Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Morning all. Just did 9 miles in too hot weather for me. I felt like you Orbutt!

Any report back on RFTS?

Good luck Nodster today!

Kenno i echo what Jimbob said. My physio always says i can exercise as long as it doesnt hurt do the last time i had an enforced layoff due to tendinitis could only do swim/nothing. I know its hard but your body will appreciate the rest. Hope it will be ok for you.

• Options
    Hi all, here is my Plan for the comming week:

MO 45min Marathon pace

DI 60min moderate

DO 30 min fast

SA 21.9k moderate, Last 15min Marathon Pace

The target is a marathon Pace of 5:30/km or slightly faster.

Have a good running week!
  • Options

TB02 - I survived! Hot and sunny but spectacular scenery and a great race. I had vaguely pencilled in between 14 and 15 hours and was pleased to finish in 14:47 for a top 50 ladies' place. But goodness I'm stiff two days later - the hills have really taken it out of my hips and I'm still waddling like a penguin! 100kms is far enough, I think image.

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Good going RR - I can't imagine running that far, let alone running that far in the heat that seems to have descended on the UK on my return! It sounds completely amazing, and would love to do this one day, for the challenge and the scenery, but not sure I have it in me to run that much in one fo (or even two goes doing the Sat/Sun double day - not sure if it's even worse going to bed on Saturday night knowing you've got to do it all again the next day). Never say never, but probably not... image

My post 'holiday' campaign has been pushed back to tomorrow after visitors over the weekend and feeling a bit not well this morning. Then I'm On It! Ha! 

About to post the latest edition of the list - give me a shout if I've missed anything these past two weeks. Any newcomers... the list gets published every week (mostly) with various incarnations of List Fairies trying to keep it current. If you want to add an event you're participating in or an important occurrence then give me a shout and I'll add it in for next week. It's a good way of seeing arranging to meet up in the flesh if someone will be at the same event as you. We're a very friendly and sociable bunch! It has also been known to inspire a mass sign up of forum members at random events around the world...

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

How'd it go yesterday Nodster? Hope the sun didn't give you too much bother!

Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 23: Iron distance tri - Outlaw Nottingham - Magna Carter.
    Jul 24: Surrey Slog - baldstan.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: Phoenix Summer Marathon - Nodster.
    Aug 7: York 10k - Andy W. Run Norwich 10K - Smudgerncfc.
    Aug 13: Roseland August Trail (Black RAT - 32 miles) - Christophe D.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Aug 27: Enigma Marathon - Nodster.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday. Maidenhead Half - iantcox. Kenilworth Half Marathon - Jellybum.
    Sep 10: Half Ironman - The Vitruvian - Magna Carter.
    Sep 11: Great North Run - Andy W, Christopher Field, Hales HayleyB, Hari2, Kirsten B. Surrey Bacchus Marathon - Benign Murmurring, Nells, Nodster, Betzza. Wirral Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 18: Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan. Coyote Marathon - LeggyMountbatten, Nodster. Worcester City 10K - Tired legs.
    Sept 25: Berlin Marathon - Mister Mike. Ealing Half - iantcox. Robin Hood Marathon - Nodster. Cheltenham Half - Christopher Field. Bristol Half - yer maj. Loch Ness Marathon - andrewr123.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 2: Chester Marathon - Andy W, Meadower. Leon Half - Running Rodent. Cardiff Half - The Jimbob, Nells. Great Scottish Run - Eggyh73. Lisbon Marathon - agentpenguin.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 9: Yorkshire Marathon - Karen Bowman 2, iantcox, Loubella. Great Eastern Run Half - Magna Carter. Oxford Half - kenno. Royal Parks Half - agentpenguin, Nells. Seco Alcester 10k - Christopher Field.
    Oct 16: Amsterdam Marathon - Christopher Field. Cabbage Patch 10 - Nells. Manchester Half - Kirsten B.
    Oct 23: Abingdon marathon - yer maj.
    Oct 29: Beachy Head Marathon - baldstan.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday. Marine Corps Marathon - Nodster.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. New York Marathon - The Jimbob, Nodster, Slinkyminky. Men's 10k Edinburgh - KennyM.
    Nov 12: Autumn Shakespeare 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 13: Lytham windmill 10k - Kirsten B.
    Nov 19: Birmingham 10k Mo run - Christopher Field.
    Nov 20: Phoenix Winter Marathon - Nodster.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 26: Saxon Shore Saturday - Nodster. Chasewater xmas pudding dash 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 27: Saxon Shore Sunday - Nodster. Florence Marathon - Tired legs.
    Dec 11: Telford 10k - Christopher Field, Tired legs.
    Dec 18: Portsmouth Coastal Waterside - Nodster.

Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Christopher Field.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Christopher Field.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.<

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.

• Options

Ah Nells, this is a nice idea!

Would you please add the following:

Aug 14: Erzberglauf www.erzbergsport.at - Franz Wanzenboeck

Sep 17: Trail Maniak Challenge www.trail-maniak.com - Franz Wanzenboeck

Sept 27: www.viennanightrun.at - Franz Wanzenboeck

Oct 22: Festungstrail (Salzburg Trailrunning Festival) - Franz Wanzenboeck

Nov 13: Marathon Nice-Cannes - Franz Wanzenboeck

Take care all of you!

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

That sounds like a good and varied bunch of races Franz! Would love to join for Nice-Cannes, but due to run Valencia the following week so probably best not to add that one to my list! Might try it next year as a relay pair...

• Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Running Rodent that was great and top 50 too -well done!!

i would love to do Nice-Cannes but don't have the money-i look at the list Nells to inspire me!

• Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭

Well done to all at RTTS.  I was in supporter mode for my wife.  I had a lovely day planned cycling around the route.  I cycled from the finish to around half way and saw Running Rodent and then went to find my wife.  Long story short, I then cycled back to the finish and got my running gear on and got a taxi back the where she was and ran the last 20 miles with her.  We finished at 4:30am Sunday morning.

I am so glad that I pulled out.  I might have got halfway, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it at all.  I really have no idea why I signed up in the first place.  I hate running off road, I hate running up hills and I hate running in warm weather.  Makes me sound like an idiot!  Total respect to all of you.

I've got an appointment with the NHS on 28th July to get assessed.  Hopefully I'll avoid going down the physio route with them as I've done it privately and it got worse if anything.

I understand what both TBO2 and Jimbob are saying about total rest.  I'm thinking I should find out exactly what the problem is first.  If I've got a tear I think it is highly likely that I'm going to get my foot put in a boot to immobilise it.  I'm struggling with this thought.  It's not just not being able to exercise, it will make it near impossible to do my job as I need to drive.  I might have to consider packing running in altogether.  Just don't know.  I'm not in a happy place at the moment.

• Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Hang in there Kenno, you still need to deal with life and work so I hope you can avoid the boot. Just treat running as on hold at the moment and you will come back better. We have all had bad situations to deal with so are with you in spirit. Good luck with your appointment.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

kenno - There are worse things than a foot in a support boot. I broke my foot at the start of August last year. It was booted for 10 weeks and then another couple of weeks before I was walking normally again. After that I was back running short distances soon after and back to marathon training five months after the break.

I was able to return and train hard. The only issue I've had is that I lost the best form of my life that I had pre break, had just ran a half PB two days before the break, and my race times this year have mostly disappointed me.

• Options

Happy Birthday Meadower

Hope you have a great day x

• Options

Happy Birthday Meadower

Hope there's plenty of cake image x

• Options
    Hi all, I just signed for the Hampton Court Half on February 19, 2017. It is near Bushy Park where I finished the Royal Parks Ultra in 2014. Just do it!
  • Options
    kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Hey Franz. I did that this year. It's a fast course. A bit windy in places by mostly flat.
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Wanting to get a couple of long runs in preparation for Chester marathon 2nd Oct, I did 16 mile LSR last Sunday and 21 miler today.

