Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• @greenpesto thanks, I posted the link a bit further up on this thread if anyone needs it
  • I am a little confused about this live tracking feature as well. I installed the app couple of months ago but do not see any feature as live tracking etc. yet. Will it come later this week with an update or something? Also, will we need to keep the app on during the run or is it just going to feed our current time at checkpoints to the system?
  • Sorry Claire, I had a look but didn't anyone mention it :)
  • You don't need to keep the app on. It's so others can track you on the day, it picks up from your chip. Previously it updated as you passed through each of the timing checkpoints at 5km intervals, I don't know if it has changed to be continuous now, as it's 4 years since I did it last.
  • @clairejones that makes sense, thank you for the clarification!
  • @mentes no worries. It will all become clearer nearer the time anyway :)
  • @greenpesto no worries, this thread moves pretty fast! Probably worth a re-mention anyway :)
  • Just found this thread. Should have looked for it earlier. This is my first marathon. I thought as it might be my only one, to do one I'll remember.

Every time predictor put me at around 3:45- 10k 1/2m, Yassos, two miles all out, so that's my pen. But I could do with some advice as I currently think that time is optimistic.

I could do with some advice from more experienced marathoners. At 15,16 miles, I was doing just under 10 min miles, but, TBH, there wasn't a lot left in the tank for the final couple. For my final long run,-21 miles- I slowed down and felt I could keep that pace up for the full distance fairly comfortably. That pace, though, was 11.45.

Given that , and my that 10k and 1/2/m bests are about 47m and 1h49, how much should I reasonably expect to be speeding up by on race day? At the moment, I'm not sure whether to move back a pen or two, or start at the back of the 3:45 , take it slow to start, then use runners catching up as pacers, playing by ear when, and how much, I quicken up.
  • Just found this thread. Should have looked for it earlier. This is my first marathon. I thought as it might be my only one, to do one I'll remember.

Every time predictor put me at around 3:45- 10k 1/2m, Yassos, two miles all out, so that's my pen. But I could do with some advice as I currently think that time is optimistic.

I could do with some advice from more experienced marathoners. At 15,16 miles, I was doing just under 10 min miles, but, TBH, there wasn't a lot left in the tank for the final couple. For my final long run,-21 miles- I slowed down and felt I could keep that pace up for the full distance fairly comfortably. That pace, though, was 11.45.

Given that , and my that 10k and 1/2/m bests are about 47m and 1h49, how much should I reasonably expect to be speeding up by on race day? At the moment, I'm not sure whether to move back a pen or two, or start at the back of the 3:45 , take it slow to start, then use runners catching up as pacers, playing by ear when, and how much, I quicken up.
    Welcome Andrew

Don't move back a pen, I'd say you're in the right place.

My first Paris was 3:52, off a 10k PB of 46-something and a half of 1:45 I think. I ran a positive split, slowing down quite a bit in the last 4 miles, because until you've gone that far, it's really hard to judge what you'll have left.

My only advice would be to use the pace you've been training at, because everything after 21m will be virgin territory. You never know, you might feel strong the whole way. Hell, you may even speed up towards the end, who knows? So start as you mean to continue. 

Remember, on the day, unlike in any of your long runs, you will be:
    • Fully rested, without fatigued legs
    • Fully adapted to the last 16+ weeks of conditioning
    • Fuelled and hydrated every 5km 
    • Cheered on by thousands
    • Surrounded by other runners
    • A marathoner

