Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    How do you know this Reg? Can we track him?
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    https://resultsbase.net/results/2068851

Yes you can track, it doesn't provide puncture information, you need FB for that.
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Reg - I'm not surprised you felt a bit wobbly, I'd be like that after 5 hours without eating without even doing any training. Sounds like a decent ride though and nice long run.

Speedy 18 again Tom, things seem to be going very well for you so far.

Glad you got to enjoy the '10k' with your Dad RSR, can imagine almost an extra mile added on to your race wouldn't have been nice. Nice mileage too.

Sounds like a lot of bad luck for Joe, guess that's the downside of cycling - so many variables outwith your control. Hopefully the run went well.

Edit: Just saw the results - brilliant run Joe! Well done.

HA - 23 mile hard double training day - epic stuff!

Epic stuff from yourself also Jooligan last weekend.

Hope the racing went well JCG and JohnOz.

Week 4 complete:

Week No.  1 2 3 4
    No. of Runs 8 9 9 7
    Miles 72 88 87 70
    Ave pace (min/mile) 07:19 07:15 07:03 07:07
    Aerobic Efficiency (bts/mile, Ave) 1049 1033 1010 985
    Long Run (distance & pace) 16 miles @ 7:34's 18 miles @ 7:15's 19 miles @ 7:10's 20 miles @ 7:07's

This week didn't quite go to plan due to a number of reasons. Mainly due to our car coolant system failing spectacularly on Tuesday but also with my wife's birthday on Friday and my son's 2nd birthday yesterday I knew training would be a challenge. Most of the training during the week revolved around getting to work (25 miles each way) so pulled the bike out Thursday and Friday and also managed a couple of runs to get the train on Wednesday and Friday afternoon. Managed to squeeze in my long run on Saturday but didn't get out at all yesterday. No quality sessions at all but still a good volume and pleasing to see the aerobic efficiency still coming down.

I've entered a 5,000m race on Friday but not in any shape for it. Have decided just to train through to it with a very mild taper and see what happens.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice progression there Alan. It's interesting that you look at beats per mile. Do you find it reliable?

I think I'd find some variation based on the temperature etc. My long run this weekend when it was nice and cool was 1017 but the marathon I did in Wales, where it was warm, was 1156! I also had a cold and had ridden 112 miles the day before and the longer run would expose me to more HR drift. I guess if your training is consistent then it becomes more reliable.

It was a great run by Joe.
  • Options
    AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    I do find it quite reliable Reg, it reflects when I am at peak performance and equally it has warned me when things aren't going well. Looking at last autumn's marathon training for example it showed I had got in to great form in the middle of the programme, getting down to 930'ish bts/mile which was reflected by a comfortable 2:46 training marathon in August. And then if I had been paying attention I would have noticed that it then slowly crept up over the next 6 weeks back over 1000 bts/mile just before Frankfurt, which seems to highlight that I was over-trained by the time I got to the start line and that showed in the result.
    I agree there are many variables and I definitely see that run to run but averaging it out over the week tends to smooth out that issue and keeping the training fairly consistent also helps. Any unexplained spikes can also be used as an early warning system that something is up (illness etc).
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Tom - Nice long run, looks very promising for Abdo!
    Reg - Likewise nice run and bike session. Not surprised you bonked after 5 hours!!

Clocked 80 miles for the first time ever last week, and first time over 70 to! 37.2 miles (60k) on Saturday at an average pace of 9:08 min/miles, where I clocked an unofficial 50k PB (4:48), although that's on the flat rather than a hilly course! Really strange as the first 5 miles were slow and felt tough, but got to 6 miles and had my planned walk break to eat and drink for 0.5 miles and after that everything felt better! Was meant to run 35 miles but upped it to get to 60k, felt strong after the first 5 miles, got caught in a really bad downpour at about 35 miles and was soaked when I got home....shoes were still drying this morning!! Then went out Sunday for another 15 miles, but rounded that to 15.6 so that I could hit 80 miles for the week, legs felt surprisingly good and averaged 8:29 min/miles.

Tapering starts now.....that might be worse than the training!!
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Joe - really bad luck on the bike and I can understand your disappointment as physically and mentally you were in the best shape ever, only to be thwarted by factors outside of your control. The run was still fantastic considering what you had gone through so well done. You may not have got the time to show for it but am sure that all the training will still pay off for you at IM Wales.

Spoons - great run at what sounds like a great event, surprised it was so far out though, we're not talking a few metres! Is it the first year they've run it?

Reg - epic ride and it's good to test your limits! When I ran 24 miles fasted at around 7.15m/m without any water or gels, I definitely got a weird tingly feeling in my fingers, not something I want to try again.