Re energy gels (SIS GO Gel) last week I wore a flip belt (zipper version) carried 3, lost one (didn't flip the belt) and the two gels were really warm. It was hot. It was still quite warm today, just not as bright and I wore my SPI Endurance belt with room for 6 gels through hooks. I took four and didn't lose any. Because they were on hooks and not tucked in anywhere close to my body, they didn't get as warm and tasted better.

This means I'm more likely to wear the SPI belt in October like I did for Paris. I did wear the flipbelt (which is a really nice snug fit) in Liverpool and had 2 gels (carried water/lucozade more as it was a hot day).

Any advice or alternatives?
  • Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    The High Five 6 gel belt also has a mesh zip pouch for a wallet. This is by far the best I've used, tried a few. I own two. Can be purchased from Evans Cycles online for about 6 quid click and collect. Have recommended to others and they have all agreed the ones that tried it out.
  • Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Morning all. HEATWAVE IS OVER! Phew! That was a bit of a hot week... Not much running done by me partly due to heat and partly due to work, but going to try and get a weeks plodding in this week to make up for it. Starting... tonight. Probably.

I do struggle with running belts. I hate anything jangling or jiggling around me (my own body does enough of that), so tend to go for ones that are close to the body. I've used a flipbelt and liked it until my phone fell out on a run (whilst flipped), and now have a spibelt which I like but it is close to the body so tend to get warm gels and everything is squashed together. I think I need to get used to the idea of either wearing a chunkier belt and not being bothered about how it looks, or dig out my little rucksack with bladder once I get into longer runs, especially if it keeps being a bit warm...

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Aug 6: Phoenix Summer Marathon - Nodster.
    Aug 7: York 10k - Andy W. Run Norwich 10K - Smudgerncfc.
    Aug 13: Roseland August Trail (Black RAT - 32 miles) - Christophe D.
    Aug 14: Erzberglauf (www.erzbergsport.at) - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Aug 27: Enigma Marathon - Nodster.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday. Maidenhead Half - iantcox. Kenilworth Half Marathon - Jellybum.
    Sep 10: Half Ironman - The Vitruvian - Magna Carter.
    Sep 11: Great North Run - Andy W, Christopher Field, Hales HayleyB, Hari2, Kirsten B. Surrey Bacchus Marathon - Benign Murmurring, Nells, Nodster, Betzza. Wirral Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 17: Trail Maniak Challenge (www.trail-maniak.com) - Franz Wanzenboeck
    Sep 18: Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan. Coyote Marathon - LeggyMountbatten, Nodster. Worcester City 10K - Tired legs.
    Sept 25: Berlin Marathon - Mister Mike. Ealing Half - iantcox. Robin Hood Marathon - Nodster. Cheltenham Half - Christopher Field. Bristol Half - yer maj. Loch Ness Marathon - andrewr123.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Sept 27: www.viennanightrun.at - Franz Wanzenboeck
    Oct 2: Chester Marathon - Andy W, Meadower. Leon Half - Running Rodent. Cardiff Half - The Jimbob, Nells. Great Scottish Run - Eggyh73. Lisbon Marathon - agentpenguin.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 9: Yorkshire Marathon - Karen Bowman 2, iantcox, Loubella. Great Eastern Run Half - Magna Carter. Oxford Half - kenno. Royal Parks Half - agentpenguin, Nells. Seco Alcester 10k - Christopher Field.
    Oct 16: Amsterdam Marathon - Christopher Field. Cabbage Patch 10 - Nells. Manchester Half - Kirsten B.
    Oct 22: Festungstrail (Salzburg Trailrunning Festival) - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Oct 23: Abingdon marathon - yer maj.
    Oct 29: Beachy Head Marathon - baldstan.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday. Marine Corps Marathon - Nodster.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. New York Marathon - The Jimbob, Nodster, Slinkyminky. Men's 10k Edinburgh - KennyM.
    Nov 12: Autumn Shakespeare 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 13: Lytham windmill 10k - Kirsten B. Marathon Nice-Cannes - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Nov 19: Birmingham 10k Mo run - Christopher Field.
    Nov 20: Phoenix Winter Marathon - Nodster. Valencia Marathon - Nells.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 26: Saxon Shore Saturday - Nodster. Chasewater xmas pudding dash 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 27: Saxon Shore Sunday - Nodster. Florence Marathon - Tired legs.
    Dec 11: Telford 10k - Christopher Field, Tired legs.
    Dec 18: Portsmouth Coastal Waterside - Nodster.

Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 19: Hampton Court Half - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Christopher Field.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Christopher Field.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Christopher Field.
    May 29:

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.

• Options

Hi Andy / Jimbob / Nells

I like to run clothes with pouches for gels,keys cellphones, money, ...

see www.raidlight.com Each short/thight/Shirt of this Company has 2 pouches for storage. I can recomend it.

Also, there is the http://www.waa-ultra.com/en/textile/63-ultra-carrier-shirt.html that provides autonomy for several hours. But I have not tried it.

In Austria it is very hot too. I have to run at 31 degrees Celsius which is better than last summer with 36 degrees. At 36 it is impossible to make a reasonable run.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Being Scottish I refuse to accept any heat reported starting with a 3 unless it's 3 or -3!

I also do my long runs in shorts with pockets for gels. Not sure if they still make them, but mine are Ronhill trail shorts. Have pouches and loops for gels built into the shorts.

I managed my highest ever placing on a 10km trail race on Saturday morning, finishing in seventh place. I think that might say more about the quality of the field than my running ability right enough.

• Options

Hi All,

another week gone, 37 weeks to go!

My plan for this week:

- 2:00 moderate plus 0:15 Marathon Pace

- 0:40 fast plus warm up/cool down

- 0:45 hill repeats plus warm up/cool down

- 1:00 moderate

• Options

On the gel belt topic, I have one of those High Five gel belt things Jimbob but he waist doesn't tighten small enough and when its loaded with gels it sags and they bounce around (I'm talking about the gels, not parts of my aging anatomy). The gels have fallen right out at the start of one marathon which almost led me to dump the whole thing in a ditch. 

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    BM .... I found that happened a lot with the SIS gel belt .... but the high five has been so reliable for me. Let's face though, a loaded gel belt is kind of annoying. Once you get down to your last 1 or 2 gels it's far more pleasant but then you are 16 miles into a marathon and starting to struggle. I wish I didn't feel so dependent on them as they start to taste horrible after 3 or 4. They kind of "work" for me at the moment. At some point I'll end up chundering at the side of a road and they will balls up my race strategy and maybe I'll have to rethink things.
  • Options

You're right Jimbob, it was the SIS belt I was thinking of. Anyway, I'm just coming back to running after a tricky hip injury that's had me limping on and off for months, so running far enough to need a gel is a distant memory. 

I've had to almost stop running and rebuild thinks through loads of strength training. Weirdly I've also found acupuncture really helpful. This has been a complete surprise and I've still got no idea how it works and my mind keeps mixing it up with voodoo. Next up I should get someone to look at my crappy running gait. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

BM - Sorry to hear you've been struggling with injuries. Hope you're back to being injury free soon.

• Options

BM - all the best for the healing process!

Last December I broke two ribbones and was not allowed to do ANY sport for six weeks. In April this year I finished the Innsbruck Alpine Trail Marathon.

Some might think the six weeks were terrible, but for me it was a great time of reflection and recovery. In the meantime I decided to stop Ultra-running. The load it takes on my old bones and joints is too much. The challenge in my age (57) is to run Marathon races and stay injury free.

(Only when there is a Royal Parks Ultra again I would break that rule. It was such a nice race!)

So take the time your body needs and be careful with changing your running gait because this can easily led to further injuries. I strongly recommend to seek professional advise.

• Options
    NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Hello image and welcome FRANZ, good advice,

Just to add something else in to the mix, Salomon's S lab race vests are worth a look. You can carry loads in them including your water on the front straps, mobile, loads of gels, cap, small cat etc etc. Great for the long runs, used my 3l one for trail marathons too. Do it up right & you hardly notice it's there, you even get a whistle !

Well done EGGY on your top ten, nice work.

Good luck with the recovery BM, wine at Bacchus has healing properties, at least it'll help numb the painimage