Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    WP
    that's a pity you missed the race on Monday but moving is stressful

Well I managed to turn the 2.2 miles into a continuous run this morning - if only just :/
    The time wasn't much different to the run/walk one but I did get congratulations from two dog walkers who were standing chatting as I got to the top of the big hill  :)

Wordle in five today and a real struggle as I had three letters but none in place and options were very limited!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well done getting out, WP - you've had a lot on your plate  . . .

TS - good continuous one; hope you basked in the admiration ! 

3 miles here, this afternoon - tired today after "Lads" lunch yesterday, which conveniently (or perhaps not) was at the pub round the corner, so me and my V65 clubmate continued the conviviality here for a while (there happened to be beer in my fridge). He departed at around 5pm . . 
    Shows the athletes amongst us have the stamina :)   

Dave
  • Options
    Dave
    good session - and the run was ok too :)

Pity the Owls didn't manage the draw last night but all to play for !

I have another tooth problem or rather an abscess on a tooth - painful and it kept me awake despite my best single malt being used as a rub on the gum - and some was swallowed as well.

Just as well it is a rest day...

Wordle in four - tough one from where I started
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thought I had posted a day or two ago...
    Wordle in 3 the last two days, but failed the day before. 
    Reflects the running, almost! Two poor 30+ minute runs yesterday and today, plus 20 minutes the day before. Very gentle as I just don't feel right, despite negative COVID tests. 

Hope the tooth problem is easily sorted, TS! Can't remember whether I said but my very first bite into a crispy baguette in France displaced a crown! Saw the dentist on Wednesday but he couldn't replace it, but did manage to create some sort of synthetic tooth. 

One goal down is fine, Birch

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Don't pass on any of the dental tribulations please !  

and hope the "malaise" is short lived, alehouse.  

Footy - relieved to still be in the tie, after a pretty lacklustre showing!  Be interesting to see how Man City react against your boys, TS, after their Champs League trauma!  

Felt a lot better today, after an AF day yesterday, and pleased to report & record a 12.5 miler - mainly flat & on tarmac, except for a couple of undulating miles on the grass alongside the tarmac as parkrun took place.  

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     . . .  and a 4 mile leg loosener this morning. Moving quite well, given yesterday, but  legs quickly tired in final mile.  
  • Options
    alehouse
    welcome to the tooth club :/
    French baguettes aren't what they used to be

There is a lot of "stuff" around just now, norovirus, colds etc as folk meet more often - take care

Dave
    excellent long run and back up as well today.

Yes - need Owls to do more!!

Could be interesting this afternoon - I suspect there are a lot of Liverpool supporters starting to root for the Toon

Wordle in four again today - just as well I have a Geordie background otherwise it may have slipped by!

No run today - couldn't face my tooth being jolted !!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I was surprised by the word in wordle today, TS. Also in four.

Just a short run again today: feeling a little off balance but only when running. Just 28k this week. 

Leg loosener sounds sensible, Birch, after yesterday.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    61 minutes largely off road with my M77 neighbour. Very slow and didn't feel quite right but far better than the last few days. Happy with that.

Perfect running morning: about 14 degrees with a slight breeze.

Wordle in four with four letters correct after two. 

• Options
    alehouse
    a very good outing after your recent off days >hour on feet good!

Wordle in three today after having four letters correct after two - only the second one to guess  :)

Trundled out this morning to similar weather to alehouse and continued my trundle for 2.2 miles.
    Sunshine must have affected folk as everyone spoke as I passed them - going in opposite directions I hasten to add!!

diabolical display by the Toon yesterday - equally bad at either end of the pitch and no better in the middle!!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning,

I have been keeping it together running wise I have run every day apart from this morning .I am too tired to even attempt a run but just means I am more focused for tomorrow.

TS Nice to see you running after Covid.

Dave: Nice long run:-)

Ale: 28k is a decent amount.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Dave
    oh dear..... :/!!

WP 
    good to see you out 

No Hash this evening as I have to be away  very early next morning for a trip to London - first time in over two years for a trip that I used to make at least twice a month for years.
    Opted for a slow trot put in very windy but sunny conditions

Wordle in four today - quite hard to get the fit with only one letter in the right place and only one other to work with after three.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - indeed so. However, despite the stoppage time "sucker punch", have to say that the Black Cats deserved it over the two legs - we didn't do enough.  Bring on Forest Green Rovers :)  

good to see you & WP back to it !  