AlanB - nicely improving every week. Good luck in the 5000m, it will be a good benchmark of fitness.

1SteveMac - enjoy the taper, that's a massive week to finish up on and after your recent race you must have bags of confidence.

HA77 - good to see you back to the effective big double days, things must be getting serious!

Last week was a recovery for me but still managed over 60 miles and a very hilly LR (16 miles with 2500ft). Now into the start of the 12 week plan and this week I should hit close to 80 miles, which would be a record. LT workout this morning of 5 miles @ 6:24m/m which is about where I need to be and didn't look at the watch so felt about the right effort as well. Not looking forward to the twice a week MLRs though, will mean getting up before 5am on work days whilst it is freezing here :o
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Unlucky Joe - but what a great overall performance when you were moving, fantastic run you were quicker than the overall race winner. 
    Some very early noshing, massive runs/ cycles and great training going on...putting in their place my 75 miles for the week (2nd highest in 10 years ) but that's the new standard now.  Taken on board some learning from this thread LSR now being run 15% slower than hoped for MP. 
    Interesting stuff AB.

• Options
    Hey all. Sorry about my lack of update after Sunday. It was all go after the race, had to drive back to London that evening before jumping on a flight to Montreal yesterday lunchtime for a work trip - here now and trying to stave off the jetlag/sore legs.

As you've already established, not my day on Sunday, but after a short period of reflection I'm proud of the way I handled it. I'll write a full report on the blog over the next couple of days, but in essence this is how it went down;

Swim - Things didn't go my way from the start. It was raining and cold, and I can't say I was particularly motivated which was odd. Set off at a good pace, but within 2 minutes the back of my wet suit had come undone! I stopped to fasten it up, but it seems as if the velcro has pretty much given up the ghost. I stopped 4/5 times to try and fix it, each time getting swam over and knocked all over the place. No luck, so I swam the entire swim with water flooding in and down the back of my suit - not ideal. All things considered, a 1.08 was very pleasing, and I know I can go faster than that now.

Bike - I knew something wasn't right during the second half of the swim, I felt dizzy and disorientated. Think I just must've been too cold, as I shivered my way through transition, and on the opening mile of the bike couldn't really see straight, my eyes were going all blurry. Hoped it would pass, but within 2 miles of transition my heart sank; my rear wheel was flat. 

I just couldn't believe it. I hadn't had a flat for months. I stopped, struggling to change the tube as my hands were still so cold. I checked the inside of the tyre for anything that could've caused it but found nothing. I hoped it'd only cost me 10 minutes at most and was back on my way, but two more complete flats within 15 miles meant my day was over. By now I'd run out of spare inner tubes and CO2 cartridges, so just stood at the side of the road looking helpless. Thankfully, everyone was so kind, donating spare tubes and cartridges which allowed me to keep limping forward until I could find a mechanic.

This went on until mile 51, where after 30 minutes there I had a new tyre on the rear wheel, and after that point had no more problems. However, by this point I'd lost about 90 minutes and it was game over. In the opening 50 miles, I thought on multiple occasions of just packing it in, getting warm and going home, telling myself there was nothing to gain now, the day is over.

Into the second half of the bike, I was so angry, and taking it out on the bike, trying to ride as fast as I could. Bad move, as I ended up overcooking a bend and crashing into a hedge. Completely my own fault, and I thought for a few seconds that I could just lie here and not bother getting back on - I was strangely comfy. Obviously that was ridiculous and got back on, thankfully with no damage to the bike. The last 20 miles were tough as I just wanted it to be over, and my power started dropping alongside my moral and desire to push. 

Rolling into transition my family and friends were cheering but I just shook my head, completely disconsolate. 6 hours 40 on the bike was a long, long way off my 5 hour target.

Run - I'd had a lot of time to think about the run during the bike. I considered just jogging around, meaning recovery would be much quicker and I could get back into training straight away, but I knew that wasn't my style. I wanted to run hard and prove to myself the fitness was there and I could've done well had it of been my day. 

Coming to the end of the first lap of the lake, I saw Katie for the first time. I spotted her from quite a way away and knew I was in trouble, as the emotion had already been simmering under the surface. As I approached her, I completely broke down, telling her how devastated I was and how unfair things could be. I didn't stop though, so quite comically was running sub 7 minute miling and sobbing like a little girl; I felt bad for her afterwards as she was then left standing there understandably quite worried about my current mental state. I can't imagine what all the other people I saw immediately afterwards thought - they were cheering everyone on - this strange chap was just running past balling his eyes out - must've been a right sight. 

