Options

A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• Options
    hey !! ..LS..that was sneaky...
  • Options

ARE ALL YER PATIENTS ASLEEP, OR DID THEY GET BORED OF YER STORIES OF THE DAY YOU RAN ME INTO THE GROUND ?

From the photo Nursey, you look like you are speed walking rather than running....... were you on your last legs, petrified i'd loom large on yer shoulder in the closing few hundred yards ? I'll save that for next year............

• Options

Evening/Morning

Hello all been racing tonight. At the last LFOTM 5km i did i got persuaded by someone  in doing a 800metre race at this local winter track races

So tonight

800metres - my debut at the even so unsure how  to go about it or even what time  was achieveable. Ran even pace in the end 3:40 but couldn't help feeling a little disappointed

a few minutes later was a mile race (no resst for the wicked) splits 1:52 for first 409 metres then 1:57, 1:57 and 1:52 finish 7:40 - a 3 second pb

10 minutes later it was 5000metres last month i managed 24 minutes exactly. Couldn't get anywhere near  it tonight. The  previous 2 races perhaps finished 25:24

• Options

LS ..Yep all asleep..or maybe they are pretending..image....

I often think I should pick my knees up a bit more when running....but forget when I am tired...arms swing all over the place too...

Shouldn't you be in bed yourself..? ....or have I made you feel guilty..and you have just got up for one of your legendary early morning runs ?

nice bit of fast running Pammie..well done..

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

A few mad night posts going on. I was catching big Zzzs at the time.

Nice track session Pammie. Good work.

My spinning class was full up last night so I went for a swim instead. I hadn't been for a training swim since March 2006 on the run up to the FLM. back then I only did 1000 metres per session, but last night I felt a lot a fitter.

I did just over a mile in the end, (68 lengths) and in just under 45 mins. Well happy with that. It shows that I'm much fitter now than when I went into FLM06. I haven't swam a mile since I got my mile badge when I was 13. I feel I deserve a bronze award or something similar... image

Going to try a pacey 5 miler today. 

SB

• Options

Wow there is a whole night world going on while I am asleep!

As I am not training for a spring marathon (yet) all this talk of 20+ miles is wearing me out -I feel like a real wuss!

Pammie - sounds like a tough session

Did some core work in gym at work yesterday followed by a tiny weeny 3 miler in the evening (its what my schedule says) - today is club night so aim to do 6 mile tempo

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just back from the 5 miler. Felt good after last night's swim so hit the ground hard. Managed to do it at 6.53 pace which is 10 seconds fadter than last week. held back on the odd occassion due to traffic obstacles and the odd twinge here and there and I didn't want to get too hurt before I see the fizz tomorrow.

The idea of doing a hard session was so the fizz could see any pains that came about but I still didn't want to overdo it and ruin the good work of the last few weeks. Happy to report that things seem to be on the mend still but I await my first longer run with some trepidation. If decent pace is somparible with average pace over a longer distance, I should be OK.

SB

• Options

SB, 6.53 pace?  I think I only do that in races & that's not so often either.  Obviously the rest & stretching has done you no harm at all.  Perhaps it's all in the swimming, I do enjoy a morning swim in the pool, I find it really refreshing.

NN, I think there are 11 runs of 20+ miles in my schdule, most weeks to be honest and some longer mid week runs, as well as quite a few 2 runs a day, it does look quite cruel, but probably similar to yours.  My ususal plan is 1 x LSR, 2 x Speed/Tempo Sessions, 2 x Steady Runs & 1 x MP run or race.  Hurray if it takes 12 months for the body to forget how to run 20 miles, it's only 6 months since Edinburgh.  There is hope for me yet ........

Ozy, I have a HM schedule you may like to use, can bring it on Sat. if you like.  12 miles plodding round the streets in the dark is enough for anyone.  When is Redcar HM next year?

LS, no harm in being lazy now and again, but you probably need to start thinking about waking up now, the cold weather is a coming!  Less Guinness, more haste.

Euph, glad to hear you have recovered, are you still on for Saturday along the canal tow path?  The aim is to go nice and SLOW.

Pammie, that's some going, 3 track races in such a short time, excellent stuff, well done!

Freemers, hope the achilles is behaving itself.

UB, hope you get your place at FLM, you are hardly a slouch with that HM pace!

Managed a 4 mile run at 7.50 pace on Tuesday night after work, then a session of 10 x 1 min efforts last night, with the local running club.  Back to the normal club tonight for a track session, feel knackered just thinking about it.

