Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• @StephA potentially, but can you pick up bibs through a proxy? I thought that was why they asked for ID (e.g. you have to do it in person).
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    @JamieSullivan I believe someone else can collect on your behalf but I'm not sure what you'd have to provide them with - hopefully someone with more experience can help?

I'm happy to help anyone who needs a bib collected if we work out what is needed - I'll be there tomorrow.
  • on the early Eurostar tomorrow. Glad we now wont be leaving the EU while we are all still out there.
    Starting in the 4hr pen, hoping to finish just inside this. Will be wearing a fluorescent orange 'Danson Runners' top so come say hi! I will need the distractions
  • cde79cde79 ✭✭
    Hello all, very late to the party here too but this thread is great! I'm in green, #43315. My third marathon, and second time doing Paris - for those of you who have never done it before, you will love it. Watch out for the old Parisien ladies pushing their wheelie shopping carts across the road in front of you shortly after the park at around 18k, blissfully unaware of what's going on :smile:

I'm also very glad it's going to be cooler than my last two (Paris 2017 - 27 degrees, Liverpool 2018 - 25 degrees) so hopefully I will have fewer problems as a result :smile:

To StephA and JamieSullivan - you can collect others' bibs but you need a piece of ID for them (passport or DL), their medical cert (if they haven't uploaded it onto their portal and had it approved in advance), and their QR code on their convocation (I got mine through on email on the 4th April, I suspect others will have got theirs at a similar time).

Personally I would change your train if you can, as any delays may cause you to miss out on running completely as nothing is possible on the day...

Enjoy everyone, maybe see some of you there! I'm not sure what I'm going to be wearing yet as it depends on how freezing it's going to be, other than a bright yellow nike cap, and probably a purple and green Elvet Striders vest.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    cde79 said:
    Hello all, very late to the party here too but this thread is great! I'm in green, #43315. My third marathon, and second time doing Paris - for those of you who have never done it before, you will love it. Watch out for the old Parisien ladies pushing their wheelie shopping carts across the road in front of you shortly after the park at around 18k, blissfully unaware of what's going on :smile:

I'm also very glad it's going to be cooler than my last two (Paris 2017 - 27 degrees, Liverpool 2018 - 25 degrees) so hopefully I will have fewer problems as a result :smile:

To StephA and JamieSullivan - you can collect others' bibs but you need a piece of ID for them (passport or DL), their medical cert (if they haven't uploaded it onto their portal and had it approved in advance), and their QR code on their convocation (I got mine through on email on the 4th April, I suspect others will have got theirs at a similar time).

Personally I would change your train if you can, as any delays may cause you to miss out on running completely as nothing is possible on the day...

Enjoy everyone, maybe see some of you there! I'm not sure what I'm going to be wearing yet as it depends on how freezing it's going to be, other than a bright yellow nike cap, and probably a purple and green Elvet Striders vest.
    You from Durham? I’m from Middlesbrough. 
  • cde79cde79 ✭✭
    > @phronesis said:
    > You from Durham? I’m from Middlesbrough. 

I am! When are you heading down?
  • <span>@phronesis @cde79 I wonder how many others are from ‘up north’. I’m Newcastle</span>
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    My wife’s from Gateshead if that counts :)

I did my my last run this am. I’ve had no niggles at all during training but 30 seconds in to it I had an awful pain in my knee. 2 mins later it was gone. After the run had lots of aches all over the place. Now they are gone too. The mind is a strange and powerful thing :)
  • cde79cde79 ✭✭
    > @Khanivore said:
    > My wife’s from Gateshead if that counts :)
    >
    > I did my my last run this am. I’ve had no niggles at all during training but 30 seconds in to it I had an awful pain in my knee. 2 mins later it was gone. After the run had lots of aches all over the place. Now they are gone too. The mind is a strange and powerful thing :)

Maranoia :-)
  • cde79cde79 ✭✭
    > @DavidRuns said:
    > @phronesis @cde79 I wonder how many others are from ‘up north’. I’m Newcastle

A fair few judging by these responses!
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    cde79 said:
    > @phronesis said:
    > You from Durham? I’m from Middlesbrough. 

I am! When are you heading down?
    I’m in La Rochelle at the moment. Getting the train to Paris on Saturday morning. 
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Few people asking about the supporters guide. Here’s the one I did a few years back. The supporter spot kms will have changed a bit with the route change this year but locations still look ok. Enjoy! And I take no responsibility 😄
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal said:
    Few people asking about the supporters guide. Here’s the one I did a few years back. The supporter spot kms will have changed a bit with the route change this year but locations still look ok. Enjoy! And I take no responsibility 😄
    This is really great. One point though the estimated start times are different this year. Any good pizza places on Avenue Foch? 
  • phronesis said:
    Radar Sal said:
    This is really great. One point though the estimated start times are different this year. Any good pizza places on Avenue Foch? 
    Foch is all expensive flats, but Victor Hugo area or Argentine in the other direction have plenty of cafes
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    Urgh, my mum just messaged me to say they got scammed in a dodgy taxi so thought I’d pass on to everyone - at Eurostar terminal and airport, there are official taxi ranks signposted and with staff organising people into taxis. DO NOT get a taxi from anywhere else or from anyone offering a ‘cheap’ taxi inside the terminals!! I can’t believe my own mum got scammed-I tried drumming this in to her but these scammers are so convincing 😤
  • @StephA thanks, I read about that the other day as I am planning to get a taxi from Gare du Nord to my hotel tomorrow. Sounds like a big problem.

