Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    TS, thanks for the tip. I've been doing the tennis ball thing but you've prompted me to do it NOW. So I am.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    TS: the winner of the half on Sunday, Chris Thompson, ran just over 64 minutes, so that is about 4:55 miling, or a fraction over 3 minutes per km. Not bad for an M40!

Just under an hour here yesterday after work, off road. Bit of a struggle, and this morning's 27 minutes was worse. 

Wordle in four.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I am back online and getting slowly sorted thank goodness.I have run every day and found a good route so yesterday 6.5 miles on cycle track which is about a mile and half from home.

Hope everyone is doing well?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, WP! Was wondering how things went!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    John
    enjoy :)!!
    you can buy a foam roller to assist - they are not as soft as they sound...
    I also used to pinch an alabaster ball my wife used for flower decoration - now that really did the trick :'(

WP
    good to hear you have settled in and found a new running route.
    One of the things I liked about going around the country, and indeed the wider world, was going out early morning and not knowing what I would find as a route - I have run stunning country and slumbering slums!!

alehouse
    yup - not bad for a M40  :)
    I would have been within 10 min of him at the same age - recall saying that to someone (a non runner) once and they responded by saying something like "oh that's quite close" and when I put it into distance - 2+ miles behind - they appreciated that it wasn't!!

I guess the time on feet had its cumulative effect on your runs - hope it wears off soon!!

Wordle also in four - quite a unique letter combo 

Hash tonight - off into the countryside!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    welcome back, WP . . .   

musical references good, TS !   

good hour's work, alehouse - and nicely backed up with half hour (near enough) - 

similar feeling to you here, though, this morn, as the legs really struggled to get moving on my 5 miler.  Was up at the rural loop, and was very windy, so arms and hands cold !  And uphill stretch into the wind in second mile didn't lessen the effort level required.  Relief when it was done :) 

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    47 minutes here this morning, not matching your distance, Birch. Hip was sore on yesterday's run; today it was the opposite hamstring! Need to stretch more! Rained for the second half of the run, and the wind was against the whole way. And should have worn gloves! 

Wordle... just!
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    You mean you didn't chose a good route and then look for a house near it.

Alehouse,
    Sub 5min miles for the half, a bit above my pay grade.

A totally gorgeous day today so a pleasant plod around one of my trails. I did managed to stay in front of a couple that were walking, I have to take my small wins wherever they come.

Mick
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Mick sadly not as Mr WP has  needs that needed addressing and my wishes was low down the list.

3.5 miles this morning in torrential rain.I am tired so right distance for moment.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dave
    I was driving over the Pennines intro a vey nasty wind and rain very early this morning - quite pleased I wasn't running in it - so bonus marks to you for getting out there.

Mick
    you mean they didn't have a zimmer frame  :)?
    good that the weather has changed for the better for you

WP
    well done !!

alehouse
    by the time I got to your side the rain had stopped - of which I was pleased!

Hash last night was lovely country and  riverside - beautiful night for running but I was completely knackered and completing the 5 miles required some walking
    I have developed quite an acute pain inboard of my left hip in the soft tissue/abdomen area. Don't know whether it is related to my knee problem in that I am overcompensating  and provoking an adverse reaction higher up or something else.
    When I got out of bed it was really painful but it has eased off a bit now

Wordle in six today!!
  • Options
    ..too much time spent driving yesterday :/
    When I got home I filled up my nearly empty tank - £102 worth of diesel!!!

No run today either - still got that abdominal pain though not so strong

I see the Convict wriggled out of his obligations after the Sue Gray report

Wordle in four today
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in five. 

40 minute off road, but quite firm underfoot after a day at the chalkface. I note that summer is here: 14 degrees, wet and windy. I trust it is better for the Roses T20 tomorrow evening, although I doubt that the temperature will be that high! Will be wearing my thermals!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Evening, Dry morning today so 4.75 miles was later going out so came across school kids and dog walkers but all good natured. Oh the price of fuel is crazy, diesel is what we use and cheapest is 173.8 around the corner from us.But it is 199 at a lot of garages. In other news going to first club session on Monday!! excited and nervous all in one.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    yup - it's expensive stuff just now :/
    Good news about your club excursion - it will make quite a difference to you to be running with others

alehouse
    you may double layers of thermals if the forecast is to be believed!!

I stepped out this morning for a short walk to see how my abs pain was progressing (it wasn't!) an it was decidedly chilly - I was pleased I had put a fleece on.

Wordle in three today - an appropriate word as well for this time :)

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    WP,
    Much cheaper here but as we have huge oil reserves I would hope so. Good luck with the group run.

TS,
    Is the ab pain an injury or something else?
    I hate the concept of a privileged elite class that is above the standards that govern the rest of us. It exists in the corporate world as well and as an exec I reacted harshly whenever I bumped into it. It did not make me popular but you can't take the council house kid out of the CEO no matter the fancy titles.

My doc is changing my allergy meds again so bad day yesterday, new med seems to be working today but I'll recover today and run tomorrow.

Still doing Wordle, 3 today 

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    5 miles steady this aft'n - very windy again on non-sheltered stretches.

Yesterday had a run planned, but erstwhile "marathon mentee" of pre-Covid time asked if I'd accompany her on a "jeffing" session, so 30 mins of walk/run ensued.  Was happy to oblige; she'd reached a good level (17 miles run), but now starting back at "Couch to 5K" level, as completely lost fitness, and gained fair bit of weight, over last couple of years. 

Exciting news re the club, WP !   

