Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Parkrun was good yesterday, I went down with the intention of plodding round but I always end up trying to go as fast as I can (within reason!)  Minute off my pb, but I'll get back there within a few weeks.  Photographer snapped me looking OK apart from the flabby ageing skin on my leg going in a different direction from the test of my body!!  One of the drawbacks of growing old! image

Nice 6 miler this morning, very steady, beautiful scenery though and lots of girlie chat.

Foot ached a bit after yesterdays run and was a little swollen so will give exercise a miss tomorrow and let the bod heal.

Hope everyone else has had a nice weekend, been fabulous down here but I got roped into building a little wall with hubby this afternoon - life is always varied for meimage

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Phew what a scorching weekend.

Parkrun for me on Saturday and was hoping for a longer run yesterday but I struggled bigtime to finish 3.77! Never mind - BUPA 10k on Bank Holiday Monday and I've managed to move up a whole 3 pens - yeah!

Take care all of you with niggles xx
  • Options

Baking hot yesterday, decided to go a minute a km slower than London at the Halstead Marathon.

Great medal though.

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Well done Hamander - that was crazy weather to be running in!
  • Options

Thanks trigger2, I decided to slow down by a minute a km from my London pace but found it challenging even then.

Would prefer running in a blizzard any day.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Good run in the rain today. Furthest I've been since the injury - 5 miles and absolutely no pain, and at a decent pace. Fingers crossed the slow slow build up is working.

I'm also now running without covering my leg in bright blue KT tape, but still use the compression band above my knee. Not sure it's actually doing anything but I don't want to risk taking it off until after the 10k event a week on Sunday. After that I'll start to build up slowly again without any medical supports....   

Harmander - good effort to run a marathon in the heat on Sunday. I managed 5k and was still pouring with sweat an hour after I'd had a shower !!

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

Well done Kieran sounds like you are going well, sensible to keep building up slowly. I think I've almost recovered from London now - feel fine but think I am getting more tired than I would expect on my recent runs. Doing a club run tomorrow with my normal group and a 10k on Sunday which will give me more of an idea!

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Thanks Nick. Don't they say a day for every mile to fully recover ? Another week or so of light recovery work should do the trick then - so take it easy on the 10k !

Blithe - very disappointed you didn't enter the ballot - it just means you'll have to hand out BicMacs to us at Tower Bridge next year image Have you looked at RunKeeper? - there's some really good 10k "get faster" plans on there. The app is brilliant and it talks you through the sessions if you want it to (i.e. tells you when to run fast/slow etc. for interval training and the like). I'm starting the Sub-1hr 10k programme in a couple of weeks time, 16 week plan to an event in mid-September, should keep me busy over the summer image

SickNote - have you actually moved off the sunbed yet?

TopSec - what news on the foot - any better?

• Options

Thanks Trigger and Kieran,

I am familiar with an hour per mile to recover not a day. lol

Just did another lazy 7 mile recovery hill run this morning in the drizzle - it was heaven after the sunny Sunday.

My co-pacer in the London had all sorts of gadgets, I relied on a £5.99 Argos watch. Plans on paper and Apps are probably brilliant but I found I can't run on paper and the Apps and plans don't do the running for me.  It's going out there and steely determination during training which can also be fun that make the actual races enjoyable. The Big Macs are a reward - am getting an urge for pie and mash now lol.

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭

"A day for every mile" is surely very broad brush, as your recovery (for a given distance) will get longer as you get older and vary from person to person anyway. If I am not fully recovered then it will just give me a good target as I don't have a proper 10k PB at the moment anyway image

• Options

'er indoors takes a week to recover from a Parkrun - pb of 42 minutes lol

• Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭

Well done Harmander!!!

Well done to you too Kieran image and yes I did get off my derriere last night and did a 4 mile off roader. Back in training now for an 18 mile hilly trail run in June.  Bought my VLM 2016 photos yesterday will upload my moment of glory one next post

• Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭

Well done Harmander!!!

Well done to you too Kieran image and yes I did get off my derriere last night and did a 4 mile off roader. Back in training now for an 18 mile hilly trail run in June.  Bought my VLM 2016 photos yesterday will upload my moment of glory one next post

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Great photo SickNote! I've yet to find one where I look anywhere near as good as that!

Short run home for me last night - just under 3 miles. Will extend that a little further tomorrow but still taking it easy.

What cross training do others do on here? I've got one of those gazelle glider things and a rebounder but haven't really used either as part of a plan tending to stick to running 4 x a week.