• Options
    Nick - I won't moan about early mornings when you have a 5am start!  Despite that, your training is going really well & you seem rejuvenated, just what I need.  What's this new alarm clock, details please - sounds interesting.  See you bright & early Sat. morning.
  • Options

Hi all, I thought the lack of 20+'s on that plan might prove contentious. In the past 2 marathons I've usually done 4+ 20's, thought I should try something different. More emphasis on mileage over the week including two runs at weekend (one an LSR). Its not a plan I've made up but one from a professionals book, I may tinker a little as most weeks are running 6 days, I may cut all to 5 days and notch a 16 to 18, an 18 to 20, and do a 10+ on Tuesdays to maintain overall mileages.

.....Oh and I'm also doing at least 2/3 x 20+m off-roads pre-marathon training, which is hours on feet to prepare me for marathon training, on road, at faster paces. All part of the master plan!

Pammie - You don't do racing by halves do you!! that session has gotta be worth a big speed/stamina boost over the next few weeks.

• Options
    JBSS - After the last few weeks my only speed will be slow I think. Don't want to start too fast and crash hard!
  • Options

JBSS - thats is instead a tiring schedule just to read. I am not fast just have unrealistic targets.

Managed to get an invite to go watch England v South Africa at Twickers on Saturday -- part of a hospitallity package - so start drinking at 11 a.m. and try and still be upright for the matchimage

• Options
    SB..I have just csught up on my ZZZZSS ready for a run now...then another nightshift, 45 mins for over a mile swim is good going nice one...excellent pace run too..

Umbongo..yes a whole different world at night..and one I have gotten know very well indeed...over 18 years of night shifts have completely shot my body clock..but the money is good..enjoy that tempo run later..always the hardest session I think.....sounds like you have a fun weekend planned...no running on sunday then..just recovering with a nice hangover....image

JBSS ..11 over 20..that sounds a toughy... in my schedule...there are 17 over 17 miles...but just 7 of those over 20, good luck with the double days..there are a couple in my schedule..and those were the only ones I missed out last time..they really arent practical...hhmmmm...maybe I will give them a go this time, but not too bothered, have a good track session tonight....and I am looking forward to following your training that schedule is hard core...

Euph, good luck with the master plan, but I have a feeling you will be persuaded by us on here..and maybe add a couple more long runs...it  will be your idea of course though...image

just off out for a a 6 mile recovery run
  • Options
    NN - silly question I know but do you get jet lagged if you go abroad (obviously not to somewhere like France or Spain)?
  • Options
    Umbongo.....to be honest , without realsing I probabaly function on a permenant jet lag feeling...even if I have a fortnight off..my sleep pattern is all over the place..not getting to bed till the early hours..then sleeping in late...and if I do go abroad...I cope better than everyone else with anytime difference..because thats how I get used to feeling anyway..
  • Options
    ...........plus she now has a 'distraction'..........
  • Options

evening all

LSR- very interested with different views. For my Spring marathon I followed FIRST and did 4 x 20 milers. For Nottingham I only did the 1 20 miler but steped back into training almost strait away. For next year still not sure what I will do.

umbongo- Ill say it here but not on he "other" thread. Doing 10Ks and halfs was my plan and as you know no not only gave me my 1.39 half but my sub 4 so I think its a good plan, (I wont tell Dave but I think it will be a good fight as his training has being going so well )

I won  my first ever race last nightimage Only 10 people and a bit of a strange one. Ran for Guide dogs over 2.25 miles and no watch allowed. Person who is closest to guess also won a bottle of wine. I said 15 mins dead and finished in 14.59 at 6.39 mileing so very happy on all levels.

• Options

blimey, lot of posting going on, I've been a bit busy for a few days and have just had to spend half an hour catching up !

congrats martin, a feeling I'll never have...unless it's a race of 1 ! and a helluva fast run as usual SB

yep I'm another downhill nutter pammie, although think euph is a bit modest, he's usually treading on my heels  unless it's a real headbanging fell descent when my natural stupidity and extra gravity can give me the edge.

LS, reckon NN can just do without sleep completely !! unlike you by the sound of it ! can't remember the lkast time I ran less than 10 miles in a week, probably the last time I went skiing about 4 or 5 years ago, apart from that well over 10 years ...just a natural addict I'm afraid.

finally decided to start the tempo running, only very modestly , slotted 3 miles at 8.06, 8.11 and 8.03 into the middle of my lunchtime 6 miler, extremely slow in comparison to some of the whippets on here but was quite gratified how comfortable it felt, working harder than my usual jog of course but well controlled and within myself...I even carried on chatting quelle surprise ! Had a couple of 6-7 mile very enjoyable jogs round the local res on the tuesday and today which felt very nice and easy so should be looking to get around the 50 mark this week. Thinking of trying to build up lots of easy mileage for this years FLM with plenty of long runs and  just gradually build up the tempo runs a mile a week,  copying NickM  if I remember rightly, bet I won't be as fast though ! just sub 3.45 will do me ...eventually !"

