Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    The treadmill passed it's MOT and now looks as clean as when I first got it. It's also quieter as I've used some silicone spray between the treadmill belt and the flat bed to help it run more smoothly. 

The dvd/tv combo is also now on the wall above the treadmill <polishes halo> :)
  • Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Aquarius, I am growing a little concerned. How are you doing?

WtnMel, Your runner's group was clever with it's virtual Thursday event club. It's fun to see all the ways people are manage to keep going.

Excellent job by your garage on getting your car fixed and up to passing the MOT.  I would be annoying to have it there for the duration.

Also, excellent job by you on tuning up your treadmill.  The dvd/TV combo should help pass the time.  I find that I need to keep the treadmill on a .5% to 1% incline for all running, except intervals, for the results to transfer to outdoor running.  I'll be interested to see how the treadmills work out for others.  I find that they do double duty as strength training and mental toughness.  

Excellent picture!! But what the heck is AREk4?

HS, were you able to get out again this morning?  If so, was your run any more enjoyable?

Damien Nagle, how are your 3x/week runs progressing?

My hip is mostly resolved. Yay! I did 4 miler on the treadmill today.  I wasn't feeling great. For some reason, I'm really tired today.  I'm having very active dreams, probably due to stress, and I think that they are robbing me of some of the benefits of sleep. 

Hang in there everyone.  By fall this will all seem like a terrible nightmare.  And, we will be outside running again!

• Options
    I will fit at least 2 more runs in this week, I have been making use of the kettlebell doing the squats and the swing daily.
    Seeing as we got shut down at work this morning for 3 weeks I am going to have plenty of time to do stuff too.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Molly - as I wouldn't be able to hear the tv over the noise of the treadmill I picked a dvd that didn't need any commentary. The one I picked (and I can see why you thought it said AREK4 from looking at the photo myself) was actually a dvd of a performance by Cirque De Soleil called Varekai (or vAREKAi as it looks in the photo). I ran my treadmill run with it set to 1% but for a couple of 5-minute periods, upped it to 2%. My treadmill goes up to 10% btw and has programmes like rolling hills for instance where it automatically changes the incline from time to time. Good to hear your hip is doing okay. I had a very weird dream last night - lots of complicated initiative tests and puzzles to do - no wonder I felt worn out when I woke up this morning. I see the orange man-baby has pronounced he hopes the USA will be clear of Covid-19 by Easter - good luck with that one Mr Trump! (I think he's just desperate to keep the economy performing well so he gets re-elected).

Margaret has ventured out for some vegetables - I've given her one of my spare buffs to cover her nose and mouth while she's out. 

Currently listening out for the door as we're expecting the exercise bike to be delivered today. I'm hoping to make time later this morning to start on re-painting the garage door frame.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Molly, thanks. It is such a shame that there are so many ignorant, irresponsible people around, who only think of themselves. My little Monday  group will reform as soon as possible, but in the meantime we will continue to run solo as long as we are virus free, and are permitted by the Government to continue running. 

I'm impressed that you at one time trained by running up and down the stairs. I'm in a bungalow so don't have that option. 

Good to hear that your hip is feeling better and that you managed to run 4 miles on the treadmill. 

Yes, I did get out for a run yesterday and did an easy pace 5 miles with an unexpected twist. I was running with a much more positive state of mind, feeling relaxed. As the run proceeded, I was feeling good, and without any apparent increase in effort, my final mile was a average pace of 9.17 minute miling. My speed sessions with Sarah are obviously paying dividends for us both. A few months ago, that pace would have been a hard sprint, only maintainable for short distances.

WtnMel, yes it's good that we are allowed to run, or exercise once a day, with no limit as to the distance run. We are all running solo now, and keeping in touch by social media etc.

Sorry to hear that your car failed its MoT, but glad that the problem was able to be fixed, so that they were able "to pass it." You probably got the test just in time, because there is a lot of confusion now as to whether drivers would be able to continue driving, if garages were unable to do MoT tests.

It seems like you and Margaret will have no problems keeping fit if you are unable to exercise  outside, with the treadmill and exercise bike. You are a very resourceful couple! I like the picture and the set up, looks very professional. I hope the exercise bike arrives today, as expected.

Damien, good that you are keeping up with your running and also cross training with the kettle bell.

I'm not running today as I did some early morning shopping. The supermarket in the village has reserved the opening hour, 7.30 to 8.30 for the elderly, which includes me. There was a short queue when I arrived at 7.20, with everyone correctly spaced out. They have 3 security staff on the door, allowing only a few in at a time, ensuring that there is no overcrowding. Also making sure that younger shoppers don't try to gate crash the hour. They have lines on the floor for shoppers to stand behind at the check outs, to minimise the risk to the operatives.

The Marina, which is popular with runners and walkers has now been closed to the public, to prevent too many people from using it. The footpath is fairly narrow, so I suppose that is the reason to prevent people being in close proximity. I've never known it to have any problems with numbers of users, and yesterday, when I ran round it, it was deserted. I suppose the powers that be, are doing their best to minimise the risks. 

I will try to log onto fetcheveryone again, as earlier it was unavailable.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone

I didn’t realise how long it is since I’ve posted on here, and what a lot I’ve had to catch up on!

Molly: many thanks for your concern. We’re fine here thank you, although Steve and I still have cold symptoms we're both fairly sure its just the start of our normal pollen problems now that spring is here. We didn’t have any problems when we lived at the coast but since moving to a more rural area we’ve found from early spring to late summer we both get sniffles, sneezes and congestion. The first year I moved here I went to the doctor repeatedly as I thought I had a virus I couldn’t shake off but in the end they decided it was due to some sort of allergen in the atmosphere, most likely pollen. Steve also gets the same symptoms. I suppose it’s not surprising really as we often find our car covered in fine yellow dust, which also makes its way into the house if we leave windows open. I’m glad to hear your hip has improved. I suspect the vivid dreams you’ve been having are indeed down to stress, and your brain trying to make sense of the current situation in some way. I think we’re probably all a bit anxious at the moment but if we can keep some level of activity going it will help us. I saw a TV interview with Stephen Fry on Sunday, he’s admitted in the past to struggling with mental health issues and I believe he is the chairman of a mental health charity. He was saying that he finds it helpful to structure his day, taking time over daily tasks and doing the things you enjoy, like reading. He’s also started an on-line calligraphy course and is thinking of learning a new language. I found it surprisingly reassuring listening to him and it got me thinking. So I’ve decided to take a leaf out of his book. I’m setting aside time each day for household tasks (I know, that sounds pretty boring, but necessary, so to make it more bearable I listen to an audiobook at the same time) I’m also setting time aside for exercise, whether running, strength work, yoga or walks. When I did that OU course many years ago I was surprised to find how interesting Geology is, so I’m reading up on that again. I’ve got a Teach Yourself Geology book and I’m trying to read a chapter a day. Another thing I’d like to try is Latin. When I was at school we studied it for a couple of years up to the point where we had to make our choices of subjects for O-Levels. I liked Latin but wasn’t much good at it so my studies ended there. I’ve always wanted to have another go at it, so I’ve sent for a book which is written for school children - hopefully that may ring some bells and be a gentle re-introduction to the subject.

