Options

The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Options
    Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Evenin' all!

Oh no, Andrew - I hate when that happens! Hope you got a chance to pass the 800 mark this weekend :smile:

Yes - go back to posting more regularly Harmander... I miss hearing what you're up to on a more regular basis. Well done on hitting 500 hours - that's an amazing total... I'm not sure I have 500 hours available to run - I'd have to run in my sleep :lol: (although, judging by my poor pacing in the middle of races, there's an argument to say that I may well be nodding off in the middle third - irrespective of terrain... it's most annoying!)

Hehehe - I like the sound of the car retrieval run, Hobie - hope the night out at the pub was good! :wink:

Wilmslow 10K for me this morning. After waking up to hideous weather... freezing rain/hail/high wind... it ended up being a glorious day for running and I was over dressed with gloves and a base layer under my vest! Ran an acceptable race - 25 seconds faster would have given me a PB... so not quite what I had hoped for but better than my last 10K. I definitely notice the lack of LSRs on Sunday... I haven't properly maintained my marathon base that I built up over last winter - but not long 'til I'm back to marathon training again - Yay!!! I'm looking forward to it! Today's running totalled 7.88 miles with w/c & c/d.

YTD: 1073.81 miles.

Whoops - forgot to include my usual pre-race leg shake out yesterday evening... did 3.36 miles of progression run to try to dodge the worst of the weather!

Actual YTD: 1077.17 miles.

• Options
    Since last posting I've done 4 treadmill miles, my local parkrun and today, the Doncaster 10k. Approx 47.40 today - slightly disappointed as hoping for a sub 47! Course was fast, weather was cold!

Harmander: Keep the postings coming. Its also good to have updates on the forum. Personally I find everyones updates interesting.

Nell: Sounds like you did well enough today. Well done. Winter mileage, lay those foundations. 

YTD: 896.2
  • Options

Good work on the races Nell and Donnie.

I did a couple of runs this weekend so am now in the 800s.

810 YTD - so 90 needed in 5 weeks to hit my revised target of 900.

• Options
    Morning all,

Looks as though everyone has been busy!

Hobie, Love the car retrieval run, hope you weren't feeling to bad following Saturday night.
    Andrew, Great running and now in the 800's, well done.
    NickW2, Amazing running, I would love to get under 44 minutes for a 10K, let alone pushing a buggy, you do realise this makes my 45.57 PB look a bit rubbish! :)
    Donnnie, Well done on the 10K, still a very respectable time.
    Nell, Well done on your 10K, and that's more than an acceptable run, and remember as nice as it would be to set a new PB each time, I suppose firstly it is not possible and secondly it would make it a bit boring :)

So, Thursdays Thames run turned out to be slightly muddier than I had predicted, and having run the course before I couldn't believe how much mud was around, especially the first half mile of each loop (Hobie, you would have loved it) anyway I still had a good run, if not a little slippery in my road not trail shoes, and finished in 4.12.54. Mum walked her first half in a respectable 3.54 and was chuffed with the bling!

Stat's for last week:

23.11.17 - 26.2
    26.11.17 - 5

YTD = 1135.19

Back to standard training for me for a couple of weeks before the next one on the 13th December.

P.S - If you are brave, google Challenge Running, they are doing an event in Suffolk called "Last one standing" and even have a video of what to expect, it looks great, but getting a weekend pass from the wife could be challenging!
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie - You can do it! If it's going to be tight that just means you paced it well haha. Well done on the 10k, I think cold is good for long distance but for 10k and shorter I think it helps being a bit warmer so that might explain you (and Nell) being slightly down on where you hoped.

Nell - nice work on the 10k, you're clearly not far off PB shape. I often struggle with the middle parts of 5k/10k races too, I think it's a mental thing - the bit where I've been going long enough that it feels like hard work but I'm not half way yet and doubt whether I can hold the pace to the end. Normally get a 2nd wind after a few mins though so think I need to just power through the bit that is hard.

Hobie - well done for fitting in an extra run to retrieve the car :)

Harmander - always good to read what you have been up to, certainly doesn't put me off.

Andrew - glad you got off 799, looks like 900 is well within reach.

David - to be clear, the 44 min 10k was without a buggy. Though I was still very pleased with it! That marathon sounds like hard work, muddy ground can really sap the strength out of your legs.

