeably the introduction of marathon paced runs, as sometimes I think I lack the confidence, not ability, to run at my coal marathon pace. Other than that it's similar. Last year I didn;t consciously alternate the long runs and shorter ones week in, week out, but because of races, that's roughly how it worked out.

Who know whether ti will work? I'd love to get closer to 3.30, that's for sure.

• Options

Umbongo - quite understand about 4 years ago i did a 10km which had a few hills and felt something go on a downhill stretch, turned out it was my ITB. Could not run at all for quite a while. And yes i was very cautious for a long time afterwards

But the question is (and NN as well) do you play aeroplanes coming down image

• Options
    NN –no I am not doing FLM 09 (at the moment) – I got rejected, and after much moaning was told by someone to try another marathon, so I thought about Paris, then changed my mind and now want to concentrate on half maras and 10ks for a while and maybe do October marathon – however will try for club place and if I get it all my plans will change – you will note that I change my mind a lot
  • Options
    Pammie - I don't play aeroplanes but confess to have thought about it once or twice - I tend to lean forward and let gravity take hold - it can get a bit hairy if the hill is long as my brakes aren't what they used to beimage - saw a few aeroplanes at the finish of the edinburgh marathon -people finishing in style
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

NN, the slow build up to 20 miles starts in January with an LSR plan (first LSR on Sunday January 10th) of 10, 12, 15, 18. Then it's the 20 miles in alternate weeks starting in Feb. The 13.1 is the Fleet half.

I'll be on 10 milers over Christmas anyway, hopefully.

I'm not MAD you know!!!  image

Nick....You're MAD!!!

SB

• Options

Um - I'm also a big fan of hills, not in road races or reps particularly but certainly off-road where they occur naturally and there is big variation. When your feeling good there is nothing like attacking a hill (up) as others struggle around you. Downhills are also great fun and through practice I can run them quite well.... though not in the same league as forum descent "legend" Beders who makes it seem very easy.

SB - Seems a good plan. I had good success with alternate 20(+)s at just over marathon pace with 10-15s at pace or faster before Windermere.

To throw a spanner in the works a guy at my club recently ran a great Berlin off 3 consecutive 20's at sub-marathon pace then a HM to follow. Training really hurt but he beat his target time by 4 minutes.

• Options

Intiriguing lack of running LS, I have been inactive in our "firendly" challenge of late for illness reasons. Are you trying to keep the motivation alive by passing up the easy opportunities to build a lead in the challenge? image

Marathon plans - I'll show you mine as you've all shown me yours image:
    5-6 runs per week including double days some weeks, occasionally two (emphasis on easy),
    40-60 MPW over 12 weeks - from a good 30-40 base after new year,
    LSR's = 12, 14, 16, 10k/m, 16, 18, 20, HM, 22, 14, 8, FLM,
    1 to 3 speed/hill/fartlek/tempo/strides sessions per week.

Finger crossed the bug is shifted, stomach back to normal and kidney aches reduced. Must have been an infectious - if short-lived - blighter as while I was off work yesterday another guy sucumbed. He was image in a waste bin as couldn't get to loo fast enough, it got him so fast (shivers, weakness, kidney pains, nausea). He couldn't drive his car to go home and got a lift to hospital!! After a bit of NN-stylee TLC and he was ok to go by end of day. Though like myself feels like his lower back has been pumelled by Rocky Balboa, he's had 24 hours off as moving onto his nights, wonder if he'll make it in?

Good result for England! I'll leave it at that, not getting over-excited, too many false dawns and all that... case closed image

• Options

I do enjoy reading all the different approacheS to training...(ok ok anorak)...image

Nick....we all need different things to give us the confidence..for me its plenty of long runs...good luck with those MP runs..tough but hopefully worth it

Euph....only 1 x 20 and a 22 ? is that enough and have you relied on that before ?..I wouldnt have the confidence to run a marathon on less than 4 x 20s..and 1 longer..like SB...mind you, you have plenty of fast stuff planned....personally  I would skip one of the fast sessions for a mid week 13-15..( I must have read that somewhere)...image

Pammie..of course I play aeroplanes..only in my head though...image

Umbongo..fingers crossed for that club place...you would have loved Paris by the way..

• Options

I'm with the Nursey lady Euph. Looks like a wussy wee long run plan to me. I did two 20's, two 21's, two 22's, and a 23 in the run up to FLM, as well as a few 16 and 18's. But then I only ran 3 days a week, and so was fresh come Sunday. You'll be £$%&ed by then, with your Rocky style double sessions with Paulie on the carcasses of meat, followed by a run up the steps to Hull Town Hall.

Nursey, on your wee pic, do you still have yer name, or had it fallen off by then? That was funny as all your cheers ended immediately the rain came and washed it off, as the crowd continued to chant my name !

Will we all blink and it'll be on us like a flash? Will it be a scorcher to scupper the plans of the whitest man in London? Will i have my mojo back by then ?

• Options

LS 2 x 22 and a 23..??  no wussy are you ? .excellent amount of long runs..more like my schedule except I didnt get as far as 23..I wimped out at 22..and I think that pic was after I lost my name..and you ....ha ha !! image....yes  silly me...permenant marker pen..but forgot..paper not so permenent in the rain..

yes I am at work..with nothing better to do...