Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Nice souvenir JCG. Good sign if 15M felt good.
    Sounds interesting Spoons. Cheers for posting the link. Enjoyed your blog too.
    Wolverton 5 is a good shout Phil. Remember some folk doing it last year from another forum & yes it's a strong field for sure.
    Good luck AWC (go for it) & NE in your HMs & Reg in Italy.
    I'm back up in the Lakes this w/e for a refreshing dip across Windermere, followed by a jaunt on the bike taking in half a dozen climbs then a HM up to the summit of Fairfield. Should be fun as weather looking OK :)
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice work making into the GWR book JCG and Joe. Immortalized now. That's definitely one to keep and show to people when you're old.

dct - Shame you're not running, it's funny how life gets in the way. Hope the family are well.

Spoons - Meant to say before that I liked your blog, great report. Great to see your nephew getting into it too. Generally a very slick site too. I think the best thing is that you use kms. Will have to catch up on that Breaking2 documentary when I have time.

Sounds like a great weekend Jools.

No running for me today. Just chilling (without weed). Probably do a very short easy run tomorrow before Windsor half on Sunday.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Morning all.

JCG and Joe are famous! World record holders both and in the book to prove it. :)  

Looking like a great weekend ahead Jools.

Feet up time HA! Expecting a huge run from you on Sunday. Obviously it depends who turns up on the day but Is a win a possibility based on previous years results?

Had a go at the HA "Hour of Power" session at 4:30 this morning. It went reasonably well and I Managed 10.11 miles in the hour. Certainly a tough workout but one Id like to have a go at again pretty soon.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Friday (with or without the weed! ;) )
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Cracking "Hour of Power" Tom, especially at that time.

Kojo Kyereme has won the Windsor half the past few years in about 67min but he's running in Berlin on Sunday. Last year second place was 71 and the year before it was 72 so I guess it's a possibility. With £500 for first place, I wouldn't be surprised if some good runners were there for some pot hunting though. Can't really worry too much about that and will just be thinking about running a good time. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the Breaking 2 link, Spoons

Very impressive Hour of Power at 4.30am, Tom. Must try it at some point.

A very sudden and reasonably stressful house moving process is properly kicking off for me and the family this weekend. Due to an incredible degree of inflexibility of our buyer we are out of our house on Monday, then homeless until a rental on Friday, before moving into a new build in six months' time. So lots of opportunities for deadlifting sofas and fridges... So decided on a Tom-esque 4:55am alarm call to squeeze in 20M before work. 3C whilst driving in, pleased I made a last second decision on leggings. Very marginally progressive effort and just got back in time for a shower pre work. Past Spoons taking a photo, unfortunately I must look very unsightly - I didn't make his strava cut ;) Put some RockTape on the calf and hammy. Calf fine whilst running, hammy a bi noticeable, but I hope an easier few days of running will help.

• Options

Good luck in the tri Jooligan, and indeed to HA, Reg, and anyone else racing this weekend.

Thanks HA yes my nephew running his first race, and most importantly really enjoying it and wanting to do more, was as big a highlight as my PB!

Nice work on the hour of power Tom.

SQ you were simply too fast for my camera to capture… ;) Hope the move goes smoothly.

A beautiful misty morning here in Worcester, although chilly as SQ notes. While we’re on the subject of interesting links, I came across Kichoge’s training log for the build-up to Berlin: http://www.sweatelite.co/eliud-kipchoge-full-training-log-leading-marathon-world-record-attempt/. Very interesting, plenty of what look like medium-longs and some very big "tempo" runs. And as usual Letsrun.com have a great preview for Berlin: http://www.letsrun.com/news/2017/09/2017-berlin-marathon-mens-preview-kipchoge-vs-bekele-vs-kipsang-breaks-wr-much/

• Options
    Really enjoyed reading the blog Spoons. Especially the impressive progression in your training and PBs. Definitely supports the saying that there's no substitute for hard work. You have put in some amazing mileage.

AWC, good luck at the Solent Half. I should be doing it as part of the league season but have an early birthday do on Saturday so will give it a miss.

SQ, Tom, a couple of tough sessions there. I'll definitely have a go at the hour of power at some point. Trying to rally a few club mates to do some Thursday night tempo ish stuff.

Good luck to all those racing at the weekend, Reg, HA, Jools (not sure if you said you were but I take it as a given now)

John, I like to try and do my last long run as a progression run. First 6 easy, second 6 a bit faster, next 6 build up to MP and then try and hold MP for the last 3.