missus is out tonight so plenty of time to browse the net and watch sky, catch ya lata

cheers

beders

• Options

and while I'm here

TOTP !!

thankyou LS

• Options

Evening..back at work now..big notice gone up..no one to go on facebook during working hours...ha ha..that doesnt  affect me as I dont go on facebook..and they obviously haven't heard of RUNNERSWORLD image

Martin..so how did your autumn marathon compare time wise to the spring marathon ? with the less LSRs...mind you ..those 20s would still have given you a good base..so it wasnt like starting from scratch..A longer break between marathons would mean you would need more 20 milers...I would have thought..well done on WINNING that race... you are the first one on here to have ever won a race...anyone correct me if I am wrong...and LS egg and  spoon races at school..dont count.

beders nice pace for those 3 miles..enjoy having the telly to yourself..
    and reference to the sleep thing..I watched a programme the other night on some obscure channel..about a family all suffering with some genetic disorder
    which meant they literally couldnt sleep..and died of exhaustion after a few months....scarey...folk keep telling me nightshifts knock years off life expectancy..good job I dont smoke or drink..I would be living on borrowed time by now

• Options

SB -6.53 pace?? Did you jump out of a plane? I only go that fast in the car.

Martin -  yes Dave will have a big head start as he has been training for halfs but that will be a good incentive for me. Last time he said he would be lucky to do 1:50 and I was treating it as a training run but only passed him with about 3 miles to go going much faster than he lead us to believe -not falling for that old trick again! Most of the fast runners in my club only run 10ks and halfs and just throw in a couple of 20 milers if they do a marathon.

Beders - well done on your return to speed and TOTP.

Mrs Umb has been attracted to the 20% off sale at M&S which has a 24 hour shop near us - may not see her before midnight!

NN - my brother-in-law is in the fire service and spent many years doing these strange hours - not for me

• Options

Evening

I've been nightshifting of sorts for over two years now it has its good bits which  at the moment outweigh the basd bits.

I have never done 20 miles ever prior to any of my 2 marathons most i got to was 19 (once) Maybe this time will be different we shall see. I did ok this year but didn't have much of a base prior to Jan this year so hopefully things will be different this time around. I have done some doubles when i can fit them in ie. on my days off from work

Club night tonight we did 7 miles kept it easy with a couple of ladies around 10 min pace till one of the faster ladies passed us near the end and we did the last mile near 9 min pace

• Options

image..Nice running Pammie..and the night after 3 races...great stff..you must be clocking up some good mileage at the moment..

Had some great news tonight NOT..things could be changing..all to do with the EU and working  hours..at the moment..our day staff work till  9.15 pm..and start at 7.30....now it is being said they need 11 hours between shifts...which is fair enough..BUT the new night shifts could soon be be 7.30pm - 8am..including a 1.5 hour unpaid break !!!...giving the day staff that 11.5 hour break...what gets me is...they always manage to get away early anyway..and are rarely here past 9pm.....as they switch off as soon as we walk in the building...arrrrhhhhgggg. I am having this conversation with the computer now....that I have been having with the others all night.....funny thing is what annoys me more than anything isnt the early start as such..but I will have to miss running club on Wednesday....as it is I just have time to run with them shower and dsah to work...image   ..all has to be approved by the union first..so maybe it wont happen..fingers crossed..

Umbongo.....night shifts do have their benefits..the main on is the money..also as the shifts are longer..that means more days off..hope mrs U brings you back a little pressie to soften the blow on your credit card bill..image

• Options

Morning folks,

Martin - congrats on winning that race, I can vouch for me never having won a race, so NN is probably right that you're the first overall first placed runner we've had on here!!!! Interesting thoughts about long runs, I managed to fit in 5 20 milers between my two marathons last year, not counting the 8 or so I ran before the first one. I only had 8 weeks between the two races, so as you can se, I always try and pack them in! Horses for coures I guess?

SB - God yes you're definitely a different runner to when you ran FLM in 2006. 6.53 pace? Blummin quick! Well done on the swim, must admit, I've had ot cut back the swimming to 3 instead of 4 times a week now I'm marathon training, otherwise I run out of energy - and time. Glad the injury is sorted out.

JBSS - see you bright and early tomorrow morning! At least these shifts mean I can run in daylight, which I'm enjoying. But next week will be horrendous starting at that time. That alarm clock is here, I haven't bought one yet, but am contemplating it. Lumie Bodyclock

Pammie - congrats on the back-to-back races, and on a track too. Not sure I'd be motivated enough to run hard THREE times in a session!

