Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    alehouse
    trainers leave a pattern across the carpets - not allowed :/
    Great consistency there - Km's look so much further than miles!

Dave
    A good outing after yesterday's toughie

Still got a faint pink line on the test after a couple on all clears, so something is lingering and I won't risk passing it on to anyone particularly as my wife is now positive, so more reason to stay isolated despite Government "advice"
  • Options
    Interesting article from a few weeks ago on ageing in footballers.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2022/apr/08/goal-strikers-improve-age-benzema-lewandowski

The first paragraph one can particularly relate to!!!

Wordle in four today despite having four letters in two but only one in the right place.
    I have been trying new first words in the hope of hitting the mythical "got it in one" go :)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in two today! I am also using a different first word each day. FOr once it did me some good!

Will read the article later, TS

45 minutes or so easy this morning, although did include 7 x 30 seconds of hill sprinting with a slow jog back down. Step 7 of 16, although it has taken me 9 weeks to get there. Not been quite as consistent on these but that is from listening to the legs rather than forcing them through the schedule. And being Tuesday it will be stretches later: am being consistent with these on a Tuesday, and trying to up them on other days as well. Not quite there with the latter as yet!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    .. well I stretched on getting out of bed - briefly :)

Hill sprinting is good work for muscle development and for latent memory about tackling hills.
    Higher end aerobic work shouldn't be rushed so you are right to hold back a bit on it - listening to the body rather than the calendar!

Wordle in three today
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in five. 

Legs weren't too bad after yesterday's exertions, so almost 70 minutes plodded for this week's LSR. Chilly and I could have done with more than two tops. Wore gloves and traksters but a hat would have been useful.

How are you feeling, TS?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that paragraph says it all, TS - though we are around double the age of those referenced!  

rest day yesterday (planned), similar time on feet to alehouse today; similar conditions, too - grey and chilly - shorts, but fleecier long sleeve top sported than of late, gloves too.
    Legs (relatively, of course) sprightly - could have done more, but had driven to location with pal, who needed to get back!  Good outing, though .  And good con/con from alehouse to reach step7 👍

Dave
  • Options
    alehouse
    good running >60 mins is ideal for a longer run.  It was cold this morning over here as well!!

Still coughing thanks  :/  Also still have rheumy eyes on occasion but the infection level appears to have dropped away thankfully.

Dave
    ditto on your run - brave in shorts :)

Yes- I thought we could all relate to that paragraph  :/

• Options
    It was an article we all can relate too sadly.

Sorry been MIA just lots to do but Tenby on monday for the day lots of walking, Tuesday 3.5 mile run, Wednesday 8 mile walk to eye hospital and back upshot eye pressure up and either laser treatment or drops I opted for drops.
    Today will be a run day-yay.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    that was a long trek for your eye appointment.  Hope the drops work after that!

Time to rest up for your race

Went out for a walk this morning - shattered after 200 yards, turned round and stumbled home :/

Then Wordle in five so I am in a bad way - and I wasn't even sure it was a proper word!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in five yesterday and six today. 

Legs were sore on my half an hour or so yesterday but not so bad on today's early short run prior to going away for a few days. 

Hope today is a better one, TS!
  • Options
    alehouse
    enjoy the break - going anywhere nice?

I had a mile walk in early sunshine - enough for now!

Wordle in two this morning :) Luckily got in one the first and third letters in the right place and a third letter that could only go in one other spot...
  • Options
    WP
    hope you are resting up for tomorrow!

A two  mile walk in light rain this morning made a pleasant change - everything suddenly very green and fresh.

Wordle in three yesterday and four today - tricky one today

Dave
    I see the Owls are into a play off spot which would be good after the shenanigan's of previous seasons!!  Just need to beat S'land first off :)
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thought you might have noticed that, TS - I take it we can count on your support, given the Red & Whites are our rivals !  

light drizzle here too, for a 3 mile easing of the legs, after yesterday's hilly 10, completed fairly early, to allow hosing & feeding time prior to the 12:30 k.o at Hillsborough. 

had a chauffer trip to Kingsley on Friday, alehouse; proved to be a fruitful one, as "nippers" shaved a few seconds each from their 5K PB's.   

Slightly sobering incident on the trip back - halfway up from Glossop to the top of Snake Pass, a couple of vehicles had stopped;  a car with it's front all crumpled in middle of road, driver at verge being tended by passengers from the stopped vehicles. Ambulance quickly attended, ascertained driver seemingly ok physically, but shaken.  Seems a rabbit had appeared from the darkness into his path - fortunately no oncoming vehicles at that moment.

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    WP,
    Goods luck with the eye thing.

TS,
    No running yet?

Dave,
    It seems like a lifetime ago since I pb'd, come to think of it,it was a lifetime ago.

I seem to have my meds sorted so I tried an easy bike ride this morning, no not my Bonnie but the one with pedals. 25k in perfect conditions, felt good apart from a very dry mouth, probably a side effect of the meds. I'll try a run next.

Mick
  • Options
    Dave
    I should think the Owls will have the backing of at least another 52,000  :)!!

Good going to get 10 miles in the legs before the match

Super runs by your offspring - dual PB's  :)

Nasty incident - surprised it wasn't a sheep on that road.

Mick
    No run yet - still got a congested chest and rasping cough.  I may have tried a few strides through the woods where no one could see me but soon stopped.

