Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dark sky is showing 2c at 8am (feels like -1c) rising to 11c at 4pm. Going to be a very chilly start :)
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Well done Eggy and FRG on Vienna!

The weather forecast has got me re-thinking what to wear. It seems to suggest 6 degrees at 10am and it looks slow to warm up - I think it might be too cold in the early stages for a running vest but taking layers off whilst needing to keep the running bib on show - how do you deal with that? A nice problem to have though - I'd rather cool temps than last years heat!!
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Dom%20Norrish">Dom Norrish</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Andrew%20Milne%2011" title="Link: /profile/Andrew%20Milne%2011">Andrew Milne 11</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Just found this thread. Should have looked for it earlier. This is my first marathon. I thought as it might be my only one, to do one I'll remember.

Every time predictor put me at around 3:45- 10k 1/2m, Yassos, two miles all out, so that's my pen. But I could do with some advice as I currently think that time is optimistic.

I could do with some advice from more experienced marathoners. At 15,16 miles, I was doing just under 10 min miles, but, TBH, there wasn't a lot left in the tank for the final couple. For my final long run,-21 miles- I slowed down and felt I could keep that pace up for the full distance fairly comfortably. That pace, though, was 11.45.

Given that , and my that 10k and 1/2/m bests are about 47m and 1h49, how much should I reasonably expect to be speeding up by on race day? At the moment, I'm not sure whether to move back a pen or two, or start at the back of the 3:45 , take it slow to start, then use runners catching up as pacers, playing by ear when, and how much, I quicken up.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Welcome Andrew

Don't move back a pen, I'd say you're in the right place.

My first Paris was 3:52, off a 10k PB of 46-something and a half of 1:45 I think. I ran a positive split, slowing down quite a bit in the last 4 miles, because until you've gone that far, it's really hard to judge what you'll have left.

My only advice would be to use the pace you've been training at, because everything after 21m will be virgin territory. You never know, you might feel strong the whole way. Hell, you may even speed up towards the end, who knows? So start as you mean to continue. 

Remember, on the day, unlike in any of your long runs, you will be:
    <ul><li>Fully rested, without fatigued legs</li><li>Fully adapted to the last 16+ weeks of conditioning</li><li>Fuelled and hydrated every 5km </li><li>Cheered on by thousands</li><li>Surrounded by other runners</li><li>A marathoner</li></ul>
    In short, you've got this ;)

Thanks ,and to OuchOuch. You've convinced me to stay in the 3.45 pen. I'll go quite far back and start slowly. I suppose the answer to my original question as to how much I can expect to quicken up from training is:no one really knows until they try,but to give yourself the best chance ,don't be afraid of going too slowly for the first few miles,and then keep reviewing.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    StephA said:
     It seems to suggest 6 degrees at 10am and it looks slow to warm up - I think it might be too cold in the early stages for a running vest but taking layers off whilst needing to keep the running bib on show - how do you deal with that? A nice problem to have though - I'd rather cool temps than last years heat!!
    You could wear a vest on top of your T-shirt  or a compression top with the bib attached to the vest. That way you can remove both when you get hot and put just the vest back.

Not sure what I’ll do. Might do above or might just wear a T-shirt. Keen to hear what’s other people are doing.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Have the number on what you’ll end up wearing, after all layers are off. Unless you want to get alllllll the photos (matching is by number recognition), it’s ok to have you number covered for a cold start. You can lift your top up to show number as you enter pens. The chip will work through a layer. Get top layers you don’t mind totally ditching (a charity shop special works well) as it can be hard to find supporters to off load to, unless you know the course and so do they.
    Also, 11 degrees isn’t super hot so you may want coverage for all the race. Take a warm vs cold top with you to Paris and decide on the day. Both should be proven racing/lLSR tops (beware the chafe).
    The other method I’ve used with much success for trail and changeable weather days is putting number on my leg. You have to have a big enough thigh though ;) and make sure it doesn’t catch.
  • Practise taking a t shirt off while keeping the vest on. 1 arm at a time then over your head. easy...
  • On clothing, I usually go for the running sleeves you can peel off (after a few miles) with a vest, but have a jumper over the top which I can leave at the start and don't mind not getting back.