Euph - you feeling better yet?

Umbongo - 24 hours M and S? What is the world coming to? I've never heard of that, Tesco is bad enough!

Yesterday was 5 miles of fartlek for me. Felt OK. This morning it's my weekly goal marathon paced run. One thing I'm finding tough about running in the morning is that when I've run early in the past, I've just plodded. I definitely find it harder to do a specific session first thing. It's like my body's not yet awake, and it feels harder to run at a pace that feels comfortable if I did it after work. Not sure why.

Anyway, I'm not going to wimp out. Better for me to try and complete it, even if I don't manage to be bang on pace. I'm aiming for 5 miles at 8 min/miling, This week I'm going to try and run it at closer to that pace rather than miles under, which is what has happened on previous runs.

Wish me luck!

• Options

Nick -you calling me a horse?? I may have made the 24 hours bit up -it is probably just late night shopping (you can see I am a man and have no interest)

Pammie - I always consider the 20 miler mentally as the key distance as you have crossed that barrier and there is only 6.2 to goimage My best run came by doubling up at the weekend so at peak would do 10 miles on Saturday followed by 20 on Sunday - that way you start your 20 miler with miles already in your legs and mentally and physically 26.2 becomes much easier.

NN - hope you had a good shift and that the money made up for the shortening of life! Unsettling about the EU proposals. And yes Mrs Umb got me new socks and briefsimage

• Options
    This is a 24 hour forum and its time for the day shift now.
  • Options

Nick - Feeling better thanks, see you and the gang bright and early tomorrow. The large coffee from the station will probably get me around.

I'll try an post up the latest forecast later, looked rotten last time I looked. Though probably better inland than on the East Coast image

• Options

Euph, I've looked at the forecast too and it's cold (around 1 degree), but no snow (yet).  Perhaps will bring my woolly hat and windproof jacket - crop tops and knickers for the rest of you.  Thankfully we will be going slow, otherwise I probably wouldn't get round.

NN, yes it's a hard schedule, will see how I get on and modify if required.  You are a tough cookie, all those night shifts, I'd be asleep by 11pm, I'm useless with sleep deprivation!  Does track & field count for winning a race?  I've had a few victories over 3000m on the track, but not far I know!

Martin, well done on your win & a cracking time for 2.25 miles!  Much better than my hobbling around at the moment.

Nick, the alarm clock looks interesting, I'm not sure my other half would appreciate it though, as I get up at least an hour earlier than him every day!  Will await your review if you're getting one.  Feel like I've seized up at my desk this morning, after my run into work.  Right leg (around adductor again) is stiff and sore again, so proabably need another visit to physio.  Hamstring tendon has also started to play up again, probably because of the adductor.  Looks like I've got a wooden leg for real now!

Beders,  see you at the station tomorrow, remember SLOW is the order of the day!!  Well done on the tempo runs.

Pammie, you are definitely clocking those miles up!

UB, you get anything nice from M&S then or just relish the chance to have the TV to yourself?  When's your next race?  I remember you do XC like me & Euph.

Did a session with the club last night and felt dreadful, not my leg, just the whole CV thing, nothing there.  We did 3 mins on track, 5 long hill reps, 2 mins on track, 5 long hill reps and 1 min on track, followed by 5 x 100m strides cool down and 2 laps jog.  Well off the pace and felt demoralised.  After that I have decided not to do Thirsk 10, as I'm not in the shape to run a decent time and no point pushing myself when I'm not running well.  I definitely need my mojo back .......

Ran into work this morning and was met by my cousin at the road end (by coincidence) who is also a runner (and very good male vet).  We ran the first 3 miles together, then he carried on, as I branched off towards work.  It was good, as I ran at a much better pace than my normal dawdling on a morning, while still being able to chat.  Only thing was I desperately needed the toilet, so then had to disappear at the first opportunity once we had parted company.  That could have been a nasty accident!!  LS will know what I mean, I could done with some of that moss!

• Options

JBSS – take care of that leg –too much info. on your run in to work – my next XC is 14 December – sorry about your club session, I know how that feels, I still haven’t got my mojo back since FLM 08 and trying to find a motivational target that slaps me into action. I have a club 10k time trial next week which I am looking forward to, will see if all my track sessions have made any difference to my speed.

• Options

Afternoon

Umbongo - Crazy as it sounds i have thought about back to back longish runs on the Sat/Sun  before where the total at least equals the marathon distance (an idea piched from ultra runners)

Jellybaby - That was some session of yours. Sounds exhausting

Off for a run shortly