Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Dave: I am glad things are progressing for you and your knee. :)
    How are you and your mum?

I think it was the HR and also trusting the ankle even if still gingerly running but today 4.5 miles this morning instead of turn left I turned right.Path was flooded in parts as river burst it's bank.Average HR 144 but my balance is spot on 50:50. :)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Torque: I am sorry to hear that as things were going so well.Have your levels dropped?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Goodness me a lot higher than our lower levels!!

I did actually mean your thyroid :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    This may have put me off!!

welshpoppy
    good going- looks like you had similar weather to us

yup I thinks levels have dropped somehow will see from results later this week hopefully - or it may have been after the bloods were taken
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hope the lack of "vim" is temporary, TS  . .  

WP - good going!   look after that ankle/achilles, though  . . .     

Mum (tks for asking, WP) - still in care home;  unsure yet whether she'll be able to return (but "gut feeling" , given her age, is probably not). 
    Was able to visit yesterday (that was my 2 mile walk) :)  Looks better physically, as I would expect but still elements of confusion, but no diagnosis yet on this issue.  Mobility not brilliant. 

Dave
  • Options
    Dave
    will you be able to visit your Mum during lockdown?  There was a case that suggested you would be able to https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/03/judge-says-care-home-residents-in-england-are-legally-allowed-visitors

....  but it is such a difficult area to decide upon.

I need Vimto :)

I hadn't realised but in the second photo one can see the footpath marker on the far side of the river - it is actually in the river!
    Apparently the level has dropped - it was over the bridge yesterday

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks for that link, TS .  Hope to continue visiting - the setup is such that unless Govt explicitly forbids (and the article casts doubt on the legality of this), then should be ok.
    No entry to the home is required - visitors enter the rear garden area via a locked gate (access code provided), then enter a small annexe, built onto the rear lounge, so, sealed off completely - resident in lounge, visitor in annexe, separated by glass. The small annexe is sanitised after each visit.  

ah, Vimto - not had that for years !    
  • Options

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Just put the kettle on! Vimto has been my post run go to drink for many a year. The company are not far from here and at one time they had a connection with my club: if I remember the Nicholls family who own Vimto used to send their children down.

Hope the Vimto does the trick, TS! Or whatever the issue is is soon put right.

At least mum is nearby, Birch. In what sound like similar circumstances mine was nearly a 100 miles away which made things even harder. Not an easy time for you. 5 miles sounds good!

25 minutes today, the longest since before my biopsy. Not rushing things. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Looks a little damp underfoot especially on the wooden fence, it's all green.

Dave,
    It must be very stressful for your mum, already confused and not well, to be hit with all these weird restrictions, but I am sure your attentions make a big difference to her.
    Isn't vim something you scrub pots and pans with?

WP,
    Jealous of your gait balance. Mine only seems to fall into line when I pick up the pace as shown in today's run. I picked it up over the last k and it was on target but for most of the run with a shortened stride, it was way off.

Despite being a bit nippy I enjoyed today's 8k
    2020-11-03T16:53:49ZS Easy
    Run Summary
     Comments - CBW, uncomfortable at first but ok after a couple of k
     Weather data Merrickville , Conditions - overcast clouds
      Mean Temp =   0c,  Min Temp =   0c,  Max Temp =   0c  Humidity = 5%
      Mean Wind Speed = 3.1 kph,  Mean Wind Direction = 330
      Run Duration = 52:33,   Run Length = 7.97 Kms or 4.95 Miles
     Average  Run Pace = 06:35 per Km or 10:36 per Mile, Age grade =  58.3 %
     Average WHR = 74.7 %,  Max WHR = 91.8 %

Run Gait Analysis
     Average  Run Cadence = 83.4, Average stride length = 0.91 m
     Avg Vert Osc = 5.8 cms, Avg Vert Ratio =  6.2%, Avg GCT = 315 ms
     Avg GCT % = 43.8%, Avg GCT Balance = L51.3% / R48.7%
     GCT Balance in good range as a % of the total trackpoints = 23.2%

