Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Safe travels NZD!

Speed repeats but 20 secs on 45 minute jog x 12 and I nailed it a good session for me first and last rep was my fastest as the rest were interupted by dogs and people.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nicely nailed, WP!!

speed session here too; a record 10 in the group for a very blustery
    3 x 400m, 4 x 550m, 3 x 400m.  Pace all over the place, as strong gusts interfered!
    5 miles with the pre and post jogging.  

4 hours work this afternoon; labouring - carrying "crush and run" hardcore & removing rubble in OH's garden. Might feel the effects tomorrow . . .   still, alehouse visit later for some of alehouse's medication :)  

Dave
  • Options
    NZD
    that must be awful after the delights of the heat haze over London :)

WP
    good workout despite interruptions!

dave
    excellent turnout - your fame is spreading despite the tough session and conditions!

NRD as it was a poke in the eye with a sharp needle day :/

Wordle in four - fitted me perfectly
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun, eye-wise,  TS. Not.

Medication,  Birch. Don't know what you mean!

30+ minutes including a couple of harder efforts.  Plus a fair amount of grandchild minding, which was good cross training. 
    Then an hour of stretching. Work tomorrow for a rest.

Wordle in five. Appropriate. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    yes - wordle  very fitting :)

Eye treatment is not so bad, apart from not being able to see afterwards - the staff are incredibly  friendly and a very efficiently run department

G'pa duties are a hard session equivalent!

Dank, dark, dull and slightly warmer as I plodded 2.5 miles with avHR 122 and a max of 134.

For some unknown reason my VO2 max went up one point - only have six to go to reach my previous level....
  • Options
    Gastro tummy bug attacked me last night and still feeling pretty rubbish.So No PT session and no running.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    it's all that laverbread :)

Well it was supposed to be warm out here this morning but nobody told the actual weather and it remained chill and brisk!

Same 2.5 miles in the same time and HR but with legs that felt as stiff as cold porridge and about as much use :/

I may get to a whole 50 miles for this month.......

Wordle in four 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Chilly and brisk here also! Today's tired plod took me to 95 miles for the month so tomorrow should take me over the hundred, or Sunday at worst. 

55 in Feb then, TS!

Wordle in four. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse

show off - just doubling my mileage :)

February is a short month..........
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    February is longer than usual! 
  • Options
    true :)

woke up this morning with sudden severe pain in my left big toe joint  - rally quite difficult to walk on it!!!

Strangely I have also been afflicted with a similar pain in my right index finger which I had put down to too much use of the mouse leading to RSS.

Gout or arthritis - which would I rather not have?!!

Wordle in four 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    50 miles is very good in the circumstances, TS. Not all that much less than me, HM included. And a good total for you too, Ale.

Didn't work out quite as intended here in Tokyo. Pretty full on (today excepted). Just a slightly chilly, moderate 5k around the palace midday + plus easy to and from hotel (7.4k total).

Skipped the parkrun idea. Better part of an hour by train to get there before 8am, in very chilly 2C temperature with no cold weather running gear not so attractive. Plus needing to take additional warm clothes for return.

Interesting to see a big upsurge in Parkrun attendance back home in the last few weeks. Millwater 371 this week (355 last week) vs <290 max to the end of last year. Hagley (Christchurch) over 800 this week!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    6.5 miles trudged on Thursday.  Rest yesterday (more heavy labouring).
    Extended my Saturday morning longer road efforts to 10 miles, by adding a diversion to the dam wall where I added 6 x 350m.  Given the work yesterday, I felt surprisingly better than expected to begin with, but legs started to become (much) heavier on the penultimate, and most testing, effort - uphill mile. Currently on 34.5 for the week. I'll do something tomorrow, but maybe not a lot . . . .  
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Don't blame you for not parkrunning today, NZD! I guess parkrun in January is down to new year's resolutions!

TS, I have mild arthritis in both thumbs and big toes. Not a lot that you can do apart from I have been advised to pull on them to try and keep the gap open between bones!

I did parkrun and went to the one that I last went to in August. Three hills, steps twice, over half off road.  Probably better conditions in August, and certainly wasn't the five degrees/feels like one of this morning! Never actually got warm!

Set off well within myself and gradually ramped up the pace whilst being reasonably in my comfort zone: "comfortably uncomfortable". Surprised myself with 24:23, about a minute quicker than in the summer. And the course is probably worth a minute compared to the quicker courses around here. First in age group on my debut in the new category and my highest ever age grading on the course. Basically nearly all of my running has been slow and steady; now time to gradually increase the quicker work, plus strength and conditioning, in preparation for those better weather days from Easter to September and what I call the racing season. 

Has turned into quite a pleasant day and inspired by Maidstone managed some cross training in the garden.

Edit: today's run did indeed take me past 100 for the month. 

And: 49th over the line, but 8th on age grading.

Wordle in four. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Cross post, Birch! Sounds a decent session, or sessions if you include the cross training!
  • Options
    Dave
    it's actually "crusher run"  but crush ad run sounds delightful :)

Great efforts on both days but particularly your speed sessions knowing a hill awaited you on the way home!!

NZD
    didn't sound too enticing in Tokyo and I am sure the Japanese would have a law against being on public transport in sweaty clothes :)

alehouse
    that was a very good time over what sounded like a tough course - and great AG as well 
    Plus not too tired to do gardening afterwards so you must have had something in reserve :)

well you wouldn't have been inspired by the Toon but the Foxes may have given you a lift.