After this I pulled myself together and gave myself a bit of a talking to. What was good was that I was overtaking absolutely everyone. I went through the half marathon in 1.31, feeling pretty good. The inevitable slow down happened in the second half as it really started to hurt, especially in the last 10km, which was hell, but still clocked a 3.10 marathon for I think the 8th fastest run of the day. I think had there been more to play for, I definitely would've been able to dig much deeper, but didn't have the desire/drive to at that stage. Overtook 407 people on the run, and wasn't overtaken by one. I suppose this also didn't include others that I passed that were on later laps, so that really was a massive morale boost at the time.

There is a nice video of me crossing the line on facebook (feel free to add me - Joe Spraggins). 11 hours and 8 minutes is nowhere near what I wanted. But I realised in the last 10km how bloody hard that distance is, and I'm proud to be a 2 x iron distance finisher. During the run I was thinking I'm not even going to bother with Wales, but now the dust has settled, I'll obviously be there in 6 and a half weeks time. Hopefully there'll be some form of redemption to be had.

Thanks so much for all the support/interest from everyone on here. As always, great to share the journey with you. A bit of recovery this week before thinking about a plan of action.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Wow Joe that's an incredibly honest and moving post. I think you did amazing to smash out a 3:10 marathon after the swim and cycle you had - that really shows the guts and determination you possess. Your training is always an inspiration and its disappointing for us to not see you get what you deserve but its only a matter of time before you get the result you want.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Joe - Great mental strength to continue on the bike with all the bad luck surrounding the punctures, would have been easy to give up and then to smash out a 3:10 marathon (my PB! :D) Anyway, well done and yeah go smash IM Wales in 6 weeks, you know the fitness is there!!!

John - 60 miles in a recovery week is impressive!! Yeah, the last 2 weeks have given me a good confidence boost ahead of the 100k. I know I've put the training in, so confident in myself now....well until taper madness sets in :D:D

Easy 4 mile recovery today!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    A typically candid report Joe, I'd have probably left the crying out of mine so kudos to you :) I have to admit to laughing when I got to the bit about crashing into a hedge. I am sure you will be laughing in the future too when you think back to it with a string of sub 10 IM's to your name. I am also confident that you will use this experience positively in future races.

75 miles is a big week OO, more than I've ever done.

Impressive mileage from John too and good LT run, things look promising.

Steve - another impressive week there, I can only dream of 80 miles in a week.

Slow start to the week for me, just a cycle commute and a run with a few strides at lunch. I did go for a swim but when I got to the gym the pool was empty!
  • Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Performance Joe-took real heart to guts it out in those circumstances! An inspirational and very moving report-thanks for sharing. That was some effort running a marathon in that time after what you had to endure beforehand. Recover well mate and take all the positives moving forward.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Commiserations Joe. That is seriously bad luck on the bike. Still a good time & a demonstration of mental fortitude in adversity. Another friend of mine had a similarly awful tale of misadventure on the Outlaw bike. His rear mech broke so he was left to ride 80K in a single 39/13 gear for the remainder with the chain breaking & locking up multiple times til eventually he ran the last 3K carrying it to make it in just before the cut off! Recover properly then come back strong for Tenby.
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Good effort Stevemac... that sounds an amazing pace to me.  Enjoy the taper. I got a leaking toilet fixed yesterday - a sure sign that my taper is going to plan.

Joe... big respect.

• Options

Nice work fitting in the mileage around everything going on AlanB. I keep an eye on beats per mile too since I saw Steve Way use it. Like you, I find the weekly average a good general indicator of where I am fitness wise.

Solid mileage there SteveMac, and congrats on the 50K PB.

JohnOz - No the 3rd year I think! The path around the racecourse is almost exactly 2 miles, but they complicated things by trying to have the start/finish the same for the 5K and 10K. I’m not really fussed but they haven’t even acknowledged the issue which is a bit weird. Nice LT run.

Joe - so unfair after all the effort you put in to training. You should be very proud of how you coped with it - I’m almost certain I would have thrown in the towel! Glad you’re already looking towards IM Wales. I hope you get the result you deserve there.

I had the first proper LT session of my plan this morning, in the pouring rain. Pfitzinger splits these sessions up in Faster Road Racing, rather than the non-stop slogs in Advanced Marathoning. 20 mins at 6:31/mi, 4 mins recovery, then 16 mins at 6:29/mi. Reasonably happy with that pace as I’ve run 88 miles in the past 7 days, and over 40 already this week after that session! I was pleased the second effort was a touch faster - I was concerned I would fade.

