Options

P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options

Morning all. Looks like HA broke the thread. How you feeling now? Any races in the pipeline?

Ah, the CTS look great joe. Enjoy. If you CBA with the swimming at the mo, perhaps knock it on the head for a while?

Recovery yesterday morning, nice surprise to bump into spoons for a chat. Although probably not that much of a surprise given how frequently we run that route. Then a rare outing to tri club track in the evening, justifying my presence at the Christmas do. Nice to run with others, but a bit of a random session. 13 x 400 at 10k-10M pace (1:24-1:29) with 10s recoveries. 10 seconds! So more of a broken tempo really. Anyone done anything like that before? Not really sure I can see the point and I would have preferred a more traditional vO2 session, but I guess now is the time for something different. 

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, thread killer SQ. I thought about posting yesterday but didn't want 2 in a row. It'd feel like I'm just talking to myself.

Agree that it's a strange session SQ, not something I'd choose either. For 400s at that pace I'd be doing a short MP recovery. A 10s rest seems like a rhythm breaker with minimal recovery benefits. And why 13 reps? I suppose it can't hurt to do different things though. 

9 miles yesterday morning with a few strides, then 3 very slow with the work group at lunch. Probably just a short easy one again today.
  • Options
    Chicksta - well done on the 12m progression.  I think you might be right on the low blood pressure on my run. I’ve got low BP anyway and felt better as soon as I started moving again.

HA - hope the niggles continue to improve.  No more Aussie cricketer jibes from me. I’m going to give them a break for a while, at least until they get competitive again, which might be a long time 😂

Joe - good luck in Gower, I’m with HA, your top end speed might have faded but don’t they say endurance is the last thing to disappear ? (Within reason of course).

SQ - 12s off your PB doesn’t look too shabby to me, well done.  I would have been tempted to ignore those recoveries and just turned the session into a 10k race.

I was tripped  by a dog a couple of days ago.  Fortunately on soft trail so no damage done.  Somehow it managed to clip one of my legs from behind sending me into a Sterling esque dive. Whilst it was a friendly dog and generally I like dogs (couldn’t manage a whole one mind) some of my local trails are turning into doggie exercise / toilet yards.  “Pro” dog walkers with up to 8 dogs all off the lead is a particular bugbear.

• Options
    I don't think I've commented on Jooligans's Snowdonia efforts and probably another couple of marathons since ... well done on all that !

Well done on the 5 miler SQ, it's still not long since Abingdon - maybe the race fell a little bit more advantageously last year ? That session seems a bit odd. But then my average road run has interruptions that last longer for junction crossings.

Good luck Joe.

I didn't twig your running time AWC. I guess the thread has been missing an early starter !

Macca - an Alsatian came to play with me during my 10k race last Sunday. It was a very tight contest for a 2nd place finish - made tighter by the intervention of the dog - in 35.37. I was beaten by an old acquaintance of HA's that mp'ed the Coventry half last year.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Ahh, Dan the hero - great bloke. Just checked him out on PO10 and he's clocking up the races, sub 2:30 last year too in Chester. Good to see. 

Well done for holding off the other guy for 2nd as well as the dog Muddy. Great time too.

Thanks Macca, to steal of phrase from the English team when they were crap, the Aussie team is a "work in progress" at the moment. 
  • Options
    Cheers Muddy.
    5M fartlek today supporting the kids in the first round of the Schools XC.
    Got my own XC race tomorrow near Llanelli after a parkrun warm-up en route.
  • Options
    Quiet on here ...

Hope your parkrun/xc combo went well, Jools.

Blimey, Muddy. Brilliant 10k avec chien ;)

Macca: with you on pro dog walkers. Very annoying :/

Got my legs dirty today :). Not an xc, just the first race of a winter series. Bit of an odd distance (20.092k) but that's the way the route pans out. Multi lapper, half of it in the woods hence the mud. Nice place for a progression run with the last 2 miles at LT effort.

• Options
    I seem to have won my age group without trying :) Plan was to do 9/8:30/8 pace and then see what's left in the tank for the last lap. Right at the start I found myself in a large group going at about my Berlin marathon pace. Tried to slow down but couldn't as I was getting in the way of the runners behind me. Felt good and just stuck to that place getting marginally faster. My Garmin showed 8:10 pace for lap 2 and 8:00 for lap 3 so exactly the other way round from the official measurement. Oh, well I still think this can be chalked off as a decent progression run. Final lap was fun as I picked up company. Ran with a triathlon bloke 10 years younger than me and we chatted about the benefits of yoga and cross training. He really pushed me for the last  2 miles so I got my LT finish as planned. Time passes so much quicker when you have someone to run with.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Muddy - well done on the second place and for avoiding the dog!