HS: I’m very sorry that your little band of runners have had to temporarily stop your group activities. I know how much of a disappointment this will be for you as you ran with them so regularly, and sometimes went out for meals or coffee together. I suppose we all have to try to look for the positives in this situation and firstly be grateful that we can at least get out for individual runs (although I know it’s not the same) and we need to keep reminding ourselves that this restriction is to keep us healthy, so it’s a good thing in that respect. As Molly says it will be over one day and we’ll get back to our usual way of living. Let’s just hope that our favourite cafes and restaurants will still be there when all this is over. (and yes, we’ll all have to keep this Mature Runners thread going! :) )

WtnMel: great photo, if I use a bit of imagination I think I can see that halo shining brightly! ;) You put us all to shame (well me anyway) with all the jobs you do around the house. People often talk about jobs that need to be done but you just get on with it. Time to start nagging Steve again I think…..although to be fair he’s been doing work in the garden and yesterday washed all the windows for me. Great idea using your buff when going shopping btw, I’ve got loads but hadn’t thought about putting them to use in that way. We are thinking of venturing out to the supermarket on Friday so we’ll take our buffs with us! Did Trump really say that? Easter?? What a buffoon that man is.

Damien: I suppose it’s a mixed blessing being sent home from work for three weeks. My eldest son is in the same position, and on the one hand I’m really pleased that he no longer has daily contact with the public but on the other hand he hasn’t heard yet whether it will be on full pay, which is a worry. Still, this whole situation is out of our hands so it’s probably best to take it day by day and try to make the most of your enforced time off. At least you are still getting out for your runs, which is something positive. Good too that you are making full use of your kettlebells, I’ve heard they make a great contribution to all round fitness.

Speaking of running I went out about 6.30 this morning for a short run, about 3 miles (although Garmin played up as usual, not getting the satellites until half way through my session). I didn’t go far, just ran back and forwards along a short distance keeping an eye out for other people. Fortunately I only came across a handful of dog walkers and a couple of runners. We all kept to our respective sides of the path but I have to say I didn’t much enjoy my run because I was constantly checking ahead for other people and working out if there was sufficient space for us to pass safely. I knew this was a popular place for dog walkers, but it was so close to home that I'd hoped I could get out and back before it got too busy. As I finished and was walking back along my street another “mature” runner passed me (keeping his distance) and we got talking about running during the current restrictions. We both agreed that it wasn’t enjoyable but it was better than nothing. He had been out for his run even earlier and was now going to meet his wife who was just finishing her run. Like me they both worried about getting their runs in before too many people were about. I suppose this is how it will have to be from now on, either find a route that is likely to be quiet, or get out really early. The irony is more people than ever seem to be out and about in ones or twos, getting what fresh air and exercise they can so even the quiet routes have a lot more people using them now.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS: Our posts crossed. I'm pleased you managed to get out for a run yesterday and felt in a more positive frame of mind. Your speed sessions with Sarah have obviously done the trick - 9.17 for your final mile is excellent. I'm very envious  :)
  • Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Damien Nagle, I have a kettleball, but I haven't used it for quite a while.  I really need to get back to my basic strength training. Thank you for the reminder.

WtnMel, It sounds as though we have similar treadmills. I think mine is a Nordic Trak.  I've never really tried the automatic rolling hills, or other pre-programmed runs.  After owning the darn thing for a number of years, I should probably try them.  Let me know if you find one that you really like.  

At this point, our president is saying something completely different from week to week.  Now he's back to saying that the coronavirus is the same thing as the regular flu.  He is not helpful.  

Stress dreams are definitely an issue. I'm glad that I'm not the only one having them.

HS, what a nice treat to find that your easy pace is now a faster pace :smile: Yay! I love it when training works the way it's supposed to.

Posting security guards at the shopping center doors is very sensible. I wish that our stores had thought of that.  We're still having some issues at our local store.  

I hope that you have another good run tomorrow!  My fingers are crossed that you will continue to be able to run outside.

Aquarius, I am very glad to hear that you and Steve are doing well, with the exception of seasonal allergies. I struggle with those, as well.  

What an exciting list of projects you have lined up!  I think the idea of ordering a children's primer in Latin is very smart. I wish I had time to pick up an old subject, but for me, work goes on.  In some ways, my life hasn't changed very much.  Or, at least, my schedule hasn't.  Though I am finishing up a project this week, which is always nice, and should free up some time this weekend.  

I've enjoyed seeing Stephen Fry in a number of shows over the years.  I can imagine that he would be an interesting interview.  

Good job on getting out for your morning run. This is definitely a time that makes it a little more difficult to enjoy runs. I've noticed that more people seem to be out and about now, as well. I think it's because more people are home during the day, and are going a little stir crazy.  It makes it occasionally difficult to navigate the sidewalks while maintaining an appropriate distance.  

Today is supposed to be a cross training day, but for some reason my legs (quads) are feeling really tight and tired. I'll probably keep the day's cross training limited to dog walks, in hopes that my legs recover for an interval workout tomorrow.  

I am scheduled to start my training for the October marathon in a little less than four weeks.  It does seem a little strange in the current environment, but I am going to follow the schedule and have faith that the race will go on. 

• Options
    I did another 10k run this morning and there were still people out with babies and young kiddies playing on the beach.
    Everyone keep safe!!.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

Molly: how are your legs today? I hope they have improved enough for you to manage your interval training. It must be hard to keep focused for your marathon when things are so unsettled but October is quite some time off, and I’m sure your president will have this “flu” sorted out by then.  :p
    It's good that you will have some free time this weekend, try make the most of it and unwind a little.

Damien: some people just can’t seem to follow simple rules (erm, probably best if you don’t read the rest of my post)

Hi WtnMel 

Hi HS

Is anyone else finding the internet really slow at the moment? We have BT’s superfast fibre but sometimes it’s taking ages for things to load. Perhaps it’s to do with people being at home and all trying to access it at the same time. But what do I know, I’m a complete IT numpty.

Moving on to other matters, I have to confess I broke the regulations twice yesterday. Once by accident and once by ignorance. The first was that having gone for a run early in the morning I completely forgot about the “only go out for exercise once” rule and accompanied Steve on a short walk. We’d taken the car to the petrol station as it was dangerously low on fuel, then continued our journey a few miles to the moors, where we had a rather breezy, but unaccompanied, walk. When we got home Steve suddenly realised/remembered I’d been out twice that day. That was bad enough but then I saw someone on a local facebook group ask if anyone knew if it was ok to drive to a secluded spot to go for a walk (as we did), rather than dodging people on narrow paths. The majority who replied said that as it wasn’t essential travel it wasn’t allowed. Someone said they’d even checked on that point with the police, who first of all said it was ok, then changed their mind. So it looks like we shouldn’t have driven to our walk. I hope it’s not a case of three strikes and you’re out (two down, one to go :| )
    My other piece of news is that I’ve hurt my knee. I’m not sure when or how, but I suspect I’ve done one or other yoga posture too enthusiastically. The last couple of days my right knee has been particularly painful when I try to kneel, or squat down. It doesn’t bother me when I walk or run however, so I think I’ll rest it completely today and maybe try a short run tomorrow.

I’ve noticed people posting about runners who run in pairs taking up the whole of the pavement, making others step into the road to maintain the social distance. Members of my club are concerned that if this continues then running may be prohibited. I haven’t seen any behaviour like that myself, but then our village isn’t a particularly highly populated area, I imagine in towns and cities it could be more of a problem particularly as more “new” runners take to the streets.
  • Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Damien Nagle, Excellent job on getting your 10K done.

