Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options

Crispy2, your plan sounds fine to me as it allows you to build up the mileage before perhaps increasing speed/pace depending on what time you wish to finish in. If you look back on this thread I posted a flexible plan for 24 weeks that ought to help you finish in about 5 hours - 11 minute miles.

If anyone uses it, you can afford to repeat the first 18 weeks twice if you start on Sunday coming - it will allow for you to overcome those niggles etc that everyone starts to have (out of fear in my opinion).

I am on another thread (Thousand Mile Club) and currently taking two weeks off to do speedwork because I have already completed 1000 miles earlier last week - will try and do the next 1000 miles a wee bit faster starting 1 July.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander,

How early do you think you should really start your training. For me I've not run since 2012 due to my knee injury but as I said I cycle 100 plus miles per week. Currently I'm just doing the odd 5k
  • Options

Spenno,

The eariler the better as it allows you to build up stamina and later speed. What sort of finishing time do you want to complete the race in comfort?

If you just aim to finish in say 5-6 hours I would suggest that you make all your runs equal the month of year - for now it would be 6 miles and by Christmas you will be doing half marathons as your long run with Parkruns to do your speed work.

Midweek you could do paced and tempo runs to build strength/endurance but about 75% of your long run distance.

Hope this helps.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Cheers,

I would like to achieve 5 hours.

• Options

That is great - I am hoping to pace at 5 hours again next year - will know when RW announces the pacers again 

You may want to follow the training programme I posted earlier or more popular ones others mention. (Hal Higdon etc) they all work if your lifestyle permits.

• Options

Thanks Harmander. Very helpful. I'll have a look for you plan. 

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Morning! Filthy weather out there this morning - can't wait for my run home today! Still, it's only 3 miles so won't be too bad. Week 2 now of 12 week training plan for my September HM.

Hello Spenno and Crispy - hope you're ok.

Harmander you're a legend!
  • Options

Thabks Trigger - good here thanks. Lovely weather in sunny Hull lately, I've had some very pleasant early morning runs. I'm sure the rain will return soon though. 

Forgot to say congratulations to Harmander on getting to 1000 miles on my last post. Very remiss of me. Impressive running that!

• Options

Hi

I got a place in VLM in the ballot last year at my first ever attempt.  There was no way I was going to do it this year so deferred until 2017.  So far, though, my progress seems to have amounted to have finally got in the habit of getting out to regular parkruns on a Saturday morning.  Beyond that - have struggled round a few 10ks and did get to do my first half marathon - which was about half walking half running last October.  My problem is with anxiety over going out running so it's proving very difficult.  Have made some progress though - just need to make a lot more if I'm going to be there next year - but obviously really don't want the chance to slip away when it's so difficult to get in again.

• Options

Thanks Crispy2,

Was little Harvey's equivalent of Christening today so had to rush 13.71 miles in 2:22:21. (10:23 mins/mile or 4:32 marathon pace)

YTD = 1154.70 miles in 210:41:03 hours

An average of 10:56.84 mins/mile or 4:47:02 marathon pace.

Purple Green Imp, I suggest that you distract yourself with weekly targets followed by monthly targets while maintaining a race pace.

• Options

Hope everyone is running well and is ok. 

I successfully completed my first 10K yesterday in York, 55m 22s, happy with that and thoroughly enjoyed it! Yorkshire 10 mile next in October...

• Options

Well done Crispy2,

Predicted marathon times based on your race times over shorter distances  (Quick rule of thumb) is:

5 km time x ten.

10 km time x five (yours will be 4 hours 37 minutes(ish).

10 miles x three.

Depending on how frequently and close to the marathon date you run those distances of course - no point in using your Parkrun time from six months earlier as a guide. lol.

I know we are all different and have unique lifestyles/responsibilities  but for me to deliver my agreed finishing time as a pacer, I regularly practice pacing once a week at at least half a minute a mile faster than race pace for at least a half marathon pace.

With eight months to go, as a 5 hour pacer (11 minutes 26 seconds a mile) I am averaging 10 minutes 58 seconds a mile when training and 10 minutes 15 seconds a mile when pacing half marathons.

