Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that lemon drizzle cake seems like rocket fuel, TS!  

I like the sound of the students run, alehouse - good work !    

hummed and hawed all day here (partly due to not knowing weekend run plans), but just in from 4.75.  Walked a mile to begin with, then first couple of run miles on road felt laboured, but I seemed to grow into it, with a couple of trail & grass miles to follow, with couple of road hills to finish.  Best get showered now :) 

Dave
  • Options
    Alehouse - good that you could keep up with them - take it easy now!

Torque Steer - enjoy your cake - we run for cake don't we!

Welsh Poppy - good to get out to clear the head - that is why I walk most days - happy to be out.

Birch - you have a lot going on at the moment - take it quietly.

I'm good for giving out advice but not taking it! I'm paying for my two hard runs back to back last weekend. I have only beeen able to walk all week, but as a new Parkrun was happening today - Owairaka Parkrun - starts just near Lydiard's old house, I had to run. I have a very sore hamstring - ran 28.22 AG77.20% Will definitely be walking tomorrow.
  • Options
    Yesterday 6 mile run slow but second 6 miler this week and this morning a 7 miler I have to go back to june to find my last one! 33 miles for the week-Yay

Dave: Great going you are doing fab under trying circumstances :)

NZC:Well done on parkrun and off course you had to run it well done:-) watch that hamstring!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well done, NZC! Will you stick to the new parkrun or Cornwall? Or alternate! I note that one of my friends was 39th today! He is originally from Yorkshire and is probably the only person in NZ who has a blue 500 parkrun t-shirt. Used to be on the forums as PRF: parkrunfan.

Sounds better, WP: just don't rush things!

Short run later before the rain comes.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that's another splendid AG, NZC :)  

WP - excellent work - but heed alehouse's advice :)   

not always easy, though - as NZC said - we can all be better at giving advice than adhering to it!  

like alehouse, I intend a short outing soon . . .   

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Still hopelessly bogged down with moving and settling in. I didn't realise how many toilet roll holders, towels rails and hooks, pictures, beds, desks, etc have to be put back together or hung. No, I did not forget the internet, even had it in place before we moved. No chance to run as yet but hopefully I will be back to some kind of normal on Monday. Got to go I hear another toilet roll holder calling my name.
    Mick
  • Options
    Sounds stressful, Mick! Hope to hear of a run soon!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Poor Mick - it will be all worth it in the end!

Birch - I love jokes that I can actually get!

Welsh Poppy - good mileage.

Alehouse - 500 Parkruns! Wow! I'm not sure whether I will continue to run at Owairaka. Cornwall Park kind of suits me as it has more grass in it, so not so hard on the legs - Owairaka is on a concrete pathway built for walkers and cyclists - so no give in it. It also includes one big overbridge to the motorway. I am a life member of Owairaka so I had to run the first one!

I just had a quiet walk with my husband, son and dog George this morning. It was all about the cafe afterwards.
  • Options
    Poor poor Mick a total nightmare moving and I have not done it for 26 years!

Birch: That is brilliant :) I hope you had a good run?

Ale:Did you miss the rain?

NZC: The cake stop sound lovely sorry cafe;-)

Another 7.25 miles this morning and missed the thunder and rain and faster.I felt the pace garmin suggested for past few days totally wrong so looked at satelites and have the option of 3 and was using 1 so opted for 2 and amazing the pace was faster by 7 minutes!
    I am watchful but all feels good,RHR is low and no tiredness.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick
    housebuilders only do the easy bits!!

You have too many bathrooms - a problem I share with you.
    Just wait until higher powers decide that things aren't quite right and need re arranging :)

NZC
    cracking time again.  Thought they could have called it the Lydiard parkrun in memory of him.
    Walk and cafe sound quite appealing

Welshpoppy
    good to her you are back to a more normal base.  The satellites give a better fix on position and the more the better the fix 

Dave
    no rocket fuel - just a "good" day in terms of meds etc I fear

I was pleased to miss out on yesterday's weather as it poured down here nearly all day.

A new Hash trail was posted which passed nearby so I went out this morning and ran to a cut trail point and ambled around in sunny blustery conditions for 3.75 miles and then added another 1.70 miles on for luck.
    Legs still felt the effects of Friday so it was very much a recovery effort although it was a hilly run
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    family time is good time, NZC :)  

all sounds encouraging, WP . . . .   well done avoiding the rain

. .  and you too, TS (yesterday) - and decent miles today 

lovely bright, sunny morn here - met "mentee" at 8:30 for nice flat 8 miles around the lakes.  Daughter and friends (including mentee's partner) were also there, running the opposite way round (at a much quicker pace)  🙄  , so could greet them each lap ! I took a flask  of coffee and a pack of these 
    Milk Chocolate Coated Caramel Wafer Biscuits by Tunnocks boxes of 48 x 30g so we all had a "distanced" replenishment in the car park (Tier 3 here now, so no cafe allowed).   Legs were ok with 8 miles (didn't run in the end yesterday)  -   knee still grumbled slightly on the drive back (but, as previously noted, at a lesser level), but main thing today was a lovely morning with chums and family member   :)    and . . .   a 20 mile week !  