Apparently, people are still congregating on our beaches as well. Which is completely nuts if you consider that we woke up to snow just a few days ago.  Normally, at this time of year, the beaches are pretty empty. The only reason that people are going there now is to be obnoxiously obvious about flouting social distancing. 

Aquarius, Yikes! Be careful of your knee!  Taking a rest day sounds like a good idea. I'm taking one as well :smile:

I had to chuckle at your concern for breaking the rules compared to some of the unconscionable shenanigans that are happening in the US.  If only our president had your care and conscience, we might not be quickly overtaking China as the country with the highest infection rate.  

Hi WtnMel.

Hi HS.

I woke up this morning and realized that I am completely exhausted.  I am one day out from finishing a huge project, and I am worn out from the stress of the current situation.  So, I am taking today to lay on the couch under my furry electric blanket, with my knitting and headphones, and I am watching old re-runs of stupid sitcoms on my laptop. It's heaven!  I'll finish the project tomorrow, and run tomorrow. But, today is a wonderful and much needed true rest day!

Stay self and healthy :smiley:

• Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, thanks! We are all gutted having to run solo, but are a closely knit bunch and are keeping in regular touch with each other on various social media including Strava, where we can see where we have all been running, with all the stats. 

It is a worry that the lovely little cafe's/tea rooms may not reopen, and also some of the pubs, one of which an Uncle of mine used to frequent during the Second World War, when he was stationed at the nearby Barracks.

Well done for getting out for a run yesterday. That must be annoying, your Garmin playing up again. I wait for the signal before starting mine, it only takes a few seconds to lock on. I don't see many people about now, probably more runners than pedestrians, as I run early. I'm still not running in the forest, as I don't want to have to open the gates, risking picking up the virus on my hands.

I'm with BT and haven't noticed the internet being any slower than usual.

It is correct that it is not permissible to drive to where you want to run. They have to be from home, but at present there is no limit to time and distance. Only one a day. The confusion came from a TV interview with Matt Hancock who said he didn't think there was any objection to driving to the destination. This was proven to be incorrect when a driver was stopped and asked where he was going, and was shown the regulations by the police.

Sorry to hear that you have hurt your knee, so it was a good idea to rest it today, and run tomorrow if it feels ok.

The problem with running in pairs is that if they are "a couple," then I don't think that they need to run 2 metres apart. It would though, be prudent to run one behind the other , at the regulation distance. Our club runners have all agreed that they wouldn't even run like that, hence running solo. We don't want to be banned from running by our club.

Molly, I think your President should be self isolated permanently!

Thanks, it is always rewarding to find training is paying off, even when there are no races to train for in the near future. I did run today, details below.

I hope your legs have recovered so that you were able to do your interval session today.

Good luck with your training for the October marathon, which I hope will be injury free. I do hope though that you won't be prohibited from running during your build up. The same possibility hangs over us too.

Damien, well done getting out for your 10k run yesterday. I'm afraid if people don't obey the 2 metre rule, they will prohibit running and walking for exercise completely. Presumably that won't apply to running or walking to the shops for food and back.

I did a 5 mile fartlek session solo this morning. It would usually have been with Sarah F, but we had agreed to run different routes from each other. Amazingly, just after my first mile, who should be running towards me but Sarah! We waved and gave each other "a wide berth." We have decided on Saturday to both do the 5k run, but at different times. I will start at 8.30 and Sarah at 9.00. I should be just finishing as she is starting. It will be interesting  to compare our times on Strava afterwards. I said that I thought my time would be slower running alone, and she said that she thought hers would be too.

Stay safe everyone xx

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Molly rest well and enjoy your sitcoms etc. Sounds like the right medicine x
  • Options
    Morning all,

No running today as I've been shopping, taking advantage of the OAP's hour. The supermarket very well organised with civilised queuing, security on the door only allowing one person at a time to enter. I got all I needed, and they even had toilet rolls. I didn't need any, so didn't join the hoarder morons.

Stood outside at 8pm last night clapping the NHS. It was good to hear clapping all around, and the cruise ships were using their hooters. Amazing support all over the country; together we can beat this virus if we follow WHO instructions.🤞
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

HS - I thought I had got in 'just in time' re getting my car MOT'd .. but I saw they've given people a 6 month extension now. I'm not surprised they closed your marina considering the narrow paths.

Aquarius - we'd already agreed with our cleaner before the lockdown that it would be a good idea if she didn't come for a while as she was panicking about catching it .. we offered her some money to help tide her over but she refused. So we're going to share the housework between us (though with me busy painting, Margaret is the only one who has done any so far!). I shall get the vacuum cleaner out tomorrow :) Good idea to read up on your OU Geology stuff again if you found it interesting in the past. Like you, I studied Latin while at school until it came to O level choice time. I've not looked at it since and apart from various phrases we all use from day to day (ad infinitum etc.) my only vague recollection is "Sedete" which I think the teacher used to say to ask us to sit down. I get on with SOME of the jobs that need doing - but tbh, the garage door frame I've just painted has needed doing for a number of years :(  You reminded me - the window cleaner was here last week so now would be an ideal time to wash them inside too - I'll add it to "the list" :) I've not noticed our internet being any slower than usual (yet!) - but if it was slower, it would be to do with more people working from home and the available bandwidth having to be shared out amongst more homes than usual. You're correct about driving to the moors not being 'essential' travel - consider your wrist virtually slapped :) We've a lot more runners than usual going up and down our road but none in pairs - they are mostly solo and when there's been more than one, they've been in single file and two metres apart.

Molly - I can't be bothered to go out to the garage and check but I think mine is a Treo T707 treadmill. I just did a manual run today but I'll let you know if I use any of the fancy programmes and how I get on. Hope your legs are feeling looser and not so tired by now. Hope you manage to get that project finished okay (judging by your post - it should have been finished today!).

The exercise bike arrived yesterday and I assembled it despite the ridiculous instructions (complete gobbledegook). Margaret has already used it a couple of times and apart from a slight knocking from the chain area against the chain guard, all seems okay with it. I shall add looking at the exercise bike and trying to stop the knocking to "the list" as well.

I've been painting the garage door frame - two coats of primer/undercoat yesterday and two coats of gloss this morning.

This afternoon I did a 5ml treadmill run. I made it a 'virtual' run by imagining where I would be if I was out running on of my routes around town (without closing my eyes I hasten to add!)
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

HS: how did you and Sarah get on this morning, did you each find you ran slower without the other to push you on? That was a good idea for each of you to do the 5k, but at different times. That way you’ll both feel you are still running together, (or at least as near to running together as is possible these days) rather than being a completely solo runner. 
    We haven’t been to the supermarket for a week or two now. My younger son got a few things for us the first week and his brother one got our shopping last week. Fortunately my cupboards and freezer are fairly well stocked still, so we’ve only needed fruit and veg mostly. This whole business of shopping is becoming more of a dilemma than it should be. Both of our sons insist we stay at home and they’ll get any shopping we need, which is really kind but I hate having to ask them to do this. Also I know they have their hands full with their own families, but when I mentioned that Steve and I might pop to the supermarket one morning during the oldies slot they got quite angry and insisted that we stay away and tell them if we needed anything. This puts me in an awkward position because I know that on each occasion they’ve shopped for us it has been a bit of a free for all going around the supermarket. Admittedly it’s well managed with customers waiting to go in queueing 2 metres apart, and the tills area is also well managed, but the actual shopping has people in close contact, particularly in the popular aisles. I wondered if the one hour oldies slot in the mornings might be less busy and would therefore make more sense for us to get our own shopping in then, but we’re under strict orders from our offspring to stay well away. 