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    10.5k, much of it off road here: wanted a longer run if I could manage it. Was very pleased to pass through 10k in under 59 minutes: on Monday I could barely manage 9k in 57, on much the same course! And it was windier! Strange how some days are better than others for no particular reason; the first km was awful and I thought that I would never get going...and then I did!

Off to evening cricket shortly, armed with waterproofs, thermals etc. Currently 14 degrees and blustery to say the least. My seat is in front of the pavillion...where I will probably spend most of my time! Will Wordle before I go!

Club sounds interesting, WP!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    yes, alehouse, those runs are pleasing when things click unexpectedly into gear.  Honours even at Old Trafford I note - hope you stayed warm!  

Ran over to a less locally located parkrun this morning.  6 miles before & 1.5 after, so 10.5 in the diary, to keep up the Saturday double-digit sequence.  

Dave
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Thanks they seem friendly so should be fine they meet most week nights but I like morning running so just once a week for me.

6.5 miles this morning and it was warm.Cycle track then roads back to home a nice route.Highest mileage week since February and no rest day.

Dave Another great double digit run well done :) Sorry to hear about trainee but at least she is ready to start again.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrun sandwich, Birch!

Decent week, WP!

Cricket was chilly...and a tie was about right!

Just over half an hour today; easier day after yesterday's exertions. 

Wordle in 4.
  • Options
    Dave
    that was a good sandwich :)
    so, spill the beans - how did the thick crust before affect the parkrun time?

WP
    a good outing for you and some new contacts in the area -all good
    Mileage is creeping up :)

Mick
    we still have large reserves of oil and gas but that doesn't seem to affect the price here - market forces rule!!
    Hope the new meds work for you.

The world is full of them (the privileged ones!)  and there seems to be ever more as well. Add onto that the furore of minority pressure groups "outraged" by everything real and imagined and the dinosaurs are losing ground.

I have been having small stabs for a good few weeks now on an intermittent basis but it has got a lot worse over the past week .  It feels as though it should be muscular as it only occurs when I move the thigh but its not easing off much - if at all!

alehouse
    hope you have thawed out!

I am off to watch my g'daughter competing with her cocker spaniel in agility trials - and it's chilly out there - could be a long day!

Wordle in six today - only had two letters in the right place after five - saved by my knowledge of 60's pop music!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    the "agility trial" sounds interesting, TS - hope you and your granddaughter have a lovely day.   

not very agile here, but managed 7 miles this morn with chum - fairly hilly (and chilly at 8am) too.   

as you asked :)  parkrun official time 29:22 - so probably around 29:10, as I started at the back & proceeded to weave through the slower (even more so than me) runners.  Seem to be limited by legs rather than cardiovascularly. This one is a 3 lapper, with a hairpin turn at the far end of the lap, which means that as the run (not race)  ;)  unfolds, there are three lines of runners on this stretch - those approaching the u-turn, those who have turned and are coming back the other way, and  the front runners, who are lapping the field and zipping up the centre !  

Anyway, was pleased I'd done it - and caught up with a few clubmates, one of whom is attempting a BG round on July 1st . . . .   

had intended a walk home, but legs felt a bit mashed, so the bus pass came in handy :)  

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Decent weekend's training, Birch!

Quite chilly here, also: only about half an hour on tired legs, most of which I suspect is from sitting down marking for large parts of the day. Today's run took me over 100 miles for the month, which is one of my targets, and over 48k for the week.

Yes, I thawed out, TS, although being a sucker for punishment I had a further couple of hours at today's T20. Thermals underneath still, plus cap. About 14 degrees but felt cooler. 

Wordle was very strange today: a word that I have never heard of. Done and dusted in 5, by chance. 
  • Options
    Dave
    good going on a tight congested course!

super day out at the dog agility trials - apart from the squall that swept in across the N York Moors from the sea and which felt like sleet!

a first prize an two fourths were the rewards which were remarkable considering she and the dog are novices in their first year and are competing in open classes

alehouse
    i hope you missed my rain!!
    great target to hit - 👍 

as I said 60s pop music - Roy Orbison🙂
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGB9cvWdn04

wordle in three today - no musical references required
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    lovely pic, TS - congrats to the team !!

nice totals, alehouse - prompted a check of my diary, and pleased to say I'm over 100 too, with a day to go (today will be a rest day).  Seem to be managing some  c.c.   :)  
    Just wish I was quicker !!   

Dave 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    The speed will come back with the c.c., Birch

Wordle in 3 also: couldn't see any alternatives today. 

Just in from an easy (it wasn't) paced run with my M77 neighbour. Off road in the main, and in the main it was wet and 9 degrees. I have succumbed and put the heating on! 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Chilly again here - no heating on,  but long sleeves donned for 6 miles on tarmac (except final 0.5 on trail). Legs took couple of miles to get going, but then in alehouse style of the other day, clicked into gear, and, though still slow, felt more "fluid" somehow (or what passes for it these days), and felt I could have continued.  

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    might go over and spectate here tonight  
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Afternoon, Rest day today first one in 14 days.it coincided with club run last night 5 miles and I was with the faster group only the slowest one but had two runners run with me which was fab as one was Rob who I have seen and greeted when running.He is 78 and been running over 50 years and member of club from the beginning 40 years.So had lots of yarns to tell on the run.Henry who was my contact stayed to see how I got on and if I would be back;-)
    They run most days different groups etc but Monday suits me so will stick to Monday's I can come for 6 times before joining club.I said if after next week I still like it I will sign up.

Achilles was moaning on last mile and I was a little worried but as rest day today it is fine after a walk around Morries.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression