Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• Options
    That is a shame about Spartathlon. My clubmate Sam, who came third in NDW in 30 degree heat, was set to run.
    I'll be surprised if there are any big Spring races on but I guess we just have to wait and see. I might end up doing a couple of ultras rather than a marathon - I'd hoped to do my first ultra in June so if there are no big spring maras, I guess I've got no excuse.
    I've got my 10K next Sunday and sod's law dictates that there are no trains running which is going to be an arse as, thanks to all the Covid measures, I have to be there by 7.40am. I can just about make it if I do a long roundabout journey on the tube at arse o'clock. (I could run there, but it's 8 miles and I doubt I'd have a great 10K after that).

Funeral went as well as can be expected - it was nice to catch up with my godmother's daughters who were close friends of mine when I was a kid. The train journey down there, though, was a pain as there were power lines down or something so the trains from King's Cross were cancelled and I had to get back on the tube to go to Liverpool Street and change at Cambridge.  Eh, well, got there in the end. When I got there, Frances (the elder daughter) cooked dinner and plied me with wine so, being a very infrequent drinker, I ended up a bit hung over.
    Journey home was much better, thankfully.
    Unfortunately, godmother's husband (not officially my godfather though I tend to think of him as such) is on a sharp decline and had to go to hospital and couldn't attend the funeral. I suspect I may be down there again sooner rather than later.

6 recovery-pace miles today - not the nicest run but there was a pretty sky for the first mile or so. Hopefully I'll have a bit more pep in my stride tomorrow.
    On the plus side, I got Garmin working again. The watch needed rebooting, which of course I'd tried, but tech support suggested doing it while it was plugged into the PC and that did the trick.
  • Options
    Jools...Thanks very much for the link. I think the loop we'll run in the marathon is 7x the 1st loop you seem to have done (holt road, ridley wood lane, past the ind estate and oak rd), so looks like it could be a decent loop for a fast time hopefully, not much climb in it. Anyone any advice on what Wrexham is like for the day before (not beers) and after the race (lots of beers :lol:) while i'm on the subject. This is all dependent on it actually going head of course, no chickens are being counted yet.

TR...Yea i think bigger races will be further away than spring unfortunately. Nice MLR.

John...Enjoy the haircut, and good luck for the 10k. It'll be nice to be back racing, and with no real pressure.

Cal...You'd imagine ultras would have more of a chance of being on, they naturally lend themselves to socially distancing. Hopefully you can come up with an easier way of getting to the start of the 10k, doesn't sound ideal. Sorry to hear about your Godfather too, that is tough. Good news on getting the Garmin fixed though, and hopefully today's recovery will add the pep back into your stride.

Like Cal, I ran a 6 mile recovery this morning too.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hamo-Wrexham is not the best of places,if you can bother Chester is a 15 min train ride and much nicer to eat and drink in.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Cal: funerals are never nice so glad it was ok considering. Certainly puts life in perspective. I think an ultra is a good idea with covid - as you know Centurion have already run the NDW100 and Macca is doing the TP100 this weekend so they are back in full swing without any issues so far.
    Macca: sorry Sparta has been cancelled - hopefully you get in next year again and they roll over.
    John: good luck with the 10km - I found it a shock to the system to race again but it was lovely to be back at it as well! And good lcuk with the haircut :smile: 
    TR: agreed re bigger Spring races. Hope the 12mi went well
    Jools: I get the impression you do like you food and beer :smile: 
    12mi this morning for me. Legs felt tired but I seemed to run it well and wasn't struggling with breath so maybe just a bit of tiredness with the kids back at school this week and a trip to London yesterday.
  • Options
    Macca - Sorry to hear about Sparta, but good luck with TP100.
    Jools - Yes, seems that MP run was more manageable pace wise for 26 miles!!
    John - Good luck with the 10k, yes, the darkness does make things seem faster than they are!
    Hamo - Yeah never great going back to the headtorch after the lovely summer mornings!
    AWC - Nice MLR.

Easy 8 miles today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Tough times on the family front cal. Good news re the garmin.

Im in the 6m easy camp today too, mp run tomorrow, i had best have a few frothies tonight to loosen up and hydrate.