I've just been ticking along this week trying to ge the legs moving again. Have the weekly 5x1k session tonight so will give it a go.
    I've also been asked by a friend to pace them at the upcoming Autumn 100. Not sure I can keep up for the full final 50 miles so will probably just do the last 25.
    I notice that Macca is on the entry list so may see you there!
  • Options
    Well done JCG and joe on making the GBWR - can you post a photo?

Nice run Tom and SQ. 

Just watched the Breaking2 doco, really well crafted and exciting, much more than watching it live. Enjoyed the insights into the lives of the 3 as well. 

Thanks Millsy, will go for the progressive. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to watching this Breaking2 doc. I really enjoyed the build up and getting up early for the attempt so excited to see this.

Spoon: Also buzzing for Berlin on Sunday and it should be a brilliant race - I can't watch it live due to my HM but I've got it on record so will watch it later.

John/Millsy: interesting take on the final long run - I was thinking about it myself this week and whether I should just go out and jog round 22 miles as usual or do it a bit more progressively so I might do what you suggest and try and finish around MP to see how it feels without totally emptying the tank.

Tom: your early morning (middle of the night?!) runs continue to inspiure and astound in equal measure. Brilliant work - you are running well at the moment!

SQ: good luck with the move - plenty of S&C work involved in one of those! Hope it doesn't take too much out of you.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Hope you all go really well!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the Berlin marathon tomorrow morning, it should be an exciting race with a possible world record. I always find these races offer good inspiration.  
    Does anyone else suffer with sore legs for a few days after a VO2 interval session? It took til 3 days to recover from Wednesdays run although it was the first speed session for a while. Hopefully it won't take as long next time! 
    I did 16 miles this afternoon at 6.45 Pace which felt comfortable until the last 3 miles when I had to focus more on form.  Really pleased though as it's my longest run for a while.
  • Options
    Just a quick check in to say thanks for the good lucks. It went pretty well. Course was long but still managed 9:48. Marathon was s struggle at times and could only manage 3:28.
  • Options
    Reg - well done, not sure how that ranks in your IM performances but under 10 hours is impressive when so you have to get so many things right over such a long time. 3:28 is still a great marathon time when you consider I only managed a 3:31 at Boston! Get plenty of rest to give your legs recovery, anything else coming up soon?

Philip - solid LR at a great pace, hope that means your injury was nothing to worry about. In P&D there are often MLRs the day after a VO2 max session and I usually take these a bit easier without any issues. Maybe being back on your feet helps with recovery so you could try a slow jog to loosen up the legs. 

Went for my last LR and the conditions were tough - 29C and 30km/h winds on the hottest day since last summer. Managed 21 miles with last 5ish at MP effort but pace was off by about 15s/mile. Would have been a confidence booster to hit MP but happy with a tough workout. Also probably didn't help that I did a parkrun yesterday @MP to break in the new marathon shoes - sticking with the Adidas Boston 6 if anyone is wondering!

Good luck again to anyone else racing and now to put my legs up and watch Berlin. 
  • Options
    Well done Reg, still an impressive time and massive pb. Still, I know it's hard not to beat yourself up a little when you want a bit more as I've been there myself.
    Good luck with the recovery!!! 

The only time I've ran long in very hot weather John was Ironman Austria and it was brutal. Nice one on getting the session finished!
  • Options
    Well done Reg, that's a great time. Enjoy your well earned rest. 
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Well done Reg. Fantastic effort and a great time. Recover well and then you can focus on getting ready to run that championship qualifying time at abo.
  • Options
    Well done Reg. Obviously in awe of the whole thing but that bike time/speed  :o 

Good luck the rest of this weekends racers.

Millsy - if you're pacing your fast mate I doubt I'll see you :)  Any idea on your predicted finish time ? Could be quite a lot of nighttime running for me at least.
  • Options

Thanks Millsy yes I think I’m a good example of “mileage is king” :)

Nice long run Philip.

Great work Reg, triathlon organisers seem to have a very lax attitude to distances at times from what I’ve seen!

Well done on a tough long run JohnOz, might have been slower than you liked but I’m sure it had a great training effect.

I had my final track session before Oxford yesterday, 2x1600m and 4x1200m. Pfitzinger says 81-84s per lap for my 10K time, I put in a first 1600m in 5:31 but then faded a little. Averaged 84.5s a lap, but it was quite breezy on the home straight so given that and the mileage in my legs this week I’m fairly happy. 