Chicksta - strange distance indeed but brilliant first place in age group. Definitely helps having someone to push you along and hang on to. 

Definitely quiet on here I guess because marathon season has ended. It’ll soon be time for a spring thread. Looks like I’ll be doing Southampton in early May. It’s normally same day as London but they’ve put it back a week due to road works I think. 

Went out on on my Saturday night loop again last night. Not quite as late as last week and managed 9 loops/23 miles this week. Legs a bit sore today but not as bad as last week. 
  • Options
    Well done on the AG win Chicksta.
    Good LR AWC.
    Parkrun/XC combo done & dusted yesterday which with wu/cd totalled 13.8M. Only managed 5th at parkrun & missed a sub 20 by 4s. Still a course PB. Unfortunately my Friday night revelry combined with this effort resulted in a sub-par performance at XC. Couldn't even maintain MP. It was very windy but hardly any mud so a quick course usually but this was my slowest time over that course.
    With that (& last Sunday) in mind I kept today's LR to 13.1M at a nice easy pace & was able to finish strongly.
  • Options

Well done chicksta on winning age group..

AWC - marathon season has not ended - mine is in about 5 weeks time. LOL. then see you at Southampton !

Muddy - glad to see other people attract unwanted attention from dogs when running as well.

Jools - the 18 miler was pretty good last week and felt good at the end. 20 miles this weekend I was starting to struggle a bit more but was a tad faster than last week and maintened a steady pace even through last miles so quite pleased. A couple more 20's before Portsmouth marathon and will be sorted I think.

• Options

I think I will be doing me marathon when people are starting their training for their spring marathons!....

When is the new "P&D Spring marathon 2019" forum starting?

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    It is quiet on here.

Great result chicksta. Well done.

Good long runs FBT and AWC and good PR/XC combo Jools. I do like how you get somewhat disappointed about race results, even though you've already raced once that day and hit the booze the night before. I can't think I would even remotely think about the result if I were in that position. Great stuff.

Nothing exciting for me, just 10k with strides last night and an easy 10k this morning. Might try some sort of session on Wednesday. Probably going to have to change work office this week until the end of the year so I could be back in London, which is a bugger. Hopefully I can settle into a running routine soon enough. London champs entry opened today so just put in my application.
  • Options
    I think we're just kicking our heels (apart from FBT) until it all cranks up again for the spring. I know I'm not training with any significant volume and taking a fairly haphazard approach just picking up races as and when, and, if I feel alright in the meantime, I'll do a reasonable progression run or marathon effort run in the week. I've entered a couple of mudfests, a 10 mile road race, a 10k road race and a half marathon to keep me entertained until the London training kicks off. Hopefully I can get a couple of parkruns in too, as I feel  I might be able to trouble my pb soon, if conditions are decent.

Congratulations due to Chicksta and Jooligan for their efforts ! And well done to AWC looping the loop; FBT knocking out 20 miles.

Some fine running by Macca too, I see on Strava.

HA - has the Championship gone the way of the GFA with capped numbers and the entry requirements being just a theoretical upper time  limit ?

• Options
    FBT: Good 20. Have you done that Portsmouth marathon before?
    I propose the new thread starts in December as the 2nd is 18 weeks prior to Manchester.
    Really tired so sacked off any running for today in the hope that I'll feel refreshed & keen for some decent mileage tomorrow.
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Joe is doing Valencia in December but I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

Muddy - No restrictions on championship numbers. I don't think there are enough to clog up the roads. I'm not sure how many there are though, maybe a few hundred?
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see how different GFA times are for 2020.
    I'm ranked 382nd MV45 in 2018 with my 3:08:12 from Abo whilst my 3:02:19 from 2016 only got me 376th MV45
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hope all ok after the dive, Macca. Sure you would have styled it out. 

Great result, Muddy, and quite an array of races. Any towards Cheltenham? I have entered a Santa 5M off road race, the 7Sins (28th Decemeber) - very hilly off road affair, with a special t shirt for sub 60, and Wokingham Half. Anyone else in for that one?

Great result, chicksta.

Impressive long run, AWC. More than ticking over!

Cracking weekend, Jooligan. As HA says, on a hangover, I have survival first and foremost in my mind. 