Goodwood folks are still confident, hope so as its nearly taper time.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: thanks for the Goodwood update - was thinking of emailing but if you've heard positive things then that's good enough for me Should get us through our MP runs on the weekend!
    Macca: forgot to wish you all the best for the TP tomorrow - IIRC you finished really high up like top 10 or something last year?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    AWC - i emailed them earlier in week, they say they are still on, but wont commit to wave sizes or times yet until they know how many are in each race. I was hoping they'd keep numbers pretty low, so its not congested.
  • Options
    Conditions looked good for a 5K today although I wasn't sure I'd be on top form given the tempo on Wednesday, not to mention traveling to the funeral and then a 5 mile walk to the cinema yesterday after the 6 mile run I did before breakfast.
    Ran 3 miles to Battersea Park, had a quick stretch and then set out. I ran at what I thought felt like 8 minute pace, but when I went through the mile it was 8:46. Too slow, so I decided to abort and then try again. Quick breather then second time. First mile this time was 8:30 which was still too slow but I decided just to get on with it. It wasn't a good run - I felt a bit awkward running at speed and legs had nothing. Miles 2 and 3 were in the 8:40s again. Finished in 26:56 which is mediocre for me. When I looked at the data after, stride length was a bit down (under a metre - it's usually just over at 5K pace) so cadence was sky high to compensate. No wonder I felt a bit unsteady. The shorter stride was likely due to fatigue from Wednesday, but my groin's also been slightly niggly so I might have been subconsciously holding back as I don't want to get myself injured before the 10K and marathon.
    Jogged the three miles back again so did 10 total.
    Tomorrow's going to be fun.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - banked, move on i guess.....ive fone the last 2 Chichester 10ks as 5m, 10k, 9m, so you could run to your 10k.  I just do it as trainjng accepting i might noylt be 100%.

So on the same hm route, undulating first couple and last couple of miles, flat in the middle and 4 180 turns, but its quiet and gives me something to compare against.

July 11 - 1:27:14
    Aug 1 - 1.27.02
    Today - 1:27:04

Tough today, effort felt too hard, bit of breeze and my stomach issue ached. Hped to go under 1.27, but solid enough on a tired day. Reckon id gain a minute on the flat, but cant see me being in 252 shape. Goodwood is very dependent on getting a clear path on the track and how windy it is.
    These solo 1/2 maras are tough but in lieu of racing they will hopefilly do me good.

Roll on beer time, im thirsty. 20m total.
  • Options
    Cal - wouldn’t worry too much about a 5k, it can be tough to push yourself enough on one of those outside a race. And some of us are just not cut out for speed, I struggle in anything less than a HM. Priority should be the marathon as you say. 

TR - strong and consistent, great confidence booster. Are you bringing out the fast shoes for Goodwood?

Felt good yesterday morning with a speedy feeling haircut but there were storms on Fri and overnight, leaving low lying fog as the sun was coming up. That meant it was humid on the course, which is an out and back in a national park along a road next to a river. The starting corral was setting runners off in 2 lanes according to times. Seemed to be fewer runners than in the past and none of the faster ones, so I was probably about 12th off the line. 

It’s a gradual and undulating uphill on the way out, with a couple of steeper climbs for about 400m. I tried joining a group of 6 just ahead but they were just a bit too far ahead at the start. Went out a bit fast given the hills but the adrenaline of racing kicked in. Any hills were draining given the lack of speed and hill work and was solo from about 3k. The group gradually broke up but edged away and the big hill at halfway was really tough, think I slowed to about 4:24 for that km. 

Although the way back is net downhill it still has a few bumps and got overtaken by one other runner. Otherwise it was a quiet race and crossed the line in 39:20. Was hoping to break 39 and was 50s off my course PB but I guess its acceptable for a first race in 6 months. Others seemed to find it tough as well, maybe about a minute slower than usual so maybe not such a poor run. Good just to be racing again and will try to do the next couple as well now the rust buster is out of the way. 

Tired legs this morning but got out early and managed 20 miles. Definitely one of those where you just get it done. No photos  today as I just needed to grind it out. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    John - good rust buster pretty tidy time given first race in a while and your longer distance focus recently........normal shoes for Goodwood, the 4% need a few build up races, even then im not sure id wear them in a mara, they were pretty unstable in my one race in them so far.

6m easy peasy pace.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    TR: well done that’s a strong effort on your own. Looking good for GW.

John: that’s an excellent result for the first race in 6 months. Shows how consistent you’ve been over lock down!