I’m off to the Isle of Wight for a long weekend tomorrow - anyone have any experience of good routes? We’re staying near Ryde. Currently I’m just planning to find the sea and follow as best I can. Forecast is looking rather windy unfortunately... :(

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    NE - Thanks! Glad the taper is going well. Good luck this weekend!
    Reg - Thanks, I can only dream of running the pace you run at though!

8 easy miles this morning, but legs felt heavy.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Off to a solid start there Spoons, paces appear from memory to be a good step up from when you started the marathon plan last time round?

Steve - It's all relative isn't it. I just had a crack at HA's Mona fartlek session and I was obviously well short of his paces, especially in the floaty bits. I did 9.5 miles in total including a 5k tempo at 6:00 pace on the Maidenhead PR course, which was crap as I was ducking under branches and slipping on the mud, I even had to jump over a dog so I suspect I'd have knocked out 5:50 elsewhere. Then for the fartlek bits I suspect it was around 5:25 pace on average with some reps at 5:00 and some 5:3x.

It's a tough old session and much harder than had I just run 9.5 miles at 6:40 pace without all the complicated crap in between :)

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Love catching up on all the great running you folks are doing.

Joe - great run! Such a shame that the swim and bike didn't go your way after all the training you must have put in. A real tough day at the office!!

Final taper week for me. Going stir crazy. Weather forecast is looking bad - rain from tomorrow onwards. I can cope with rain but my concern is getting wet feet early on and then blisters. Hopefully the weather front will pass sooner.

I've also been geeking out in the extreme, looking at my diary from P & D in 2013 in comparison with now. Read in the book that MP and LT pace are not that far apart - there's no way the pace I'm running at is anywhere near, probably more like a minute slower! 
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. My first post on the autumn thread. A manically busy end of term trying to do two jobs at once and then a two week rugby tour has seen me absent from the forum. Just had a catch up - already some incredible feats recorded!

Joe your tri sound so incredibly tough, and unlucky. Well done for hitting the run hard. 

Spoons back to the massive mileage and good to see quality in there too. 

Alan that is really interesting to look at beats per mile. Does that require training in consistent terrain? I imagine hills and buggy running would mess it up for me. 

I'm in for Abo - looking to enjoy a low key event and hopefully back home for a late lunch. A 2:52 would be incredible, but whatever happens I don't want to set out too fast as in London. 

The school rugby tour tour was great fun - a kind exchange rate meant we stayed in some incredible hotels in Sri Lanka. The wildlife and scenery was spectacular. I found a nature reserve in Kandy with a 2M loop that enabled traffic free running, although I was chased by a boar and bitten by a monkey. Thereafter there were some beautiful beach runs, although blimey sand is hard work. Unfortunately 31/43 boys got salmonella and so quite a few of the matches were cancelled. 

Singapore was a clean and impressive haven in comparison. Running around the Marina Bay was stunning. So many footpaths all surrounded by amazing architecture. Incredible to think it was all sea on a few years ago. Managed to get to the East Coast Park parkrun for my first bit of foreign tourism. 85% effort for 19:10 and fourth place. 31C in the taxi at 6:45am and hotter by the start (7:30am). The heat definitely takes it out of me. Still, should be acclimatised pre Abo if it's a bit warm! 

Slowly back into it now. Did a Steve Way session yesterday including 24, 12, 8 mins at roughly MP effort. As Spoons says, nice to do it on time with breaks. 

Look forward to popping into the forum more regularly now
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Reg - Yeah, there is always someone faster than you! Well done on the session though, even the dog jump!!
    SQ - That's a great time in Singapore. It was an effort to walk around over there when I visited let alone run!!

Anyway 6 miles this morning with 2m at LT pace (6:23/6:13) my quickest 2 miles at LT pace during ultra training, so something is going in the right direction! Legs felt better today, need to keep foam rolling though!
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Low pressures, strong winds and rain all over the place... but  it's beginning to look like tonight one depression will head north and another heads south to create a nice little weather window over north-west Wales to cover the 24hrs of the race before a deluge on Sunday.  The sun shines on the righteous. I must be running against some nice people. 

Just packing my kit... not nervous.  I'm in some strange state of denial.... no real idea what is about to hit me, but quite intrigued and a bit excited.  Hope you all have a good weekend too.  
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Best of luck NE. Be prepared for anything!