I get very hot during a race though, so this definitely won't be for everyone. With it being 2oC at the start those sleeves may stay on a lot longer than usual.

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Could you attach the number to your shorts? 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    This must be the first ever Paris marathon it might be cool weather panic!

From this big Scottish eejit I like the saying if you’re not cold in the start pen it too warm to run. Those temps sound great!
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the congrats! And a treat to ‘meet’ Orbutt, too! 
    Definitely take a top with you in to the pens which you can dump before the start. I try to stay at the side so it doesn’t trip anyone up, along with my banana skin. 
    Running leggings seem less durable than tops, so be careful if you’re attaching your bib here. I made a couple of small holes in mine recently. You could also try fixing your bib to any belt you may be wearing. I’ve seen a few people do this. Not sure whether it would get in the way when you run. 
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the thoughts on clothes-I think I’ll go my running vest over a long sleeved top that I’m happy to dispose of. I have got peel off sleeves but suspect I’d be cold if it really is 4 or 6 degrees!! Ive got my sacrificial hoody and leggings for disposing of in the pen too. I don’t think the number will sit well on my shorts-my running belt has toggles which I might experiment with.
    it seems strange thinking about it being cold!! Could be worse-A good friend is running Boston on Monday and it almost looks like it could be a re-run of last years monsoon weather!!
  • My weather forecast for Paris is now showing 13 degrees and sunny. It has changed so much over the last week. It really does illustrate how there's no point in looking until the day before and to take a few options. 
  • "Dress for the 2nd mile" but wear something warm for the pen.

Tokyo last month was really cold to begin with, but by 5k I'd thrown away my gloves
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    "Dress for the 2nd mile" but wear something warm for the pen.

Tokyo last month was really cold to begin with, but by 5k I'd thrown away my gloves
    Did we meet in the toilet queue in Tokyo? It was bloody cold in Tokyo!
  • Radar Sal said:
    "Dress for the 2nd mile" but wear something warm for the pen.

Did we meet in the toilet queue in Tokyo? It was bloody cold in Tokyo!
    Yeah - that was pretty random!
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Totally random!  :D have an awesome #10 in Paris. I am going to be cheeky and presume there’s been no other pub suggested for afters, as no one’s said, so hope to see you at the Canadian embassy pub on Sunday! I can’t make the 8am photo at the arc as have the Mr in tow for his first marathon and will be making supportive noises at him.
  • Scene - a long, snaking toilet queue in a manic pre-Tokyo start area with 50,000 people.

Me: (hearing English spoken for the first time in days) Hi! Are you guys from England?
    Sal: New Zealand, but I live in London. Nice Paris Marathon cap!
    Me: Um... are you Radar Sal from the Runners World Paris thread?
  • @baldstan thanks for that excellent advice!
  • RammpantsRammpants ✭✭✭
    Some excellent advice and great thoughts here. I've really enjoyed coming here while training. Travelling tomorrow and bonne chance everyone.

I'm having trouble registering my partner to follow me on the official app. First it wanted her to have an account on TimeTo, which she did, then it just said she wasn't registered for the event and it wouldn't start. She's not running though, she just wants to follow my progress. Is the another way? Ta.
  • > @Rammpants said:
    > Some excellent advice and great thoughts here. I've really enjoyed coming here while training. Travelling tomorrow and bonne chance everyone.
    >
    > I'm having trouble registering my partner to follow me on the official app. First it wanted her to have an account on TimeTo, which she did, then it just said she wasn't registered for the event and it wouldn't start. She's not running though, she just wants to follow my progress. Is the another way? Ta.

I've just seen (minutes ago) a post from the marathon on their page saying tracking won't be enabled until tomorrow in the app
  • Hi All,

Thank you for this fantastic forum, this is my first ever Marathon and the information has been very helpful.
    I’ve read up as much as possible ahead of this weekend and this forum has been very informative and entertaining!

Is it possible someone can send me a copy of the Spectators Guide please. I have my family in tow so hoping they can get around and see me a few times.