20mi with 14mi at MP this morning. Tough run mentally but manageable - around 7min/mi for the MP miles which was a shade fast I think but not too bad. Was thinking sub 3:10 for GW but I can hopefully get close to my PB of 3:07 now.
    Strava tells me I ran a 1:31 HM so clearly there was some problem a couple of weeks ago at Down Royal which was 1:33!
  • Options
    Well done John - I guess we're all a bit ring rusty, so to speak, so that's a decent result.

TR, I think I will be wearing my 4% for Dorney - did Yorkshire in them and a few halves so I'm pretty confident in them. The Alphas will be staying in the box until the next big marathon, whenever that will be. I think I'll need some practise in them so I can get used to the stack height.

Excellent running, AWC. I've not tried doing MP miles during a 20 - probably a bit late to try that now.

A new route for me along the Thames Path. I've run from Battersea to Tower Bridge and I've done quite a few races that cover sections to the west - Kew to Richmond, Richmond to Kingston and Hampton Court - but I'd never run between Battersea and Kew.

I started by running down to Battersea Park (3 miles) and then set out along the path from there. Initially it's a nice paved walk - there are a lot of (probably very expensive) flats along the river so the river path is quite new and nicely landscaped. I crossed the Wandle at Wandsworth and spotted a cormorant - first time I've actually gone to where it goes into the Thames - then through Wandsworth Park which is by the river. I had to take a parallel street at that point as the path doesn't go all the way along, but then it goes back to the river for a while until Putney Bridge.

There were loads of rowing clubs out (actually they were mostly from schools, I noticed) which was nice to see - one boat kept me company for a good stretch and I made a point of trying to keep ahead of it. It was one of the school clubs so they weren't too fast - still learning, I guess.

The path here was stony dirt and it got less pleasant to run on as I skirted around the Barnes Wetlands section. I'd originally considered doing the run as an out and back, but after a couple of miles on that surface I decided that I would come off the path at some point and head back along the roads. Less scenic, but easier on my old feet.

At Barnes I headed under the bridge where I'd marshalled the last two Thames Riverside 20 races my club organises. There was a narrow paved section here, and it was a bit wet and slippery in places. It went back to stony dirt again after a bit, so I started thinking about getting off it. I wasn't quite sure where I was at this point but saw a young man and a dog coming out of a path to the side so I nipped down there.  It turned out to be about quarter of a mile from Kew Gardens.
    I found myself on a main road so headed in roughly the direction I thought I should be going and eventually a road sign revealed I was on the South Circular, which would take me almost all the way home. While I was glad to be running on pavement again, it was pretty boring and when I spotted Barnes Common on my left, I took a footpath through it. I thought I could hop back onto the South Circular at the end but I came out on a different road (according to the map, Marc Bolan's shrine is here, near where he died in a car crash - but I didn't spot it).
    I kept going along the road (there was so, so many cyclists - big groups of them, probably heading for Richmond Park) and eventually came back to Putney. I opted to hop back onto the Thames Path and then ran back through Wandsworth to Wandsworth Common.

I hit 20 miles on the section near Wandsworth Common station and decided that was enough. I walked it in from there - almost a mile but I figured it would do my legs more good than running to my door and then stopping.

Time was 3:28:51 - better than last week, and a strong neg split, though last week had a lot of hills. Legs actually felt a bit more trashed, though - probably a mix of being pre-fatigued (this week was 58 miles) and being a flatter course, which meant the muscles being stressed in the same way throughout. Epsom salt bath was much needed and I feel much better now.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done AWC, you sound on good shape. Your HM a couple of weeks ago was defo compromised. Im not sure you can do a 1/2 quicker than mp in training (or im not sure i could), you were well inside 1.33 pace to so look on for a possible pb, with a clear route and light winds in 3 weeks.

Cal - sounds a good run there, good to have lots to entertain you too. I agree with your shoe plan, ive only worn my 4% once though.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: Agreed re the HM in training. I ran pretty much the same before my 3:07 - only difference is i totally rinsed myself finishing 4th in a 50 miler 3 weeks before that one so hopefully I’ll be a bit fresher for GW. 