Well that serves me right for complaining about the heat - miserable weather out there again today image
  • Options
    Sick Note2Sick Note2 ✭✭✭

I don't realty cross train anymore Trigger - but I do walk a lot with the dog. I intend to take up Pilates next week also!

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Tried Pilates but it wasn't really my bag - good luck SickNote!
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Cycling trigger - an hour or so up and down a few hills, low impact on the knees/ankles etc. but good for the old leg muscles (different ones to running) and cardio (as long as you push hard rather than a leisurely ride with a basket of baguettes on the front !).

• Options

I keep on getting confused with Pilates, thought it meant Parathaas, (Indian pancakes) tried loads before a run but weighed me down - lol

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kieran - have got a bike but I'm not very good at riding it - will maybe have a go at riding to parkrun! Like the image of a leisurely ride with baguettes though.

Lol at the parathaas Harmander - unfortunate!
  • Options

Hey everyone, I cannot seem to add my picture to the square on the left. Any one syllable instructions would be appreciated.

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Sunny run again today - sprint intervals, with "slow" rests, which became walks in the shade !

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Harmander.

Go to "my settings" and click on "edit" on the photo in the top left corner. Click on "browse" and find your photo, then save. The photo can't be more than 4mb and can only be 180 pixels wide (perhaps check the size of it and re-size in a picture app - "Paint" would be fine for that).

Hope that helps 

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Morning all! Not quite so lovely out there this morning but it's going to get better apparentlyimage

Tried a new route home last night which was slightly longer than I'd expected and a little hillier too! Normally average around 2.27 miles if I'm just going for a jog building up to 5 miles if I'm training - last night it worked out to 3.25. Warm too so next time I'll have to take some water with me.

Any plans for the weekend? Parkrun for me and a planned 4 - 4.5 on Sunday.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Morning,

Just back from Pilates but decided to give the step and tone class that follows a miss, I've done lots of gym classes this week and a run on Wed and my legs are feeling a bit tired and as I have a sprint tri on Sunday figured they need a couple of days rest image

Parkrun marshalling tomorrow

Bit cooler down here today and it's trying its hardest to rain but nothing so far.

Have a good weekend folks, hope everyone gets a nice little run in somewhere image

• Options

Kieran,

Many thanks, I am not sure how I did it but sort of followed your instructions and got what you see on the left now.

If you ever see this image on Crimewatch, you will know its me on the run. lol

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Lovely weekend - hope everyone's well. Parkrun for me on Saturday and just over 4.5 miles yesterday.
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope you had a good weekend.

Almost didn't run on Saturday as I was very stiff after the sprint intervals on Thursday. But I dragged myself out and plodded round for 50 minutes as instructed by the training programme.

Then I went out today on what was supposed to be 30mins fartlek. Ended up just running hard (a threshold run I suppose) for 30 minutes and produced my 4th fastest ever 5k (3rd fastest if you don't count the treadmill). 

Looking forward to the 10k event on Sunday, it will be interesting to see where I'm now at post-injury.

Harmander, not sure the bright green hat is much of a disguise for Crimewatch purposes - I'd stick to a black balaclava from now on image

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Feeling worn out today, think I have done a bit much and my old bod is saying 'hang-on'!!  I go to a gym class every weekday morning, this morning it was Spinning at 7 and then a abs & tone at 8:30, well everything just flipping hurt and wouldn't work image  I did a sprint tri on Sunday and then circuits yesterday morning and a short run last night, with a fast timed mile that our club did for MacMillan Nurses (8:15 was best I could do, slower than last year)

I have something planned for every day this week and a couple of evening runs on top so I think may have to step back from one day or else my aches and pains will just get the better of me.  Still not sure my foot is back to normal, it still hurts in certain positions so may need to knock back on the running for a week or so.

This getting old malarkey is just no goodimage  Otherwise, all is fine!

• Options
    trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    Wow TopSec that really is some schedule you have going on there. I don't do half of what you do and my old body complains occasionally. My week is 2 x runs home (between 2.75 and 3.5 miles) 2 x walk to work 1.3 miles; 1 parkrun (3.1 miles) and a run on Sunday which currently is increasing from 4 miles to a 10k in 2 weeks time. This still allows me 3 rest days. Maybe stepping back from something is what you need to do. After all, we want you fit and raring to go at the start of VLM 2017 image

Hope everyone is well? Sitting here at my desk waiting for the rain to start image