Hill Climb Summary using corrected elevation
     Number of hills found longer than 50m and > 2.0 % gradient =  2
     Total  Run Climb Elevation = 39.2 m, Max Elevation Difference = 16.0 m
     Longest Climb Gradient = 4.4 %, Climb Length = 340.0 m, Distance From Start = 3.8 kms
     Steepest Climb Gradient = 4.4 %, Climb Length = 340.0 m, Distance From Start = 3.8 kms

Lap Detail
      Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:51     1.0        0.6      06:51      11:02      59.0%     67.2%      83.0       0.88
    #02     06:36     1.0        0.6      06:36      10:37      67.9%     72.4%      83.0       0.91
    #03     06:47     1.0        0.6      06:47      10:55      68.7%     74.6%      82.0       0.90
    #04     06:51     1.0        0.6      06:51      11:01      73.1%     78.4%      82.0       0.89
    #05     06:35     1.0        0.6      06:35      10:35      79.9%     83.6%      84.0       0.90
    #06     06:32     1.0        0.6      06:32      10:31      80.6%     87.3%      84.0       0.91
    #07     06:36     1.0        0.6      06:36      10:38      82.1%     88.1%      83.0       0.91
    #08     05:45     1.0        0.6      05:55      09:31      86.6%     91.8%      86.0       0.98

Running Dynamics by Lap
    Lap    Avg Vert Osc     Avg Vert Ratio     Avg GCT       Avg GCT%           Avg GCT balance 
    01          5.5 cms               6.2%               327 ms            45.3%           L 52.3% / R 47.7%
    02          5.8 cms               6.2%               321 ms            44.3%           L 52.2% / R 47.8%
    03          5.8 cms               6.2%               321 ms            44.2%           L 52.1% / R 47.9%
    04          5.6 cms               6.1%               321 ms            44.1%           L 51.5% / R 48.5%
    05          5.9 cms               6.4%               314 ms            43.7%           L 50.8% / R 49.2%
    06          5.8 cms               6.1%               311 ms            43.4%           L 50.8% / R 49.2%
    07          5.9 cms               6.3%               313 ms            43.3%           L 50.9% / R 49.1%
    08          6.2 cms               6.2%               288 ms            41.5%           L 49.4% / R 50.6%

MIck
  • Options
    didn't know they still made Vimto!
    Mentioned it on a Zoom Hash call last night and was told it's the favourite drink in .................  Saudi Arabia!!
    I was mocked for wimping out of the trail  :/

Mick
    nice to explore your new neighbourhood with a longer run.  The neighbours will be wondering who that ol' git is  :)
    having said that we could both run for president of the USA - literally and age wise!

Sensible hat on this morning - didn't even attempt a run despite it being  a lovely dawn with the first frost on the ground

• Options
    I have never tasted Vimto!

But due to this thread on my walk to village I got some....Vimto well it was on offer :) Not been brave to try it as yet will save it for late afternoon.

Having a rest day today as well It was -1 and I decided to go back to bed.I do have sore throat  :)

Mick: But you try to get your ratio better:-) I expected mine to be off with knee and ankles.Vim used to clean bath and sinks when I was little!

Dave: It is so hard for you and Mum with all the restrictions never mind her health.She is very lucky to have you :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Car was well and truly frozen this morning prior to work. Short run after. And Vim is definitely not to be confused with Vimto! Yes, Vim was also used when I was young for bath cleaning...and also quite good for arrows on courses! 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    finally got out for my scheduled 3 miles at 5pm - dark, so a route busy with pedestrians and junctions - served me right for getting sidetracked with US election coverage . . . .     
    still, its done and in the diary.

did the Vimto soothe your sore throat, WP?    

Dave
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    on the hard stuff now :) ?

Dave
    just as well you didn't wait for a decisive position in the election before running!

Lots of folk out yesterday - it was like the Saturday before Xmas!!

Ventured out this morning as it was crisp and dry - bit of a mistake as I struggled round 2 miles
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear you struggled, TS - let's hope tomorrow is better . . .   

you are correct re the election - but I did get out in daylight today - 6.3 hilly miles. Flat opening mile & then 0.25 mile hill, I felt really lacking in energy, and almost light headed. Tempted to turn back, but continued, after a couple of mins rest at the top of the hill, and gradually recovered some equilibrium!   So that's 11 days of sticking to my schedule :)   

Dave
  • Options
    Dave: Well done on sticking to schedule :) yes Vimto worked ,,,,,

Torue: Sorry to hear you are still struggling .I hope it resolves itself soon for you.