Playing catch up so did my seconds Steve Way session this morning. Warm up, 3 x 15 minute efforts at 6:21 pace, then 4M around Chester Walls with the wife. Hard work but enjoyable running by time again. 
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just popping my head in to see how everyone is getting on and it looks like some decent training and racing going on.
    JB - bad luck with all those punctures. Don't think I've had 5 in my lifetime! Still a great run when it must be really hard to pick things back up.
    SQ- Sounds like a great trip. have to say I did laugh out loud when I read the bit about being bitten by a monkey. Sorry.
    HA-Reg, enjoying following the Mona fartlek sessions. 2 guys from my club have also started doing them on a Thursday so I may join in in a couple of weeks.
    Steve- well done on the 50k time. Sounds like a tough course if sub 6 is classed as elite.
    NE- All the best for your race this weekend. I always get nervous when it's time to pack kit. Usually hoping I won't have to use any of it.

Been really busy with work here and seem to be caught up in a cycle of race, recover, 2 week build, taper, race again. Not really P&D based but trying to average 50-60 miles a week with a couple of sessions in the week.
    I've got the Dorset Invader marathon tomorrow but probably won't be going flat out. Aiming to run it at a decent pace with a clubmate as we are both targeting longer A races next month.

Good luck at the NDW 100 Macca! I will be following the tracker intensely as one of my oldest mates is one of the favourites.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    NE: good luck and fingers crossed for the weather. Hope everything goes to plan! Looking forward to hearing all about it. 
  • Options
    Joe your report nearly made me cry too - I'm so impressed with how you handled yourself. Run crying is especially difficult, it should be a sport in itself.

Good luck NE and Millsy this weekend. Hope it doesn't rain, and if it does at least you won't get bitten by a monkey.. 

My 8M was alright. I walked a couple times and stopped for a good old drink at the two drink stations. The important thing to remember is that I wasn't running at all 3 weeks prior so still smashed it in comparison. I won a 'spot' prize of a funky piece of pottery/cup so worth it.

Ran a benchmark parkrun today. I'm so much slower than my best, but proper marathon training starts on Monday so should fix that up soon. I still came in as 7th lady so I'm not beyond fixing. I have my Abingdon place now, or at least in offer.. 
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Best of luck NE, your prep has been great so am sure you'll smash it. 

Good luck on the low key marathon Millsy. What does a casual marathon take you at this point of your build up?

Nice 8m JCG, always good to get a race under your belt. 

Bit concerned yesterday as my inside shin was sore and running seemed to aggravate it further. So after a short jog, decided to take the day off and fortunately this morning it was almost not noticeable. May just have been a new pair of shoes that I ran 13 miles in the day before. Back to the Bostons this morning to crank out 19 miles at a decent pace so fingers crossed it's just a temporary thing. 
  • Options
    Joe - not many reports bring a lump to the throat...,To pull that run out of the bag after the wetsuit/bike issues just points to what's to come.

JCG - well done on the 8m and the PR placing.  Good luck with Abo if you take the place up.

Millsy - I was going to say good luck but I guess that should be well done now. Thanks for the best wishes, I'm a little concerned that the effects of the spring mara training block are starting to wear off, we'll soon see.

John - hope the niggle goes away, sounds like you are in good shape otherwise.

NE - like Millsy, I meant to wish you good luck but hope it went well for you. I had a look at the tracker but it wasn't clear so looking forward to hearing how it went.

I marshalled an inaugural parkrun 1/2m from my front door yesterday.  Seemed to go well and be enjoyed by all so wallowing in virtuosity I went out for a 20m LR in the evening.  Now to cram in a weeks worth of jobs before the lids and oh get back from a well away in a couple of hrs.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    JCG, nice to see you getting right back into things. 
    John, hope the shin sorts itself out. 

In an an odd way I enjoyed my marathon yesterday. Was going to run it fairly hard but not flat out. The race was 2 laps of 13 ish miles with a mix of hard packed trail, farm paths and fields with a few hills put in for good measure. Had plenty of wind and rain on Friday night but by the start of the race there was actually some sunshine. The first half went exactly to plan, apart from the first 10 runners missing a turn which added on an extra 1/4 mile. At 9 miles I was in 5th and the top 4 were starting to break away and I didn't think it would be a good decision to try and stick with then. This is also when the heavens opened and the already wet ground started to turn to mud. It turned into a slog from here to 23 miles as it was an effort just to stay upright. I spent the majority of these miles running with a club mate who was also using it as a bit of a training run. At 24 miles we got overtaken by a chap who was finishing incredibly strong. I made an attempt to stick with him but soon realised that, even though my Garmin said 25 miles, we were still quite a way into the finish so I just dug in and focused on finishing. 
    I crossed the line in 6th in 3:45 with my watch measuring 28.6 miles so was very happy with that. I do ache in some very odd places this morning as was having to use lots of different muscle groups just to stay upright whilst sliding through the mud. 
       Now going into a 2 week "hard taper" before the 50k on the 13th August.