Good luck to all. :)

Thanks
    Purple 35954
  • get_downget_down ✭✭✭
    It's getting exciting! Not long to go now, and the forum has hotted up. 

I'm bib 45276, Green pen. I too will be grateful if someone can share the spectators' guide.  

The run-in for this has definitely been the worst of any marathon I've run, not helped by spending the last two weeks in Africa and Asia where there was zero running except for responding to a lingering dose of the trots. The only two things that will keep me going on Sunday are knowing that I've done this before, and the prospect of hanging my medal around my son's neck after finishing - we found out he was coming four days after that last time I ran. Sentimentality is my motivator! 

Good luck everyone, especially first time marathoners. It will be a great day... don't go out too fast. 

And Monday will be a reminder that there are few escalators on the Paris Metro, but a lot of stairs.
  • I'm purple ,33423. At the start , most likely to be seen edging towards the back in a scruffy ,old Technicals fleece
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    I’m going to try to get to the canadianembassypub. 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    clairejones, hope your chest infection is clearing up, and StephA, hope your foot's feeling better too. I've got a running belt with toggles too and it's been fine when I've used it before, worth trying it out before race day though to make sure you're comfortable with it. Good to hear from you Radar Sal. I'd love to make it to the Canadian Embassy after the race, but not sure my kids will be willing to hang around unfortunately.
    Hope I've not missed anyone off the list who's posted their bib number. Hollie, looks like you'll have a bit of company from the forum in the Green pen. There are 4 hour pacers as well, but I've heard mixed reports in the past about how well they manage to run an even pace.
    Red pen (Speed of light) Starts at 08:27
    478 – andyc209
    576 – OuchOuch
    Yellow pen (3:15) Starts at 08:32
    tbc – Miles87
    9417 – Dom Norrish
    11586 - baldstan
    Blue pen (3:30) Starts at 08:40
    tbc – RFoster +1
    2163 – dave_bearded
    18117 – Webby4216
    Violet pen (3:45) Starts at 09:05
    29096 – Carol4
    31970 - Rammpants
    33423 – Andrew
    33683 - Khanivore
    35954 - IanH
    37024 – StephenLT
    37634 – rachaeltoon
    Green pen (4:00) Starts at 09:30
    tbc – Ben Church
    tbc – Bex89
    tbc – Hollie
    tbc – Mark Bermingham
    45276 – get_down
    52146 – phronesis
    Grey pen (4:15) Starts at 10:00
    59889 – StephA
    60566 – Suzanne Taylor 2
    62201 - DavidRuns
    63610 - mentes
    Pink pen (4:30 plus) Starts at 10:10
    70051 - clairejones
    70609 – K83nd0n
    71956 - Rudi
    75031 – Andy
    I'll be at the Expo on Friday morning and plan to wear my orange BCRC top (with "Where the Foch is the Finish?" on the back) in case anyone else is there at the same time and wants to say hello.
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Can definitely vouch for a soggy metro ticket! Fortunately you don’t need to put them in the machine in Vienna.
    From memory I think they have big posts with letters at the finish. Having arranged to meet somewhere near l’Arc de Triomphe, I couldn’t face the uphill stagger after the finish and went out of the first exit to sit on the grass and wait... by letter D, I think. 
  • Hi all,

I have done something rather stupid and only realised now that my train doesn't get in until 4.30 on Saturday, meaning the earliest I can get to the Expo is 5pm. It closes at 7pm. 

Aside from having absolutely no wriggle room in case of delay. Can anyone confirm that if people are still queuing after 7pm they'll still serve them? The alternative is to pay extra for an earlier train which I would like to avoid.

Thanks!
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    @baldstan thanks for the words of wisdom - very wise, my husbands phone died last year and we arranged to meet at the finish... :D - not quite sure how we actually found each other! My foot is getting there - more acupuncture yesterday so a bit sore today. She's recommended I don't run until Sunday...
    Thanks for posting the pen info - I'll make a note of those in my pen and keep an eye out. 
    This time tomorrow, I'll be on my way!!

@JamieSullivan do you know anyone else in the city who could go on your behalf?