5.25 miles for me....pleased with that.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good stuff, WP - I'm pleased you're pleased !   
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Not good but there is always tomorrow.

I ran a virtual prediction run today. It is an annual event so I thought I should do it as I have done it for a number of years and it is organised by a friend of mine.
    It's 5k and I didn't really want to race so I decided on a cruise pace, 30:50.
    I ran a warm up k and then 5k and then a 1k cool down.

2020-11-05T17:21:56ZS Tempo
    Run Summary
     Comments - CBW, Fox and Hound virtual run, prediction 30:50
     Weather data Merrickville , Conditions - clear sky
      Mean Temp =  19c,  Min Temp =  19c,  Max Temp =  20c  Humidity = 4%
      Mean Wind Speed = 6.2 kph,  Mean Wind Direction = 23
      Run Duration = 42:29,   Run Length = 6.80 Kms or 4.23 Miles
     Average  Run Pace = 06:15 per Km or 10:03 per Mile, Age grade =  60.8 %
     Average WHR = 79.2 %,  Max WHR = 89.6 %

Run Gait Analysis
     Average  Run Cadence = 84.1, Average stride length = 0.95 m
     Avg Vert Osc = 6.3 cms, Avg Vert Ratio =  6.5%, Avg GCT = 290 ms
     Avg GCT % = 40.8%, Avg GCT Balance = L50.3% / R49.7%
     GCT Balance in good range as a % of the total trackpoints = 68.9%

Lap Detail
      Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:57     1.0        0.6      06:57      11:11      58.2%     64.2%      82.0       0.88
    #02     05:59     1.0        0.6      05:59      09:38      73.1%     79.9%      86.0       0.97
    #03     06:06     1.0        0.6      06:06      09:49      82.1%     85.8%      85.0       0.96
    #04     06:03     1.0        0.6      06:03      09:45      85.1%     89.6%      84.0       0.98
    #05     06:04     1.0        0.6      06:04      09:47      85.1%     88.8%      84.0       0.98
    #06     06:16     1.0        0.6      06:16      10:05      87.3%     89.6%      84.0       0.95
    #07     05:03     0.8        0.5      06:18      10:09      84.3%     88.8%      84.0       0.94

Running Dynamics by Lap
    Lap    Avg Vert Osc     Avg Vert Ratio     Avg GCT       Avg GCT%           Avg GCT balance 
    01          5.9 cms               6.8%               314 ms            43.4%           L 51.3% / R 48.8%
    02          6.4 cms               6.4%               281 ms            40.3%           L 50.3% / R 49.7%
    03          6.5 cms               6.5%               279 ms            39.8%           L 50.2% / R 49.8%
    04          6.6 cms               6.5%               281 ms            39.7%           L 49.9% / R 50.1%
    05          6.5 cms               6.4%               286 ms            40.4%           L 49.9% / R 50.1%
    06          6.3 cms               6.5%               287 ms            40.5%           L 50.0% / R 50.0%
    07          6.1 cms               6.3%               295 ms            41.3%           L 50.4% / R 49.6%

My 5k time was 30:29 so I was 20s too fast. I had a hard time judging pace as I was battling a gusty wind.

WP,
    My GCT balance was  L50.3% / R49.7%, so much better at a faster pace.

Mick

• Options
    Mick: Well done on your solo race and faster than you thought .Excellent work on your GCT balance :)

Another 5.25 mile run all done will look to extend the run Sunday but all looking good.I also walk 3/4 mile to start still not brave for that steep downhill :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nicely cruised, Mick

encouraging run, WP - and wise re the downhill!   

rest day today - took the car for its service & MOT, so a 2 mile walk back, then repeat walk to collect.   

Dave
  • Options
    Dave: hope car was not too expensive and well done on walk.