Ticking over here. A couple of 50M weeks and my first every Mona Fartlek on Sunday. Thanks to HA for the inspiration. 2 x 90s, 4 x 60, 4 x 30s, 4 x 15 s with equal recoveries. 'Float' recoveries. Totalled 3.09M for the 20 mins, so about MP average pace. Nice marker that I can hopefully beat over the next few weeks. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Recovery run at lunch yesterday. Hill session tonight - hill intervals, joy of joys! As I haven't raced since August I'm trying to get some decent sessions in before Christmas as my legs feel very fresh.
  • Options
    Well done on the AG win Chicksta and finishing @ LT pace.  

Great time at the 10k Muddy, more so with the K9 distraction.

Jools - I enjoy reading about your weekends but these days I couldn’t get beyond the Friday night drinks, the rest of the weekend would be a wash out. Well done for having a rest day.

HA - hopefully the commute won’t eat into training time too much.

FBT - with those 18s and 20s it’s starting to look like a proper plan !

AWC - I like those late night loops, all too familiar. Enjoy the hills.

SQ - I went down like the proverbial sack of spuds.  Some interesting races there and thanks for the Wokingham reminder, I’ll look to see if it fits in.  I think we live in a slightly skewed world where 50m weeks are tickover 😀

Talking of spring, I’ve entered Manchester with London as plan B.  Of more immediate concern is Wendover Woods 50 this Saturday which I’m really looking forward to. Goal A is to be able to walk at the local xmas lights switch on the next day.  (This hasn’t always been possible in the past).

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    SQ - Nice work on the Mona Fartlek. It's one of my go to sessions when I'm pushed for time and can be really tough depending on how much you slow down for the float.

Another casual ultra Macca - nice. I'm sure you'll be ok for the xmas lights, you're a machine these days.

A few hills for me today too. Nothing drastic though, just 6x short (20-30s) sprints in a 4ish mile easy run. 

I had Wokingham half pencilled into my training schedule but I'm not sure about it, being the weekend of my wife's birthday and the start of Feb half term for the kids. One way or the other I think it would get scuppered. I have entered Reading half though so hopefully will have a chance at my 24 year HM PB. I managed to get a free entry too as an Elite Veteran, some benefits to getting older I suppose. I'm not going to question their definition of elite but I do feel a bit of an impostor. 
  • Options
    Dropping back in after a few days abscence (thread not running).

Nice win on the Halloween relays Jools.  Lucky you knew the course.  And a first finisher at parkrun and a good result in one of the XCs too.  I can hardly keep up with your races.. Have you really just done 2 maras? Ouch to the 20 miles without drink/food.

Nice Christmas plans SQ with starting P&D.  Good excuse to indulge a bit if you will burning some calories off.  Good Guy Fawkes result.

Good call on taking it easy if you are not ready for speedier stuff HA especially if you have had a couple of bad experiences with too much too soon in the past.  Bad luck on the office move.

Nice start to P&L Chicksta.  Well done on your age group win at the 20km.

Good to have a race to focus on AWC with your January ultra.

Great mileage macca.

Well done on the long runs FBT.

Nice race planning muddy.

Last week of base training for me (plan extracted from P&L).  Nothing planned racewise at the moment - there aren't many taking place here in the next couple of months unless I want to travel around which I don't really.  I will take a cut back week next week and then get stuck into a P&L plan as I feel the need to do a bit of hard work again and like a structured plan.
  • Options
    Impressive recap Hazel. Did you have to make notes :p
    I'm booked in for Wokingham again :)
    You appear to have mildly tapered for Wendover after a few big weeks so should ace it Macca. Is this the 3rd or 4th time you've done it?
    Tbh my boozing was pretty limited last Friday: just the 3 pints albeit of 7.4% cider :D It's the lack of sleep which really does for me.
    5M at lunch & 10.7 hilly trail miles before supper makes up for my day off yesterday.
  • Options
    Morning all.

AWC nice work on the hill session. I need to at least pay lip service to a few before the 7Sins. Last year was painful!

It'd be great to see you at Wokingham, Macca. Best of luck with the WW50. That sounds a bit like a futuristic war. Great you'll be there too, Jooligan. Let's have a thread meet up. 

Yes it's a great one for time efficiency, HA. Congrats on being the thread's elite veteran! I fancy Reading as they offer 80 minute pacers. Might look into it. 

You structure your global training really impressively, Hazel. The P&L will give you great speed no doubt. 