Cal: really good 20 miler there especially with a negative split. Good sign when you finish strong like that. Sounds like a nice route as well.
  • Options
    Nice 10K John. Doesn't sound like the quickest course but definitely better to have a downhill 2nd half.
    Excellent MP run AWC. Certainly bodes well for Goodwood.
    Another solid w/e banked Cal.
    I'd initially planned to do another 20M today but after racing 9.4M over the Brecon Beacons yesterday I decided that was probably a bit foolhardy so set out on an out & back along the Wye. Did 21.5K at 7:51 in the end. I was going along around 8min/M til 11M then threw in 8x200m hard off 90s which brought the average down nicely.
  • Options
    A quick check in, some great LRs over the weekend Cal, TR, AWC, some sensible sessions Jools and a decent race John.

I finished the TP 100 in 18hrs 11mins early hours of Sunday morning for 14th place.  A great race so professionally organised and in near perfect conditions.  I’ll try to get a bit more detail down in the next day or two but for now recovery is the order of the day.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done Macca! Was tracking you all day Saturday. Great time and great placing. 
  • Options
    Ian...Cheers for the info, I'll look into Chester once the marathon is confirmed. I've been to Chester before, lovely place in fairness, didn't dawn on me that it was so close. 

AWC...Nice MLR, and even better MP LR. You are in PB shape i reckon, that is a class 14 miles on your own, they are always tough.

Steve...Nice easy 8.

TR...Well done on the pre and post hydrating, very important :lol: I wouldn't be discounting 2.52, that is a very strong MP run, and consistent with your previous ones even with a sore stomach etc. As i said to AWC, they are always tough on your own. 

Cal...Good effort on your 5k, as TR says it's a hard effort that's banked now, and you are right, sub consciously you probably were holding back a little. Lovely long run, fair play racing a rowing boat, class :lol: Good sign that neg split, you are in better nick than you give yourself credit for i reckon.

John...Well done on the 10k. Very quick time for your first race in a while, rust buster is a very apt term for it. That and the humidity wouldn't have helped either, but you still ran well, excellent work.

Jools...More than decent LR with efforts after racing the day before. How'd the race go?

Macca...Brilliant running at the TP100, well done, that is a cracking time and position. I'll wait patiently for the full report, yours are usually top notch.

My 10k race on Saturday went well. Back to Down Royal racecourse again and like the half mara me and AWC ran there two weeks ago, it was windy in the same places (down the back straight), but overall not a bad day. A 3 mile warm up and a few strides, then onto a low key start line, and we were off. Ran with a fella from Derry for the 1st mile, in 5.07 feeling good, but always knew he was quicker than me, ad when he pulled away i let him go and settled into a manageable pace for me. Was very like the half, in that one mile you had the wind behind/to the side of you so a quicker split and the next mile it was in your face slowing you down, but i was pleased running a hard even effort even if the splits are a bit like steps and stairs. I came home in 2nd, in a new pb (by 2 secs :lol:) of 32.47 so can't be bad to that. In the end i made the right decision not to chase first, as he finished 57 secs ahead of me, and as 3rd was 2 mins 14 secs behind, it was a race on my own for the vast majority of it.

That was followed up by an 18 mile LR on Sunday, all ran in the +20 pace range, legs felt good enough to run at a decent pace, but I didn't want to push them too much after racing the day before. That gave me 97 miles for the week.

I have 1 more big week (103 miles) of training before the taper now, and I started that off with a 6 mile recovery run this morning.

Just have to hope Wrexham gets the go ahead, the RD's last email on Friday has given this Friday as a definite on or off announcement date. He is hopeful and confident it'll be on, but as hes waiting on one more sign off he can't guarantee it.
  • Options
    Hi all, apologies for the radio silence. Work is ridiculously busy at the moment so struggling to fit everything in.
    Just wanted to say congratulations to Macca on the 100. A great result!!

I`m now tapering for the CW50 on Saturday so will be nice to pin a number back on.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - youll defo be fresher this time then.

Cracking work macca racing 100m in one go is so bonkers, ive done 90ish in a big week a few times (100m needs ~14m a day av) and you race it all in one go.

Hamo - top stuff, you're defo in good nick. Top bombing. Youd go much quicker in a competetive race. Hope you get the wrexham sign off, i didnt realise it wasnt defo on. 

Millsy - just the 50 ! Macca would go round again.

13m tonight, still feeling a bit abused by Saturdays mp.

