Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2022

Comments

• Options
    Jools, isn't that one a power station?
    TR...I had too much prosecco and was too hungover to do my long run on Sunday.  :s
    Sort of made up for it today by going out at 5am and running 12 miles in the dark. (I had a very restless night so said screw it at just before 4am, then got up and had coffee).
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Jooligan that sounds like an incredibly fast race. 

TR interesting about the up and down, I think I am going to try and incorporate more up and down as well as the hill reps. 

Out late, just went for a run, which was lovely. No targets or aims!
  • Options
    Mightily relieved, after concluding Manchester marathon entries had closed, a message on Sub3 FB page today around 4 pm suggested it was open and now have my Spring marathon sorted. For some reason  also entered the England marathon age-related qualifier, though born in Cardiff and very Welsh. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Top boozing then cal, i like it. Good going on the early 12m today.

TT - if you can find a rolling route for some mp or +10% longish tempos it would be a real benefit imo, i dont do stand alone hill reps, but run up that longer hill most days due to my commutes.

10+5 today
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    OO looks like quite a few of us will be at Manchester!

TR I am going to start running to our next town for my long runs, it does go up and down, so hoping that will be of benefit. 

Was out for stand alone hill reps this morning, cold, damp and windy but no ice and it was wonderful to run outside.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    TT - Early start for you, great way to start the day.  Yes, should be good and maybe time for a Spring Marathon list (love a list) do add yourselves.   TR - I've added you for Brighton.

Manchester, 3 April, 2022
    OuchOuch  sub.2.50   
    TT

Brighton, 10 April, 2022
    TR

I turn 57 tomorrow, my employer gives its employees our birthdays as a special leave day, so pondering 57km or m of exercise tomorrow - currently looking like a long run, a few dog walks and a cycle ride.  Forecast to be a reasonably sunny day so fingers crossed. 
  • Options
    OuchOuch  sub.2.50   
    TT

Brighton, 10 April, 2022
    TR
    Jooligan

Stratford Shakespeare, 24 April 2022
    Jooligan
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - that route sounds good, a rolling route is a good idea.

OO - i reserve the right to sack off Brighton if the wind os howling. Have a good birthday, hope you have a few Proper Jobs.

Jools - is Shakespeare a back up, or do you plan to do the double? I have a North Dorset place 1st May, rolled over from 2020 (when we were entering smaller spring maras), but i doubt i could do that after Brighton, maras smash me up.
  • Options
    5 today...unlike yesterday, I didn't manage to drag myself out until after 11, but the upside was it was light and I decided to do some mild speedwork in the form of a progression run. I didn't make a particularly good job of it as there were small changes to speed for the first three miles, then mile 4 was a while minute faster (probably as it was net downhill), then only managed to shave off a few seconds for the last one. I was hoping to get up to 9 minute miles but didn't quite manage that, what with weaving between park cars and pedestrians. Should have planned the route a bit better, I think. Anyway, I survived...nothing broke, and that's a plus.

OuchOuch  sub.2.50   
    TT
    Cal 

Brighton, 10 April, 2022
    TR
    Jooligan

Stratford Shakespeare, 24 April 2022
    Jooligan
  • Options
    Jools - great racing at the weekend - what a strong field.

OO - many happy returns for tomorrow.  Mine is Friday and I wondered about running 51 miles, even found a 7hr event but with everything as it is, a regular LR from my front door looks more attractive.

Still undecided on spring, laps of an airfield is starting to look better than a couple of weeks ago, might decide in NY.  Required run rate now 11.9.
  • Options
    I’ll run both.
    Entered Shakespeare as a back-up but with VLM not accepting it for GFA I’ll be taking it steady rather than racing it now. All my eggs are in the Brighton basket & the weather’s whims.
    Happy birthdays OO & Macca
    Nicely on top of the 4K target there Macca & a big birthday outing should bring that average down into single digits.
    Easy 35 mins Monday & 40 mins today down the canal. Tuesday track session 16x200m off 100m(45”) walk-jog. About a second slower on the reps but I wasn’t pushing quite as hard as a nod to recovery from Sunday’s racing but nevertheless the recoveries were 4-5s shorter. 

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Jooligan is the weather with Brighton because it is on the prom? I ask because Blackpool has the reputation of being either a PB course or a nightmare and I wondered if Brighton was the same? 

Macca happy birthday! 

OO I hope you had a good day? Did you manage your 57 km?

Cal I spend a lot of time planning routes, usually dependent on where the lights are at this time of year!

This morning I was determined to go outside. Waited till it was light, had to add extra clothes because it was so cold. Then walked round the corner and hit both black and white ice, which although beautiful was too dangerous. So back on the TM. Given the weather forecast I am planning half my long run tomorrow on our TM followed by a walk to the gym (a mile) and then the other half at the gym!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - i note the more upbeat "nothing broke" rather than "didnt croak it".

Macca - we'll all probably be running round motor circuits or airfields in Spring.

Jools - fair play, 2 weeks apart. Im defo sacking off Brighton if the wind howls like it did in 2019. That was their worse day ever.

TT - you get a lot of ice, do you live away from the coast?