Molly: how are you feeling today? I hope the rest day you had did the trick and that you were able to finish up your project and run yesterday. It’s crazy how people are still going out in crowds and just don’t seem to be getting the message. I’ve noticed from things people are posting on local Facebook groups that the culprits here tend to be teenagers. I suspect that now the schools have closed they are getting bored and missing their friends, so arrange to meet up as normal. They probably think that as they feel quite well there is no harm in doing this. Steve and I walked along the viaduct just past Lydgett’s Junction a week or so ago. At the time there were only a handful of people around, but a photo on Facebook yesterday showed a crowd of teenagers hanging around there. Madness.

WtnMel: Well done for managing a 5mile run on your treadmill. Even by making it a virtual run I’d struggle with boredom to stay on the treadmill for that distance. Good that the exercise bike arrived and is already in use. No excuses now for not keeping fit! Your mention of a cleaner made me think about our neighbours. They usually use the services of a cleaner, gardener, window cleaner, mobile hairdresser, plus someone who takes their washing away to wash, iron and return, also a dog walker, a car valet service and frequent food takeaways. Not to mention having both children at nursery. I expect they’ll have their hands full now, having to launder, cook, clean, dog walk and childmind themselves. :D

No running yet for me as my knee is still quite painful when I try to kneel or squat. It doesn't bother me when I walk, but I'm reluctant to try to run until it's better. 
  • Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

HS, we have a lot of restaurants that have permanently gone out of business quite suddenly from the financial strain of having to stay shuttered during the pandemic.  It's very sad, and hard to see how our area is going to recover.

I completely agree that my president should be permanently self-isolated and probably restrained, as well. However, I stopped looking at the news 2 days ago, as it was becoming too upsetting. Until the election in November, we are helpless to do anything about the current mess.

Excellent job on your Fartlek run.  I really like your solution for running Sarah's 5k challenge separately.  It will be interesting to see if your times change much.

It is nice to hear how unified your country is in support of NHS.  I don't think that our country has been that unified for a couple of decades.  

WtnMel, How active you are.  I suspect that if your current shelter in place restrictions last long enough, you may end up up redoing your house from the ground up.

Excellent job on putting together the exercise bike.  I am sure that you'll figure out the knocking in no time :smile:

Ha! your virtual run is inspiring.  5 miles is quite a long time to visualize.  It sounds like you are turning it into a form of meditation, as well. I plan on trying out my treadmill's rolling hills option during Tuesday's run.

Aquarius, I completely understand the quandary of how to manage food. Our stores are pretty much a nightmare at this point. My mother tells me that she is actually washing her fruits and vegetables with soap and then rinsing them really well.

Our son is fretting that we might have to go to the store, but I think I've solved that problem for us. I've signed up for a farm delivery service that allows you to choose what you want online. During the pandemic, they are delivering to people's houses.  They seem to have quite a wide range of items, and today is the first delivery so we'll see how that goes.  

Thanks! The rest day definitely helped and I am beginning to feel more like myself.  It also helped to stop looking my news feeds and seeing the absolute chaos and madness that is going on over here.  

I'm so sorry that your knee is still bothering you. But, it sounds like you are being smart about not pushing it!  At least you are still getting out for walks.

After my day on the couch, I was feeling much better, but not quite ready for an intensive run. So, yesterday morning, I settled for 3.5 super easy miles on the treadmill.  Today, I am going to sit on the bike for an hour, and tomorrow see how an easy 6 miles feels. If I still feel okay, I'll try some intervals during the week.  

The good news is that I finished the bulk of my project on schedule, and just have some odds and ends to attend to.  That is a huge amount of stress off of my plate. At least, until the next project that runs up to a deadline. 

The scary news is that an ambulance showed up at my next door neighbor's house this morning.  Apparently, Fred (the husband/father) developed 'flu like symptoms' in the last 24 hours that were so severe he passed out on the stairs and was completely disoriented.  I've been texting with his wife offering what support we can. It's even more worrisome because Fred has an underlying health condition.  The really frustrating thing is that Fred is a Trump supporter and had been adhering to the whole, 'it's not that serious' and 'its just like the regular flu' propaganda line.  Until yesterday, he was going into his office regularly and carrying on like normal.  What a mess.  

Please be careful and safe!  

• Options
    WtnMel, I used to be an altar boy, and the parish Priest said that my Latin was the loudest and clearest in the parish. The mass was all in Latin in those days. I can remember most of it, but not all of the English translation. Unfortunately, we did not learn Latin at school, and two French teachers left before our O Levels. Dominus Vobiscum -Et cum spiritutuo. The Lord be with you- and with your spirit.

All the runners I encountered this morning were running solo.

Well done with your painting and 5 mile treadmill run. I don't know where you get the energy or enthusiasm for all the jobs that you do.

Aquarius, the 5k running arrangement with Sarah F worked out well, as I had finished before she started. I was about 8 seconds slower than last week, but she was nearly 30 seconds quicker, I must have been slowing her down😓

The one hour slot in the first hour of opening for OAP's works out really well for me. The queue and door are controlled, and once they have let the first 3 or 4 in, it's one in, one out. This means no crowding in the store, and everyone is able to peruse the shelves in comfort. My lovely friends have offered to get me any shopping that I need, but as long as I am virus free, prefer to get my own.

I'm sorry to hear that your knee is still painful, but you are wise not to run until it is feeling better. I hope it doesn't take too long to recover.

Molly, it is very sad, the number of small and  larger businesses even, closing down with little hope of reopening in the future. 

I agree with you about watching the news. It is so depressing, and with most of the population being self isolated, makes it worse. One man ran a marathon in his back garden. About 337 circuits I think, must have been so boring.

The 5k arrangement worked out well, with me finishing before Sarah started. I was about 8 seconds slower than last week, but Sarah was about 30 seconds quicker. As I mentioned in my post to Aquarius, I must have been slowing her down.

Your delivery service sounds far superior to ours. The PM is urging us to have our shopping delivered, but the earliest slots seem to be in 3 weeks or longer. Even the priority customers are having to wait, and there are a large number of shoppers who have been on the delivery schedules for years, that are not considered to be priority.

I'm glad that you are feeling better now and just did an easy run on the treadmill. Hope the hour on the bike today goes well, and that tomorrows easy 6 miler goes without a hitch.

Good to hear that your project has been more or less completed on schedule. that definitely must be a load off your mind.

That's very bad news about your neighbour, especially as he was one of the many believing the Presidents lies. He is a danger to your country. I hope your neighbour hasn't passed on the virus to you and your family and also his work colleagues. No wonder the virus is spreading worse even than in China, where it all started. 

Take care everyone and stay safe and indoors, expect where permitted to go out.

