Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Let’s do this.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's the worst photo of the Arc de Triomphe i've ever seen.

I can feel the race day atmosphere.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Are those toilets? In my day everyone just pissed wherever on the Champs d'Elysee. Good luck Macca.
  • Options
    Right, breakfast done and tracking for Manchester and Paris sorted out.  Not far to go for Macca I see.  Probably should be out running to do my last LR like several others - but will go later.

Congratulations on your parkrun PB AWC - you deserve to feel happy with that improvement.

Glad to hear that you are basically ok after your fall JohnOz, well done on your PB too - especially in those conditions - probably cost a few extra seconds off.  

Nice tune up 10k Andy.  I'm looking for around 3:30 as well (PB is 3:34).  My 10k is slower (probably by a bit more than a minute - haven't run one for a while but PB 44:xx from last year) and I have a bit less mileage on the up to 55 week plan.  As you say - we will see.

Nice solo 5k Reg.  

Nice trip to London SQ.

Well done to Ramjet for the parkrun.

For me yesterday: instead of a tune up race a 2 mile warm up as I would do for a race - some gentle jogging, some drills, some faster jogging, a few strides etc.  Then attempted 2km at MP, 2km at HMP, 2km at LT, 2km at 10k pace or faster, 1km CD.  Went well with 2km splits of 9:46, 9:25, 9:08 and 8:51.  Didn't have much left in the tank at the end though.  Nonetheless pleased as it was a solo effort which is always tougher.  
  • Options
    Hello, just popping in - slightly belated well wishes for Manch + Paris runners. Looking forward to the reports! 

I'm slowly progressing backwards, but finding the slowing of my parkrun times interesting to watch. I'm losing approximately a minute a week at the minute. Will the trend continue or will I level out? Is this just because I'm chatting most of the way around?Who knows!   
  • Options
    2:45:05 :D Over the moon with my time, I couldn’t stop crying as I walked back to my hotel lol. Those six seconds are slightly frustrating, but I worked as hard as I could in that last mile so I’m not too fussed. By far the most evenly paced marathon I’ve ever run. I knew 2:45 would need a perfect day, and thankfully I managed to put one together.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Spoons. Well done. Enjoy your evening and look forward to the DOMS.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Macca’s photo made me laugh - it was slow downloading and the bottom half hadn’t appeared before I saw Reg’s comment. A bit harsh I thought, until the Arc blocking toilet monstrosities were revealed. 

Great workout there, Hazel. Impressive. 

Amazing work, spoons! So happy for you. Looking forward to the full report. What an incredibly well paced run and an immense finish. Well earned tears, now time for well earned beers! Have you thought about going into coaching? You are certainly the master of nailing your own training planning and progression. 

Mixed pace 18M for me as a final long run. Every morning is about 6C at he moment and by lunchtime up to 15C. Might have to break all the rules and get out at lunchtime. 
  • Options
    Fantastic result spoons, I was watching your progress along with others on the tracker.  Enjoy your beers if you have some.

Nice long run SQ.  I struggled with the 20 degrees today and aborted my 16 miler at ten. Couldn't breath properly again even at recovery pace and was overtired already.  Worried now that it might be too warm in 2 weeks time.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Fantastic result Spoons. Fully deserved after your epic training!

Final Long Run today - 17mi @7:55/mi. Legs felt a bit tired after parkrun yesterday. Cotton wool now before London!
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Nice progression in that session Hazel. 20 degrees is very hot for a LR.

Glad you are OK and still running JCP.

Fantastic work Spoons. Amazing pacing and it is amazing how far you have progressed in a year. Makes me think there must be something in this high mileage business!

Nice LR AWC.

I basically did the same as AWC. 17 miles @ 7:38. Legs felt tired after racing a parkrun yesterday so happy to hit the required paces. The real taper starts now.
  • Options
    Fantastic results Spoons, really made up for you.  

A quick check in to confirm 3:14:54 so just squeezed under my c goal.  Maybe 10 mins off what I thought capable of but the 2nd half felt tough.  I’ll chew over it in a few days time but for now I’ll just enjoy s few days here.  Ironically, after a warm morning it felt chilly in the afternoon up the Eiffel Tower.  (I walked the first two stages with the lift to the top.). 

Reg - if Ihad propped the door open I’m sure I could have taken a worse photo.  :o

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all. 

Huge congratulations to Spoons for a fantastic performance yesterday! Thoroughly deserved after all of the hard miles you have put in during a very successful training block. It was really nice to have met you and share a little in your achievement at the finish-brilliant stuff!

Very solid performance Macca-well done. Enjoy your next few days over there.

A disappointing 2:46:06 for me. I will do a report when we get home later. Legs are fucked!
  • Options
    Morning all..  Great photo Macca. One for the tourist board. At least well done on gritting out the GFA.

Tom - of course it's still an amazing time but sorry things didn't work out perfectly. All valuable experience and you should be proud of the achievement.

Spoons...Was it you who I rather-too-loudly shouted "Go Spoons" at? Hope I didn't make you jump too much... and I hope that didn't cost you 6 seconds!  Great time from you.  