Dave
  • Options
    Dave

8 miles!  what was that your were saying about taking advice :) ?

I like your choice of refreshment :). My youngest g'daughter delights is carefully extracting the biscuit from that wrapping, and then carefully refolding it so it looks intact and then offering it to me :)

I got an alehouse soaking this morning on my 4 miles in 40:55 (10:16m/m) with avHr 1214 and a max of only 136 as I eased round on slightly tired legs.
    Fortunately I had my Gortex jacket on - I had pondered at the doorway as it had stopped raining - very briefly as it turned out!  Yesterday was all golden sunshine through a glade of beech trees - today was squelching soaking leaves and deep puddles!!
  • Options
    All sounds good, Birch! Hope there is no reaction!

And take it easy, WP!

Yes, rather squelchy at present, TS! And probably will be for the rest or the year and beyond! Got some "on this day" photos from last year: floods. I think the current weather is working on emulating a year ago. 
    Having said that, yesterday's short and "easy" run was dry except for underfoot; today I did something similar and managed to avoid the rain: torrential before and after. And still. 

"easy" = that's what the pace said, rather than the legs; run preceded by around 4 hours of gardening, so that might have had something to do with it. 
  • Options
    Dave: Nice choice of biscuit:-) What a day for you BUT 8 miles ;) I hope no reaction to knee? 20 mile week that is good news.

Torque:Cheeky GD :) Well done on run,nice weather for ducks.

Ale:Well done on avoiding the rain! I am taking it easy see below.

I felt tired and  knew an easier day so 4.85 miles today at easy pace.I am running the Snowdonia virtual marathon I started Saturday and tomorrow I have just under 7 miles to finish:-)
    Then a Halloween 5k and Richard Burton 10k all virtual. and all money for local good causes.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well as things were going so well.......after 1.30 miles I twisted ankle in pot hole down with a clatter and limped back home with bleeding knee,and hand  and painful ankle.

I am hoping if I do all I can I can run at weekend and finish Snowdonia, 5k and 10k a tough ask really.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    oh dear, WP - what a shame - hope it isn't as bad as you fear, and you can finish the challenge . . . .
  • Options
    Welshpoppy
    ouch - I felt that!!
    Time for the frozen peas on the ankle and then getting your leg up. Sometimes a sharp twist can go off quite quickly  - hopefully so - the bloody bits can wait!

alehouse
    good timing for your squelchy run.  Gardening is hard work just now - lots of digging and lifting masses of leaves 

another rainy morning here, although it looked nice and bright at dawn, the rain soon seeped in.  Chilly too at 5C but I felt a bit briskish so ran the 4 miles in 38:11 (9:34m/m) with avHR 131 and a max of 147 owing to a bit of welly over the last 1/2 mile or so.

Red letter day insofar as all the miles started with a 9...........

9:56  125  135
    9:11  130  136
    9:26  132  137
    9:38  139  147

no one in sight this morning - not even the dog walkers - which shows how disgusting it was out

The lemon drizzle cake is finished for now until new supplies are baked so I am having to eke out an existence with heavy duty fruit cake :)

• Options
    Dave
    how are you after your 8 miler and refreshments?
  • Options
    Oh dear, WP! Hope you bounce back quickly, so to speak!

Yes, how are things, Birch?

Sounds decent this morning, TS!

Another short and easy run, although a little more bouncy today and the Garmin tells me that the last k was in 4:46, whilst I was over 7 minutes per k earlier in the run. Don't believe either, nor the over 140 bpm for the last k: nothing like! Anyway, stayed dry apart from the paddling! And remembered my waterproof socks. 
  • Options
    A quick drop in from me. Good to see that some solid running is occurring, although I don’t mean this to sound patronising. 
    Good news from this end is that the Achilles is on the mend, mainly through following TS advise on heal raises.
    So, back to slowish 9.30 mms 6 miles once a week and a quickish 3 miles @ 7.20 mm once a week.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    sprightly stuff, TS & JB - alehouse too, at least for the last K !  

no so here - but all ok, just residual heaviness in legs from Sunday, I think - even after rest day yesterday. (some lard to shift, too - so thoughts of cakes (and ale) must  be resisted :)  5K very steady this afternoon.     

