Options

A thousand miles in 2021?

Comments

• Options
    Congrats onn the 1000 Cal.

In a rush but got filmed this morningg by ITN National News - am told it wil be on the 6:30 evening news.

Will total up laters.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: given the year you've had, really well done on reaching the 1000.

Harnander: hope London goes well. 

Hobie: that's a 5k time I can only dream of. Well done. Hope Sunday goes well and you're in the pub very quickly. 

6.5 last night, windy but dodged the showers. 

Ytd: 1048.2
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    16 tough miles for me this afternoon. A bit puddly, windy..and very hilly (for a promenade wimp!)
    So...SLOW..and at the end feeling more like the end of a hard marathon than a 16 mile training run.

No more long runs before Yorkshire. (Just now, 26.2 seems like a very long way to run.)

YTD: 787' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal took your recommendation and entered Manchester, even managed the early bird price. Very interesting article in RW about the cost of races and how it all adds up. 

MrMr2 understand the weather, it's even colder, wetter and more windy up here! Donnie well done for dodging the showers. 

YTD: 849.15
  • Options
    Yeah, you don't want to mess with cows, TT...them being a lot bigger than you.

My parkrun today was Dartford Heath (I did Dartford in August so wanted to get its neighbour ticked off)...unfortunately I hurt my side in the gym yesterday and it's been rather painful since. I wasn't sure I'd be able to run but as I'd already bought the train ticket I decided I'd give it a go. The 1.5 mile jog from the station was slow and uncomfortable but I managed to find something a bit more lively for the parkrun itself and completed in 28:15, which I was happy with (it's a cross country-style course...puddles and roots and lumpy ground...so add the injury to that and I wasn't going to be breaking any records). I did enjoy it though and even came in as second lady (I love smaller parkruns!)
    The 1.5 mile run back to the station was less comfortable...hammy tendon didn't seem too happy so I'm going to take a few days off to let my bits recover. Anyway...

YTD: 1006
  • Options
    Good luck anyone running London today, certainly wouldn’t fancy being crowded in with all those other runners during COVID times, actually I never like that feeling…
  • Options
    Runstreak day 277

25.9 4.22
    26.9 6.22
    27.9 8.67
    28.9 1.43
    29.9 1.62
    30.9 5.45
    1.10 3.04
    2.10 4.82
    3.10 8.21

YTD 1416.15 miles

• Options
    Great miles Dubai, awesome streaking.
    Virtual London done...stupid route as far from the real thing as I could come up with. 14 loops near the house with total of 4700ft of climbing. Last 3 loops hurt a lot.
    4hrs 47mins
    1392 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Well done Hobie 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie...What a run! You certainly do things the hard way! Well done for getting through the 26.2 miles!

Dubai... Great streaking!

Cal... well done on getting the focus back for your parkrun! Sounds like you do need a couple of recovery days.
    Yes, the small parkruns can throw up strange results. The two I did in Palermo, two years ago, were my smallest, numerically. In one I came 10th out of 35, and in the other, 18th out of 25. At the other end of the spectrum I really enjoyed the North Beach in Durban, 5 years ago, placing 127th out of 1499! with a time of 25:30. The last participant finished just inside one and a quarter hours! (You need to be dedicated to volunteer there!)

Didn't get out yesterday, to top-up my previous day's 16miles. Ran out of minutes...and the legs were feeling quite 'mashed'. However, this morning they were feeling much better. But the pace! Just kept slowing, mile after mile. Average pace for the ten miles was only a few seconds inside 11 min/mile!!!
    Now we are really into Taper. Still want to try out my new Cumulus trainers, and some shorter, faster (?) runs.
    Wondering if part of my leg-tiredness is partly due to expanding duties as Carer for MrsM. Seem to spend so much more time on my feet around the house.

Where is Harmander? Possibly still being interviewed?!

YTD: 797' .
  • Options
    London was interesting this year because for the first time did not have to get up super early to get dropped off before they close the roads (so the driver can ge back to North of the river.  As no kit bag needed to be dropped off before the baggage lorries had to shoot off meant I left home at 8:30 am and went via Stratford and then DLR to Greenwich followed by a 15 minute walk.

Joined the toilet queue straight away took 20 minutes but still had 20 minutes to go before my wave set off. Sadly missed the tea/coffee marquee this year - it wasn't there.

My 'I BEAT COVID' flag drew a lot of attention and did I milk it. Apparently it also made SKY News yesterday morning as many people said along the route.

