Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Dave
    excellent turnout - and great results by your group member to prove their worth.

3 min off is a big chunk of time for 5 miles although it does in part depend upon the base level 

That is a very strange behaviour from your left leg - it doesn't appear to affect your running - hip flexors or further down the leg?
  • Options
    Dave
    here is another story about someone improving their time

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/feb/28/georgia-bell-ai-parkrun-team-gb-place-olympics-world-indoor-championships-athletics

something good coming out of parkrun after all the recent hiatus and an interesting take on the high mileage training philosophy impact on some athletes.

well - same weather, same run of 1.75 miles, slightly slower pacing at 11:45m/m and HR 127/140 so, of course, Garmin graded it as Base run :)

I should say in my defence that it does include 100' of climb, most of it in the first 1/2 mile but, of course,thereafter most of it is downhill or flattish.

Wordle in five
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Ale: Hope your consultant session produces a more positive diagnosis
    Dave: Your fame is spreading. Franchise on the horizon?! 
    TS: HR 130/142 quite high for 1.75 miles at 11:15 pace?  Fitness has taken a significant hit due to the knee and top problems? 

Shifted down to Busselton yesterday for 4 days (~230 km south of Perth). Intended 12 km run along Busselton coastal path /cycleway this morning cut to 9 km / 56 mins. Call from OH a few km in - due out earlier than originally planned. Beautifully sunny but with a nice cool breeze (7:30 am). 

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Sounds a pleasant outing, NZD (course, conditions) despite curtailment.

Thanks for the link, TS - good article. Tough start to your run!  Tough cup draw for your team!

Problem area is around outer side of left leg, at top of calf/bottom of ITB. It can affect my gait sometimes, and I will occasionall stop to stretch it out. Its worst after sitting for an extended period and immediately on getting out of bed.  

7 miles this morning. Cold and grey at 8:30, but the rural views were good.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Saw consultant.  He has arranged an emergency scan on Saturday. Will know more after the results. 

Wordle in four. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Thanks,  NZD!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    don't like the words "emergency scan"  :/
    Here's hoping for  better news from it.

NZD
    sounds a lovely outing despite the call back!!

Dave
    that's a strange one for that location!!  Particularly on the outside of the knee. Have you had any knee trauma before?
  • Options
    Ale Hope it is good news👍

I have run just busy time Tempo run yesterday and an hour easy today.
    Half pencilled in for Saturday. 

I went to cat shelter  yesterday and tomorrow  pick up a cat similar  age to Tintin. Not sure if I am ready as struggling  to cope with using his cat carrier and litter tray.But he needs a good home and we will care for him.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

that's a bit bigger than I wanted!
    It shows the profile better than the Connect one s the vertical scale is more compressed

I have always started off uphill as it gets the HR up without undue pace and on a longer run the avHR will sometimes be averaged down by fewer such steep gradients.

Forgot to start watch this morning hence it's a bit short!

WP
    you out doing your 13.1 miles still? 
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Ah, overlooked your big hill TS. Yes, both HR and/or average pace will take a hit.
    Race pencilled in on Sat, WP?
    Does sound an unusual condition Dave. Doesn't seem to impact your running too much though. Still keeping up the impressive mileages. 
    Ale, will it be an ultrasound or MRI scan? 

Shorter (& earlier) run along the coastal path this morning - 7.14k @ 5:56. Mainly checking out my R glute which was still a bit tight yesterday (post-Sat parkrun). Still a touch of tightness and legs a bit stiff but better than yesterday. Think I'm good to go for parkrun tomorrow. Just slightly apprehensive after Ale's experience, especially as the course down here will be faster (almost all paved and largely flat).

Not ideally prepared but 'have' to do it given I eventually convinced (coearsed?) my Perth (& youngest) brother to do it also. Have spent years 'encouraging' him to do a parkrun! Will be a walk & run in his case though. Otherwise fit (plays cricket) but still not able to run 1 km non-stop. 
  • Options
    Torque SteerTorque Steer ✭✭✭
    NZD
    getting your parkrun tourism in very nicely :)

I know how your brother feels!

I don't think that soft sand previously would have helped your glute - it can have quite a dragging effect on the leg muscles.

You are right of course - my fitness has fallen off a cliff as well as the ultra cautious approach being adopted to my running and my VO2 max is way down.