I had a decent 10k club run on Wednesday, a friend from squash came along for the first time so I ran at his pace, which was just what I needed after the session the day before. Stretched the legs in the last half mile to finish quickly which is always nice :)

Hoped to get out for a run over the weekend but didn't get time in the end, thought I had a window Sunday morning but had to pop to the shops instead. Probably did about 3 hours or so of walking with the buggy over the weekend though so not all bad.
  • Options
    Wotcha peeps...

Well done on the 10K at the weekend Donnie. I know what you mean about feeling a little bit disappointed... but your time was very good, nevertheless.

Thanks, Andrew - 900 is definitely on the cards for you, I think :smile:

Congratulations on your muddy marathon, David! :smiley: Sounds like it was hard work. Well done to your mum as well... I'm pleased to hear she's happy with the bling after her effort. Yes - you're right... it's not possible to PB at each race, but every 10K I've done since February has been slower. I'm going to have to change things up a bit to try to get back to "PB-ing" ways.

Thanks, Nick, as well. On Sunday I nodded off from about about 3.5 miles to 5 miles :neutral: Sounds like a nice club run for you - and good to support your mate too.

No running for me today, PT session and sports massage... but it was reps. at the track last night. I ran to the track, did the session: 5 x (3 mins, 90 sec. recoveries) + 4 x (30 sec, 30 sec recoveries), and ran home again. Each of the three stages was around 4.5 to 4.7 miles - so the total for last night was 13.90 miles. Essentially, a Half Marathon with track reps. in the middle :smile:

YTD: 1091.07 miles.

• Options

Wow, that sounds like quite a session last night Nell!

Do you perioditise (is that a word?!) your year's training? ie. a base period, block of 10k training, rest, block of marathon training etc? From what I read this is often the best way to build block upon block and gradually make improvements, rather than doing essentially the same sort of training all year round, which can get stale.

I've just finished a 10k training block (which yielded the unlikely pb) and am now in a bit of a rest and base training block until January in which I am largely just running easy paced miles with only the very odd, short session before launching into another 10k training block in the new year with the target being some spring races.

5 easy miles for me last night, so up to 815 YTD.

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Nice distance for a session Nell, make sure you take it nice and easy running there and back :) I used to do something similar with parkrun a few times, jogging there and back for about 11 miles in total.

8.1 miles for me last night, under 7:30 pace which was surprisingly fast for the effort although probably not a great pace for training (faster than easy but not pushing really hard). That brings me to 662 miles YTD. I've just noted down a brief (optimistic) plan that has me doing about 100 miles in December, in reality I'll probably not fit all the runs in and/or play squash instead of some of them, so 750 is my new target for the year.
  • Options
    Well done Nick - you sound pretty speedy!

5 more cold, snowy miles for me this afternoon to take me to 75 for November and 820 YTD.
  • Options
    Full marks to everyone whose ventured outside in the last few days. 

Nell: Quite simply, that sounds hard, a special well done.

Andrew: The training suggestion appeals to me, I go jogging, sometimes on a treadmill and sometimes outside, methinks I need to get smarter to improve.

Nick: I'm admiring your work, 7:30 pm is aspirational stuff

Since last posting 4,5 and 5 on the treadmill, well, its been cold.

YTD: 910.2 (90.5 for November). With normal working weeks plus Christmas week, I should be ok, but it might go to NYE!

• Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Nothing to report from me, got injured at Stebbing 10M early Nov, pulled up with a calf strain at 1 mile, not run a step since, so think my total for 2017 is whatever it was, and will stay there.

On that note a quick heads-up, although I'm sure not many of you are as daft as me - before you try and update your OS do a backup. I didn't and High Sierra OS crashed my MacAir and wiped it clean.  :'(

Took me two days and a lot of troubles (not easy being an old computer illiterate git sometimes) to get it all back, but only at the point of my last backup, July, hence no idea where my mileage got up to!

So, beware of High Sierra if you've got a Mac.
  • Options
    Evening all,

A fairly easy week for me as it has been hectic at home with the kids!

Nell, just to mimic everyone else, that was a pretty impressive training session.
    Andrew, well done some very consistent running.
    Nick, what a great pace you have, l normally train around the 8 minute mark as a rule, hopefully 7.5 one day!
    Senidm, hope the leg soon feels better, and you can get back out.

Stats for last week.

29.11.17 - 6.25
    30.11.17 - 6.25
    03.12.17 - 6.25

YTD = 1153.94

So, l have increased my training slightly and now do a 10k session as a minimum, l have also increased the number of reps l do when l am interval training, so far so good  :D

Well done everyone.
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Andrwe/Donnie - thanks, I feel like I am running well at the moment.

