Options

A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Second day running, physio later. Very wet up here, many puddles and raining!

YTD: 562.26
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    5 to add from an evening jog around my 5 mile loop, and it was a jog. I use an old, well very old garmin which I'd forgotten to charge! Without timing the run, I really do lack motivation. 

In other news, I'm doing a mass participation event in early August. The York 10k. 

Ytd:733.8
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone, congrats on 400 TT.
    Second vaccine on Saturday for me and then drive to Abingdon taking daughter to a meeting. So a couple of quiet days.
    Got out for a run around Abingdon, lovely wee town...running along and met a guy running. He invited me along and I got a perfect guided tour of the town.
    1053 miles YTD 

Off to Scotland for a few days later this week so some trails could happen.
  • Options
    TT, swap you, haven’t seen rain in 16 months! Rained one day march 2020 since then nada. 

Runstreak day 188

3.7 6.06
    4.7 3.04
    5.7 4.04 and 3.3
    6.7 3.3

YTD 1050.33 miles

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Nice miles Dubai, streak is very impressive. 
    Apologies TT, should have been congrats to MrM2 for hitting 400.
    Back on the coast path today for 8 miles. Quite busy out there & got chatting to a guy running around S Wales for the RSPCA.
    1061 miles YTD 

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: I spent a few days by the Thames near Abingdon in May. Nice place. Did there separate runs on the tow path, lovely place to run.

Dubai: keep going, 365 is on the cards. 

8.2 making Ytd 742.0
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I spent three years living in that part of Oxfordshire between late 89 and end of 92. It was actually a really miserable three years (recession and resulting depression - my then boyfriend got a job there so we moved, but I couldn't find work bar some really rubbish temp jobs interspersed with periods of unemployment and little income) and I was pleased to get back to London. Abingdon itself is quite pleasant but I have no desire to do the marathon there due to my memories of the place being tinged with the black cloud I was under at the time. One of the temp jobs I had, briefly, was on a huge industrial estate where I had to glue cardboard boxes together using glue guns. They gave us no safety equipment and most of us ended up with burns. I still have a scar on my thumb. I gather the marathon goes through said estate, so I'd rather not.

Dubai, I think I mentioned that it rained briefly on the day we went to Yas Waterworld and Ferrari World. Emiraties cannot handle driving in it, at all - we passed half a dozen crashes on our way from Dubai to Abu Dhabi.

I did two gym days Monday and Tuesday, so was fresh today and did an exploratory 10 miler which was rather enjoyable. I feel I am getting back to my old self - paces and HR are both improving, even if I lack any top end speed for the time being.

YTD: 553
  • Options
    Cal, you’re right, no idea how to drive in the rain. Also in the heat the rubber on the wiper blades goes dozy so they’re useless. Everyone still thinks they can drive at 140kph on the freeway with no drainage. Best to avoid the road if you can.

Spent the day trying to decide where to go on holiday. My European colleagues are heading to Europe as they’re opening and have been for citizens, no sign of being able to travel to the UK even though we are all vaccinated. Infuriating when you see crowds at the football and tennis.

Hobie, supporting Denmark tonight like me?

Runstreak day 189, 4.04 miles

YTD 1054.37 miles

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Happily avoiding football tonight at club run...no offence to England but I'm massively bored of hearing about it and about 1966...no other country or sport bangs on about what happened decades ago.

Anyway a nice club trail run tonight, lots of hills and fields...horses, cows, sheep, goats...we had them all.

1068 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Hobie, I didn't watch it but with skynews on in the kitchen this morning I feel like I was there. 
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    For some reason it was very quiet on my run this morning, managed to avoid all news about football till 0800! Last 1.5 miles at 8.55 a mile, very pleased. 

DR gladly swap you some rain for sunshine, we have thunderstorms here today. 

YTD: 567.36
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch it either...I was tired so I stuffed earplugs in and went to bed.

5 mile recovery plod this morning.

YTD: 558
  • Options
    I did watch the game - looking forward to the Final on Sunday.

Just two 4.20 miles this week - visits to hospital to see daughter who is unwell.  Hopefully she will be discharged tomorrow.

YTD = 732.37 miles

Just got the email from GNR - it will start and finish in Newcastle because of COVID - wave starts mean the last starters will set off hours after the first wave.

Hope to recover enough to make my 2:40 pacing slot interesting.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    All the best to your daughter, Harmander. When I've seen GNR on the telly, it always seemed that the slower runners were standing around for ages, so lord knows how much worse it'll be with the waves. I think the different finish would be better for a lot of people, though, logistically speaking.

5 today - 2 warm-up and 3.11 tempo. Managed not to fade this time, though it still feels very hard. Fitness is coming back slowly, though. I'm moving in the right direction.

YTD: 563
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander I do hope your daughter is being very well looked after. Cal good to see you on the same road as me, IE recovery.

Very humid this morning and I tried to do up as much as I could, not the elevation gain of many people on here but a lot for me, 109 metres.

YTD: 578.37
  • Options
    Thank you all, she is back home now - had acute pancreatitis. Her Gallbladder was removed a few years ago so digestive system not 100%.

Re the GNR - yes the new route is basically up to halfway on the old course then doubling back.  Based on my experience of the course it will be tougher as there are more hills in the first half so runners will tackle them twice.  They hope to return to the old course next year.