However with the dawn of a bright new month I heroically increased the mileage to a whole 2.06 miles (including another hilly bit which made it 135' of ascent) in 24 min (11:40m/m) and HR 130/143 so another Tempo run according to Garmin.

Not so much bright out there but murky and 2C so a chill day.

Wordle in four
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    24 minutes is good progress, TS; however I wouldn't push on any further and would take a very cautious approach. And yes, an urgent scan is very ominous especially as I have the follow up on Tuesday lunchtime, I have just been told.

Wordle in four, also.
  • Options
    alehouse
    good luck!!

Did you get any feedback from yesterday's appointmentor is it still being analysed?

Yup - slow and steady it is. Indeed the reaction in my knee afterwards is a very good brake to any future exuberance!
    Strangely it is better behaved when running with little restriction on movement as long as I tread carefully around left hand corners!
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    TS, re yesterday and consultation,  there are a couple of possibilities,  one worse than another, but no point in speculating! Scan will reveal all! 
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Name for new feline addition, WP?  

Good luck at parkrun, NZD.

Hoping your scan results are relatively positive, alehouse.

Nicely increased mileage TS :)    

No previous knee trauma. Did have an arthroscopy to trim a slightly torn medial ligament in my early 50's, but no real issues since. 

Cold here too this morning, together with heavy rain turning to sleet. 5.5 miles bagged, but ended soaked through - kit (2 tops, jacket, tracksters) all sopping. Must have weighed around a kg extra with the water!!   

Wordle in three

Dave
  • Options
    NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    TS: As per Ale and Dave - good progress, especially if can consolidate around that level for a while.
    Hopefully Mick also making steady progress with rowing and walking.
    WP: Saturday still 'pencilled in' or now done & dusted?

Geographe Bay parkrun: Alas 'faster course' didn't quite work out as hoped. Yes, fully paved, near flat, almost straight E-W trending out and back course, and a bright sunny morning. What more could be asked for? Except 'straight E-W trending' on an exposed WA coastal path meant a full-on headwind the entire 2.5 km of the out leg. And by then legs and heart were too tired to benefit from the return tailwind. Just meant little breeze for cooling down. At 25:37, little better than last week. At least was again sufficient for 1/164 by AG. 

Brother did OK given his prior lack of running. Managed to jog effectively all the way, finishing in just under 40 minutes.

Busselton area is a holiday destination and it is a long weekend here in WA. Resulted in a few interesting stats: 53/164 were 'first timers' on the course, including 15 doing their first ever parkrun (and a similar number their second one). No asking who was from overseas or other Australian parkruns. Race director instead just looked around, smiled and asked "OK, do we have any locals here?"
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Road efforts today. Heart sank whilst having pre-run coffee, as deluge was lashing windows and I really didn't fancy another soaking after yesterday. Considered taking a rest day and doing session tomorrow, but the rain eased, and I already had kit on, so off I went. As it turned out, the heavy rain didn't return, just light drizzle.

I recall NZD asking re times for efforts; so I decided to record one or two. Sort of wish I hadn't!   The session was 1x1 mile, 4xhalfmile, 1x1 mile.  I timed the 2nd and 3rd half miles (flat road with sweeping bends, no corners), and the final mile (long straight road, slightly undulating)  The half miles were 4:00,  the mile 8:19. Given that my most recent parkrun in January was 7:52 pace, this was quite sobering.  8 miles in total. At least I can enjoy tomorrow off running now!  

40 miles for the week.  153 for February.

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done, NZD, particularly on the age grade position!

Well banked, Birch. 

Scans done; results Tuesday. 

Wordle in four. 
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    NZD,
    Well done on the ag performance.
    I have had a bit of a set back in my recovery. As you know I'm immune comprised still and have to be careful. I picked up a blister on a toe which has become infected. This is an emergency for me and of course it happened while I'm in Toronto with daughter.
    This turned out to be in my favour as primary care in Toronto is incredible where Ottawa is a disaster. I saw a doctor and picked up a prescription in 30 minutes.
    It is responding well but I need to get it checked after a week but I'll be back in Ottawa. Literally no chance of seeing anyone that quickly so if it is not clear I could end up in emergency.
    However I feel good and fit so still walking.
    Mick

• Options
    Mick
    that could have turned out very nasty - good to get some ultra prompt treatment whilst you were away from home.

Better stay in Toronto!!