Will report back tonight or tomorrow. But just to say that I had one of the great days - given that I had no time pressure.  I went a bit quicker than I had pre-planned, at 3:45:55 but my nephew absolutely stormed his first marathon in 3:14.  

Good day to you all.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Spoons - that is an amazing achievement and you can be very proud of what you've achieved over the last 12 months. More miles and hours than anyone else and it's all paid off, well done and enjoy the celebrations (at least for the next 13 days when you have to do it all over again!)

Macca - well done on the GFA, must have been tough going if you were hoping for 10 mins faster but if you're going to hit your goals, may as well sneak in with seconds to spare and save the legs!

Tom - sorry to hear you didn't get the race you wanted, unfortunately we all know it can happen and that's what keeps us coming back to the marathon. Look forward to reading about it and what you took away from the experience.

NE - great training run and if you can recover well you'll be in great shape for Newport.Congrats to your nephew as well, that's an amazing first effort.
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭
    Morning. Well done Tom - still a great time. Recover well.
    Sounds like a good day NE - and well done to your nephew.
    Well done Macca. Enjoy Paris. I did that walk up the Eiffel Tower the day after the marathon and it took me a long time, especially going down!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you are disappointed Tom, it is a fantastic time nonetheless.

Enjoy Paris macca.  Great result from you too.  From what I have read it was pretty warm?

Lovely to hear you had a good day NE.  What did you do in the end with the nutrition?  Well done to your nephew.  Great debut. 

Have a good recovery over the next few days all four marathoners. 
  • Options

Speedy solo 5K Reg.

Nice work at parkrun Ramjet.

Great progressive session there Hazel.

Good to hear from you JCG. Hope you are well.

SQ - I think I’d end up breaking everyone with the mileage I’d suggest they do :D

Well done getting the final long runs done SQ, AWC and Ramjet.

Congrats on your performance Macca. Sub-3:15 is not to be sniffed at! Enjoy Paris.

Great to meet you too Tom. I’m just sorry it was me over the line first in the end, as you deserved so much more given your training. 

NE - I think I remember hearing that. Glad you had a good one, and congrats to your nephew!

Thanks for the congratulations everyone. It’s still sinking in I think. When I set my 2:45 goal I really thought that, at a push, realistically Frankfurt would be the earliest I had a chance. Can’t believe I’ve gone from 3:33 to 2:45 in the space of three years!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Superb performance Spoons, I am in awe of your dedication and hard work and it's a thoroughly deserved achievement. Not sure about the crying though, I think that nonsense needs to stop now :)

Tom, that's a great time and not far off your PB? I can imagine why you're disappointed/frustrated though, we all know that there's a sub 2:40 in there. I reckon if anyone is a candidate for some coaching or lactate testing or something different to try and crack the formula, it's you. That HM speed deserves more.

Nice work NE, that's Joe level sandbaggery, pleasing to beat expctations.

I actually like the photo Macca, reminds me of rushing to the start and trying to find somewhere to piss when I did it. I'm impressed you went up the tower after!

Nice LRs Ramjet, AWC and MP efforts Hazel.

Just a bike for me yesterday.
  • Options
    AWC - brilliant parkrun mate, that's a great time. Awesome. Likewise John; looking in great shape. 

Great session Hazel; that sounds like one that would really hold my interest. 

Spoons! Made up for you. No more than you deserved, and proof to everyone showing where a ton of hard work and dedication can get you. I don't think this is the end of the road either, give it a couple of years and I can't even imagine where you'll be if you keep grafting. Hope you properly enjoy the achievement - well done mate.

Tom - maybe not quite what you wanted but still a fantastic time. I agree with Reg, maybe you need to look at some slightly different training methods or something when it comes to the marathon, because your speed is undeniably there. 

NE - great running in Manchester, did you go for the vest in the end?

Macca - congratulations on renewing that good for age; it's no easy task and I think it's fair to say you had a less than perfect build up. Very impressive on climbing up the eiffel tower post race. You'll be in London right?

Reg - great pace in that 5km earlier in the week. Things very much looking up. 
  • Options
    Was heading to Suffolk on Saturday so stopped off at Roding Valley parkrun. Wanted to stretch my legs before the following days duathlon, found myself off the front after a mile and ran 18:42 for 1st finisher on a flat but muddy course on grass.

Stayed with my grandparents on Saturday night (where, as always, we were overly fed and watered) before Sundays Diss Duathlon. Was slightly frustrated to find myself in the 2nd wave with all the other faster men in the 3rd wave, starting 5 minutes afterwards; would be difficult to know how I was getting on.

Run was 3.3 miles, covered the first one in 19:20 (5:47mm), getting on to the bike in the lead of my wave. Had a really solid bike until disaster struck and I got a puncture with 2 miles to go. Luckily it was the front tire, so I could just about nurse the bike round the final few corners and crawled back into transition, losing some places that I'd taken earlier in the lap.

