Options

Great Welsh Marathon Entry

Comments

• Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    What a cold..... that is so annoying :(:(  I hope you can make ypour race this weekend.

Well this week I have had an asthma attack brought on by hayfever!! it has taken 3 days for me to start to feel normal again! I usual get an attack in winter never summer!! but my eyes were streaming at 4am  this morning.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - they did say that pollen was exceptionally high due to the late Spring and everything flowering at once.  Hope you're better now and back running soon.

I've got rid of the cold but now have a sore throat and when RHR was back to normal tried a couple of short runs but I'm just not right, so this weekend's race looks doubtful now.

I see Great Welsh have announced their date for next year 14th April, that's the same day as Connemara and there's no contest so I'll be heading for Ireland again :)
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Gosh I somehow missed your post Shades!

That is a shame so hopefully I will see you in 2020? I have not entered I am going to check my IOW breaks first to see if they clash.

How is the races going and training?

I have still not run a race this year but I am toying with a 10k on 8th July as long as weather cools down!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - can't believe you haven't run a race yet this year, and you won't be doing one in this weather!

Missed more races, I did North Dorset marathon then got a cold and a week later came down with tonsillitis, at my age!!  That wiped me right out and I missed my next few marathons and an ultra.  But I'm well now and back training, 3 months to my 24 hour race so building up mileage, next marathon is in Tenby in a couple of weeks.

My next race is a 10k, haven't run a 10k for 8 years so that'll be interesting.  
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I know it is crazy I have not raced as yet- it looks like to 10k will be a no go with the heat. So that means my first race will be a 10k in September,maybe Bristol half, Cardiff half and GSR.

I am getting up really early to get out just after 4.30 am to run mind you I need a nap:-)

I can not believe you have had such rotten luck with your races so far this year! But good news you are back fully fit and getting ready to race again. Tenby will be a good one I just hope it is not too hot for you. The 24 hour race sounds amazing and similar time frame for my batch of races.

Ooh that 10k will hurt compared to marathons they are so short and fast .I hope it all goes well:-) but you and a 10k seems wrong somehow :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - you should be OK to do a 10km in July, heat is not such an issue in short races.

I've run Tenby in 31degrees before and survived, we got savaged by horseflies that year, really painful when they bite.

Yes, me and short races just doesn't seem right, but I must make an effort and enter some more shorter races.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Sadly Shades it is for me I can not walk in the heat at 9am so it looks like a none starter for me.

I hope Tenby is less hot this year for you and no bites from Welsh creatures.

Good Luck on  10k is it next Sunday?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - shame you can't acclimatise to the heat.  But usually we don't have that much of it here so hopefully we'll soon be back to normal British summer weather .

We had rain here yesterday, it was lovely

10km is on Thursday night, it's going to be hot and humid and hilly, 574 feet of climb, that's quite a lot for a 10km! :'(
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    How was the 10k? That is a lot of climbing for a 10k!

Good luck for Sunday it looks like it will be around 21/22 degrees.How are you feeling about race and training?

I long for rain they keep threatening but it has not happened as yet! it is so humid and hot and sleeping is difficult.

In other news I have organised logistics for a 10k race so my first race will be Cardiff 10k 2nd September:-) Train arrives in Cardiff 9.10am race starts 10am so with a dash to start,bag drop off toilet and a short warm up doable:-)

Running has been awful this week legs so heavy oh well it can only get better!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - I loved the 10km race, I think I was so race hungry having missed so many of my races this year.   It was 28 degrees when I drove there and it was hot during the race but we had some shade and a breeze now and then.   Wasn't worried about the heat for a short distance and nobody needed first aid.  Lovely route, but tough course.   Have now entered another 10km in a couple of weeks.

I'm so looking forward to Tenby, training has gone quite well so will be good to see where I am at this point.   I'm hoping the 21/22 will feel quite cool!

We've got a little rain forecast today and tomorrow, hope it happens. Feels fresher today but still very warm inside, not good for sleeping

Re your 10km logistics, that's cutting it fine, hope the train is on time.   
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    It looks to me like you love the 10k :D:) especially with entering another one:-)

I hope it all goes well for Tenby should be a great day and good crowd support as always/

We were to have rain last night it by passed us so no rain :( it is so muggy and warm 26 degree in the house and that is not upstairs as it is like an oven up there!

I agree I am cutting it fine but no other choice luckily a chipped race so even if I am last person across start line I should be okay fingers crossed!!
    it is like a practice run for the Cardiff Half in October.I need to decide if I run Bristol otherwise only one half this year! 
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    We're hoping for rain today, nothing yet :( 

I've pencilled in Chippenham Half on 9th September, is that too far for you to travel?
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    No rain here either;-( I keep praying for run but no luck!

I shall pencil Chippenham for next year as I think I maybe on the Isle of Wight this year.

How was Tenby for you?

I fell again on Sunday and same lane  I fell last month so as it is uneven,bricks,stone tree roots I have decided it is a no go for me. Luckily this time although grazed battered and bruised my ribs are okay, so although I ran yesterday it was short and very slow  today how ever was better and longer run.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch to your fall, you must be more careful, but it's so easily done.

Tenby was brilliant, really is a fantastic race and the best race finish I've ever experienced.   It was hot so eased right back on pace and just decided to get round in one piece and enjoy the day.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Far too easy we have to be so careful but all fine again thank goodness .

That sounds ideal with the heat to just get around it must be amazing finishing on the red carpet.I would love to do the Tenby Half if only it was September and not July;-) I am so glad you had a good experience I would love to go just for to support as sounds an amazing experience.

So what do you have next? No niggles after the marathon?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've done Tenby six times but we've only had hot weather twice.   Maybe you should just take a chance on the weather and enter.   Even if it's warmish it's done on closed roads so you could just enjoy the views and take it easy to the finish.

I have another local 10k on Thursday.  I've recovered fully from my marathon
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Maybe one year where they can promise a normal July  ie cold and overcast:-)

Ooh another 10k you are keen well done:-)

6 weeks for my first race a 10k:-) boy it was hot last night hardly any sleep  but I have to get up early to run whilst cooler.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Well the other race they put on is as expected on a date I will be on the IOW but not this one so will enter by end of August for early Bird offer.Shame you won't be there again this year.

How did your 10k go ? Did you enter Chippenham after all?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Shame about the date clash, happens such a lot with races now.

10k went well but was only 40 seconds faster than the last 10k as this one was very hilly too, 550 feet of climb.   I enjoyed it though.

Yes, have entered Chippenham, will be first half this year.
  • Options
    I know it is a fine juggling act and such a shame but I would rather have my 5 days training  holiday:-)

You seem to pick hilly 10k's but  at least you were faster than previous one:-)

Good luck for Chippenham you can tell me all about it.

So what is next for you?

My Achilles has flared up so I am being careful with it lots of calf and shin stretches especially as my good Achilles is grumbling as well.But Last month only 1 rest day and a big mileage for me 237miles.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That's not good news about your achilles, you had a very long injury time with that problem before didn't you.

That's a very good mileage for last month.

Next is Forest of Dean marathon on Sunday, I don't do trail marathons and hate off road but this event was substituted by the race organisers when they weren't able to get their road route sorted with the council in Gloucester. 
  • Options
    9 years but this is just a flare up rather than the rupture which caused the time out with no running.I had a day off  as feeling not well and hope the rest does it good it maybe I have to have a rest day every 14 day even if I don't want it.It was my best month this year just wish I could have more month's like that.

Ah I thought you were like me unable to run trail races I know my achilles hates off road.I hope you get on well tomorrow and come away with no niggles best of luck!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    How was your races Shades?

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - hope the achilles has settled down.

Forest of Dean was a lovely event, beautiful part of the country.  But the course is not for me, fire breaks which were so dry they were very hard on the feet, some steep cambers too in places.   Wasn't as flat as we thought, 1430ft of climb.  14 years since my last off road marathon and I just didn't enjoy the running surface, so walked a lot of it, finished in 5:53.   

Back on my beloved tarmac on Sunday at the Isle of Man marathon and although it was very humid I was very pleased with 4:57 finish time, season's best for me.    Now I am going to train for my highest mileage of the year over the next 2 weeks, so hoping to stay injury free :/
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am sorry to hear about trail race but at least you know not to run another .A hard lesson running a marathon which you hate the terrain so well done.

Well done on IOM sounds like a favourite I have always fancied the half. Good luck on next 2 weeks training.

You know how bad my year has been I could not make this up. I was running later than I liked last Wednesday van parked on pavements which is uneven  I go down hard so hard I can't run on foot walked 2.5 miles home. Very painful but do all the usual rest elevate etc but although black and blue and swollen it felt painful. Off to A+E last night upshot broken foot and boot on for 6+ weeks my 4 races are a no go! to say I am gutted is understatement.2019 has to be a better year that's for sure.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - Oh no, that's awful, so very sorry to hear that.  You really have been so unlucky this year.   Shame about your planned races too.
  • Options
    Thanks Shades 41 days to go till I can take boot off.I just want the  time to go quickly but have a feeling it will drag.Only bonus is the heat wave has gone thank goodness.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Still warm down here but lower temperatures so it's bearable.

The time will go quickly, use it to do/plan all the stuff you never get time to do as you're always running :)
  • Options
    Sadly very difficult to do things with boot on.But planning next  year awaiting the new dairies to come out.I am reading and knitting although not at same time :)

Great weather to run 12 degrees at 5am.

I have started some core work and hand weights just enough  about a total of 20 minutes.

When is next race for you?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You could always buy a school diary!  Or put it on a spreadsheet.

Not much more you can do while you have the boot on, but the time will soon pass.

I have Plym Trail marathon on 26th August, it's called trail as it's an old railway line but it's 95% tarmac.   Then the RAOK 30 miler in Llanelli on 1st September, run on a lot of the same route as the Great Welsh.