• Options
    What a strange time indeed.
    One of my mates keeps putting fast times on his strava but it will not do him any good.
    My self I have now been in the mindset of self preserve with runs and exercise which will help me keep the fitness that I have gained. Tonight I did 1/2 hour on my cross trainer followed by a kettlebell work out and I feel ready to run a 10k tomorrow.
    One thing I have noticed is that when it went to 15 degrees last week I struggled for breath when running but in the cold and wet I find it easier.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Aquarius - re shopping, I've been feeling guilty about Margaret running the gauntlet of the supermarket and making use of the 'oldies' hour at our local Tesco. I've volunteered to go and do the shopping instead - the problem is I would just get what's on the list whereas Margaret would be able to decide on the spot what else might do for a meal if something wasn't available. Re teenagers hanging around in groups - obviously it's a scientific fact they know everything and are far better able to judge what's safe and what isn't :) The treadmill run WAS boring - I'm going to find my headphones and charge up my ipod so I can at least have some music or a podcast to listen to while I run. Can't help thinking those neighbours of yours who have everything done for them will be arguing about who should do what task as a result of this enforced reality check - the idea of them not being able to buy their way out of the effects of this pandemic are quite funny actually :) Hope your knee gets better sooner rather than later.

Molly - your president is a f*****g moron, claiming he doesn't believe the science and he has a 'hunch' the whole thing will be over by Easter. He'll have blood on his hands as a result of his inaction. Worryingly though, a majority of Republicans think he's doing a great job so it's feasible he'll still get re-elected. Hopefully some of his supporters will change their minds as the numbers dying continue to escalate. The problem about doing lots of house maintenance is I don't have an adequate supply of paint, materials etc. and I'm not sure going to our local diy store is classed as 'essential'. I managed to stop the knocking sound by taking the chain guard off (though it's a belt rather than a chain) and putting it back on (reminded me of switching the computer off/on to fix problems). Margaret said the treadmill stopped after an hour yesterday but she had almost finished anyway. I must read the manual to see if there's a setting I need to change or whether that auto-stop is a 'feature'. Glad to hear you've finished the bulk of your project. Sorry to hear about your neighbour Fred - the result of believing the lies of your president by the sound of it! :(

HS - sorry, you lost me at Dominus. As a Church of England choirboy there was none of that at the services I sang at. You say you don't know where I get the energy for painting and running - you've obviously not seen me slumped on the sofa in the evenings, trying to stay awake during whatever we've chosen to watch :) When I checked last week, the first online shopping slots weren't until 16th April - it may have changed by now but I haven't checked again.

I had a Skype chat with my friend Alan yesterday evening - it was nice to see him to chat to rather than making do with emails.

Not sure what I'm doing today. I think Margaret is planning to walk on the treadmill this morning so I'll probably run again later. There's gardening could be done - just don't like the sound of that wind outside so an extra layer will definitely be needed.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

Not that it’s a particularly nice afternoon, the weather here the last couple of days has been horrible. Rain, sleet, hailstones and snow. We’ve had to turn the heating back up and next week doesn’t look like improving much. 

WtnMel: Your point about shopping and sticking rigidly to the list is why I always have to go with Steve (do you also take the fresh produce from the front of the cabinet, without checking the sell buy date to see if there is a better one further back? The number of times he’s come back with items on the limit of their sell by date really frustrates me.)  :D
    As regards the teenagers I agree with you, and I expect it was a little bit of teenage rebellion against authority, plus a lot of boredom that resulted in their behaviour. 
    I didn’t know that treadmills could be programmed with a time limit, but thinking about it that would be a useful feature on the models in gyms - 20 minutes and that’s your lot whether you like it or not get off now and let someone else have a turn! I wish they’d had that in place when I was going to the gym. Enjoy your run today if you manage to get out for it.

HS: Well done for remembering some Latin from your altar boy days, I suppose you must have repeated the same responses so many times that it became automatic. It’s quite some claim to fame to have held the record for being the loudest and clearest Latin speaker in the Parish. ;)
    I would count being only 8 seconds slower on your own, than when running with Sarah, as a good result. It’s very difficult maintaining a fast pace when there is no-one there to race with. 
    You are lucky your supermarket is so well organised and shopping isn’t too much of a problem, maybe it’s just at the larger stores where the problems are. I’ve heard mixed reports about our local ones, sometimes they seem fairly quiet and at others it’s a free for all with the supermarket having to close for a while when it gets too busy. If the weather is fine then I imagine it’s no trouble waiting in a queue to get in, but I wouldn’t like to do that when it’s raining or particularly cold.

Molly: Like you I’m trying to avoid the news as much as possible. I know coronavirus is a huge issue at the moment, but you’d think there was no other news to report on. Our TV news broadcasts are almost exclusively about CV these days, even the interviews with experts and politicians hardly ever result in us learning anything that we didn’t already know. There’s rarely a positive slant on things, which doesn’t help. I know we need to know the latest facts and figures, but a more upbeat delivery would be helpful. 
    I’m sorry to hear about your neighbour, having something like that happen next door really does bring the reality of the situation home to you. I hope he makes a full recovery and realises how lucky he has been. It’s hard to say whether people like that are foolish or naive, but either way I’m sure he’s well aware of the seriousness of the virus now.
    Your mother is doing the right thing in washing her fruit and vegetables, that’s the advice we are given over here too. After a few days and literally dozens of attempted phone calls, plus email and tweets I’ve managed to register Steve as an elderly person with a supermarket delivery service. They are prioritising delivery slots for the vulnerable and elderly (i.e. those over 70) and I really don’t want to run the risk of either of us getting the virus with the uncertainty of whether or not Steve’s ablation has worked, so I’ve registered his details as an elderly person but I’ve also said we do have family that can get food in for us if necessary. I’m assuming we will get a delivery slot at some point in the next few weeks, but obviously after those people who have more serious health conditions, or who have no-one to get their shopping for them. We do have a small local store I could walk to myself, but it has very little fresh fruit and veg and in the past I’ve often made the trip there to come home empty handed.
    I’m glad that your rest day has helped, but no sense in rushing back to full training mode too soon, slow and steady for a few days won’t throw your training off track too much. 

Damien: I think you have the right approach, it’s better to maintain a good level of fitness during this ongoing situation rather than pushing all the time to improve. My feeling is it’s fine to throw in an odd fast/hard session now and again, but there’ll come a point when you'll peak and after that if you continue to push it’ll only result in injury. No-one knows how long it will be before events can be held again, months probably rather than weeks, so I feel maintenance rather than improvement will get you there in the best condition. I suppose it depends on the individual though and their usual training load. 
    It’s interesting you say you found your breathing was less easy when it was a bit warmer, I found my breathing was poor the last couple of times I’ve been out, which I’ve put down to my pollen allergy. I believe the best times to run is early morning or evening, when it’s a bit cooler and the pollen count is lower. 

My knee is still painful when I try to kneel or squat down so I’m restricting my exercise to short walks around the estate. Today the cold weather has kept most people indoors so we managed to get around without seeing many other people. The few we did see waved cheerily or shouted over a greeting, even though they were total strangers. 
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Damien, I think that you are probably correct by not over exerting your self in the present climate. This could weaken your resistance to the virus. I agree with with Aquarius that one shouldn't ignore harder sessions now and again, but just maintain a certain level of fitness until the pandemic is over. Most of our club members are finding it hard to motivate themselves running solo.