10M progression with 1M warm down today. 6:53 average for the lot. Strong southerly wind made things interesting. Nowhere near top end speed, but enjoyably tough nonetheless. I rarely listen to music whilst running, but fancied some Prodigy: Fat of the Land. Great for getting you pumped, but not sure the lyrics would be Top 40 hits these days. 
  • Options
    SQ - Sadly not doing anything around Cheltenham except maybe a parkrun ...

Macca - 50 miles ? A sprint then :)

HA - Does the free entry as an elite vet also get you a palatial pre-race toilet experience ? I’m looking to run a fast half in January, then another in the build up to London - was considering Bath, though it clashes with the Gloucester 20 which I thought may accommodate a decent mp run.

Hope the hills went well AWC. Pretty much every run has its ups and downs where I am. I do like a good hill sprint session but it hammers the hamstrings.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Macca: good luck for WW50 - its a hilly one by the looks of the course profile.
    HA/SQ: Reading is a great course for a PB although I have a love/hate relationship with it - it was my 1st half and I had a brilliant day, the next one was a DNF after 6 miles as I had a virus that week, and last year was a DNS as it was cancelled due to the snow  :D
    Hazel: that P&L plan is great for building speed and endurance - you'll be much stronger as a result of it
    SQ: nice progression run and great music choice. Takes me back to my rebellious teenage years!
    Muddy: similarly to you its hard to avoid hills where I am by the river. Unless I run up and down the river I can't avoid hills. It's great to have it as a normal part of training.
    Hill session went well last night although I did 5 reps on the first hill and the next 5 on another hill. The first hill was way too steep at 15% incline so it wasn't easy to actually run it!
    6 miles with a few strides at lunch today to loosen things up a bit.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    15% is definitely not a hill rep incline AWC! Fair play for grinding out 5 of them.
    You'd probably get free entry to Bath Muddy based on your HM time (I think)
    That's a solid run SQ - just seen it on Strava too.
    Another 10M for me today with 3.9 steady at lunch followed by a TM 10K w 6x1K@16kph. Felt significantly easier than last week's probably because I'd taken the lunch session easier rather than smashing 6x400m :D
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Muddy - Crossing my fingers about the elite toilets. A nice toilet with no queues is like the pre-race holy grail. I'm thinking about tapering properly for Reading and giving it a real crack. If training goes to plan I should've done about 4-5 weeks of solid training by that point so could probably do with a down week, which would double as a taper. Not sure the chances of everything going to plan though.

AWC - Well done on the hills. I don't mind doing some really steep hills, sort of like a strength workout, instead of squats and lunges and the like but also like to run hills where I can still get into some sort of rhythm. There are a few hills near my work, nothing major though, but I really struggle to find anything decent near my home.

Building back up nicely SQ. 

Hazel - Sounds like you've got it all planned out nicely. 

Got up to the track yesterday morning for a short, sharp session - 5x300m, 5x200m with equal jog recovery. Was pretty slow and some reps were somewhat painful but they're so short you can just push through. I feel like it doesn't take much out overall. Will probably try some similar short, fast sessions in the coming weeks. Might have to get some ideas from Scott. It made me realise how slow I am over short distances and gave me new respect for Scott's 800m time. Just an easy offroad 9 miles this morning, was expecting more mud but was pleasantly surprised. 
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Jools: no idea what a "TM 10K w 6x1K@16kph" is but its sounds impressive!
    HA: I find short reps painful at the time but next day you don't really feel much in the way of muscle soreness. The steep hill definitely felt like good strength training but I fancied properly running a hill so switched to a less steep one for faster reps.
    Strength circuit at home this morning for breakfast - glute bridge, pistol squats, cycle crunches, reverse planks. 6 miles at lunch today hopefully.
  • Options
    Jools if I haven't kept up to date then I do make notes as I read back, I've lost a few posts in the past and have a habit of writing in word / txt then posting.

Good luck for Wendover Macca, looks nice.

Hills seem pretty popular at the moment.  My standard routes are also mostly undulating - I also inconveniently live almost at the top of a hill.  I'm often lazy and walk the final quarter mile as a cooldown.  15% is pretty brutal.  Anything more than a short stretch of that and I'm walking.  10% I can do over longer periods of time, though slowly.   Must go and have another go at my localish "killer hill" sometime, not sure how steep / long that one is but I generally have to shuffle it.

Regarding race toilets - rather than queueing have a quick look around if there are any building sites nearby with accessible portaloos.  I've often been lucky to find one when warming up, they are often not in that bad a condition and often even have paper and water.

AWC said:
    Jools: no idea what a "TM 10K w 6x1K@16kph" is but its sounds impressive!

And painful?