In short, you've got this ;)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    AM1 - Great advice Dom.  The only thing I would add is to not too start too fast, start deliberately slow (the first few miles can be frenetic as too many people start far too quickly and burn up far too much energy). See the marathon as an airline flight, the first 3 miles, your just taking off, 3-23, just cruising and then 23-26 prepare to finish, passing a lot of those fast-starters as the run goes on.  
  • I found this podcast today which is someone from last year talking about their experience and has a few good tips <a rel="nofollow" href="https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/join-us-in-france-travel-podcast/id827972274?mt=2" title="Link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/join-us-in-france-travel-podcast/id827972274?mt=2">https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/join-us-in-france-travel-podcast/id827972274?mt=2</a>;

for none iTunes people it’s episode 155 of Join is in france (I also think episode 164 is about it too)
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Hope you’re all excited, and bugs are cleared in time for Paris. Less than a week to go!
    Well done on the PB yesterday, Eggy! Course profile and weather were quite deceptive. And there’s a Viennese park of doom, too. How’s the cake?
    Saw the ‘stool’ flag from a few years ago on this thread quite near the end which spurred me on... 19 minute PB to finish comfortably under 5. 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    FRG2 - Well done! That’s a huge PB.

The cake has been fantastic. The stool flag was being flown by Orbutt, who is a Paris regular. He was supposed to be running but picked up an injury so decided not to run. I had the joy of Mrs Orbutt and Orbutts company on Saturday and Sunday evenings. Two of the nicest people you could meet.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Bon jour!!!! Haven’t been on the forum for a few years but I’m back and running this year. Have done Paris 3 times, supported a couple more and made heaps of friends through this forum over the years. Has a pub for afters been decided? If not, there’s a couple of us from years gone by that are heading to http://thecanadianembassypub.com/ probably for around 6-7pm. Sorry for bursting in at such a late stage :D  
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Eggy can vouch for me too  ;)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hey FRG2. It was brilliant to see you on Sunday and well done on spotting the Stool.
    Eggy told us it was you.
    Congratulations on the PB
  • Hello everyone, my name is Hollie and I’ve just joined. A little late, but never mind! Just wanted to say hello to anyone running this year. I’ll be arriving with my husband and two boys in tow, via Eurostar from London, on Saturday morning. Can’t imavine it’s easy meeting similar paced runners here- with so many runners in the face, so forgive my naivity if so! But If anyone is aiming for the 4.00 hour mark, I’m in the green one and I’d love to run a 3.59, but that would be a massive PB for me. If anyone has any particular Paris advice or is a seasoned four hour Paris marathoner who fancies trying to run/pace me on the day, I’d love the company, no worries if not though. Have a great race all! 
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Really hope they allow you to move to a slower pen. I’m in 3:45 and am aiming for a 4:30. Training didn’t go as expected :) I don’t want to be that guy who the following two pens have to dodge around.

Not sure whether to ask to go to 4:15 or 4:30. Either way, I hope they let me.
  • @Khanivore dont drop don’t drop back to 4.30 or you will be held up by 5-6-7 hour runners as it’s the last pen. Go for 4.15 if you drop back at all. 
  • If you want to drop back to a slower pen, you don't even have to ask - just go to the slower pen on the day. You only need to ask them at the expo to update your race rib if you want to move forward a pen.
  • I’ve just found where you register for an email when the photos are ready. Anyone know how long this normally takes? <a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/event/runners-photos">https://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/event/runners-photos</a>;
    Also I think I paid for a video so same question about that. 

<span>I went to my running club last night and got a bit carried away with pushing hard so if I go tonight I’ll be at the back trying to rest</span>
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I can vouch for RadarSal. Meeting up at the pub afterwards is always great fun. Plus you can avoid boring your non-running friends and family that evening with kilometre by kilometre updates on how your run went!
  • Well done Eggy and FRG2 on your PBs - both big chunks taken off!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice re dropping back.. I’ll keep that in mind.

5 miles easy pace in the rain for me today. Must remember to drink more water between now and the marathon. I’m very bad at that.
  • By the way, I am frequently checking Paris weather forecast and currently accuweather is showing 11 degrees cloudy with showers for Sunday at the moment. I was actually hoping for a warmer spring day with at least some sunshine, but looks like we will have the endure some cool temperatures while waiting for the start.
  • That at sounds perfect marathon running weather to me. We can wear some old warm clothes while waiting to start.