Dave
  • Options
    John
    hello patron :)
    Good to hear that there is some improvement in the achilles. - doesn't seem to have slowed you down!

Dave
    go on - I can can resist everything - except temptation :)
    I have been having a completely dry October in an attempt to lose some of bulk  - results so far are nil pounds lost so it's not the booze to blame!!

alehouse
    waterproof socks??!!  Just doesn't sound right. Over here they are called wellies!

Very blustery morning here but some early sunshine got temperatures up to 6C although it felt colder with the wind chill

Same 4 miles with some wind assistance on the way out and a battle back in for 38:29 (9:38m/m) with avHR 130 and a max of 150 as wind and hill combined over the last mile

9:56  122  134
    9:12  129  136
    9:28  132  139
    9:54  138  150

Just proved that what is gained on the wind swing in miles 2 is more than lost on the wind roundabout in mile 4.

Still another okish run - might need some recovery tomorrow............

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    blustery here too, TS - but nice and bright.  6 miles with a chum, not seen him for a while, so good to have a catchup.  I did have a 54 day dry streak in June/July, but have lapsed recently 😳  
    good to see all your miles nicely below 10.00 . . 

how is the WP ankle ?   

Dave
  • Options
    Sounds good, Birch

And TS! I have to say that I was never interested in waterproof socks...until I got a pair. They don't actually keep the feet dry but do prevent that soggy and uncomfortable sock feeling. 

And you know you were saying be careful with my hips, TS? Well I'm having to be even more careful now: yesterday I had an investigative procedure that involved a biopsy of my left hip bone. I will save you the gory details but very painful and very technical. A black and decker drill was involved as well as a highly sophisticated scanner. As a consequence training is of course having to be backed right off, although I did just run one of the slowest kms that I have ever run. 
  • Options
    Dave
    that sounds like a nice outing :)
    Did your dry run result in any weight loss - or just remorse at all that drinking time lost?!
    I know - two days in a row - I must be doing something right - or else my training world is about to come crashing down!

alehouse
    that sounds a very nasty procedure indeed!!!  What are they looking for as it's not something that gets tried on everyone?
    I would have thought they could have gone up to a De Walt drill for such a procedure ;)
  • Options
    It may well have been a different make of drill, TS: had to take my contact lenses out so couldn't see properly! All a bit of a pain, perhaps the biggest being that the results will be two to three weeks. 
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, 
    People drilling into your bones, waterproof socks, now this is starting to get a bit weird. You will telling us next that you are going to run your next race wearing a tutu.
    TS,
    I think lemon drizzle may figure in the equation some where.

I got out for my first run at the new house. 6k at a comfortable pace. Lots to explore including a large nature reserve about a km from the house.
    I ran down to the village and ran by the locks. Not too many tourists around as it had been raining all morning.
    Still lots to do in the house but nothing that cant wait.
    My new toy has been delivered, a snowblower with all the bells and whistles, including hand grip warmers. Now this will take a great deal study before the snow comes. Much higher priority than hanging mirrors.
    Mick
  • Options
    Good to hear you are surving the move Mick and new toy is taking up your time rather than house stuff;-)

Ale: Are you sure you are one of us and not from another planet with drilling and those socks;-)

Dave: Thanks for asking  it is coming along nicely I walked 2.35 miles yesterday and 1 mile when banking a cheque in town.I am wiped out but all good.I am hoping to test run Friday or saturday depends if this horrid torrential rain goes through.
    Nice run with your chum looks like things are perking up with knee.

Torque: Speedy run must be the no booze October:-)

Off for a wet walk in a bit to finish Snowdonia I have 4 miles to go.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse

I don't think drilling bones will save much weight - but marginal gains and all that :)
    Come to think of it I did see ol' Arnie fixing himself up in Terminator  with an electric drill so maybe WP is on to something!

Mick
    now that sounds like a proper piece of kit :) 
    I hope you have plenty of use out of it because that will mean that weather systems have settled down a bit and we won't have the awful wet winter we had last year over here!!
    New neighbourhood sounds good - have you spotted any other runners around yet?

Welshpoppy
    good to see some improvement and keeping the joint mobile helps to prevent stiffness.
    Long time since I had to bank a cheque!

Still, damp morning here - and I got out, and back,  before the forecast heavy rain.
    Felt like hard work this morning not feeling 100% and so 4 miles in 39:07 (9:51m/m) with avHR128 and a max of 143.  Just managed to maintain the miles starting with a 9.........

9:58  123  138
    9:29  127  133
    9:56  126  134
    9:44  134  143

nearly stopped on mile 3 but managed to plod on...........