David - normally on club runs if I'm doing easy pace then I will go at 8:00-8:30 pace. There's certainly many faster than me though we all aspire to get quicker!
  • Options
    Hello all,
    Sorry I was busy organising races as well as trying to fit in my runs that meant no posting but this will definitely change now.
    Since my last posting on 25 November I have run the following:
    3 x 16.94
    2 x 13.71
    1 x7.10
    and a Parkrun
    making my
    YTD = 2800.75 Miles
    I have an Ultra and a marathon planned before Christmas - these should help me get the 199.25 miles I need for my target this year.
  • Options
    Since last posting its been 12.2 miles on the treadmill and my local park run - giving a YTD total of 925.5

I'm running the Bolsover 10k on Sunday, could be a cold one.
  • Options
    Nearly there Donnie!

5.5 miles for me tonight, up to 833.5 YTD 
  • Options
    Hello thousand-milers!

Andrew - I had intended to do base-building over the winter and then work on speed in the Spring ready for some fast stuff in the Summer... but that was before I signed up for the marathon. The marathon training yielded PBs at 10K and HM early in the year (Feb and March) - but I was unable to build on that during the Summer. I feel like my main issue lately has been too much racing and not enough time for training. I will take this in to account for 2018. Great efforts by you building up your mileage - especially in the snow!  :o

I certainly took it very easy on the runs to and from the track, Nick :smile: It really was an enjoyable session that I'm looking forward to doing again! Well done on the fast but easy effort run... sounds like you were maybe in the high aerobic zone (high end of easy)?

Cheers, Donnie. It wasn't as tough as it sounds... but I'm doing it again tomorrow so it might seem worse once the novelty has worn off. You're so close with the mileage now - I have faith that you'll get the thousand! Best of luck for Bolsover 10K.

Commiserations on the injury, senidM - hope it clears up in time for the festive season. We know from this thread that you had definitely done 1005.57 miles - oh, plus the mile before injury gives you at least 1006.57 miles :smiley:

WOW! That's some consistent training there, David - well done! Are you planning on aiming for more shorter races next year or will you be "marathon-ing" again next year?

Mammoth mileage for you as ever, Harmander. Hope your race organising went without a hitch as well. I take it the Ultra is your Dawn to Dusk race? Do you have a target mileage in mind?

Had a slight hiatus for me, for a week, as life managed to get in the way! Ran yesterday at lunchtime and at the track in the evening. A nice 5.17 miles with work colleagues that included a middle third at (my) tempo pace (it was probably just steady for them!) averaging about 7:20/mi. The first and final thirds were on trail so were significantly slower. Track reps. totalled 5.84 miles with w/u & c/d ... giving me a grand total for the day of 11.01 miles.

YTD: 1102.08 miles.

• Options
    Yes Nell,
    The minimum of 27 miles required for an Ultra
  • Options
    Nell - it is interesting that you refer to 7.20/mi being your tempo pace. That has been almost exactly my tempo pace for the past couple of months prior to the 10k pb, so if you can keep doing good tempo sessions (up to 3 or 4 mile blocks at tempo) as well as the usual long runs and intervals then sub45 should be within your grasp!
  • Options

I'm playing catch up here, sorry been away for a while.

Great to read all the stories of miles added & amazing times, not so good to hear of the injuries and ailments (best wishes all round).

Well done Nell on hitting 1100.

For me, I had Aberystwyth Charity 10k on Sunday managed a 41:59...happy with that. short recovery run on Monday, "Oh look a day off and it's decent weather" 11k run yesterday followed by "foul weather has filled in" club handicap race last night.

So 1172miles YTD for me.

• Options
    My planned outing at the Bolsover 10k on Sunday now looks likely to be a victim of the weather with the event site saying the event is in doubt. The forecast in that area is poor, cant see any prospect of it going ahead. Layers ready for tomorrows park run.

Well done to anyone outside this weekend. Keep warm. 

YTD: 933.6
  • Options
    5 miles Thursday and another 5.5 last night, so I’m up to 844 YTD now. 
  • Options
    Namaste fellow runners.

Harmander, is that an official definition of an ultra or just your target (that's a serious question I'm not being cheeky/sarcastic - I realise it might sound that way) ... I don't know the official stance on ultras?