I shouldn't have counted my miles before they were run :/

Barely able to put weight on my left foot as the toe is so painful - in fact Mrs TS beat me round the garden, and she was on two sticks, this morning!!

The toe will not lift at all at the joint with the foot - the right one as control goes up about 50 degrees

Wordle in six  :/
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in six, also.

Hope the toe soon returns to normality, TS!

Just under 35 easy minutes today; hamstrings equally tight so some stretching in addition. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in five. Appropriate!

Around 55 minutes off road with my M78 neighbour. Had hoped for more but he was struggling with a bad back; gardening is a dangerous sport! We got drenched but an enjoyable run nevertheless.
  • Options
    TS: Hope the toes gets back to normal soon-You can't have Mrs TS beating in the garden!

I have run every day and this morning was speed repeats so 15 mins warm up,4 mins controlled pace,three minute jog x 5 then 30 secs hard with 1 minute jog x6 with cool down.
    Nailed the 30 secs hard but the 4 minutes was a little slower about 15 secs per rep. All ran in the rain.

Weigh loss in two weeks half a stone.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehouse
    the walk around the garden yesterday, with Mrs TS pointing out what needed to be done, convinced me that my toe injury was prescient!!

Enjoyable rain is a new experience  :)

WP
    that was a tough outing and an unusual one.  What paces were set for each?

Good news on the weight loss - a result of your hard work 

Toe little better this morning so I am awaiting a telecom appointment with the GP

Wordle in five also - two tough days in a row!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Splendid parkrunning, alehouse! 24:23 was my time 3 weeks ago, but on a seemingly kinder course and without your recent "issues".  148th, 24th by age grade. Must get my act together :)  

Tough luck with the toe, TS - one thing after another; hope your appointment helpful . . .
      thanks for the "crusher run" clarification, btw :) 

Nice consistency, WP - good session too, with weight loss bonus a further reason to be cheerful !  

Rain here too, alehouse (and a little of your chum's back bother). Rain not "drenching" but light. Legs not light at all as they plodded 6.5 miles.  Yesterday's 4 was a trudge too, as I closed the week on 38.5.  Likely to be a rest (from running that is) tomorrow, as more garden labouring scheduled. Should be the final day . . .     

Wordle in three - was given a clue though after opening two words - and yes, appropriate!  

Dave
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Managed another 6.5 miles this morning, as labouring postponed until noon. Legs much better.
  • Options
    Dave
    that should leave your legs perfectly warmed up for labouring :)

I think refreshment may be in order this evening.

"Crusher run" describes what happens - stone etc is crushed and then run through a series of sieves to sort it into different maximum sizes.

I'll bet you really needed that information.........

Toe is walkable on today - GP phone appointment useless - agreed with my alternate diagnoses and "wait and see"!

Wordle in five - yet another "..... is a valid guess but is unlikely to be a solution based upon what I have learned from playing Wordle" - response to my superb, but admittedly old, English word. We get Americanisations why not proper English words??
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in four! I don't get any feedback...which is a good thing probably!

Have you tried pulling the big toe, TS?

Another 55 minutes very gently banked. One small bovine calf was a little niggly so need to keep an eye on that. 
  • Options
    I've heard of pulling someone's leg ....  :)

I do sit  and put pressure on the toe to keep it moving , similarly with my index finger I make a fist a lot over a ball or similar

so was it your calf or one in the field?  If the latter it's the mother you have to look out for!

I nearly dipped my toe in the water this morning but decided not . Still too sore.

Wordle in four 

If you look below the statistics bit there is a link to the "wordle bot" which gives an analysis of the day's performance
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in four, also. Thanks for the analysis tip, TS! And I was serious about pulling your toe!

My calf rather than anything larger! Was fine today for a very cold excursion. Four degrees, felt like one. 55 minutes including 4k warm up, 2 minutes effort, then 2:30, 2:30, 2 minutes, with short walk/jog recovery. The efforts were dictated by the route eg up to the top of a rise, to a turn etc. More or less a fartlek, which was the original intention as I move towards starting some much needed quicker stuff. 2k warm down to bring up 9k in total. 

January's figures: 31 days run, one parkrun, 192.72 kms (119.75 miles).

Long stretch this evening.

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Maybe you'll "toe" the line tomorrow, TS.  

Good session, alehouse.  Decent stats, too.

Speed group today - six strong. Weather exactly as alehouse described!  Did the
    (800m,400m,600m,400m) x 2 session.  5 miles in total.  

151 miles for January.

Dave
  • Options
    Dave

151 miles is marathon training :)   ... and with speed sessions!

Didn't toe the line this morning :/

alehouse
    I did do a bit of toe pulling last evening - very painful it was too!

You are getting close to marathon training as well :)

Nicely engaged fartlek as well - it's always good to have those unusual markers to run to.

Wordle in four - despite having the first and last in one and first, third and last in two! 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I needed a lot more than that to run a decent marathon, TS :)

Speed session told in my legs today as they eked out 7 miles at a very pedestrian pace. 
    4c at 8:30 start time. Leggings donned, but felt slightly overdressed in them by the end of the run.  

No wordle yet.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Speed session told in my legs today as they eked out 34 minutes  at an even more pedestrian pace than Birch, probably! Tracksters, long sleeved top, gilet, rain jacket, hat, gloves. Face still cold from the biting wind. Although Mick will say that feels like one degree is warm! Hope you are continuing to progress.

Glad to hear that you have been toe pulling, TS!

Wordle in five.