Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited February 23
    Good luck, if you decide to run at LFOTM alehouse.

Decent jaunt NZD - nicely toughed out into the headwind . . . 

Nicely "sauntered", TS . . . 

Did you get out for lsr, WP?   I decided to get mine done today, as a bit time restricted tomorrow morning.  12 miles in the bag. Legs not too bad, given the shorter gap after speed session than usual. Saying this, I was pleased when the gadget ticked past 12 as it meant I could stop and walk the final (uphill) 200m to the house!  Only 4c and drizzling at forst, so 2 layers plus jacket, and leggings. This meant feeling overdressed later in the run, but was ultimately happy as another downpour in the last 2 or 3 miles meant I became cold as I tired.  Decided I could justify a hot choc . . .  

Here's yours truly and V70 mate at the Wed morn session

Feet just about both airborne :)

• Options
    Great LSR Dave and great to have you back 

I went out prepped for long run but ended up with mlr 8.5 miles and was my limit for today.Happy with that just means lsr moved to Wednesday  if weather is fine.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Way too wet, its time to emigrate.

Clocked a 4k row today.

As you can see my hr needs a bit of work but still only in zone 2.

Mick

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    So wet that the National XC tomorrow has been cancelled.  Car parks under water.

LFOTM...Bit of a disaster here: three and a half well controlled kilometres then left leg decided against playing, so limped to the finish. 

Wordle in five
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in four. 

Doubt that I will run today: hamstring really not good, so it may well be that yesterday, day 949, was the last day of the current streak. Need a miracle cure in the next couple of hours! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    edited February 24
    alehouse
    bad news!!

hamstring does not repair in a couple of hours- you may manage a little walk and indeed that may be quite good as it will encourage blood flow through the tear and reduce scarring - but nothing more!!

Time to put your feet up and watch rugby, Union and League for several hours and even see if Arteta has another meltdown, when after a dour 95 mins of a 0-0 draw the Toon are warded a very controversial penalty for handball and score the winner :)

I suspect reality may be rather different..........

Wordle in four today
  • Options
    I agree hamstrings do not recover in a few hours-bad luck Alehouse.

1 degree here but recovery run all done 5 miles and fastest for the course which is strange;-)
    Wordle  fail today!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Am largely following your advice, TS! And I know only too well how long hamstrings take to heel. Last time was nine weeks,  and this injury is worse. Pretty sure it is where the hamstring attaches to the hip/pelvic area. Can't put my feet up though: simply too painful!
    Standing, watching Wales lose, or they are at present, WP!
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    edited February 24
    Ale: Bad news indeed. Hamstring injuries do need tlc though so do take care with it.
    TS: Yes, Doctor in evidence on those hot days. And yes, almost 'positively winter' the last two days. Grey overcast today, down to 25C max & even a few spits of rain! Which is to say, quite pleasant for once.
    Mick: Good to see you are already managing extended training efforts. Looking positive. 
    WP and Dave: Decent mileages by both of you, despite the damp conditions.

Fortunately wedding was in the afternoon, so I did manage a parkrun here this morning. Not the nice flat one I had hoped to do though (Bibra Lakes, closed due to a bush fire that ripped through the area earlier in the week). Instead reluctantly did the local Fremantle one (South Beach Recreation Reserve parkrun), which seems to have been designed by some evil sadist. About 1.2 km of it over soft to slightly firm sand. About a third of that ankle deep loose, soft sand, and the rest skimming as close to the tideline as could without getting wet. Ultimately made it in 25:55, with AG of just 74.4% being 1st/153. Fastest time of just 20:17 being testament to how slow the last 2 km of the course is.

All up 12.7 km including running to the parkrun, and back to our apartment afterwards. 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Real shame about the hamstring, alehouse - hope it clears up sooner rather than later  . . 

WP - nice speedy run in the cold!  

TS - sorry to note you were correct re the "reality" . . . 

NZD - sand ??!!   well done!  

Mick - good work.

6 miles easy pace yesterday; legs reasonable given 12 miles on Friday.  Rest today.
    40 mile week.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in three. 

Little else to report!

Decent week, Birch
  • Options
    Mick
    nice progression on your HR profile - good going

WP
    you seem to have got to the next level in your training runs - well done

Dave
    another excellent week - and another win for the Owls!

My "reality" was pretty brutal :/

NZD
    parkrun on sand?! Masochism!!
    Good time for your outing though despite underfoot conditions

Very good of them to organise the wedding to suit :)

alehouse
    bummer!!

Did a whole 1.75 miles at, for me a surprisingly brisk pace of 11:15m/m reflected in a HR of 133/148 - ridiculously high 

Wordle in four
  • Options
    NZD Sand!!

Dave Decent mileage well deserved with hard work you put in.

Ale I am not even looking at game it is painful.
    Hope your hamstring  heals quicker than you think.

Ts Thanks   it does seem like next level at the moment.

37 miles for week.

5 miles easy. All easy this week as have to run 13.1 miles this week. Last 13 miler is 2018.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention, 39 km for week. Yesterday (Rottnest Island) & today other commitments. 
    TS, good progress 👍
    WP & Dave, very good week totals despite the inclement weather.

• Options
    NZD
    my basic Dutch doesn't make that sound a very attractive place - "Rat's Nest"  :)?

It's progress, but not as we know it....

WP
    that is a very precise target run - have you a HM coming up?