Thanks for that info, Andrew... when I used to run on my own, sustained tempo runs were a staple session - but since I've joined the running club, on the night I would have done a continuous tempo run I now do intervals... granted some of them are longer sustained intervals at tempo pace, but I think that's another key factor in my drop off in performance. I need to look at my training schedule and see what I can do to move things around a bit.

Cheers, Hobie. Another good 10K for you there, and well done on following it up with an 11K and another race :smile:

Hope you managed to race today, Donnie - although I think you probably had more snow than us in the end.

Track night for me on Thursday - although, in deference to many of folks' concerns, I didn't run there and back this time. I scoped out a new route on Google maps that keeps me within civilisation for longer and I don't run alongside the river - but I haven't run it yet so I don't know how long it will take me to get there! Anyway... track session totalled 5.57 miles, inc. w/u & c/d. Today was my favourite event of the year: Tatton Yule Yomp 10K. It was excellent, as usual, and much less snow than originally predicted. It was cold with snow lying on the ground, which made it a bit tiring on the legs, but great fun nevertheless... giving me a total of 6.80 miles all in.

YTD: 1114.45 miles.

• Options
    Little Nell,
    According to 100 Marathon Club rules, the following definition is what they use (it is on their website).

Over 27 miles, no matter the surface or measurement method used and timed events'
  • Options
    I did 16.94 milestoday (n the snow). Yesterday I ran 24.60 miles (including Parkrun and the second half of the VLM course yesterday) making my
    YTD = 2859.24 miles
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

So, a strange week for me as we have been moving our office and workshop to a new location, and in the process I have managed to pull a muscle in my back, this has lead to a frustrating week as it is painful when I take a really deep intake of breath as you do occasionally when running.
    Therefore I have decided to DNS at my last planned marathon on Wednesday, as I just don't feel 100%, so I shall now concentrate on next year!

Nell, In answer to your question, I will be hopefully be doing mostly Marathon's next year, with an occasional half and maybe the odd Ultra?
    Hobie, Well done on the Aberystwyth 10K, cracking time.
    Harmander, As always some great running and mileage, good luck with the last couple of runs, keep us posted.

So last week:

06.12.17 - 5
    08.12.17 - 5

YTD = 1163.94

Hopefully back to normal training tomorrow, as it is now starting to ease - must be getting old!

Well done everyone, great work.
  • Options
    JAN:   243.7km
    FEB:   277.8km
    MAR:  319.6km. (Biggest month ever)
    APR: 214.3km (including new Marathon PB)
    MAY: 230.4km
    JUN: 235.4km
    JUL: 200.6km (including new Marathon PB)
    AUG: 243.0km (including PBs for 5km, 10km and Half Marathon)
    SEP: 372.8km (Biggest month ever - HUGE!)
    OCT: 136.3km (Another Marathon PB and BQ!!!!)
    NOV: 154.1km
    ============
    YTD (end of Nov):   2628.6km - Despite the early lead I may actually struggle to beat last years total 2726! 

Since end of Nov I've had a few days off sick and came back on Sunday for a 30km race that was supposed to be a gentle scenic run.

I was pacing 3hrs for the 30km event of the "Gold Coast 50 Running Festival" and despite the scenery and multitude of practically naked young bodies all around the beaches, it was very hard work in 30C+ and about 70% humidity. I managed to get home with a net time of 2:59:58.2 - so I'm pretty happy that I delivered on my brief. 

Slight confession though - I did misjudge the length of the course and instead of easing in with a minute or so to spare as planned, I realised with 300m to go that I'd left it a bit tight and needed to sprint over the line!!! (Nobody else from the 3hr bus earlier in the race was left with me by that stage - everyone had either powered forward, or wilted and dropped off).

.....Dreaming of running in nice cool snowy conditions instead of this horrible sub-tropical sweat box! Send me cool vibes for the next couple of weeks so I can finish the year off strong.
  • Options
    Since last signing in I've done a parkrun and three trips to the gym (5miles, 5 miles and 5 k)

YTD: 949.8

My Bolsover 10k last Sunday fell foul of the weather, but credit to North Derbyshire Running Club for offering deferred places until Dec 18 or a refund. 
  • Options
    Grrrr, I've been on leave from work Thursday & Friday, weather has been pretty good for a long run...& I've had a stinking cold that's gone to my chest so not risking a run.
    Running Club dinner tonight & I'll be on the soft drinks...alcohol won't help me.
    1194 miles YTD

• Options
    Not sure when I last updated, but I’ve done 5, 5 and 7 so far this week, so up to 861 YTD now.

900 for the year is still just about possible.