Options

Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    super post, alehouse -  (sad though to read your observation re Dr Ron) . . .    

and, on what some would say is an "old curmudgeon" note, I'm tempted to post on my club's page, for the attention of those who "don't have time" . . .   :)   

"All the panel had full time jobs and all ran around 100 miles a week, week in week out. Consistency was mentioned a few times. And none of them stretched"   
  • Options
    I am back did you miss me :)

Great post Ale and it is the ethos we love full time jobs and 100 mile weeks a bit like Dewi Griffiths.But sad to hear about Dr Ron.

Torque: How are you doing with germs and virus?

Dave Great running with long run.

I ran every day except yesterday so 5.5,7.8,9.5,10.10 miles and lots and lots of walking.Sadly I feel Saturday on run at 4 miles missed step okay it was dark and forgot it was there as wanted to use toilet and looking if padlock on door rather than my feet.Down I went hard but no broken bones just cuts and soreness .I managed to get back running and finish the planned 10 miles, I was walking later in day but limping.Very sore and achy yesterday but it seems to be easing as I ran another 10 miles this morning.

I was glad to get home for a rest :-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    we did miss you, Poppy !   

and excellent miles logged by you - good work finishing the intended distance after a tumble - and another 10 today indicates you have recovered well :) 

Dave
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    All sounds good on the training front, WP! Just remember to keep any increases within a reasonable %! 

Feel free to quote me Birch! And you can quote Jim Alder as well: "aged 29 I went up to 20 miles a day (10 in the morning in 51-54 minutes) and 10 miles at teatime (6min mile pace with clubmates)." That of course was before he increased it to 160 miles a week! Full article here: 
    https://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/back-to-basics-34720/

66 minutes this morning very gentle with my M74 mate who was recovering from Saturday's 10k cross country on Saturday; he still ran away from me on every slight incline. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Apologies for getting a name wrong on yesterday evening's photo: Mike Baxter (28:14 10k), not Mike Turner!. Baxter still coaches in Leeds.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    alehouse
    that is a good line up of old wrinklies - and the fact that I have, together with Brendan Foster, Mike McLeod, Jim Alder, Charlie Spedding and many others, ran in the same races as them ( couldn't really say I raced against them!) makes me feel even older!!!
    The range of talent in the 60's, 70's and 80's from essentially amateur runners was amazing.  I do think the changes in working practice and demands on time have had an effect although if some devoted as much time to running as they do to Twitter accounts and Facebook etc they would be very good indeed

Welshpoppy
    was it a running holiday :)?  very good stint of running and bouncing back after a fall as well

Dave
    you could also wave your walking stick and say "In the good ol' days..............."

Bit of relief today with not quite as many coughing spasms so some progress, thanks
  • Options
    TS: I only recognised some of them from the back...
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse,
    Great post, do any of them still run?

WP,
    Well done on the mileage. You could take a day off after the fall, it is allowed.

The weather here as been awful so forced inside for my last two runs, time for some vit D I think as I haven't seen the sun for a while.
    Mick
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello all and a happy New Year.
    Been absent from RW for so long that I had to reset my password; the site wouldn't recognise my old one. So WelshPoppy, I didn't miss you, but only because I wasn't here either. 
    Sorry to hear about the lurgy, TS; acquired from the grandchildren, I suppose?
    Mick, did you succeed in selling your house?
    It has taken a very long time, but my arthritic knee seems to have recovered to the extent that it will allow me to run at least up to 7 miles without complaining (I do wear a brace on it, and avoid uneven surfaces, though it copes ok with hills). I achieved my 50th parkrun just before the end of the year. Miserably slow (if I do it in under 40 minutes I'm pleased. Over 40 minutes, and I'm not at all pleased) but invariably first in category, since there are hardly ever any others in my category. Occasionally one, but she walks it. 
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Good to hear from you Columba, and good to hear that there is improvement knee-wise. 

Mick: only Geoff Smith of the panel is running, and not sure that he is doing that much. I would like to think that I would be ahead of him at parkrun, but knowing his competitive spirit I wouldn't be putting much money on it!