10m weds but had to sack off an attempted 10% section and jog it in as i had a pf/sciatica type wealness again. Got on the S and C and exercisesand 8m home last night was much better, did the 10m inc 10% section this morning. The bumcake/hammy/quad doms from the s and c was more of an issue than the usual niggles, so im taking that as a positive.
  • Options
    TT yes final 5K is back along the prom to the pier which was straight into the wind when TR & I last ran it back in 2019. A lot of the course is exposed & there’s a few lumps en route too. You’re having very different weather to us. Was still double digits yesterday. Slightly chillier today but still 8-9 degrees.
    Good niggle management TR.
    We broke up yesterday to give those involved a chance to set up the testing facility today as it’s required for January 4th.
    Took the opportunity for a lie-in followed by an easy 9M around the local lanes then a 45 minute bike ride. 
    Had my Pfizer booster yesterday afternoon so was prepared to cut the run short if I was struggling but felt fine til 10K when the legs started to feel sluggish but I think that was a combination of yesterday’s 5x4’LT/2’steady & the gradient which turned into a continual climb.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    TR and Jooligan we are having very horrible weather this year! We are about 11 miles from the coast by car. This morning very little ice but very cold and damp, in the bones damp! 

So on our TM at 0635, just over nine miles, changed and walked swiftly to the gym for about seven miles, walked back. In all 18.34 miles (including the two miles walking) in 188 mins so even with the walking about 10 mins a mile. Threw in some MP bits, increased the incline at times and sang very loudly. Pleased it worked so well but aiming to be outside next week. 
  • Options
    Happy birthdays Macca and Ouch!

Jools, you may well be fine - I had Moderna rather than Pfizer but had no ill effects other than a very sore arm.

TR...:lol:

TT, that's fast walking!

Easy 6 yesterday (in the dark again) and then off to Brooklands parkrun today. My plans to do South Oxhey (near Watford) were scuppered by a tube strike, so Brooklands, which is all train, was the next best option. It's on the site of the old airport and race track and the route from the station takes you past the famous Brooklands banked curve, what's left of it. Hard to imagine cars driving at that angle.
    They were using the B course, which is flatter and drier than the A course, but very wiggly (it uses the bike track for part of it) and the section through the woods is rather lumpy (as in, it's rather derelict hard path that has split apart and been overgrown). Even so I managed my fastest run of the year by quite a good margin: 26:21. Still a good way off where I was but I'm moving in the right direction now...previous best this year was 26:48.
    I felt decent, although I should probably be dead according to my HRM.
    The most pleasing thing was my splits, as I got faster: 8:29/8:25/8:20 and then 7:31 pace for the last bit (though I was still overtaken by a spry looking VW60).

I do actually have a 5K race on Wednesday evening - it'd be nice to get closer to 25 if I can, though running in the dark always messes with my head a bit.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    Cal I think the walk mile came in at about 14 mins, it is cold up here so there is no incentive to walk slowly at all! Running went between 10mm and 8:34.

I had the Moderna too, and had a sore arm but nothing else. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    How are you today jools ? The booster roughed me up for a week or 2, but ive had CV and each jab roughed me up.

TT - sounds like you get a lot of ice for sure.

Cal - good one, nice to see you going better.

Was a bit lurgified again this morning so played the long run by ear, but improved as the run went on so did the full 18m, although legs were a bit dead and i was operating on fumes by the end.
  • Options

Evening everyone. Got smashed about my a virus for ten days or so, knocking a hole in running and general motivation. 

Easing back into things with some recoveries with Spoons, a tempo light along the canals (6:45s for 18, 12, 10 mins), and then a bit of a hit out at parkrun today. 

Winter course, which, whilst all tarmac seems to produce slower times. More overtaking I guess with the four laps. 19:22 for 6th and 1st V35 (tenuous, but I’m clutching at straws for some positive feedback 😆). Guess none of the fast boys turned up - perhaps there was a Birmingham League XC today or a race tomorrow I’m not thinking of. 

So - what have I missed? Normally good for some snappy summaries on here 😀 

• Options
    Covid, SQ, or something else? Hope you feel stronger soon.
    Well done for toughing that one out, TR.

Out for a 16 mile plod today...cold, dark, foggy - could barely see for the first few miles even though I stuck to main roads so my pace was glacial. I headed for Crystal Palace Park and it was only just getting light when I got there so I had to be very careful on the unlit sections. There was a Lightopia there with lots of colourful stuff but, of course, it wasn't turned on. Looked nice though.
    Hilliest run for a long time but managed to keep average HR in the 150s (it did get to 170 on Fox Hill, though...unsurprising as that one is 20%) I've been aching quite a bit since despite an epsom salt bath so I guess I'll need a good stretch. Been very lazy about that recently.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - sounds nasty, good that youre over the worse..........macca is on for 4000m, jools and myself have tipped  over 3000m and HA made the schoolboy error of missing the GFA cut off.

Cal - good to see you getting back to it more and more.

Turbo intervals for me today.
  • Options

Seemingly not covid, Cal. Daily LFT and four PCRs all negative - although two were declared ‘spoiled’. So who knows. Great long run length from you. 