• @StephA thanks, I read about that the other day as I am planning to get a taxi from Gare du Nord to my hotel tomorrow. Sounds like a big problem.

Don't worry, it's easy to tell the difference - there's an enormous queue for the official taxis!
  • Ooh, hello all! I’m not running Paris this year and hadn’t realised there was a thread. Glad to see my Post of Doom is still relevant  :)

I’m very jealous of you all - Paris is still my favourite big city race and I have many happy memories (not the portaloos, i have no happy memories of them). I left the house yesterday and I could FEEL it was Paris marathon weekend - it gets under your skin!

Have a fab run everyone.
  • @Dom Norrish thank you, I get in just after 9am and can't check in to hotel til 3pm so won't be in a rush lol! 

• @Dom Norrish thank you, I get in just after 9am and can't check in to hotel til 3pm so won't be in a rush lol! 

I think I'm a train after you. (Official) taxi to hotel, drop bags, metro to Expo :)
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    On taxis, sorry to hear about the scam :( the taxi rank is easy to find and definitely don't get a taxi from anywhere else, no matter how long the queue is. I would suggest using public transport rather than taxis though. Paris traffic can be a nightmare and very costly in a taxi. While the metro isn't great with stairs more often than escalators and lifts, it's reliable and fast. Watch your valuables though and be aware of who's around you, like in any big city.  ;)
  • So I finally got to Paris and got my bib etc. at the expo. I can say that it went quite smoothly, didn’t have to wait at all. The only long queue i saw was at the Asics’ pace band section. Also i was very impressed with the number of companies and organizations at the expo!
  • @Radar Sal I would normally use the metro, indeed have done for the previous 3 times, but my friend has an injury and won't be able to manage her luggage up and down all the metro steps. I have checked out the fare and is only 25-30 Euros (our hotel is central Paris) so we consider it money well spent (as long as it's an official taxi of course!) and won't be in a hurry. Last time I took a taxi back to the station from the same hotel after the marathon and it actually took a lot of the stress away. 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    @Radar Sal I would normally use the metro, indeed have done for the previous 3 times, but my friend has an injury and won't be able to manage her luggage up and down all the metro steps. I have checked out the fare and is only 25-30 Euros (our hotel is central Paris) so we consider it money well spent (as long as it's an official taxi of course!) and won't be in a hurry. Last time I took a taxi back to the station from the same hotel after the marathon and it actually took a lot of the stress away. 

Sorry to hear your friend is injured (and if you said earlier and I missed it!). :( Taxis definitely have a place! Forgot to say to watch out for yellow vest protests too on roads. They’re still going on Saturdays but should be ok on Sunday.
  • @Radar Sal thank you, she was due to run but it's looking highly unlikely now. As for me, I have had a chest infection, it's still touch and go as to whether I'll make the start line too :( But we're going to enjoy Paris regardless! Good luck to everyone!  

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    @clairejones so sorry to hear you’re not well either! I’ve been entered 7 times, run 3 and missed 3. This year should tip the balance back to more ran than not. Paris is amazing on marathon day and I’ve really enjoyed supporting when I couldn’t run (more than once in my minion onesie :D). Go easy on Sunday and come to the pub whatever happens! Sometimes it’s been those with the worst races or out due to injury that have had the best time at pub. Everyone has had great, average, hilarious but slow, horrible and dns/dnf races!
  • @Radar Sal thank you. That sounds like a great plan. Remind me which pub and what time time! :smile:
     This was to be my 4th Paris, 9th marathon altogether and my first for 4 years. I am trying to be realistic about it as a chest infection isn't something to be messed with - it really won't be a good idea to run if it's not gone in time. I am thinking if I am not well enough to run the full distance, then maybe I'll just run the first 3 miles as in my opinion that's the best part of the race in terms of atmosphere and scenery so it won't be a completely wasted trip from a running point of view.  :D  

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    http://thecanadianembassypub.com/ Probably be there from 6-7ish...finish time tbc
  • RammpantsRammpants ✭✭✭
    Thanks @clairejones for the hints on the app. Weirdly, the supporters' function just started on my partner's phone today without doing anything. She just now has a 'live' function on it. Hope you get to run with your friend.