And that sounds like progress, man-flu-wise, TS! Edit: I should of course be out running in the horizontal wind-driven hail rather than wasting my time posting on here!
  • Options
    Columba welcome back and glad you are running again.

Thank you I am listening to body and I did have Sunday off:-)

Dave: How is the running and weather with you? Percy pud a girl I am mentoring is also going to come if I do it,she lives in Malton.I had a slice of my christmas cake yesterday as a double digit day and it was lovely.

Torque;How on earth would youthink a running holiday :) Good news on progress with coughing fits.

Ale:Did you get out after all?

Mick: Sorry weather has been unpleasant for you.

This morning body said 2@10 milers in 4 days is enough, so a slow 6 miles nice an early I was out at 5.30am.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Columba,
    Good to see you back and still running, I thought you had run off into the sunset.
    Yes we sold the house finally. We have moved into a temporary home while we build MrsMIck6's dream home. We have a 2 acre lot in a small town on the Rideau River not far from Ottawa, very picturesque with tourist shops etc.
    We have finished the plans and have hired a builder who is in the process of getting all the permits to start in the spring, once the ground has unfrozen.
    It is a bungalow with a large finished basement, 2350 sq ft above ground and 2100 sq ft below.

There is a two car garage on the side. It is on a small estate and we have met some of the neighbours and it seems most are retired. Exciting times for us.

Alehouse,
    That is disappointing. It would have been very motivating to see them still running and posting great times.

Weather still very grey here but at least it is not snowing so plan to run from home today. The pavements are all plowed so the footing should be ok and it is only -7c with little wind.

Mick
  • Options
    Mick: Ron was running up to a year or so, but heart problems stopped him in his tracks. Talking to him on Sunday he is keen to re-start once the weather improves. I hope he does but have my doubts; he will certainly need someone with him both because of the onset of dementia and also I know he has fallen on occasion. All rather sad. Hope you manage a run from home today. And a nice little pad! Hope it all goes to plan.

WP: I had run earlier yesterday, and it was somewhat tongue in cheek that I wrote that I should be out training in the grim weather! Grim tonight on my short run; will be dry for my hour or so of exercises indoors later!
  • Options
    Columbia, good to hear from you and very good news that your knee is behaving and allowing you to run.

Mick, exciting times indeed. I admire your energy in taking on the project of planning and building a new home. 

Some sad news for me this week as I found out a young man I see every home match and chat to was killed by a car on the Strip while on holiday in Las Vegas.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    welcome back, Columba - congrats on your 50th parkrun  . .   

Graham - that really is sad  . . .  

Poppy - great weather here today - bright, dry, a bit windy, but not excessive - 3 times around my 5K loop with my "marathon mentee" chum , inc 6 x 1K at moderately increased intensity, but fairly low key. My friend was well pleased - she's not used to stuff like this :)   
    impressive 5:30 am start by you ;  be great if you do make it here for Percy - though must advise its yet another of a seemingly increasing number of races that opens online entry at a given time, ensuring a mad scramble as folks queue via their devices . . .    

Dave
  • Options
    Dave:

You will have to tip me the wink when it is open for entries as it looks a definate and where a good place to stay nearer the time.
    I had similar issue Tenby 10k which I ran last year informed me entries open Sunday so thought I could enter as I wake up in hotel but they shifted it to 11am so i was on coach.Tablet would not work so had to use phone and risk it anyway i got in .Good job I entered when I did because if I waited till i was home I would have missed it all 700 places sold by 5pm!

That sounds a good quality session well done to you and Mentee chum.

Graham That is very sad indeed........

I ran 7 miles this morning  I am going to wait till next week for speedy stuff let my body heal.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    I hope everyone has not caught my bug!!!  It's been very quiet on here for a few days - i had been feeling jealous reading about all your running

finally felt good enough to try the outdoors on a glorious frosty, sunny morning - f it had been raining I may well have left it/
    Gave the lungs a good de-coke, for those of us old enough to remember doing that to cylinder heads, as I shambled round 3.05 miles in 31:10 (10:17m/m) with avHR 134 and a max of 146.

So 2 weeks off results in avHR up 10 bpm and 25 sec/mile slower - just as well it was not a month otherwise I would have been going backwards :)

Watched the Toon smash and grab on Chelsea last night - heh, heh, heh  :) - that's the way to do it!
  • Options
    Torque:

So i can blame you for the bug i picked up on late Thursday.Two weeks that is not bad after two weeks rest.Also that you can run outside.

I ran Thursday a hill session and I was pleased it went so well for the first one post Achilles4.58 miles and climbed 590ft.
    Nothing since as I came down with bug and just feel so awful mind you past two days -3 and very icy and not above zero till 1pm.I can not see me back till tuesday hopefully.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Graham,
    The sudden death of young people is so hard to take, come to think of it so it is with wrinklies.

TS,
    Lots of bugs floating around here as well but the cold weather seems to keep the worse at bay. We don't seem to suffer as much as Brits.

WP, 
    Bugs for you too, it doesn't seem to deter you too much, must be that tough Welsh blood.

I had a choice yesterday, -16c, high wind and major snow storm or indoors.

09:56 AM Saturday, January 18, 2020
    Treadmill, 1k warm 5k threshold, 1k cool down, should have been a bit faster, HR too low at start.
    Total Non-moving Time = 0.0 secs
    Run Duration = 43:06,  Run Length = 7.02 Kms or 4.36 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:08 per Km or 09:53 per Mile, Age grade =  61.0 %
    Average Run WHR = 74.4 %,  Max Run WHR = 85.9 %
    Average Run Cadence = 87.4, Average stride length = 0.93 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:36     1.0        0.6      06:36      10:37      57.0%     68.1%      86.0       0.88
    #02     05:55     1.0        0.6      05:55      09:31      69.6%     72.6%      89.0       0.95
    #03     05:59     1.0        0.6      05:59      09:38      73.3%     76.3%      88.0       0.95
    #04     05:54     1.0        0.6      05:54      09:30      77.8%     81.5%      89.0       0.95
    #05     06:01     1.0        0.6      06:01      09:41      81.5%     83.0%      88.0       0.94
    #06     06:00     1.0        0.6      06:00      09:39      83.7%     86.7%      88.0       0.95
    #07     06:41     1.0        0.6      06:41      10:45      77.8%     84.4%      84.0       0.89
    #08     00:07     0.0        0.0      06:11      09:57      77.8%     77.8%      84.0       0.96

This was meant to be a 5k tempo but my pace was too slow to get my HR into the range quickly.

My target is 83% WHR. I got there but after 2k. I tend to overheat on the treadmill so I may do better to split it into two 3ks at a higher pace. Allow myself a chance to cool in the middle.

My daughter has challenged me again so I am entered into a 5k in Toronto in early April. So plenty of time to prepare.
    Today is supposed to be my rest day, but I had 25cm of snow to shovel off the drive. I completed it and then came along the snowplow and built a nice wall of ice along the bottom of the drive. Better than a gym workout

Mick

• Options
    Mick
    that's a big basement!  Is it the full footprint of the building?
    i am always fascinated by the construction and use of basements in N America where it seems to be standard practice.  The ground must drain a lot easier than in the UK as keeping water out here is a major problem.
    I imagine it is a timber frame construction so it should go up pretty quickly once the ground works are done.

I can see why you opted for the treddie again - tough about overheating when it's so cold outside
    Well done on your snow clearing - a good workout!!

Welshpoppy
    apologies............... :)
    I hope you shake it off soon. 
    That was some hill workout - well done.

Columba
    good to hear from you and that t he running is going relatively well.  50 parkruns are not to be sneezed at - I think I have done 5 in all - and all those AG places will do very nicely.

Did a slow 2.1 miles this morning.  Strangely it was my quads that were complaining and I certainly didn't do any sprinting yesterday!
    Bright and cold, although not Canadian cold, -2C was just right and a bit of sun toward the end. Lots of dog walkers out, a couple of whom said they had missed me during my absence so I must create an impression - a large one if the bathroom scales are anything to go by!  weight has crept back on and the stoneage now starts with a 15 again :/
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    All houses have basements to avoid the frost heave but water drainage is very manageable. There is a weeping tile that runs around the foot of the basement and feeds into a sump. A pump is there that detects the water level and pumps it into lower ground for a house not connected to the main sewer. You have to be careful where you chose to build your house though, bedrock is always close by.

It is not the full footprint as there is typically no basement under the garage.

Yes it is wood framed as most houses are. We have a lot of wood and it is cheap compared to the UK. Most of the framing is done on site apart from the roof trusses which are prefabricated.
    The basement is poured concrete which is then capped and water proofed. This is left to dry out and then the framing is added with roof. This is quick but the rest is what takes the time.
    Roofs are different here as shingles are used rather than tiles which are too heavy. We need to allow for a lot of snow sitting up there for 4 or 5 months.

15 stone is very heavy for a runner. You do incredibly well to still be running at that weight. You and I are about the same height 6' 1" but I am only 13 stone. You are the only 70+ I know who is still able to run at that weight.

6k recovery run for me on the treadmill as it is still in the deep freeze here. HR behaved despite the lack of a fan so it did creep up a bit.
    11:00 AM Monday, January 20, 2020
    Treadmill, recovey run felt good.
    Run Duration = 39:44,  Run Length = 6.07 Kms or 3.77 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:32 per Km or 10:32 per Mile, Age grade =  56.1 %
    Average Run WHR = 67.0 %,  Max Run WHR = 77.8 %
    Average Run Cadence = 85.6, Average stride length = 0.89 m

Mick
  • Options
    Mick

thanks for interesting background on construction techniques. 
    Frost heave on foundations is an obvious potential problem and the basements make a virtue of taking the foundations down deep.

I don't know whether to be pleased or depressed by your views on weightier runners :)
    I have always been at the heavy end, just under 14 stone, even when running reasonably quick times and my background in other sports, based on sprint speed and body strength, gave me a lot of muscle mass.
    Some of that has now disappeared and been replaced with superfluous solids!!
    The hypothyroidism makes it more difficult to shed weight as my metabolism has slowed down so much.  Plus I do like food and drink :p !

Maybe on your new home you should have an open annex to house your treddie so that you can run outside under cover but with fresh air access?
  • Options
    I ran the cross-country relays on Sunday. Three legs of 1.8 miles each on soft undulating ground. Nothing to write home about as my average pace was 9.11 minute miles. A little slower than last year as expected.

A runner collapsed and had to be taken by helicopter to the nearest hospital for a life-saving operation. That's the second event I've done in three years, both small ones, where someone's very nearly died at the scene.
  • Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Running heavy while young is a lot different than running heavy when over 70 as we are finding out.
    The new house has a covered deck in the rear but I still don't fancy running outside in -20c and I am not sure a treadmill could handle it.

Graham,
    I will make sure we are never in the same race.

Today was -20 something with the windchill and the footing was crap so back indoors.
    Did 3 1k intervals relatively easy and spaced them with 1k recoveries.

10:02 AM Tuesday, January 21, 2020
    Treadmill, 3x1k felt v good.
    Run Duration = 37:47,  Run Length = 6.14 Kms or 3.82 Miles
    Average Run Pace = 06:09 per Km or 09:54 per Mile, Age grade =  59.0 %
    Average Run WHR = 73.1 %,  Max Run WHR = 88.1 %
    Average Run Cadence = 87.7, Average stride length = 0.93 m

Lap  Duration   Kms      Miles    Per Km    Per Mile    AWHR     MWHR  Cadence  Slength(m)
    #01     06:32     1.0        0.6      06:32      10:31      53.3%     65.9%      86.0       0.89
    #02     05:39     1.0        0.6      05:39      09:06      71.1%     75.6%      91.0       0.97
    #03     06:26     1.0        0.6      06:26      10:21      69.6%     75.6%      86.0       0.90
    #04     05:49     1.0        0.6      05:49      09:22      80.0%     83.0%      90.0       0.96
    #05     06:33     1.0        0.6      06:33      10:32      77.8%     82.2%      85.0       0.90
    #06     05:48     1.0        0.6      05:48      09:20      85.2%     88.1%      89.0       0.97
    #07     01:01     0.1        0.1      07:17      11:43      83.7%     87.4%      83.0       0.83

Garmin has them a bit slower than the treadmill but near enough.
    HR behaved reasonably well and I didn't redline which is promising.

I would have been happier with a better recovery between.
    Cadence profile was good.

As you can see on the intervals I kept it close to 180(2x90).

Mick
  • Options
    Mick, frustrating you can't get outside but I know you must be used to it. Good treadmill session though.

No running today as I had a medical check up. Looks like I have high blood pressure, which has come out of the blue. No treatment as yet but no reason not to carry on running anyway according to the doc. Thank goodness.
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    hi folks - sorry for the absence, but back with a standard 6 mile jaunt today.

outings of varying ambience noted - cold & bright, muddy, treadmill . . .   and hope Poppy on the "up"  . . .   

traditionally I've always been a road and XC man, only ever done a handful of fell races, and those of the 5 or 6 mile type , but I've admired those who undertake these challenges, so sharing this report of my club's runners at the "Trigger" last week - an entertaining read . .   

https://www.steelcitystriders.co.uk/2020/trigger-marsden-to-edale-2020-results/   

Dave

edit - just noticed another  "smash & grab" by the Toon, TS . . .  
  • Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Since my last post I have survived a birthday. Doesn't put me in a new category, though.
    Mick - that house looks very grand. I hope Mrs. Mick is pleased; you said it's her dream house. Glad you managed to sell the other one; you were beginning to get a bit discouraged with the lack of interest, I thought.
    Gave Saturday's parkrun a miss, as it was very frosty and thought it might be cancelled on account of frozen puddles on the paths (we had a lot of rain before the frosts set in) but I ran 3 miles later in the day, from home. Younger Daughter has invited me to Bristol for the weekend, and hopefully I shall get a parkrun in there. 
    TS - yes, I do remember your interest in food. You used to post menus on the thread, and make all our mouths water.
  • Options
    Dave, unbelievable comeback!!! Madness

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Graham, I know just how the Everton fans feel - my lot were 2-1 ahead on Boxing Day, with 90+3 on the clock, and lost to Stoke !!!
  • Options
    Mick
    mmm - the added frictional resistance on the treddie due to frozen parts may be difficult to overcome :)
    Maybe the extra weight is what is affecting my quads - they are hurting!!
    You did well to do intervals on the treddie and pace them so well

Graham
    I echo Mick's comments about being in races with you!!
    I had a high blood pressure reading some years ago - when rechecked a bit later it was back to its borderline low pressure (hypotension) state.  make of that what you will................

Columba
    happy birthday :)
    Enjoy Bristol

unfortunately the fine dining club that we were members of in the Lakes has been wound up due to the organiser's husband developing severe Parkinsons.  We still meet up with friends for similar dining experiences but it is more informally organised - the food is still good though!

Dave
    nice jaunt!

I read your link. 25 miles at this time of year up on the hills....................................... :/
    I did the Lyke Wake Walk a few times when much younger and the mental effort of trying to focus on map reading after 30+ miles of physical strength and mental sapping bog even in summer persuaded me not to do it again... :)
    I did think about trying the Bob Graham Round about 10 years ago when I was getting really fit again but fortunately injury intervened.

In the immortal words of KK - "don't you just love it"  :):)
    I don't know how Bruce has done it but the sheer team effort in game after game is a sight to behold in a team that did not display such resilience for many years.

Hash last evening - hard work running 4.4 miles even with a little break in the middle.

Refreshed by beer and sausage sandwiches afterwards but 2.5 miles this morning left my quads shredded.

This is a very strange muscle reaction - I have never experienced such a reaction in my quads even after very hard fast interval sessions. Walking down stairs is an exercise in holding onto the handrail !!