Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• Hi all! Heading to Paris tomorrow lunchtime on the Eurostar, everything starting to feel real now! Realised i shared the wrong bib number before, i missed a digit off. My number is 21639. Will try to make an apppearance at the Canadian Embassy pub on Sunday evening if my legs still have the strength to carry me!
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, my bib is 43720 green but will be going back a pen maybe at the expo as more like 5hrs. Will be wearing purple “where the Foch is the finish?” top. Say hi as you pass me 😄
  • Good to read all the comments, tips and pick up on the excitement!
    Just coming back up for air after having a viral fever for a week and then my kids to stay which has been full on!!
    Normally for weeks before my marathons I am so excited, this time I feel a little flat, hoping that will change once I am on my way!
    But that’s where there may be a problem! Tomorrow, I have to fly my 8 year daughter to Manchester to her mum, fly back to Southampton before flying to Paris. 
    And all 3 flights are with FLYBE!!!
    if I can get through tomorrow, then I can start getting anxious about the race/ paranoid about every muscle in my body!     
    :smile: :-)
  • Bags are all packed and ready for the off first thing tomorrow! Starting to get nervous now! Hopefully bump into some of you at the start / expo
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it's already been covered but what is the best way to get from Eurostar to expo on Saturday using public transport? Is it M4 and then M12 on the metro? 
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Khanivore said:
    Sorry if it's already been covered but what is the best way to get from Eurostar to expo on Saturday using public transport? Is it M4 and then M12 on the metro? 
    Yes, m4 and then m12. If you RER and then metro or tram, it’s two tickets.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    OK great thanks - my concern is that google maps is showing the metro as having a modified service on Saturday. I don't know what this means because it doesn't say what the impact will be.

Modified service
    Urgence médicale
    "Itinerary Affected: 4 & Impact: Service est interrompu sur la ligne entière du lundi au jeudi, de 22h15 à fin de service." - ratp.fr
    Effective from 11/04/2019, 01:00 to 18/04/2019, 12:59
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Looks like it’s only In the evenings. Google translate: “Itinerary Affected: 4 & Impact: Service is interrupted on the entire line from Monday to Thursday, from 22:15 to end of service.”
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Is there a restriction on the size of the bag drop?
  • Bex89Bex89 ✭✭
    Hi everyone, 

Sorry I have been very quiet, feeling very unprepared for Sunday but am hoping that once I get into Paris tomorrow (11.30 Eurostar for us) I can concentrate on getting “race ready” and enjoying the atmosphere.

I will still be in Green pen - 51756, maybe be some of you there  :)
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    On the subject of taxis, beware helpful ‘queue managers’ who seem official and help you jump forward. We travel to Paris regularly (French husband) and still got duped!
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone! Hope all then training pays off!!
  • > @Khanivore said:
    > Sorry if it's already been covered but what is the best way to get from Eurostar to expo on Saturday using public transport? Is it M4 and then M12 on the metro? 

If you're able, download the app Citymapper. I finds it's a lot more helpful when in foreign cities than Google Maps, etc.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Good luck this weekend everyone.
    My big ugly self will be in Glasgow, but my heart in Paris. It's been a great event for me over the years. I hope you all have a great weekend.
  • Currently travelling in an official taxi, taxi rank was easy to find, near Eurostar terminal (very obvious with the railings and queueing system, very short and quickly moving queue (I’m guessing due to time of day)  controlled by security guards. The taxis came in thick and fast. Will let you know if I make it to my destination!!  
  • Got here yesterday. Registering this afternoon. Re advice. If,like me,you haven't been to Paris for a while, you need to me even more careful crossing the cycle lanes than you do the roads. They're actually part of the pavement.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Organisers confirmed that there is no drop bag size limit but the smaller the better.
  • Made it to the hotel, taxi was only 20 euros. Now on way to the Salon 
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    It’s getting exciting! I’m on 11am Eurostar tomorrow. So long to wait!! Find all the free stuff at the expo @clairejones
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Im almost at Paddington station, quick hop to st Pancras for the 11.30 Eurostar, feeling weirdly calm albeit excited!! 
    So far realised I’ve forgotten water bottles and safety pins 😂🤦‍♀️
  • Eggyh73.Hard luck.I'll be in Paris but my heart is at all those roundabouts in E.K. Flight leaves early evening from Glasgow.Case all packed....nails cut...gels in a see through bag and flag out for Mrs "The man"
  • has anyone asked to move up a colour in the last few days? I'm just wondering if strava evidence is enough for them and how difficult was it?
    I'm pretty excited now! I'm flying from Newcastle at 6am tomorrow so I'm going to head straight to the expo, get my number then lie on the hotel bed and watch netflix until I pass out :smiley:
  • Metro line 4 is closed Sunday morning.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    @DavidRuns - In previous years you haven't required any evidence to change pen at the expo. The only pen that ever required time confirmation was the preferential pen (Red).
    The Man - I worked in EK back in the early 90's. I refuse to believe anyone's heart is in those roundabouts! :D
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I was at Thorpe Park yesterday and am at Chessington today... carbo loading. Getting 9.20am train tomorrow!

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Eggyh73">Eggyh73</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><div>@DavidRuns - In previous years you haven't required any evidence to change pen at the expo. The only pen that ever required time confirmation was the preferential pen (Red).</div><div>The Man - I worked in EK back in the early 90's. I refuse to believe anyone's heart is in those roundabouts! :D </div></div>
    </blockquote>
    Thank you that’s great news!
  • Waiting to board the Eurostar... it’s all getting very real now! Travelling alone so amusing/distracting myself by playing ‘spot the marathon runner’.

Was feeling excited but the last few days I have developed a niggle which feels exactly the same as something I had (in the opposite leg) before doing Chester in October. Quite anxious as that one became a struggle to finish from about halfway 😭
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about the safety pins StephA, they include 4 in the envelope with your number, and there are several stands at the Expo selling collapsable water bottles if those are the ones you need. Not many freebies this year Radar Sal, not even a banana! Though if you run on a treadmill you can make your own banana smoothie...
    Started my carb loading with galette and crepe on the Rue du Montparnasse near Edgar Quinet Metro. There are about a dozen Breton crepe restaurants within 100 metres, and all looked to be quite popular at lunch time today, so worth trying if you like pancakes, which my kids do.
    Forecast is still pretty cold for Sunday morning, but dry, so glad I've got an old sweatshirt I can wear to the start pen. Hope your niggle is nothing more than that rachaeltoon. I've swapped back from the Nike Streak's I was going to run in to my Kinvaras as I convinced myself in the last week that I was getting sore heels running in the Streaks.
  • Also disappointed by the lack of freebies Baldstan but I did manage to get myself a free banana! They were handing them out by the truck load around 7pm. 

Queue for the asics wristbands with your (planned) mile splits took a while to get....they want you to put in your personal data first before they print it out...can only imagine the queue will be a little bigger for it tomorrow!