Start time waves start at 9:15 and last wave will start at 12:05. - Guess many will be able to see the leading groups twice - when setting off and returning - before the slower runners even set off.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh I bet that's painful. All the best to her.
  • Options
    Thank you Cal and everyone else - She is our eldest and will be 40 in September
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to your daughter Harmander.
    Holiday runs for me so only short ones...a bit of Stand up paddleboarding...Scottish weather has been epic, 20+ degrees and hot sunshine, beers and barbies going well.
    1079 miles YTD 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    '20+' in Scotland!? That's real kilt weather...Lovely pic. again!

It's been a tough week for us. Mrs M's brother, in Brazil, went into hospital with Covid several weeks ago; intensive care, ventilator...full works. Thankfully he pulled through (?) and is now out of intensive care. A couple of weeks after his hospitalisation his wife went into hospital with Covid. She is still in intensive care, but possibly starting to show some improvement, but still needs oxygen. A couple of weeks later their daughter also went to hospital with Covid. Sadly, she died last Sunday, and was buried the same day. Not sure if the parents will be able to take the news. 

Garmin has managed to wipe out all my running history on the watch and on the lap-top, when I agreed to an up-date. Never mind; I keep my own records.

Now seem to be bothered by an abdominal strain. Not sure if my running is making it worse or just telling me about it?

Had a serious 'fade' on my last two runs by the coast (a 10' and a 6') but this morning's roadside run, in Chipping Norton, was about average. Only a 5k, in about 31:30. (Close to 10min/mile pace.) 

YTD: 419' .
  • Options
    OMG MrM2, was pleased to learn about the recovery of your relatives and absolutely gobsmacked about the younger one.  My thoughts are with you - stay strong my friend.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Lovely picture, Hobie!
    That's really sad, MrM2 - very sorry about your niece. And the Garmin thing is annoying. I have years of data on Connect - I'd be really cross if it got wiped. I have been using Strava as well for the past year (just the free, web version) so it's worth doing that if you don't already.

I did a run to Wimbledon Common today to attempt a recce of the race I'll be doing in a week and a half (I have run it before, but back in 2019). I completely and utterly failed to follow the course, which is a lot more complicated when you don't have marshals and other runners to follow. I also managed to stack it on a tree root, but since the ground was soft, I wasn't hurt, aside from my pride and having to run home with dirt all up my side. Due to the various navigational errors, the entire run came in at 15 miles, so I'm rather tired now.

YTD: 578
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: condolences. Extra difficult when people are so far away. 

Harmander: positive news about your daughter. 

5 and 8.1 to add making 755.1
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Harmander, Cal and Donnie. Some small improvements with wife's brother and his wife. My first memories of the niece are from 1975; this little toddler loved to jump off the kitchen table for me to catch her. 

Cal... glad you didn't get injured with that trip. And 15 miles?! Yes, I am on Strava. (Michael Madder) My son convinced me a few years ago. Now it is part of the running ritual. Also I keep an eye on friends in Holland and N.I. as well as UK.
    I'll be happy to enter this morning's run; I was feeling a bit more rested today, so ran the same 5k as yesterday, and managed to go under 30 mins. First time since February!!

Had an e-mail from Yorkshire Marathon; 100 days to go! First of all, I hope that I'll be in good enough shape to make the trip worthwhile, and secondly...I hope that it will go ahead! (I see that Dublin has been cut for the second year!)

YTD 422' .

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Following you on Strava MrM2, hope you're good with that. Bit of good news about your wifes brother and wife.
    Generally I hate 5k runs...in the red all the way and no chance for cake breaks...but tried my best today around the harbour on holiday in Scotland. Felt ok.
    3.33 miles in 24.40
    We have running club virtual 5k series starting on Tuesday so thought I should practice.
    1082 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Excellent, MrM2...you're on the up. I've followed you...feel free to follow back although I've set it that I have to approve followers to avoid spam (already had two dubious ones from "dating" sites that I've had to block).
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 I am so sorry to hear about your niece. In my thoughts and prayers. 

Harmander the GNR sounds interesting, I can see the advantages of running back through Newcastle for the runners but the traffic might be held up for quite a while!

MrMr2 are you aiming for Yorkshire??

Very quiet this morning, decided to run a little faster, 5km in 26.04 plus WU and WD. 

YTD: 583.49
  • Options
    TT - unless one parks South of the course near South Shields, its the same there. Town Moor (have run a couple of marathons there too) versus the coast at South Shields for the finish - Coast with the Red Arrows display over the sea any day please.
    I am just glad its going ahead tbh.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie and Cal...Happy to have you following....will reciprocate.  Thanks.

Thanks TT. Very kind.  Yes. I am aiming for Yorkshire. Would be good to get another run in the England vest. But 2 years older, and struggling to get back to real fitness, very unlikely that I'll be able to defend my 1st.M75 from 2019.

Should have mentioned that I never did get to run on the Bournemouth track last week. It has just been totally re-laid. They've also got new lighting and an additional jump-pit. They were still finishing off the in-field. Plan is to re-open on the 24thJuly. Coincides with the Bournemouth parkrun re-start. 
    Nor did I get to run my mile circuits, on grass. (It's good to have a plan!!)

News from Brazil continues to be positive, but things can change very quickly. We pray on.
  • Options
    That's fantastic news MrM2,

Had my hospital appointment earlier today - had a steroid injection in the other knee now - hope they don't do any drug testing at these small races I plan to run.