WtnMel, there is a good chance that Trump the chump could be kicked out of office over his bungling of the coronavirus crisis. We can only hope!

Church services didn't seem the same after the mass was conducted in English instead of Latin.

I think shopping on line is a no brainer these days with such a long waiting list, and no guarantee that everything on the order would be available.

I deleted Skype from my laptop ages ago, as I only used it to keep in contact with a friend working in Germany, so on his return, it was no longer any use. 

You definitely need an extra layer for working in the garden. We have been informed by the Council that they will not be emptying the green bags for garden waste until further notice. This will encourage dumping, the same as with household goods which are dumped in the forest.

With all hairdressers being closed, men with hair, not baldies like me will be growing mullets again like in the 70's.😁

Aquarius, yes I have my central heating on and it is likely to stay on.

I always check the use by dates and note that those near expiry are always at the front. I look further back and can usually find better dates.

I suppose I was about 14 years old when I was an altar boy, and at first carried a little book with the priests and servers words and responses. You are right that after a time I knew all the responses by heart. The Sunday services had several altar boys, but on the first Fridays of each month, I was on my own. This was a big responsibility and my parents were very proud. It was quite amazing that when I did certain transactions, the congregation would stand and sit etc. I remember pouring the wine and water for the priest at the side of the altar, and swinging the incense etc. Happy and innocent days indeed.

I was reasonably pleased with my 5k time, but even more pleased for Sarah improving her time. We now have a virtual 5k page on facebook messenger, for our club members to record their individual 5k runs, which are entered onto a grid, so that we can compare our times and WAVAS. 

I only had to queue for 15 minutes on Friday which wasn't too bad as I was wearing a coat and thermal hat. I think most supermarkets now have a policy of one in one out.

We now have the ridiculous scenario of letters to be sent to all UK households, at a cost of over £5 million pounds. We are already in overkill with constant radio and TV broadcasts and pop ups on social media. Additionally, there is the risk of the virus entering all our homes on the envelopes. Didn't the Government think of that, and the additional work load on the posties who are already under staffed due to sickness. The world has gone mad.

I hope you are able to secure a slot for home deliveries.

Hope your knee soon gets better so that you can run again.

The wind this morning was icy and I was really cold, despite wearing three upper layers, a thermal hat and gloves. I'm still wearing shorts though, as my legs don't seem to feel the cold. I only ran 3.75 miles because of the wind, and also because it was a recovery run after yesterdays hard run. There were hardly any cars on the roads and the village was deserted, like a ghost town, very creepy. There would be shoppers later queuing up before opening time at 10am, but that's about all. I didn't need to shop over the weekend, but will be queuing up bright and early in the morning for the 7.30 OAP hour.
  • Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Damien Nagle, There is some formula that predicts how much a person's pace will slow down for every 10 degrees above or below 50 F.  I'm not sure how that translates to celsius as the degrees between celsius and Fahrenheit are not in direct relationship. But, the main point is that until your body adapts, what you're feeling with the warmer temperature is normal.  For the warmer temperatures it has to do with the extra work your body has to do to cool down (sweat), and for the cooler temperatures it has to do with warming body.  Very lean people have less of a problem in the warmer temperatures because the body doesn't have to work as hard to cool them off.  Or at least, that is how the weather stuff has been explained to me. 

Great job on your strength training/running regime. I bet you find that it pays real dividends when we're on the other side of this nightmare.

WtnMel, I have enjoyed listening to the audiobook of 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' by Haruki Murakami during longer steady runs on the treadmill.

Can you order the DIY stuff online to be delivered?  Or is it just too unwieldy?  At this point, the only thing in our country that seems to be functioning in a remotely normal fashion is Amazon.  

For what it's worth, my treadmill always stops at 7.5 miles, and I've never figured out why.  But, to be honest, I haven't looked too hard. I just start it up again and keep going. However, if you figure out why it's happening, I'll be very interested.

I am so jealous that you are able to get out and garden at this time of year.  I am itching to get my beds dug out.

Aquarius, your weather seems to march with ours. While it's begun to warm up some during the days, it is still around freezing at night. And, there are some hints of possible snow in the prediction for later in the week. Still, at least it feels reasonable to walk the dogs outside now, with a warm coat, and that is a huge improvement.  There are buds popping up here and there on bushes and trees, which is very uplifting to see.

I am really glad that you managed to get Steve registered as an elderly person. My fingers are crossed that you get deliveries soon.  Yes, I worry about the heart issues, as well. And, Brian is still getting some swelling in his ankles when he sits too long, and some occasional irregular heart beats when he goes up the stairs.  

My neighbor seems to be feeling better today.  He went to his doctor and they are basically watching and waiting.  I'm mostly concerned that Fred will pass it on to his family. However, we (the surrounding houses) have told them that, if they all get sick, we'll take turns cooking for them, and leaving meals inside their fence.  But, it is scary. When the EMTs tell you that the hospital is to be avoided unless you are really desperately ill, it really makes it apparent how on your own you are here, if you get the virus.

I hope that your knee improves soon. It sounds like you really gave it a good tweak!  You are being very smart in giving it the time that it needs to heal.  

HS, Excellent job on the coordinated 5k challenge. Sarah's time was probably faster because the run wasn't as pleasant without your company and she wanted to get it over with.

Your 'recovery runs' always make me chuckle; one person's recovery is another person's work :wink:   Good job on having the discipline to get out in the cold wind.  I am glad that you kept it short.  This is no time to chance a cold.

Ha! As of now, I draw the line at running a marathon in my back yard, or on porches, or on treadmills. However, if the October marathon date comes and we're still sheltering in place, I may change my mind...or possibly lose it.

My farm delivery service is not a government organized service. It's a group of farms that have joined forces to market their goods online because there are no longer any farmers markets to sell at. I got my first delivery today, and it looks great. Though, I have a humongous amount of mushrooms.  I seem to have entered the amount I requested incorrectly, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of them.

I don't think we will catch the virus from our neighbor. Our yards are fairly large and there is always quite a distance between us, even when we're chatting over the fence.  We're friendly, but not close neighbors. 

Weirdly, and depressingly, Trump's poll numbers are currently at the highest that they've been, since he's been in office.  My husband is seriously considering moving us out of the country, if Trump is elected for another four years. But, I suspect that moving to another country at our age would be a very difficult transition.

Today was an easy 6 miles on the treadmill.  My legs are feeling pretty good and I'm feeling a lot more rested again.  My plan for this week is to try an automated 'rolling hill workout', an interval session, and an easy 6 mile run, with a couple of cross training days thrown in.  I'm hoping that my recovery time will be back to normal and I won't get overtired again.  Especially, as my training load is going to start increasing again in the near future.

Stay safe everyone!

• Options
    Good morning everyone,

Molly, Brian must be a great worry to you, especially in the current self isolating climate. Hospitals here in the NHS are nearly at breaking point, and I'm sure that it must be the same in the States. I hope he doesn't need hospital treatment.

Good news that your neighbour appears to be feeling better now, but its likely that he will pass it on to the rest of his family. It is very kind of you and your neighbours to promise to do the cooking etc if the virus does spread to his family.

Sarah probably was in a hurry to get home, but so was I! I can't envisage running a marathon in my back garden.

Your farm deliveries sound really good, saves going out and queuing at the shops.