Cheers for the synopsis, TR! Some great mileage from you guys. I surpassed the 2500 goal. Had seen 3000 as a possibility, but early December put a dent in that. Would now require 11.42M/day which would equal disharmony in the household 😆

Hard luck on the GFA, HA. I did go for it, but had doubts. May defer until the following spring if that works. This year was such a logistical challenge it was crazy. 

Recovery in the mist this morn. 10k at 8:20ish pace. 67M for the week so building back reasonably. 

The 10M race training plan introduces some VO2 reps this coming week: 3 x 1200, 3 x 1000. Might replace with some hill reps at the same effort - half an eye on a hilly race on NYE morn. 

• Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭
    SQ that is a fast 5km race.

Cal you do run in some interesting places. 

TR we do have a lot of ice. But it was just wet underfoot today. Amazing run after spin class. Nine miles, seven under 9mm, running to feel. 
  • Options
    Seven Sins SQ? Glad to hear you’re over the virus. 19:22 is decent as are 6:45s for 40’ & 67M weeks.
    Good to hear things are moving in the right direction at last Cal. Hope you get a 25:xx for the 5K.
    I must’ve been fine post-jab TR as I did 19:49 on an undulating, multi-terrain parkrun in the wind then ran a decent 3.5M fell race in the afternoon for an 11M day including warm-ups & cool downs. Another 9M Sunday - bit creaky but that’s over 1000’ of descent in 1.5M 😆
    Summary for SQ: My streak is still intact: Day 404 today & 3,844 miles.
    Cut my weekly mileage down to c.50M & doing 2 sessions a week + parkrun.
    Got a personal MV50 10K PB last Sunday at Telford so doing something right. 😎
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - not sure how deferring gfa works now as gfa is only valud for a year, be aware that you need a spring rime gfa time to enter 2023.

TT - no ice is good. Are you NW or NE?

Jools - you havnt had CV so maybe the jabs effect you less? You are going well at the mo, maybe due to lesser miles?

11m home tonight. Got another potential CV run in soon as my eldest is going to the Darts at Ally Pally and then coming home to stay for Christmas. Hope my booster works its magic.
  • Options
    Cheers for the info, TR. I seem to have fallen into a bit of a London times obsession trap. Might just go with the flow, entering what I fancy and then seeing what gives on that front. Hope you and the family all stay well. 

Yes, 7Sins, Jools. Do you have plans? Wouldn’t be entirely surprised if it was called off. Great summary. And I noted your Telford race result - absolutely superb. Clearly my rubbish chat in the car two years ago put you off 😆. 

Spin then a run will certainly get you fit, TT. 

Weird mish mash of a session for me. Mentally settled on doing the Three Hills of Cleeve as some tempo and hill climbing. Did the first two and felt quite strong, but then got the call from home, necessitating a tempo home. So a random 2M at 6:20 pace thrown in. So 10k v hilly solo, before pushing on to 13.1M (really mixing my units here) with the buggy. 1100ft of climbing and 8:15 average. 

• Options
    Congrats, Jools!
    TR, I'd make him do a lateral flow test before he comes.
    SQ, I've given up worrying about times at the moment...it makes for more enjoyable running, that's for sure.

A sluggish 5 miles in the dark this morning, which I don't much like as I have to be constantly on the ball so as not to trip on any wonky paving stones. I don't know why councils don't use tarmac or similar on the pavements instead of stones that end up breaking or sticking up. Hmph.
    Anyway, it was very slow. Groin had a nasty twinge at the halfway point and almost stopped, but it eased off so I finished the run. Had a good old session with the Theragun when I got back, followed by stretching. There are a lot of tight, sore bits. Hoping nothing will snap when I do my 5K tomorrow.
  • Options
    TR - good summary, will update.

SQ - good to hear from you.  7sins is a great name for a race, hope it (and others) remains on.

Cal - well done on the 16m a few days ago.  I’m with you on the pavement trip hazards.  I’m terrible at picking up my feet when tired so have stumbled on a few round here.

Jools - impressive streak, especially knowing that you don’t hold anything back.  

TR - fingers crossed for all your family’s health.  I see the attraction of sinking a few beers at the darts but not of actually watching darts - each to their own.

TT - when you can trust yourself to run to feel then you are almost there imho.  I can’t remember the last time I had to look out for ice, it’s usually gone by the time I’m up to be fair.

Woke up with a sore back on my birthday so revised my loose plan of mile for each year to km’s then to just a 20m LR. Kill or cure didn’t cure it and by Sunday it was too painful to do anything.  It’s being grumbling for a while now so I’m hoping a few days off will help.  Can’t moan given the punishment I’ve put it through and this is probably the best week of the year to rest it.  Time to jump on the turbo to burn off 850g of birthday Cadburys.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    SQ - that ended up as a mixed session then, probably do you good due to the mix.

Cal - he will have to do regular tests to be able to mix with family over Christmas. Ive fallen a few times along a road where the tree roots have lifted slab edges.

Macca - hope yr back settles quickly, as you say yr body has taken a pounding this yr.

5 and 8 today.
  • Options
    Macca, I'd get yourself a good sports massage - I'd say you've definitely earned one.