Lot of pollen around here as well - later spring certainly brings it all out in a rush!
    Sounds like your meds are getting on top of it which is good to hear.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Resting for tomorrow I did do a 2 mile leg stretch .Then more packing and unpacking not ideal at all but needs must. As long as I get to start line I will be happy.Achilles still a problem but seems to be less so.I just hope not wishful thinking.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    typical Bank Holiday weather - dull and overcast but mild.

Did 2.2 miles of lamp posts - jog one, walk one - knackered!!!

Wordle in four today
  • Options
    .... and it looks like time has also caught up with Mo Farah  :/

However great to see a normal "club" runner who had to pay for his entrance fee winning that 10K in 28min 40sec or so - and he also works in Up and Running as well!!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Easy does it, TS! Don't rush things!

Have been away for a few days in Northern France where a friend lives so only back about 90 minutes ago, so only just worked out April's figures: 184.94km (114.91 miles), and last week I managed 47km. Both the highest since January 2021, I believe.

About to do today's Wordle: haven't done it for a few days. 

How was your day, WP?

And well done to Birch's nippers! Would have gone to Kingsley but was away.
  • Options
    alehouse
    hope you stocked up on the way back :)

a very good April indeed - and it was a shorter month too!  Another day might have seen 120 miles done...

I see Mo Farah has heard that I may be back in training and has decided to quit :)

Another 2.2 mile lamp post day - lungs clearer. May have increased the pace just once to pass another runner.

Wordle in four again

Mick
    whilst walking around the local horticultural gardens yesterday I came across a pine tree that had a pale yellow cloud around it. Closer examination showed it to be the release of pollen from some appendages that looked like bunches of miniature yellow bananas at the end of each branch which were filled with pollen.
    If you get that sort of enormous concentration around your place I am not surprised you get pollen overload !! 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good to see you easing back, TS - (with a touch of acceleration thrown in!) 

likewise Mick - hope we see a run report this week . . .  

welcome back, alehouse - good week's & month's numbers there ! 

rest yesterday;  5 miles fartlek today, inc 3 x 160m "shallow" hill, a couple of steeper ones (maybe 250m & 400m), and 2 x 800m slightly downhill efforts.  Had a companion, so easier mentally, but legs feeling tired now.   

Dave
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Sounds like your recovery is going well.
    Yes we are surrounded by pines, cedars, spruce etc, all heavy pollenators.

Dave,
    I like the sound of your workout, if only ......

Yesterday was spent in the garden, by the end of the day nothing left for exercise.
    I seem to have things under control and am now up for a run but we are off for a couple of days for a bit of a break from the daily routine. I should be able to get out on Friday.

Mick
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Short break appeals, Mick !

took the legs out for a steady trundle today of 4.5 miles on tarmac & trail.

Dave
  • Options
    Mick
    aahh - not surprised therefore by the effects the pollen has on you - the overdose must be massive :/

have a good break - are you going far?

Dave
    nice trundle!

WP
    where are you - and your results?

Alehouse
    are you wrapped round your duty frees?

Out at 0700 for a day of meetings all over the north west - not long back - so no run day.
    Did climb an eight storey building via scaffolding ladders so some part of a work out!!

Wordle in three tonight
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    No duty free, TS! Not much point when flying. 
    Decent cross training!
    Wordle in 3 also. But 5 yesterday.

Running was a struggle yesterday and today. Haven't felt great since I got back: tested negative for you know what! 

All sounds good, Birch!

Have a good break, Mick?

WP?

• Options
    NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Torque Steer -Sorry to hear both you and Mrs TS have had covid - doesn't sound nice.

Saw the news about the club runner beating Mo Farah!

Finally back to NZ - so happy to be home. Came home with the 'flu but not covid. We had to test to get into USA and test before we got home and test day 0 and day 5 - negative. My cold felt pretty bad so I would hate to have had covid!

Amazing that we got through unscathed - London, Paris, London, Ireland, Italy, London, Scotland, London, San Francisco now home.

We went to Skye and climbed some awesome hills - well my husband liked them - I am scared of heights so just like the "Path of the Gods" in Italy I froze on a couple of these crags too. Slipped down a few times even though I had a stick.

Ran 3 km today - onwards and upwards!
  • Options
    alehouse
    oh I don't know - northern France, some nice Calvados would do very nicely :)

It's one of my favourite asks when a snooty wine waiter runs through his list of post dinner brandies so I request that(or an Asbach German brandy) just to see his discomfort at not having either one!!

Good news on the test - may have been aircraft seats cramping your style although NZC seems to have managed!

NZC
    That was a fair itinerary - did you have it all booked before leaving  or was it off the cuff.
    All those airports and planes you did very well not to pick up anything other than a cold -although they can be pretty bad.

I once spent a week climbing on Skye - it only rained twice, once for four days, once for three days :/

A "club" runner that can do 28:40 for 10K is in quite good company :)

My legs were a bit like alehouse's today after a long day's driving yesterday plus ladder workout.
    So 2.2 miles of lamp posts done again - nice sunshine and paths strewn with cherry blossom after overnight wind had brought it down
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    wordle in four today - nasty word of doubtful American origin!
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning ,

Sorry been MIA busy busy busy but booked the removers 18th of this month! Broad band installed on 16th!

No Race Monday I was still in bed exhausted by the moving and unpacking especially as Mr WP can not do it.

But I have run apart from yesterday as Achilles sais no.
    Today 2.5 miler as chest bad.So just happy to get out and run.

Wordle in three but more luck than anything and an American word I think!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression