Options

A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Harmander try compeed plasters, they work miracles on the rare occasions I have blisters (usually from 'normal' shoes!)

MrMr2 my targets are much lower than they used to be, today's was put trainers on, the run was an added bonus. 

Hobie hopefully that back is healing quickly. 

Donnie that sounds like a good race, I think it is the price which has put me off in previous years, and the fact for some unknown reason Yorkshire can be quite hot in August 😀

DH well done on that 700.

Target one met: trainers on, even added a run! 

YTD: 662.15
  • Options
    Thank you Dangerous Hamster and Cal. Congrats on the 700 too to both of you.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Determined to run longer today. Set off slow...and got slower and slower! 2 hours for 10 miles!!! (I'm getting the hang of this 'slow running'!) Thinking about returning to some 'walk/run' miles, to see if I can find a bit of pace.
    Got home just as the call was coming through from Brazil; our relative passed away in hospital this morning.
    Now my wife's brother has to come to terms with his wife's death, in addition to his daughter's.

Well done to the 700 mile club!

YTD: 502' .
  • Options
    > @Cal Jones said:
    > Congrats on the 700, DH! Almost there myself. :)

4 miles, you can knock that out today ;)

Sadly its a certain rest day for me now, felt some twinges back in my ankle after ligament injury so it's ice ice baby for me today and see how it is tomorrow. Nothing major this time being cautious
  • Options
    Condolences MrM2, sorry to hear your news.

Hoping to get double day runs in for the next week, the beauty of dual nationality is that my family have been able to travel home to Ireland as the Taoiseach has opened up for vaccinated citizens and visitors and UAE is not red list, unlike if we travelled to the UK with its higher rate of infection and deaths.

Runstreak day 217

31.7 4.18
    1.8 3.53
    2.8 4.04 and 4.04
    3.8 3.3 and 4.27
    4.8 5.04 (hydration pack on but it was 42 degrees)

YTD 1155.03 miles

• Options
    Oh my god, MrM2, that is going to be devastating for him. So sorry.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dubai and Cal...Yes, going to be a tough time. They were married for 54 years.

Not disheartened by yesterday's 10 mile slow run. Feeling well recovered and went out for a 'brisk' 5k.
    Happy to go under 30mins again. 

YTD: 505' .
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear of your loss MrM2. My thoughts are with you sir.
  • Options
    That's good progress, MrM2.

3 miles recovery this morning, then my 5 mile trail race in the evening. I struggled with the technical second mile and the mud that had appeared on course since the last race, but the fact it was 7 degrees cooler meant for a much better run from me and it was 2 minutes quicker than last time, even if it was still rather slower than in 2019. Still finding my form but it does seem to be returning.

8 miles total, so over the 700 mark.

YTD: 704
  • Options
    Second run didn’t happen yesterday, drinks at the polo club sounded much more fun, that is at least until I ran this morning. 42 degrees at 0845 helped sweat it all out!

Runstreak day 218 5.14 miles

YTD 1160.17 miles

• Options
    So sorry to hear your sad news MrM2, condolences to your family.

Well done on 700 Cal, and other milestones.

Tried a run last night at running club...hour commute home from work was very uncomfortable on the back but running felt good...I may advertise it on line as a cure for sore backs, covid & a poor wifi signal.

1181 miles YTD
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Mr MM: sorry to hear your news. Hopefully running can be an escape.

Cal: 700 and counting quickly. Well done and form returning in time for the autumn events.

Since the York 10k last Sunday, I did a rather sore 5 miles on Monday and a more comfortable 5 on Wed.

Ytd: 829.2
  • Options
    Hobie, I had a twinge in my back a few years ago and had the car heated seats on full blast helped..

Still keeping ahead of me.. 
  • Options
    10 this morning at a very slow plod. Donnie...hopefully, if I don't drop dead or something. I got a letter from the cardiologist asking me to go back for a further scan, contrary to what my doc's receptionist said. So of course I spent the night stressing about that and did not sleep well.

YTD: 714
  • Options
    Runstreak day 219

5.35 and 10k on the treadmill so 6.21

YTD 1171.73 miles

• Options
    6 miles logged today - jogged three miles to Brockwell Park (I was marshalling at the parkrun) then three miles back again. Absolutely torrential rain for a lot of it so got soaked and cold. Such is life.

YTD: 720
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 so sorry to hear your news. 

Cal are you having to do the stress test? If so mention you are a runner and say what your 5km pace is, otherwise you may be there.for a long time as they try to increase your HR enough. 

Couple of runs to log, and both were not in rain! 

Decided to pull out of Yorkshire Marathon, not an easy decision but the right one. 

YTD: 673.05
  • Options
    They've not asked me to do that, TT but I'll bear it in mind in case they do. The docs know I am a runner, at least. Sorry about Yorkshire.

Ran my 10K race today (after running three miles there as a warm-up). I aimed to do a steady pace to gauge where I'm at and finished in 55:22. That's a long way from where I was before lockdown and injuries, but it's a start.

YTD: 729
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for kind thoughts. So helpful.

TT...Sorry that you have decided to pull out of Yorkshire. I'm still hoping to have a marathon ready by then!??
    Hobie... Hope that your back will be up to full strength, soon.
    Cal... You should be pleased with that 10km, at this stage of recovery.

Tried a 'walk-run' 10km yesterday. Worked out quite well. 5kms were 31 and 32mins, so 63mins for 10km. One of my best times since February! Approx 1min walk and 4 mins run. Just a slight groin discomfort. So, still some way to go.

YTD: 511' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal well done on that 10km, I know what you mean about being a long way away from where you were, as you say, it's a start.

MrMr2 it's the long runs I am struggling with, up to 9/10 I am fine, then I just lose it. I think it is more mental but I am going to build up a good base then look at next year. One of the local clubs is putting on their HM in October, starts and ends on Brid prom!

A brick this morning.

YTD: 677.25
  • Options
    Sorry to hear MrMr2, hope everyone doing as best they can...

Cal hope you are doing ok as well with the ticker, hope they get you in soon with the waiting lists...

26km in 2 runs over the weekend, feel like I'm getting back to the point I was at 4 months ago

YTD 728 miles / 1172 Kms
  • Options
    A race happened, Beast Bach (Little Beast)...11ish miles 2000ft ish climbing.

Rain even stopped in the hills, so it was a bit warm.
    1201 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    TT: Pity about the Yorkshire marathon. I'm not that experienced about running marathons but I really wouldn't fancy it with anything less than 'proper' preparation. You've probably done the right thing. I also always think an early decision helps in this sort of situation.

MM: Maybe not quite what you'd like, but a 'best time since February' is never to be sniffed at.

Last summer life was work, run, water my greenhouse (which isn't any sort of euphemism) and sleep. I liked being able to run most days. This year as thing return, running is getting a little squeezed. Two since last Wednesday, 10k on Sunday morning before going to a friends 60th birthday 'do' and 5 miles after work last night making   

YTD: 841.0
  • Options
    Awesome job, Hobie!
    dh - yeah my next appointment is September 10th so not too long to wait.

A 5 mile plod today - heavy legs so went easy. Sleep was terrible last week and while it was better last night, it has obviously impacted my recovery as I should have felt better than I did given the lack of a long run on Sunday. Hopefully I'll be perkier tomorrow.

YTD: 734
  • Options
    I normally get to about 700-800 miles each calendar year by October time then realise I’m running out of weeks to hit the big 1000!!! I tend to stop recording and limp to 850-900 if I’m lucky.

Not this year though!! Mile 800 coming up next week as I haven’t dipped below 20 per week since I started in Feb. <div>
    </div><div>Do you guys scale it back in winter? I plan on reducing my mileage to just 10-15 per week come late October. Two runs max, possibly just LSR. </div><div>
    </div><div>Will that make for feeling fresh in spring or should I try to keep the mileage a little higher?</div>
  • Options
    Welcome Ronin. Usually in winter I am marathon training so mileage is quite high then. Obviously last year and this have been a bit different but I usually do spring and autumn marathons so my mileage peaks in February and August then drops down after the marathon(s) until I'm recovered (I've learned the hard way that I need more recovery time than I think as I usually end up with niggles or an illness of some sort after a marathon if I don't take enough time.
    You'll definitely get your 1000 at this rate.

11 miles today - legs had no speed but I had the stamina at least.

YTD: 745
  • Options
    Just 4 miles today. I did 13 on Sunday at pace which left me with pretty unbearable DOMS for the first time this year. <div>
    </div><div>I feel back to normal today but now I’m entering a period where I have 3 races on Aug 21st, Sept 19th and Oct 24th. So it’ll be a strange combo of mileage tapering and spiking for the next 3 months.

My spreadsheet has me on 765 but I’m probably over 800 as I don’t tend to record intervals, hill repeats or the lazy days I head out and end up walking parts. 
    <div>
    </div></div>
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Welcome Ronin, I will admit I record everything! I don't really have a pattern, all depends what I am trying to do in January, for example if the BM HM is on then I run a bit more. Donnie I can understand the view on running last year, there had to be some positives in 2020 and running was certainly one of mine. Cal good to know you have an appointment. 

Hobie a race, wonderful. 

Swift brick this morning before heading out. Running after spin class is becoming easier (not easy!)

YTD: 683.02
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    I was out yesterday morning, other than parkrun I never run in the morning! Another example of timing becoming more squeezed. 8.1 making

Ytd:849.1
  • Options
    Welcome Ronin, great miles...I record all runs...suffer terrible anxiety if one doesn't record or takes ages to upload.
    Thanks CalTT, it's one of my favourite events, so pleased that it happened, the little village it's held in all muck in to make it fabulous & friendly.
    Another trail run today in the hills above Aberystwyth...cafe does the best vegan carrot cake.
    1208 miles YTD