I also put in a few miles a week - since 1 January I have run over 1270 miles which includes six marathons with another eight planned before London. Hopefully this should give you guys a little confidence in me being able to help those of you wanting to finish in 5 hours.

• Options

Well done Crispy and hope the 10 miler goes well.

I got out a couple of times last week but it was mostly walking and only felt up to short spells of running.  But got another parkrun in on Saturday.  Midweeks are the difficult part though as I generally don't feel well enough to do much after a day at work.

• Options

PGI,

afraid there are no short cuts to marathon running - otherwise we would all be marathon runners and it won't be as much 'fun'.

The way I approach it is to record EVERY run I do and work out how long it would take me to complete the marathon - doing this regularly will show remarkable progress and that in itself will encourage you to persevere.

As I said earlier, try to run the miles of the month as your long run - by the end of this month you should be at eight miles - even if it is the once.

• Options

I am recording every 'run' on Strava.  But unfortunately there's no such thing as a 'long run' for me right now.  Come the time, I will be taking several days off work which will ensure that I'm in better shape mentally come the big day than I am when trying to get out and run at the moment.  This worked well when I did my first half marathon last year as I'd not been feeling up to doing hardly any training for it.  But with a few days off work was feeling OK on the start line and did run the majority of it.  But crossing the finish line that day and thinking that would only be half way when doing London 18 months later did make me realise I wasn't going to get away with that for a full marathon.  I can walk eight miles easily but would only be able to run small sections of that if I was to attempt that distance.

• Options

Well if it works for you then that's great.  Have you tried the variations of run/walk/run method?

Several of our club members do anything between run two minutes and walk one  to run ten minutes walk one and many have completed many marathons in comfort.

The slowest pacers in the London was the 5:15 run walk ones.

Just a thought.

• Options

Thanks.  Not sure what you mean by variations of run/walk/run.  I just aim to do what I can when I can.  For example, last Tuesday I went out but didn't feel well enough to run at all so it was just a 40 minute walk.  Then on Thursday I was doing a bit better so, although it was again 40 minutes, I did spells of running around 5 minutes each.  Then on Saturday I did parkrun and ran most of that with a just a few minutes walk around half way.  So it all depends on what I'm capable of at any one time.  Just means there's not much of a definite plan there but I do whatever I can.

• Options

PGI, 

Two things:

1.  Just checking first so I do not suggest what may be inappropriate - do you have any underlying health issues?

2.  Being honest with yourself, how long are the 'spare time' blocks you can realistically devote to exercise in a typical week?

• Options

No I don't mind you asking.  Yes, there are health issues involved.  I've just come off anti-depressants for the first time in 4 years.  On the plus side, I seem to be finding it easier to get out there, but on the down side, the anxiety levels are worse so it's more difficut to actually run when I'm out there.  And pushing myself too hard will only make me ill.  

Spare time-wise is not a problem as such.  I'm working whole time but not having to work long hours and with only occasional family commitments, so the time is there.  But it can be more of a problem on the days when I need my spare time just to recover from the day at work just to be able to face the next one.

• Options

I understand, as a coach you will appreciate why I needed to ask - to shape a plan around your lifestyle rather than changing you to fit a programme.

The good news is that you have plenty of time so no need to rush - however the longer you leave it, the less time you will have to feel good about taking on the distance - this in turn increases anxiety levels in anyone - even I often feel I needed to have done this, that or the other before any milestone race (and I have run a fair few marathons now).

May I suggest that you look at the minimal training programme I submitted earlier - it is over 24 weeks with only about three runs a week to suit your work/life balance, As you have 36 weeks to go from now it should give you even more flexibility to suit how you feel.

I must stress however that this is a minimal programme for anyone wanting to complete in five to six hours and the beauty of VLM is that the cut off time is EIGHT hours so you can take it easy on the day if all you want to do is to be a finisher.

Fauja Singh completed the VLM in 7 hours 49 minutes at the age of 101 - so believe in yourself, you can do this.

• Options

Thanks.  It is reassuring to know there's a cut off of 8 hours - as I know that means that, worse case scenario, if I'm only running a few miles of it, I can achieve that time.  I am a fairly fast walker after all.  

I hope it doesn't sound negative but even the minimal training plan would be something I don't think I could be certain of achieving.  Mine is not a straight forward situation where I can be sure of achieving targets.  Like I said, last Tuesday I couldn't run at all - but on Saturday I ran nearly all of a parkrun.  So I will keep doing as much as I possibly can.  I am currently having counselling sessions and I'm hopeful that may help with my anxiety issues which may make the running a bit easier.

• Options

Wishing you all the best - happy to answer any question about running (particularly the VLM) as I am familiar with course.

If you are anywhere close to London, I will be happy to take people to run parts of it to familiarise them with it as I found it helps them overcome any concerns they may have. I will be doing this after October when ballot entry results are known.

The plan is:

October to mid November - Start line to Cutty Sark (about 6.5 miles)

Mid November to Christmas - Cutty Sark to Tower Bridge (about 6 miles)

January to February - Tower Bridge to Finish line (about 14 miles)

March - Cutty Sark to Finish line (about 20 miles)

In all cases I will expect to be treated with a MacDonalds Big Mac Meal from everyone. lol

• Options

Thanks Harmander and PGI... I'd be quite happy with the predicted finish time, it's in the ballpark I was hoping for. Of course, I'd just be happy to finish first and foremost!

PGI - it is hard to fit it all in around a busy life, I can definitely empathise. I fortunately don't have the health issues you mention (although I did start running to help deal with stress) however with two young kids and a very busy job, as well as a long commute, I too struggle to make the time. Early morning running works for me (I get up at 4.30 most days) but appreciate it's not for everyone). I too am planning to book some time off work around February and March to help fit it all in! Hope you find a system that works for you 

• Options

Absolutely Crispy2.

Watching the Olympics has spurred me on even more- I just entered the Ballot for the Tokyo Marathon in February - thought I'd just take my chances and see if I can reduce the £2600 it is going to cost me through the organised route otherwise - it is the only Marathon Major I have not done.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Evening all. Sorry for radio silence, it's been a busy (but also lazy) summer !

Thoughts turning to running again now (I HATE running in the summer so normally do some event or other in May/June then give it a rest for a few months). Booked in for a 10k in a few weeks time, then a couple more of those and in to the marathon programme.

Tuesday marks 8 months exactly to London Marathon - better get out there ! 

Harmander - How about designing a 24-week plan for me? Starting off a 10k base, slow build up (to avoid a flare-up of my ITB problem from last year). 10k event at the end of week 13 (London Winter Run) and half-marathon event (Colchester) at the end of week 20. 3 runs a week. I'll join you for Cutty Sark to finish line at some point in March too, as long as you're no faster than 4:30 to 5:00 pace again this year?

• Options

Hey KieranG, your posting woke me up - lol

No problem - will do so shortly.

I am pacing at Richmond Marathon next month and will be the last finisher as it has a 5 hour cut off. I have continued running throughout the year but confess I too hate running in the heat.

Did 'Not The Rio Marathon' at Olympic Park today.  In line with the feedback from other participants, I am not going to include it in my top 100 marathons run. I wont say more as I am sure the organisers were doing their best.

Still my 

YTD = 1369.71 miles in 250:48:50

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Thanks Harmander - I've had my excel spreadhseet out tonight and about 4 different training plans (BUPA, Hal Higdon etc..), none of which have worked (I can't seem to fit them to the 10k and HM events I want to do), so I've lost the will image

• Options

Many people have said the same about strict plans not fitting into their life patterns - they all assume we are robots.

The earlier plan I put up allows you do the runs you can in the week to suit oter responsibilities.

Knackered now so going to nod off.

• Options

I tend to prefer summer for getting out on lighter evenings - but it's been a fairly warm on this year which hasn't helped. 

I really must get out again this week though.  Other things happening last week that meant it was never going to happen.  Although I'm only capable of short bursts of running at the moment due to anxiety levels, really need to get out again.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

I marked the 8 months to go to VLM 2017 date yesterday by not running - that's commitment for you image

Sorry, forgot to say hello to new people the other day. Crispy, Spenno and Purple Green Imp - welcome to the thread hope you get something from it. It will become much more active as this year goes on and Christmas passes. Blithe's 2016 First Timers thread last year was legendary and we'll hopefully carry that on.

Don't run today - far too hot, that would be very silly in my view....