Rest yesterday, will go later today - been bogged down all morning with British Gas -
    in brief; Mum's property sale completed March 11th.  Meter readings supplied, account in credit balance, so money owed to her; cheque received. Before I paid it in, a demand for final payment received. They'd calculated the credit balance incorrectly (!)  Was assured that all would be addressed, I'd receive a cheque for amended amount. This never arrived, but more demands for payment did,  the latest one, last week, with the threatening heavy black type mentioning debt collectors  . . .      fast forward to Friday last week;  a complaints advisor contacted me, advised that in compensation for the whole episode, and the time I'd spent in telephone queues and repeating myself to various advisors, I could now pay in the original cheque. Did so yesterday - something made me check my mother's account today -  . . .   the cheque had been rejected !!   Cue more time on phone & messaging this morn.   

Sorry to put this on a running forum (but it has stopped me going so far today) - just so frustrating !!!   

Dave
  • Options
    Dave
    don't be so magnanimous :)

you can talk about other things as well -and it's good to get matters like that off your chest.  One can only imagine the legal threats can have on those not so capable of pushing back against them :/

I have had a not dissimilar experience.  I recently booked up to take the entire immediate family (10 of us) away for a week in October.
    Booking completed, deposit paid etc - can't access the on-line booking site where one can do things like confirm seats, meals, get tickets (!) etc as I keep getting an error message that my surname and booking number don't match up!!
    Must have rung up seven times to try and get it sorted -  each time they say it is but I still can't access it.
    Finally resolved yesterday when it became apparent that, at their end, they had decided that my middle Christian name was a hyphenated part of my surname!!!
    I should have used Torque Steer!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I feel your annoyance, Birch! Hope it is all sorted without too much further aggravation! Running helps!

Have a good day in The Smoke, TS!

All packed, WP?

Not heard from Mick for a while!

Short run and long stretch yesterday. Waiting to go for my run at present: currently pouring and due to stay that way for most of the day according to some forecasts, although the BBC say it may dry up this pm. Don't really want to wait that long!

Wordle in four yesterday and today.
  • Options
    Hope the rain eased off  alehouse - it certainly didn't in London!!

Had to transfer trains on the way down as someone had stolen signaling cabling near P'boro and tracks were reduced to single file  and they were reducing capacity by cancelling some trains:/

Anyway must have sat for 30 min on the train home looking at Wordle after getting three letter sin the right place and not being able to see a fit.
    Finally popped into my head about 5 min from home station :/

Much the same today - had the middle three in four but just couldn't see a fit.
    Finally got it in five

2.25 miles of actual running this morning - felt rather better than of late doing it.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the article, TS! May provide inspiration at some point! And glad your run was better!
    Didn't enjoy Wordle today though...

Pleasant 75 minute run this morning, almost all off road, running well within myself. Have cut back on the quicker stuff as haven't been feeling great for ten days or so; today was fine but not going to push things for a day or two more. Up the kms instead!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Saw that Guardian piece earlier - my son shared it; maybe he's hinting I'm not doing enough  . . . .   

Encouraging to feel things improving, both !   

5 miles trundle this morn with chum; tarmac, but rural course.  Hard work to begin, but eased into the "flow" :) after a couple of miles.  Arms felt slightly cold in a T-shirt . . .

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Should have said...2 long sleeved tops, traksters, gloves. No hat though. And that sound an enjoyable outing, Birch! And judging by the article none of us are even doing half of what we should be!
  • Options
    alehouse
    yes it was decidedly chilly early on this morning - I went out, like Dave, with a short sleeved tee and rapidly made sure I stayed on the sunny side of the street!!