It was then time for my final big long run this morning. Got up before sunrise so I’d be back in time for Berlin. 18 miles averaging 6:57/mi, could definitely feel yesterday in my legs so happy enough with that.

Enjoying Berlin so far - the weather looks like it might have put paid to a big WR, but they might still manage a small one. Disappointing to see Bekele off the pack already though.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done Reg! Great work

No half marathon for me today - woke up at 12am vomiting. My race jinx strikes again! That's 2 marathons and 2 halfs in the last year I've been sick for now!
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Sheez AWC that's a real bugger. Hope you recover soon. No reason you can't still be in top condition for the main event in 4 weeks.

Great work Reg. Very impressive. I'm looking forward to hearing about it in more detail.

Decent race for me today. Managed 72:35 so not under 72 as hoped. Struggled from miles 7-10 and lost 3rd position for a while but pulled it together and finished strongly enough to claw back the place for a podium finish. Won £250, a pair of Hokas and and box full of various nut buttets and nut bars so can't complain. Even though it wasn't sub 72 it was still 50s faster than in Coventry in March on a hillier course so overall pretty happy.
  • Options
    Well done HA, good result and a bloody good prize. I got absolutely nothing for second at my half marathon! 
  • Options
    Great results Reg and HA.  Different class from me..  and no heroics. Plan was to enjoy running with an old mate I see rarely (as he lives overseas)... and try to help him to a 21st century pb of 1.45.   I'd forgotten how competitive he is... and he ended up leaving me from about half way! He actually dragged me along to do pretty much a 99% effort race even so, I could only manage a few seconds under 1.44.   I can point to a course that's a bit more undulating than Chester marathon... and to quite a bit of red wine the night before, but sub-3:30 in two weeks time looks very challenging now!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Bad luck AWC! Hope you feel better soon.

NE-put it down to the red wine and remember it's all good training for Chester.

HA-quality running and a very nice prize for the podium finish-congratulations! How are the legs today?

Like Spoons I got out for an 18 miler (6:38 m/m avg) before breakfast yesterday and then watched a fascinating if slightly anti climatic Berlin Marathon.

A 7 mile jog this morning. 
  • Options
    Morning all! Sorry I've fallen off the radar. Work was busy the week after ironman and I was then in Italy for a week taking in the delights of Lake Garda and eating far too much pizza and ice cream.

Having a huge read back currently, won't try and respond to all, but stand out performances include;

Spoons - incredible run in the Worcester 10km. Signs definitely suggesting that a sub-80 is on. Your running really is going from strength to strength. 

Congrats on the podium in Rutland SQ. 

Millsy - fantastic result over 50 miles - I'm always amazed at your ability to be able to constantly churn out great results over these long distances.

HA - absolute haul of prizes there, and a smoking fast time to boot. I think you're going to absolutely fly @ Abingdon. What do you reckon yesterdays effort was worth on a flat course? When did you retake the other guy for 3rd?

Reg - absolutely brilliant performance mate. I was sitting having a beer in the sun in Milan tracking you for most of the day. That swim-bike is a lightning fast combo, and you held it together well on the run, especially considering all your injury problems in the build up. The standard in your age group was so high!

As mentioned, back from Italy. Saturday we went to Milan parkrun, managed to take 1st place and Katie was 4th overall and 1st female. Kept looking behind me as loved the idea of us finishing together at the front but unfortunately she was caught by a couple of chaps around 3km in. 

Amsterdam marathon in 3 weeks. Better start running and lose all the weight I've put on in the past 2 weeks!

• Options
    Great placing and time HA. I would imagine the marginal gains at 72 mins to be so fine that 50s quicker than Cov is a great result.

AWC - that run of bad luck has to end soon. Hopefully a 24hr illness although you might feel weak for a few days.

NE - dont under estimate the power of alcohol pre race - I have before, never again.

Cracking LRs Tom and Spoons.  Spoons, your total ave was just about the same as the MP section of my LR last night and I was quite pleased with that ;)
  • Options
    Hope you're feeling better AWC - are you eating something in the lead up to the races that's making you ill?? 

Great podium finish HA, great prizes! 

Blame the wine NE, nasty stuff (caveat: I am fully allergic to wine and it would genuinely ruin a race if I had any the night before). 

Another 20 in the bank for me yesterday and a total of 60 miles for the week. I feel surprisingly ok for the increased mileage, now just one last big week for me before the taper begins. I'm going to try squeeze 65 in, but have some teaching and travelling to do this week so will see. 
  • Options
    Just catching up on some great running/racing!
    Muddy - Yes, doing the Birmingham marathon.
    HA/AWC - Thanks, I'll stick with the 55 plan and just extend some of the runs to make it 60 ish miles.
    NE - Great MP run.
    Millsy - Congrats on the ultra. Only 18 to go is a great ultra running thing to say. I remember my GF laughing when I said I only had a HM to go at my last ultra!!
    Reg - That's a great time, congrats.
    SQ / HA - Great HM times and podium finishes!

Still ticking along here, my biggest weekly mileage since the ultra last week with about 40 odd miles. Decided to stick the MLR next to my long run as a back to back on the weekend to hopefully boost performance given my lack of specific training for this marathon, so 15 miles Saturday and 12 on Sunday.

Enjoyed Berlin marathon, pity no WR, but a great debut from the second placed guy!!
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well it's been a busy & largely successful week for the thread by the look of things though sorry to hear your race was aborted before you'd begun AWC. Fingers crossed it's just a 24hr bug & you can continue the marathon build-up.
    Welcome back Joe. Strava showed you were having fun.
    Awesome racing from Reg & HA
    Solid performance for a training HM NE.
    Quality LRs from Spoons, Tom & JCG too.
    I had a busy w/e myself.
    Gifford's Circus Friday night which was far less relaxing than hoped for as due to car problems (not mine) we arrived as the show was starting & had to stand throughout! We then arrived home much later than anticipated as had to recover the other car en route then finish packing. Great performance though but not the pre-race rest I needed.
    Saturday was a 6:30 start as planned to do Walsall Arboretum parkrun en route to the Lakes. Arrived in time for a decent warm-up & shed some weight. It's a flattish tarmac 3 lap course so I was hoping for a reasonable time (sub-20) but surpassed my expectations with 19:10 & 7th place of 411, first in AG  B) The drive up went really well & spent the afternoon walking round Kendal before heading to registration at Wateredge, Ambleside. Met up with a couple of guys from Preston Tri & had dinner + a few pints of Guinness before a very disturbed night's sleep.
    Sunday dawned mild, slightly overcast & calm. Racked the bike & laid out the essential race kit including a flask of coffee for T1 & T2 then it was into Windermere at 7:55 for an 8am washing machine session. Unusually for me I started in the middle of the throng & at the back so found myself swimming over people & into thrashing feet for a few 100 yds before the crowd thinned out. Had a really comfortable swim thereafter managing the 2,200yds in 39 minutes flat. Faffed a bit in T1 the smashed the 56M bike (& my legs) in 4:25 including a stop as we passed transition to change glasses: I'd optimistically opted for shades as there were some patches of blue sky but under the trees it was too dark to see any lurking potholes. T2 was a shorter affair then I set off to jog up to Fairfield via Rydal, Heron Pike, Great Rigg & Nab Scar. Just over 3hrs for a HM with over 1,000m of climb is a bit slow but I couldn't have done much more. Finished in 8:18:17 for 24th place, 23 minutes quicker than last year :) Rounded off the w/e with a refuelling pint of the black stuff before the 4hr drive home.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Jools - Noticed that sneeky race on Strava. Cracking stuff, mad as usually. Great work on the parkrun time too.

That's still a decent time NE. I think I'd really struggle to race nowadays with any sort of hangover.

Phil - You'll have to make the trip down to Windsor next year for some pot hunting. I would've thought you'd get something. In March I got a £15 Argos voucher for 2nd at the Cov half, better than nothing but made me wonder why they bothered.

Nice LRs Tom, Spoon and JCG. All looking to be going well.

Tom - was out for an easy 7 miles today (dropped off to bank the cheque) and the legs feel pretty good. Only mildly sore to start with but surprisingly springy.

Joe - Glad you had a good holiday. Looked like some great runs, rides and hikes on Strava. Not sure about the time due to hills yesterday but I would guess the 250m (833ft) of climb is worth at least 1 minute. I got back into 3rd with about 1.5 miles to go. The last mile is along the Long Walk, so dead straight and seemed to go on forever with the finish gantry never getting closer. A real killer. I'll put up a race report on the blog soon. How's your latest novel coming on?
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Meant to ask also if anyone runs in or has run in Hokas? I need to decide which model to get. I was thinking of the Claytons but am unsure.