Run through put on a pretty well reviewed 5k and 10k yday in Battersea Park, so hopefully they'll do a good job at Goodwood, and have a covid plan that works like yday.
  • Options
    Great racing again Hamo. I wonder how much more you would've taken off if it'd been a bit more competitive up the front?
    Fell race was a fun day out. It was a TT format with 30 runners going out at 1 minute intervals. No atmosphere pre-race as I was going off 13th & got there with moments to spare - not even time for any warm-up beyond the 200m jog to the start from the car! Went past 10 but was overtaken by 4. Was 8th in the end as the chap who started last is a ferocious descender so although he didn't catch me he made up enough time to beat me.
    A couple of photos from the 1st climb & one at about 8M in

Another class performance Macca. Was that a PB?
    Good luck Millsy.
    Dusted the bike off for this morning's commute then ran home the long way for 12.5M. I'll reverse that tomorrow keeping the run short though.

• Options
    Great job, Macca, that's a great time! I think if I was going to go for a 100 miler it would be that one, as it's not far for me to get to the start and it's flatter than the others. :D I'm a way off that yet, though, having not done a single ultra yet. I do find myself tempted by NDW50 but not sure if I'm ready for that yet...what do you guys reckon?

Love that waterfall photo, Jooligan. Beautiful scenery. I'd shit myself if I had to cross that, though, what with my falling over record.

Millsy, good luck mate.

TR, I've done a lot of Runthrough events and they're always good (the flapjacks are legendary, do make sure you get one). Goodwood will be fine.

hamo, well done on the PB (a PB's a PB, right?) I can't conceive of a 100 mile week - I feel pretty beat up after logging 58 last week.

On that subject, I've decided to take a second rest day today. Monday's always a rest day unless for some reason I don't do a long run on the Sunday. I actually slept poorly on Sunday night (a bit like when I don't sleep well after a marathon) and spent yesterday feeling run down and tired. I was almost starting to worry I might be coming down with Corona (maranoia takes a sinister turn in these times!) but then reminded myself I often feel like this when I'm deep into marathon training.
    Another disturbed night last night but I do feel better this morning. However, my groin and achilles are both pretty sore - I actually got out of bed at 2:30am to foam roll, so I think some gentle walking and rehab will do me more good than a recovery run. With a 10K on Sunday and Dorney marathon coming soon, there's no point flogging myself.
    I've also found out Valencia's cancelled - no surprise really. Just glad I didn't get around to booking hotels and flights.
  • Options
    Millsy...Best of luck with the CW50.

TR...Good that they put on a successful and safe race, has to bode well for Goodwood. Nice 13 miler, has to have been tough with the MP in the legs.

Jools...That is a cracking photo of the waterfall. Well done on the race, i think that is the way it's going to be for a while unfortunately, but it's better than nothing. Good numbers, going past 10 but only getting took by 4.

Cal...No point in flogging yourself is right, best decision to make and hopefully the foam rolling (admire your dedication at 2.30 am :lol:) and walking will help sort you out. Seen that about Valencia, yea, it was always going to cancel in hindsight unfortunately.

10 mile GA this morning.
  • Options
    Not so much dedication as necessity - I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep and part of the reason was down to discomfort. I did get another couple of hours after that.
  • Options
    That was my favourite pic too. The climb was to the top of the escarpment in the background which we then ran along before dropping down to a hanging valley, descending along a stream then contouring back below it before descending along a gnarly rocky track.
    I think everyone's sorted already but in case not RogueRuns (organisers of the Severn Bridge Half amonst other things) are putting on a flat measured marathon TT from Oldbury power station on October 4th. Just130 places & only £20/22 Entries open end of the week through Fabian4.co.uk

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Cracking photos Jools

Shame re valencia Cal, ill hope for a post race flapjack then.

Easy miles here too Hamo, but only 6. Im cutting back now my body is groaning.

Ive been doing so much groin and stomach stretching that ive annoyed something under my ledt bum cake, feels like ive been shot in the butt, will get on the spiky ball.
  • Options
    Bum cake? :D Damn you autocorrect! (Hope it's nothing serious. I've actually stopped stretching as much, it just seems to piss my body off more than it helps).

And so, yeah, I've entered an ultra. Lea Valley 50K at the end of November (since I don't have Valencia to worry about). It goes from Welwyn Garden City to Hackney so will be easy to get home from afterwards. Don't know much about race beyond that - it's new. Should be quite flat though, if it's along the river.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yes, bum cake (glute ?). Yes, i do find its possible to annoy niggles at tims, ill try some squats, lunges, deadlifts later but just the bar (no weights). Nice one on the 50k, good to have a fixture for November on the list.