Well after sunshine and frost yesterday it was back to sleety rain and chill wind as I reprised my 1.75 miles at 11:30 m/m pace and HR 129/142

At which Garmin promptly downgraded it from its usual Tempo (!) status to Base -which is indeed a more accurate assessment.

Wordle in three
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle in three, also. 

At least you got out, TS! I wish...

Unfortunately the leg issue  seems serious; spoke to a GP and have an urgent referral to a consultant friend...who will see me on Thurs pm...and says to use crutches until then. GP thinks it is likely to be high proximal hamstring tendinopathy, i.e. where the hamstring meets the pelvic area, if I understand correctly. Hopefully GP is wrong!
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS, 😁. Indeed that is the origin of the name! www.rottnestisland.com/learn/military-maritime-history

An interesting history but pretty barron other than a few pubs, shops and beaches, et al. More a cycling & boaties destination. Windy and decidedly cool when we were there yesterday. 

Ale, fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    alehouse
    that is indeed a real pain in the butt :/!

It was something I had many years ago after a very hilly HM and I found the only way I could get out of a car after a long drive was to literally roll out the door, which didn't look too impressive to onlookers!

This quite a good site for details
    https://complete-physio.co.uk/proximal-hamstring-tendinopathy-pht-also-known-as-high-hamstring-pain/

hope it is not as bad as currently predicted and is inflammation rather than a tear in the tendon.

NZD
    I don't remember much Dutch but it was the name of a (very good) restaurant in Den Haag I frequented on business rips there!

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good miles, WP/NZD

alehouse - here's hoping . . . 

TS - nice 1.75 "base" run!  

no sleet here, but cold and windy.  I trundled 7.5 miles, which I'm pleased with as a start to the week.  

Wordle in three (four yesterday) 

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, TS!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Urgent update!  Was 8 miles - just remembered I added a 0.5 mile "round the block" loop to make the round number . . . 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS: Good that you are now able to run 1.5 - 1.75 m consistently. Hope the toe is improving.
    Dave: Well caught. Definitely worth an urgent update 😁.

Bit of a plod this morning, 12.5 km @ 6:48. HR 108/124 says it all. Local streets down to Fremantle South Beach, then several km on coastal path. Felt like an old man running ...!  Oh, yeah, wait ... R glute and hamstring tight after Saturday parkrun partly on soft sand, and legs generally a bit stiff.

Stopped a few times for traffic and to have a gawk / take pics, including of one of the parkrun soft sand patches! Out to the end of a groyne and back over this patch. The other one down to and along the beach. 

• Options
    Dave
    vital upgrade :)
    Makes it an even better start to the week. Your roundin gup is about my long run!

alehouse 
    any easier this am?

NZD
    nasty!!  OK for training runs and very good for endurance but a parkrun/race?!!

ANother 1.75 miles in identical weather conditions to yesterday - 11:15m/m pace and HR 131/142 and Garmin pushed it back up to Tempo

It would appear that avHR 130 is the dividing line between base and tempo as far as Garmin is concerned!!
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Commendable, NZD - no wonder legs grumbling a bit !
    Take it you didn't include in the 12.5 k?    

TS - good range of training (according to Garmin) !  Nice that you're getting out again . . .

V.Cold again this morning, so double long sleeve top and leggings (one pair) :)  the order of the day. Point to point 7 miler in the bag. 

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Wordle failure. 

Thanks for asking, TS: marginal improvement...or getting used to the discomfort.  

Was looking at my HR data from the recent decent parkrun: 145 average, and comparing it with Friday's run where I had issues. 129 up to when I stopped,  so confirms that I was running well within myself!

Good outing, Birch. 
    And TS, remember the key thing is consistent consistency.  No rush to increase the distance,  or speed!
  • Options
    Dave
    point to point - you have to do the distance which can be a motivator!

alehouse
    it sounds like the damage had already been done and the Friday run triggered the more extreme reaction?

Foxes v Magpies next round  :)?

After last night's performance by the latter it should be an easy fixture!!

Well consistent consistency was indeed on the menu on another cold morn with 1.75 miles at 11:15m/m pace with HR 130/142 which, of course according to Garmin, made it again tempo running :)

Wordle in six - I had the first, second and fourth letters after three and had yet another ".... is a valid word but unlikely to be ....", then wasting another go to use up some letters and finally had the solution!!

• Options
    should say that my toe is now just a background ache but my knee remains a problem - strangely it is at its most comfortable when I am running in a straight line ( corners can be dodgy!) but I limp before and after with the stiffness! 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    The Foxes need to concentrate on the league of course, TS! Made nine changes for yesterday's game!
    Yes, I suspect most of the damage was already done, and Friday was a step too far. Don't know what caused the issue. Could be new shoes. Possibly ran parkrun too quickly for the legs. Or too much glute work, although I don't think that I do enough.

Wordle in four. 
  • Options
    ...or muddy conditions etc over weeks inducing back slip/slide?
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your assessment tomorrow, alehouse.

90' corners dodgy for me too, TS - even without "dodgy" knee, although still have my ongoing "issue" of left leg being unable to fully extend -i.e. right leg can be pressed flat to the carpet when sitting on my backside, but left leg can only be put in, say, a 160 degree obtuse angle - in other words, can't flatten to carpet. 

Speed group this morning. 6c, no rain and very light breeze enticed a record turnout of ten!  4.5 miles all told, with a session of 3x400m, 3x600m, 3x400m.  One of the group was very pleased as she knocked 3 minutes off her 5 mile PB at the weekend . . . .  

WP?   

Wordle in four.

Dave