I am still walking the downhill to rugby club but extending run to 5.75 miles so I may make 6 miles tomorrow;-)

In other news we won the lottery on Wednesday night........a whole £130 :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    not too bad, WP - don't need to request a share of your windfall !  ;)    new running shoes for you, maybe ?

nicely run; hope you make the half-dozen tomorrow . . .

just a 2.8 mile trot here; longer one planned tomorrow 

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    If I remember correctly MOTs always found something, a nice earner for the garages.

WP,
    Winning a lottery, ah the luck of the Welsh or is that the Irish, maybe I have been gone too long.

I decided to explore the trails today, 8.5k through the woods. It was very technical, with lots of rocks and roots. I had to keep my eyes focused on the ground in front of me and had no chance to look at the scenery. Very slow but enjoyable.
    I was a little shocked to see that hunting was permitted and a completely open season for coyotes and foxes. I have heard a few gunshots so I think next time I will be wearing the luminous yellow t-shirt I got from a race in the UK.

Mick
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    keep the champagne on ice until I get there :)
    even better news on the increase in distance

Dave
    good going to get over the sticky patch - I know all about those

alehouse
    steady does it 

Mick
    you obviously made it too easy on yourself :)
    Your woods area dangerous place!  what about your dog - coyotes and foxes sound just the sort of critters to pick on small dogs?

Well I missed out on tomorrow and the next day but ventured out this morning in extreme mist/foggy conditions - visibility about 15m

The first mile felt as though I was on Bambi legs but gradually gained some fluidity as my hips and knees freed up.. Ended up with 4 miles in 39:37 (9:54m/m) - HR an impossible av164 and a max of 173!

10:35
    09:34
    09:35
    09:54

still felt a bit rough.

My Garmin strap keeper snapped on Thursday so I sent off for a new one £3 +£5 postage!!  so I ordered 2 to average the postage cost down.

On emptying my pockets the next day I found the snapped off bit of plastic, applied superglue to the ends and glued it all back together again!!
    Anyone want a Garmin watch strap keeper :)?
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I'd have no chance of staying upright on that terrain, Mick - I envy your balance and agility  . . .   

TS - you may have still felt slightly "off", but appears you nicely got into things after that opening mile - well done. 

how is the post-procedure running going, alehouse?  

very misty (foggy, even), here at 07:45 when I set off to drive (very carefully) to the lake, where I accomplished 3 laps + a bit extra to record 9.5 miles. Mist over the water meant the unseen fowls' cries echoed eerily . . .  plenty of runners and walkers, though - all adhering to the 1+1 rule; distancing too.    26.5 miles for the week.   

Dave
  • Options
    Dave: That is a lot of miles for the week well done :) But i thought you were having a cut back week? well done on  9+ miles.

Torque:That was way too high Heartrate for you? but nice miles.

Mick: It is the luck of the Irish and I have Irish in my blood 3/4 Welsh 1/4 Irish;-).Blimey be careful with hunting season!

Today was to run the route that caused my fall the hills.So gingerly ran this route as lots of hazards with leaves, twigs , acorns, pot holes etc.Happy to report 6.20 miles slow but average HR 140.....my week finished yesterday 27.95 miles.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Yes, well done on a decent week, Birch!
    And that is also all sounds good, WP.

TS
    : you would have taken today's figures a couple of days ago! 

Mick: local trails sound "interesting". 

Still not quite right here post biopsy and being very cautious. Ran about 50 minutes yesterday, off road, and around half an hour today. Hip still slightly sore but I imagine that is to be expected when it has been drilled into! 26k for the week.
  • Options
    Dave
    fog does funny things to sound.  I could quite clearly hear two people taking about 60m in front of me - nothing interesting though!
    A good mornings' work there and above marathon distance for the week - now don't look back and think................... :)

Welshpoppy
    I may have got some superglue on the optical scan - it's the only way my HR could get that high!!  Even now its still showing 78bpm with me sitting down and its normally about 48!
    Good week for you as well and yes underfoot is a mess just now - slushy leaves hiding all sorts of holes and debris
    Could be worse - you could be getting shot at :/ !!

alehouse
    not surprised you are still proceeding gingerly but 50 min was a big step up off road which gives some eccentric loading to contend with as well

I am just pleased to be able to move again!!

Fog has not lifted here all day.  Pleased I had leaf blown and gathered up yesterday otherwise they would have been a sodden mess today