On to the second run (same distance), I was in the lead of my wave but had no idea how fast the people in the wave behind were going, so I just had to run as hard as possible and hope. 2nd run was 19:40 (5:50mm); happy with the pacing as lots of others lost a lot of time on the second run. Ended up being beaten by one guy in the wave behind (by a minute and a half), so 2nd overall. Not a bad season opener - 14 weeks to go until Ironman!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I continue to follow the forum and want to say many congratulations Spoons - a great achievement and good return for your dedication and talent.  I think you could go quicker in London.  I ran both last year in 2.50 running London 50 seconds quicker. There was a 3 not 2 week gap and London was warmer but it was faster as so many more fast runners to run with. A god recovery now.
    Well done Tom - a great time nevertheless ; I do wonder whether your last week taper was a bit too active?
    Macca - loved the photo and congratulations on he Good for Age - no mean feat.
    Back off to the sub3 forum.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    god = good, but if god is on your side, all the better!
  • Options
      15West said:
    Are those toilets? In my day everyone just pissed wherever on the Champs d'Elysee. Good luck Macca.

I thought it was the law to Piss on the Champs d'Elysee - everyone else was so thought i had better join in! I think the porta loos have been photo shopped in!

Spoons - Totally awesome time - dont think I would complain over 6 seconds

NE - Thats a big difference over estimated time - bit of sand bagging there i think!

Macca - Top qualification run!!!

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Been offline since Wednesday. Just had a read back.
    Spoons: congratulations on a well deserved  PB. Those 6 seconds give you something to aim for in the Autumn.
    NE: nicely done. Looks like the consistency in training is continuing to pay dividends.
    Tom: sorry to hear things went awry yet again.
    Macca: least you got the GFA
    looking forward to all the reports.''
    Some great parkrunning noted too. 
    SQ
    's session stands out on the training front.
    Wednesday's 5K was a disaster. My legs had nothing from the start & I died in the final K to add insult to injury. My slowest series opener (by a long way) since 2014. Weather not helpful with strong winds & a bit of flooding/slippery mud towards the end. Didn't prevent some very good times from others though. Obviously the massive mileage & Brighton excesses hurting me. Thursday got a decent 5 hrs on the slopes before jogging 10K. Just the one day of skiing before joining friends on the East coast. Montrose parkrun Saturday gave me a little boost as I managed 19:40 for the win on a MT course with a horrific headwind on the 3rd mile. 20M in Glen Esk yesterday in beautiful weather brought 68M for the week so about 80% of average. Gentle 10K today with a few strides at the end.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - nice to get the GFA time, even if it wasn't your main goal!
    Tom - Still a very good time, and we know you can go faster! Is it race day hydration/nutrition?
    Joe - Nice podium finish!
    John - Superb course PB!
    AWC - Nice parkrun PB and long run!
    Spoons - Superb dedication got you the result you deserved on the day!!

As for me, I lined up 4 rows from the back at the start and set off too quick! The plan was to aim for 6:25 min/mile. Went through the first 3 miles in 6:09/6:17/6:06, so eased off after this. Then clocked 6:23/6:24/6:19 which was more like it. Went through 10k in about 39 minutes, so around 30 seconds slower than my 10k PB...whoops!! Next few miles in 6:35/6:25/6:34/6:24, cleared 10 miles in 1:03:33 on my watch, but didn't pass the 10 mile marker until about a minute later, which was down on scheduled pace!! Started to pay for my early pace with a 6:45 and then the wheels started to fall off with a 7:04!! Pulled myself together with a 6:27 and was really hurting now, and managed to sprint the last part at 5:03 pace!! To cross the line in 1:24:24 a 28 second PB....talk about fine margins!!

Happy with that off no taper, having run 58 miles last week. Was a tough race as ran alone from about 3 miles in, there were always people either 200-300m ahead or behind me, but I couldn't get in a group! Finished 12th overall out of 439.
  • Options

impressive stuff Steve - well done. looks like you gave it all you had if you were hurting at the end.

Nice to get a PB - I've forgotten what they are!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I read this thread most days, and have followed the campaigns with interest esp spoons and Tom, given the amazing sacrifice they both make. Two cracking times, so we'l done. Tom mentioned the word disappointing, which is a shame given the sacrifices made. You are nearly there you simply have to stop running so many long and medium long runs so fast......how many are 60 to 90 sec/mile slower than eventual race pace........having said that you must do what makes you happy, so if you are currently happy with ROI you are getting then good for you...........none meant, just a well meaning spectator.
  • Options

Solid solo 5km tempo Reg

That time is nothing less than your training deserves Spoons, smashed it!

Still achieved your 'c' goal Macca so can't be disappointed, enjoy the next few days  :)

Not what you wanted Tom, but you still ran a 2:46 so don't get too down with it

Good training mara NE!

Shame about the puncture towards the end Joe as a fantastic performance even with it

A much bigger pb to come when tapered and aiming at a properly targeted half Steve

Thanks for the runcamp idea AWC, but started the gym stuff up again which I had been neglecting once the running picked up

Haven't run since sat, think will just do some easy running until the physio session. Did do 5000m on the indoor rower today in 20:15 

• Options
    Great run Spoons, that's a vast improvement in 3 years. 
    Sorry about your race Tom not living up to your expectations. 
    Well done Macca on the gfa time and congrats on the second place Joe,  waved races can be a bit frustrating!