Fingers crossed that you won't catch the virus from your neighbour, but from what you say, it seems unlikely.

I can't understand either why Trump is so popular. It's the same with Johnson who is in the same mould, yet got elected by hoards of lifelong labour supporters voting for him. The reason seems to be that Corbyn was so unpopular and too left wing, to be considered a suitable PM.

Well done for your easy 6 miles on the treadmill yesterday. On the subject of treadmills, one of our club runners said that she wished that those in the Leisure Centre (which is closed until further notice) would stop automatically after a certain time, so that others could use them.

Your proposed training programme for this week sounds good, and hopefully your recovery time will get back to normal.

No running for me today. I've been to the supermarket in the hourly OAP slot this morning and got all I needed. The control of the queue and entry into the store is first class. They are only allowing a handful of shoppers to be inside at any one time, so that they don't come into close proximity with each other. There are lines for the shoppers to stand behind at the checkouts, to minimise the risk to the staff, who don't have any protective clothing. 

I meant to say that Sarah H knocked on my front window yesterday during her run to see if I was ok, or needed any shopping. This crisis is making the majority of people kinder and more considerate, but unfortunately there are some ignorant xxxxx who are spitting at the police, social workers, etc saying that they have the virus. One spitter has been arrested, and should be locked away for life, in my opinion. 

Stay safe everyone and take care.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Afternoon all,

Aquarius - my friend who lives near Bolton posted a photo of herself on FB from her allotment where she was complaining that despite being wrapped in several layers, she was still freezing her breasticles off because of the snow .. people like me who live a lot further south were surprised to hear it was snowing. I do check further back in the cabinets when I'm 'allowed' to go shopping. I even used to notice the special offers (when they used to have them!). I decided to RTFM and checked my treadmill instructions - the programmes default to 20 mins but you can increase the time and the programme is adjusted to suit. I also discovered the maximum time on any programme and manual mode as well is 60 mins - that explains why it stopped when Margaret was on it a few days ago trying to walk four miles. I'm taking the advice in the paper at the weekend of limiting my news consumption to just the evening bulletin - no need to be checking it all day, every day. Glad to hear you have been able to register Steve as an elderly person at long last. Fingers crossed that knee of yours improves soon.

HS - I think I mentioned one of our club members started a "postbox spotting" thing on our FB page? Not just any old postbox though - they had to spot 'Penfold' postboxes. The latest thing is another lady has suggested a "how many running shirts can you put on in 30 secs" challenge - last time I checked, 8 was the best score. I'll continue using Skype to chat to Alan and I must find out what my sister uses (but I think she has an iphone, so its probably facetime for her). Re hairdressers, although not bald, I do have a #4 when I have my hair cut. So it will be a while yet before my hair starts growing over my ears and down my forehead into my eyes :)

Molly - I could order diy stuff online but at present, we haven't decided on what jobs to do and therefore, what we'll need for them. As I mentioned above, my Treo treadmill has a 60-min limit set and there's no way to change that. Glad to hear your neighbour Fred is feeling better - hopefully all will be well and he realises this was a wake-up call and to not have as much faith in non-experts as he has up to now. We have a politician here called Michael Gove, who during the referendum when some experts pointed out the likely economic downturn, sniffily said "I think we've probably all had enough of experts haven't we?". Come the coronavirus and suddenly, experts are back in vogue.

I may have mentioned I moved the nest box back in January from the trellis where it was, to the tree at one side of the garden. I can't tell you how pleased I was to see a blue tit popping in and out of it again this morning. Let's hope the bird in question decides it's a des-res and assuming it was a male I was watching, persuades one of the 'laydee' blue tits to join him. I have a friend who regularly has blue tits nesting in her garden - every Summer she keeps an eye out for the fledglings and takes great delight in letting everyone know when her tits are out :)

Margaret is on the treadmill as I type this - I'm primed to leap into action when I hear her come back into the house, no doubt shouting up the stairs .. "Coffee!!" :) 

Postscript: 

Margaret re-appeared from her exertions on the treadmill as I was about to post this and she did indeed shout out "Coffee time?" up the stairs. She was pleased to manage to increase to 6% incline for some of her walk .. and to increase the speed to 3.5mph towards the end. The other treadmill-related news is that I've tracked down my headphones - so I'll be able to use my ipod for future runs. And I'm pretty sure the tv/dvd combo near the treadmill has a headphone socket so Margaret will be able to borrow them.

After coffee we finally got our heads together to write down a list of what jobs need doing. We agreed the most important jobs right now are probably to wash the windows and in the bathroom & kitchen, get rid of the mould that is slowly building up due to the moisture in the air. There's plenty of other jobs on the list so I figure we'll get our heads together on a regular basis and agree what we ought to be doing (rather than what we would like to do!).
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon fellow “stay-at-home"ers

WtnMel: Ah yes, the delightful job of de-moulding the bathroom tiles. What a treat for you. ;) I’m psyching myself up to the job of emptying, cleaning and refilling my kitchen cupboards. I always like to think I haven’t any out of date packets, boxes or bottles in there as I check them fairly regularly, but then the next time I look I find various spice jars with use by dates of 6 months ago, or a packet of some exotic grain I bought on a whim and have never got around to cooking, which is now a year out of date. Where were these things hiding the last time I checked my cupboards? Also on the list is defrosting the freezer. :s
    A more amusing (well, for me anyway) job on the “to do" list is to cut Steve’s hair. It makes me laugh uncontrollably just to think about it. I can’t even draw a straight line, let along cut along one. Steve is so particular about things and so painstaking over details, whereas I have little patience with fiddly jobs at the best of times, added to which I’m overdue an eye examination and I’m struggling to manage with my current glasses. So something tells me, in the words of that famous song “there may be trouble ahead……” 
    N.B. Please don’t mention that sycophant Michael Gove again or I’ll have to have a lie down in a darkened room until I’ve calmed down. He is the personification of the oxymoron “an honest politician”

HS: I’m glad you are still managing to get your shopping in safely. I hope you are remembering to wash your fruit and veg when you get home and use a diluted disinfectant to wipe over any glass or packaged items before putting them away. That seems to be the latest advice, although it will probably be contradicted by another “expert” tomorrow. I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned this before but our postie was telling us he’s very upset that postal workers don’t have access to PPE as they are handling so many letters and parcels from all over the world, and delivering to so many different homes. After that conversation I now make a point of washing my hands as soon as I’ve opened the post.
    That was a thoughtful and kind gesture from Sarah H to check to see if you need anything. As you say a lot of people are going to great lengths to help others, while sadly there will always be the ones looking to take advantage of the situation for their own ends.

Molly: I’m sorry to hear that Brian is still having some problems. I meant to ask you about his progress in my last post but somehow I forgot. Will he be able to get a phone consultation with a doctor to discuss his concerns? It’s really scary how our respective health systems seem to be so overloaded with coronavirus cases that there is little scope for non-virus related conditions to be treated. I saw a heart specialist being interviewed a couple of days ago and he was explaining how he was being redeployed (and consequently re-trained) to the Intensive Care Unit, while his colleagues were also being moved to where they were needed most. 
    Great to hear that you managed a 6 mile run without any problems and still feel fresh. That sounds like a good plan for this week's training. I vaguely remember the rolling hills workout from when I had a treadmill. From what I recall it was one of the better programmes, a fair bit of variety with shortish hill sections. I hope you enjoy it.
    Good news about your neighbour, and well done for rallying round to help out with meals.
    (You could always use up those extra mushrooms you've accidentally acquired - Mushroom soup, mushroom curry, mushroom omelette, mushroom burgers, mushroom pizza, mushroom kebabs, mushrooms with a mushroom side dish, mushroom cake (well, why not?) mushroom surprise………etc.) I'm sure you could come up with a few ideas of your own. Be inventive.