Did take it easy (partly because I daren't go faster) to minimise the quad giving me grief. Followed a plan to finish in 7 hours (that would have been the slowest pacer if they had them this year) and jogged for 2 hours, found myself ahead of schedule so slowed down till half way (3:23) - still 7 minutes ahead of schedule and walked/jogged until mile 23 and with a parkrun distance to go I found I was still ahead so walked the rest finishing in 7:00:48 - I put it down to having too many pictures taken with people along the way.

Leg was only a little stiff yesterday so happy all round but it is a lot stiffer this morning. Am hoping it was soften up in a day or two before I decide what I am going to do next.

Some updating on the mileage to be done.

25/09 - 4.20
    26/09 - 15.00
    28/09 - 4.20
    30/09 - 5.63
    01/10 - 4.20
    02/10 - 4.20
    03/10 - 26.22

(63.65)

YTD = 1098.85 miles
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Hobie congratulations on that virtual marathon, I think doing it on your own is a lot tougher than running a mass start race. 

Harmander a fabulous result, well done.

DR still streaking, in awe!

MrMr2 one of my friends, elite Triathlete, says he sits down nearly all the time he is not training, so unfortunately your leg tiredness could be because of extra walking round the house. 

Back in Yorkshire and we brought the weather with us, so treadmill run.

YTD: 855.66
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: sterling work, with the climbing, that sounds hard. 

Harnander: well done with London. Another one chalked up. 

Park run on Saturday and my usual after work 5 miler last night. 

Manchester on sunday! Feeling OK apart from some soreness on my right hip. Literally never happened before, hopefully it'll wear off. 

Ytd: 1056.3
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie how are you???

Another treadmill run, OH on ours so headed to the gym. Amazing what difference air con makes! Sprint intervals. So glad I have zoom meetings today as the weather is horrible ⛈️

YTD: 862.67
  • Options
    Well done Harmander, it’s been a tough year but you’re coming out the other side.

TT, it’s starting to cool down here, only reached 37 degrees today, even my pool is feeling colder. Water temp only 26 degrees.

Short slow run this morning as I had my annual aviation medical, ECG, BP, hearing, eye sight and the usual vitals and checking reactions…etc. Usual low pulse explained by being a runner.  All good so a few beers in the pool this afternoon.

Runstreak day 280

4.10 6.07
    5.10 10.54
    6.10 2.57

YTD 1435.33 miles

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander... Sounds like you made the most of your 26.2 in London! How are the legs now?

Donnie... Sorry about the hip. Hope all is well for Manchester!

Dubai... Glad that the medical went well.

Another ten mile run around the local roads. Not really where I want to be (with pace) but not as disastrous as last week's 10 mile run.  Enjoyed the two rest days. Running in my new Cumulus trainers.
    (Me too for hip discomforts...L & R. So, more stretching and massaging.)

YTD: 807' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Manchester on Sunday! 

Out last night for my final run, did 10k in 51.20. Felt comfortable. 

Negetives: I've mentioned a sore hip, in reality a don't think this is a problem. If it wasn't for the upcoming marathon I wouldn't mention it. More of a problem is feeling a bit 'off it', mild sore throat, aching etc. Hope it stays at this level. 

Couple of questions. My start time is 11:25am, every other marathon I've done (6) have started at 9:30. Due to the late start I'm driving on the day (60 miles), advice about eating please. I thought I'd do as before but 2 hours later! 

Parking: all official parking long pre booked. Anyone with any knowledge of this marathon know how near I can get to street park? Being looking at chorlton area leaving about 30 mins walk. 

Ytd: 1062.2
  • Options
    Good luck for Manchester Donnie, sorry can't help with logistics. 
    If I had a late start I'd probably have breakfast as normal early and a snack about an hour before the start.
    Couple of easy recovery runs and a decent, hilly, club run last night...felt good.
    1405 miles YTD 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Keep calm; almost on the start line! Make sure you leave plenty of time for the drive; any delays can really bug the brain! 11:25 is a late start; you'll have the warmest part of the day for your run. 

TT... Should have said that I'm glad to know that I have something in common with an elite triathlete!!

Hobie... Congrats on passing the 1400 mile mark. Are the knees happy?

Sanity (if not wisdom) insisted on going out for a run this evening! Glad I did, even for just a 5k..
    Have to say that the body is feeling generally good but I've eased off the forefoot-running as it seemed to be aggravating a soreness in the ankle/lower leg. Probably need to give more time for the 'transition'.

YTD: 810' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie sorry no idea about that part of Manchester. Sounds like a good idea about food, but me being me I would also eat something earlier aswell. Hope you enjoy the race.

DR the weather here is now back to 23 degrees, shorts back on for running! 

MrMr2 good to know you had a 5km this morning, I received my race pack for Yorkshire today, but I will be heading to Scarborough instead for a 10km. 

Hobie well done on 1400, excellent running.

Lovely run this morning, warm with a cooling breeze, lots of friendly people, and some bunnies and sheep! 

YTD: 870.83
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Out again, just as the sun was rising. Absolutely lovely with lots and lots of dogs (not near the sheep). 

YTD: 878.91
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    TT... My Yorkshire pack has arrived too. Also found many dog-walkers out this morning. (with dogs!)

After a couple of very misty mornings it was clear today. Sort of enjoyed my 8 miles. Ideal weather. Slightly undulating course, but I still seem to be making hard work of relatively short distances. It makes marathon-pace impossible to pin down. Probably no more than a couple of 3-5 mile runs this week, and plenty of stretching.
    Body seems to be really on-edge these days! Gets upset even thinking about every twist and turn! (Neck, shoulder, back...)
    I'll try to treat it well this week!

YTD: 818' .
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    MrMr2 I hope this week goes well. The weather here is amazing for running, cold but sunny, no frost, lovely.

Out after spin class.

YTD: 885.02
  • Options
    Runstreak day 285

Had a couple of low days as feeling under the weather 

7.10 3.25
    8.10 2.05
    9.10 1.05
    10.10 1.35
    11.10 5.68

YTD 1448.71 miles

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    TT... Thanks. I could do with an 'issue-free' week! All the best for your event!
    Dubai... Doing great! 285 days; 300 is not too far away! Hope you pick up soon.

Scaling down on the distances, so today was my 'long run' ; just 5 miles of out-and-back running. After a warm-up mile I ran alternate 'brisk' and 'recovery' miles. Pleased with an o'all av. pace of 9:54/mile.
    (The two 'brisk' miles were approx 1% favourable gradient and came in just over 9min/mile) Happy.

YTD: 823' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Sunday - completed the Manchester marathon and what a day it was!!

General stuff first. This was the biggest city based marathon I've attempted so not a huge amount to compare it with. My verdict? Organisation was faultless, especially on the day  and within the event village at Old Trafford cricket ground which worked well, both before and after the event. Course is flat with definite PB potential. Support in the town centre, Sale, Altrincham, Timpley and Chorlton was large. To be honest the entire route was more or less, lined with people. Highly recommended. Genuinely cant find any criticism.

Now to my day. Eagled eyed readers may recall last Wednesday, I'd described myself, health wise, as being a bit 'iffy'. By Saturday night I was still 'iffy' - sore throat and a bit of a cough (not covid). Got up Sunday morning at 7am, back in bed by 7:20 saying 'I'm not going'. Bizarrely then heard a Tyson Fury interview on the 7:30 news and concluded DNF was better than DNS. Good job I was off at 11:25am.

In normal circumstances I'd have been aiming at 3:45. PB at Boston UK in May was 3:47. Decided to pace myself for 4hrs, actually hit the half way mark at 1:56 and feeling good. Things changed when I took on a 'gel' at about the 15 mile mark, cutting a long story short, ended up being sick a couple of times in Altrincham! 

The last 7 were a bit of a chore and a blur. Definitely bits of walking although when I was running I was moving pretty well but every now and then I just had to stop. Quite bizarre. This was the first time I've eve stopped. I hated it. Hitting the wall?

My old GPS gave up the ghost at about 16 miles and to be honest I lost any sense of time. I wasn't even thinking about my final time as I walked back to the car. And the punch line, somehow and I really don't know how, the text with my final time said 3,59,50!!  

YTD: 1088.4
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Thanks for all the details. What a mixture of a day!
    First of all...Congrats on finishing! If you can walk/stop/throw up ...and still come in under 4hrs, I'd say that is some sort of achievement.
    Sorry that your 'iffy' condition made a mess of your plans. You're well able to go sub 3:45 judging by your steady results in training. 
    Anything else in the diary? Recover well!
  • Options
    Donnie, wow, well done, that sounded tough. Rest up now.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Donnie, what a day! Good to know you recommend the race, but what an achievement. Agree with MrMr2 there is definitely a 3:44:59 in there. Totally unknowledgeable about this but could it have been the late start time?

Out after spin again, looking forward to the clocks going back!

YTD: 892.13
  • Options
    London recovery going well, knee isn't hurting anymore & managed a reasonably quick lunch run today.
    Great Sub 4hr Manchester Mara Donnie, sounds like a tough last few miles, but they usually are.
    1420 miles YTD