I had run out of letter combo's to match up with the middle three - and it's such an "ugly" word as well 

Dave
    definitely telling you something :)
    Disappointed that he was using the new "super shoes" though a regime of nearly 4,500 miles/year is hugely impressive.
    Obviously he hasn't been to the well of deep performance as many times as we have :)
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Hi All,
    it has been a complicated couple of weeks where I have not been running.
    It all seem to start after my second covid vaccination where my allergies went berserk and I ended up in emergency having difficulty getting my breath.
    It was all put down to allergies including the increased numbnes in my hands and feet and the ringing in my ears.
    My doc eventually found some med combination that got me feeling somewhat normal. I continued trying to run and exercise during this.
    Over this same period I noticed a marked increase in my resting HR and the fact that I would red line on the easiest of runs.
    Two weeks ago while running with the boys they showed concern that I was having trouble breathing even at a slow pace. When I got home I checked my HR profile and I had been redlining for the last 20 mins or so.
    I mentioned this to my doc and she scheduled me for a stress test and blood work.
    I decided to stop running until I had seen the cardiologist.
    I saw him this morning and he assured me that everything appears normal and I could resume running. He has referred me for further breathing tests, whatever they are.
    I raised the issue of a reaction to the covid shot expecting him to dismiss it but he did not. He took it very seriously.

it is super hot here 29c so I think I will start with a bike ride tomorrow and run the next day when it is supposed to be a lot cooler.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick
    take care out there!!
    that's a very nasty combination of circumstances and the extreme heat is another layer of complexity.

Time to move back to the UK from those foreign climes - mid-May and we are still debating how many layers to wear!

If its any comfort (it won't be!) it took me four weeks+ to get over Covid and today was the first time I actually felt ok when out running - it didn't last long but it was there....
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you Mick...but not about what you have been going through. The cardiologist's comments are reassuring. You may recall that I had something similar after my first COVID jab, albeit about60 hours after my prostate treatment. Lots of dizziness and walking with a stick for six weeks or so. Every test under the sun with the cardiologist being particularly reassuring. Never got to the bottom of it. Take it gradually getting back to things.

And I imagine that you are currently very happy with Spurs 3-0 up! 

Could do with a fair part of your 29 degrees. Got the 9 this morning and about half of 29 this pm!
  • Options
    alehouse
    yup - weird weather at the moment. Strong winds blowing keeping temperatures down and stripping all the newly formed leaves off the trees!!

Supposed to be going to a BBQ tomorrow...

However I braved the elements in short sleeved tee and was okay out of the wind apart from pollen levels :/
    Did some run/walk to help ease my legs in fortunately meeting acquaintances whilst in the running mode :)

Wordle in three today - inspired guess based upon my experience :)

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in four.

Breezy here also, although it looks worse looking at the Roses cricket live stream from Headingley; crowd very much wrapped up with gloves, hats and thick coats.
    Just over 30 minutes easy this morning. Slightly quicker than planned but that's fine.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Wordle in 3, not that I'm competitive.
    It's good to see you getting back to it, gives me hope.

TS,
    I'm not sure the UK is any better, I read that your pollen counts are through the roof and our hot weather will be arriving soon.

Hot and humid today and I have a foot clinic appointment to have my corn removed again so no time to get out early this morning. I will be going on the Bonnie as it is all open road no suffocating traffic in the heat. Did manage to walk the dog before it got too hot.
    It seems this weather is going to hang around for a few more days.

Mick
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    parkrun here. Ran quite hard without putting the foot to the floor. Was supposed to be progressive and largely was: 5:26, 5:14, 4:58, 5:05, 4:36 for 25:04. Happy enough with that. 

Wordle in four. Only competitive element with Wordle is not to fail! Pretty similar with the running!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Mick - you've been through the mill!  Hope the heat & pollen allow you to venture out soon.

TS - always better to be seen whilst in motion!  

hoped you wouldn't mention the cricket, alehouse  ;)   spectators won't need big coats and gloves today, though . . .     

splendid parkrunning; as you say, pretty well judged by the look of the splits. Shorts ?   

It was shorts and T-shirt here; seemed fairly warm as I set off at 8:15, when I met my pal 3 miles later, I was already feeling quite warm. Fortunately, our meeting place was outside the local Costa, so she acquired a glass of water for me (I would have felt impolite to go in dripping all over)  :)   We then did a hilly 8, so 11 for me, and pal's longest run since her "return", so both happy !   

hope WP ok.   

Dave