I was listening to the Today programme this morning on the radio and heard a story about the ever increasing rift between dog walkers and runners. It seems (from the report) that more and more people are using local parks to walk their dogs at the same time as people are jogging and running. Inevitably there are times when these groups come into contact, however briefly, less than 2 metres apart. Dog walkers feel the runners are being irresponsible and selfish, and probably vice versa. It’s a shame that the heightened tension people feel at this time is spilling over into territorial spats, and making a mountain out of a molehill. I expect most dog walkers and most runners behave responsibly and respect the 2 metre rule, but for the few who aren’t this is just fuelling what seems to be a growing “issue” that really wasn’t a problem before. I was disappointed that Today decided to include this in their programme this morning. Possibly it was meant to be a light hearted interview, but by raising it on a serious news programme they are making it appear it’s a real problem. Unfortunately I’ve also seen posts on various Facebook groups from dog walkers complaining about the very same thing. If more and more people start jumping on this particular bandwagon we might find restrictions placed on runners regarding where they can go. A more depressing news item was on our local news channel, incredibly it seems that people are stealing PPE from ambulances while the paramedics are treating the patient inside their home. If that wasn’t bad enough (and this item may have been on the national news, I can’t remember) NHS and care workers are being attacked for their ID cards. What scum some people are, they must have no conscience at all.
    Anyway that’s my rant for the day over. 

I’m still having problems with my knee, so just another walk for me today. At least the sun has come out to play, although it’s still pretty chilly.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Morning all,

Aquarius - it wasn't the tiles that needed cleaning and de-moulding as the bathroom was only recently refurbished .. it was the plastic sealing strip along the edge of the window but as I cleaned the windows around the rest of the house I discovered they all needed cleaning. Re cupboards, I found some out-of-date Ryvita and melba toast last week but none of it was edible. Margaret said the fan of the built-in freezer in the kitchen had got noisy and asked me to help her move the food to the freezer in the garage. Thankfully I quickly discovered the culprit was a packet where the edge had poked into the grille and was rubbing against the fan. When I moved it, the noise stopped! (phew). Good luck with cutting Steve's hair. Margaret has bought some hairdressing scissors which she's planning to have a go at her hair with (one side comb-like .. the other normal shape). The idea of me having a go at cutting her hair seems to have been put on the back burner for now :) I'd not heard of people stealing PPE equipment from ambulances or attacking NHS staff for their ID cards but given what scum some people are, I'm not surprised. It reminded me of when I worked for Atos and another part of the company (Atos Healthcare) was getting a lot of stick for doing the government's dirty work and assisting with 'fit for work' interviews. When we went for our lunchtime walk we used to hide our lanyards so no-one knew who we worked for. Hope your knee is continuing to improve.

Haven't decided what job(s) I'll do today but I do want to run on the treadmill. Have just finished our morning coffee ('proper' strong stuff from a cafetiere) so as it's sunny I think I might cut the lawns or dig the plot at the end of the garden later on after I've recovered from my run.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Just seen this posted on our club's Facebook page and thought I would share it. One of our more resourceful members used some of his hill-work training to get creative and 'write' the club name ..

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

WtnMel: I love that picture, how on earth did he work out the route so accurately? I think he may have started a trend, it'll be interesting to see if anyone else can come up with something even more elaborate.
    Lucky for you that the noisy freezer was due to nothing worse than a packet rubbing on the fan. I hope you charged Margaret with the appropriate call out fee :)
    As regards hair cuts, strangely enough Steve seems to be in no hurry now to have me cut his hair, which is probably just as well as the only scissors that have any degree of sharpness to them are a pair of nail scissors and the kitchen scissors we use to cut herbs with. The kitchen scissors are obviously off limits, so that just leaves the nail scissors :|
    Enjoy your gardening, if you still have the energy for it after your treadmill session. 

Each morning when I wake up I have to stop and think “What day is it?” Does anyone else find this? All the days seem much the same now and it’s difficult to keep track of which day of the week it is. No parkrun to tell me it’s Saturday, no visit from younger son and grandson to tell me it’s Tuesday, likewise from elder son and granddaughter on Wednesday and Thursday, or younger son popping in for a quick coffee on his way back from dropping off at nursery on Monday and Friday mornings. Our world seems to have shrunk, and I really miss our family times together, but what I hate most about all this is having to acknowledge that we’re getting older. Before this virus came along I liked to think we were fairly fit and active for our ages (me 66, Steve 70) even taking account of Steve’s heart condition (which we hoped was merely a temporary state of affairs). But now, with our children treating us as vulnerable adults and making us dependent on them for shopping and giving us strict instructions about what we should and shouldn’t be doing, I feel a lot of my independence and identity even has been lost. If I sound full of self pity I don’t mean to, and I know our sons are just really concerned about us keeping healthy and feel responsible for us, however it does make you stop and think how much we took for granted before. 

On a more cheerful note I thought I saw a stranger coming out of my neighbour’s house this morning. He was a bald man I didn’t recognise, but he seemed on very friendly terms with my neighbour’s wife. When I got a good look at him I realised it was my neighbour, but he had shaved all his hair off. A bit extreme I thought, as it wasn’t anywhere near being long in the first place.

More discussion and confusion today on the BBC news about the discrepancy between the new police regulations regarding various aspects of social distancing and the actual law. Which reminds me, I saw a post on Facebook last night from a keen cyclist who was obviously used to cycling many miles in his usual training regime. He mentioned that he felt it was ok to still stick to a high mileage as that was what he needed to maintain his current level of fitness. Cue hysteria. Almost a hundred comments followed, nearly all from people who felt that if they had to stick to local walks then why should he be allowed to cycle further afield. They started off as fairly polite exchanges, but ended up getting quite nasty, with each camp insisting they had interpreted the regulations correctly. I’ll not bore you all with their reasonings, but I gave up reading them after a bit as it was sad to see people turning against each other in that manner. Personally, I feel if the guy cycles to and from his house I don’t see the problem with how long he takes over it or where he goes, but each to their own opinion I suppose.

It’s my elder son’s birthday tomorrow so I decided to bake him a cake. I don’t normally bake cakes for birthdays anymore as our sons are in their 30s now, instead we usually all go out as a family for a nice meal somewhere, but as that is off the cards just now I thought a cake would be better than nothing. Actually, as it turned out “nothing” probably would have been better. To cut a long story short I found once I’d started I didn’t have all the necessary ingredients, so I had to improvise. Lets just say it turned out more like a couple of chocolate biscuits sandwiched together than an actual cake, but it’s the thought that counts……….

Well as you’ve probably guessed I’ve no real news to share with you, still not running as my knee isn’t quite right yet, so I’ll spare you any more of this tedious rubbish and hope I can come up with something better tomorrow.

Keep safe everyone, and if you are running have a good one.