NZD
    another great AG result - you are scooping them up along the west coast - the Aussies will be getting sick of you :)

Dave
    you did well to miss the deluge and get a good run& intervals in. The times aren't too shabby either despite what you may think as they were a part of a much longer run.

And Owls winning again :)

alehouse
    was it an ultrasound or MRI scan? fingers crossed!

some great indoor athletics on - really nice to see Georgia Bell running so well in the 1500m after that earlier article about her - she looked a class athlete.

I had taken Mrs TS out for her regular walk therapy and we got caught in an absolute deluge. Roads flooded and the field opposite our house had a stream/torrent running down it where I have never seen one before in over 30 years!!

Wordle in four
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Mick I agree with TS stay in Toronto  for a week.

Dave Decent outing well done and mileage for February  and the week.

New feline is called Dewi Boi not sure if a good idea but he is here and settling in.
    Not a patch on my Tintin but hewas one in a million.

Half marathon  today and 6 years since last one I completed it.Achilles moaned for last two miles  and legs achy but seems I got away with it.600ft climbing.

Wordle in Three
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited March 2
    Hope to hear of better news, Mick.

Well done on the virtual half, WP. Soon be time for a real one! Anything planned?

MRI, TS. A nice relaxing 40 minutes in the tube. Not. Always get an itch but dare not move. And I am getting very concerned about The Foxes. 
  • Options
    alehouse
    it's tightening up a bit at the top - not a bit of wonder you have an itch :)!

WP
    very well done on the HM distance - practice?

A new cat - nice :) Is it a kitten or an adult?

Bit of a change from yesterday here - blue sky and blessed sunshine although still cold.

Laboured a bit at first then had the misfortune to bump into an old running acquaintance - well I'm old, she is not, but I used to see her quite regularly in the morning until she had changed her times to suit her kids new schools.
    So I was lured into an extra half mile as she happily chatted away whilst I concentrated on breathing until we went our separate ways!!

2.51 miles in 28:50 (11:30m/m) with HR 131/141 so another Garmin "tempo" run
  • Options
    ... wordle in four
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if I can run one this year as Cardiff is full and no other Autumn ones nearby but will look.

Hope the mri results  are good Ale

TS He is an adult 13 months old so comes with behaviour issues sitting on kitchen table that needs to be curbed but apart from that has settled in well......at the moment asleep on my dressing gown! yet he has three beds of his own but no on my bed.He is waking me at 5am at the moment for food! and to be fussed he gets the food and i try to go back to bed and get up at 6.30am!

Nice tempo paced run TS hope no reaction for you.

I did similar distance just 2.35 miles  starting the garmin 10k plan ,so needed a benchmark for  5 minutes so 2 mins warm up 5 minutes control pace and two mins cool down.I had 7 minutes at controlled pace as missed the cool down beep;-) Then ran long way home from the park.It seems my pace for this block of training is faster than the last block.

Wordle in four
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    WP
    sounds an interesting challenge - cats tend to do what they want and train their human to fit!!

sounds a promising start to your 10 training block.

Hard white frost, clear blue skies and sun rising brightly -couldn't be better :)

I have an early start tomorrow so I repeated yesterday's run which happened to almost coincide with Garmin's recommendations for a base run of 28 min at 13:10 pace - except I can't run that slow!

So 2.51 miles done in 30:42(12:03 m/m) with HR 128/137 - so at least I got the Garmin base rating for the run :)

Wordle in four

• Options
    some great athletics yesterday particularly from the small NZ squad (anyone who is clad in black and white gets my support :) )

However Gemma Reekie will be kicking herself for ever more - how to lose an 800m race in one easy lesson - run it 5 sec slower than you are capable of and get outkicked by a 400m runner :/
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Good that treatment was prompt and you can at least do some walking, Mick.

Nice increase in distance, TS - consistent consistency coming back!  

WP - splendid effort with the HM distance, and an encouraging pace it seems for the start of your next block.  

Same weather as TS here, much appreciated except for my legs, which decided to don the chainmail and diving boots. 12 miles done, stubbornness trumping common sense, but its nice to see it in my diary now, even though I didn't enjoy it despite the glorious conditions.

Dave
  • Options
    Dave
    chainmail and diving boots - you did remarkably well to do 12 miles with those limitations but a very good entry to the week's diary.

alehouse
    fingers crossed fpr tomorrow for you