Options

P & D Spring marathon 2023

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Steve- I like their podcast. What others do you listen too?

Cal - oooh plenty of roughage. You need to eat the right stuff to fuel distance running though cal.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    The farm track is in the woods Cal.
    Biked 50 miles yesterday rather than running.
    Cycled to work & back today. Meant to go for a run this evening but the heat & humidity put me off. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah I see, Jools. And I don't blame you. I didn't go out for an afternoon walk on Sunday (I sometimes do this to stop myself seizing up after a long run) but it was too hot. Looks like it's staying hot for the next week, too. I thought I might escape it at the weekend as I'm heading up to Manchester for my birthday, but no, it's just as hot up there!

Very easy 5 miler today after a rest (well, walk and gym) day yesterday. Even stopped to stroke a cat and then pat a dog. Warm.
  • Options
    Good parkrunning and long run combo Cal, shaping up to be in decent shape for the ultra.

Likewise Jools, but running and cycling up Cleeve Hill.....in this heat 😂.

80 for the week finishing on 20 (again, in this heat) is great work TR, I can't imagine a turbo session in this weather 😓.

Steve nice paces on the fartlek session, I guess that's like a 800m / 400m session, I struggle to think of time instead of distance, blame P&D.

That's 3 x 100 mile weeks in the bag with a sprinkling of speedwork so I'm feeling ready for the taper (3 weeks). I layered up (hat, unbreathable rain jacket + 2 Ts and 2 bases) for 15 on Sat, was meant to be 20 but I was really done in and had to keep looping back to the house for drinks.  Did the 20 on Sun and still had to loop back for drinks, all good heat training I guess.  Ironically, the California mountains had record snow last winter and with it melting, part of the course is flooded requiring a detour by car.  Luckily, the first 80-90 miles of the course is pretty much guaranteed 40c+ (maybe a little cooler overnight).  

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I saw a guy running in a hat and jacket yesterday, Macca - can't imagine he was also training for Badwater but who knows? I guess Badwater will be a dry heat but I don't envy you - I remember popping out to the shop when it was 40 degrees here and it was like opening the oven door.

Today's effort was an 11 mile run with a few faster bits for flavour. I would've gone for 12 but colon kicked off again, so had to take a more direct route back. I did snag a couple of Strava crowns, though, it was a pretty good run aside from trying to hold in a poonami. Seems to be worse in this weather, probably because I'm eating a lot of raw veg due to it being too hot to cook. Will need to find an alternative next week as I don't want this happening during the ultra.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - well done, great prep. It was roasting saturday, I boiled over in my 20 without all the layers on. You've set yourself up well.

Cal - defo need to get off the veg. Can't you cook up some batches of some dishes and refrigerate or freeze them? You're going to need to cook sometimes?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    TR, not until my flat gets much cooler. The heat build-up is already pretty bad.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Microwave Cal?
    This weather’s come at just the right time for you Macca & you’ve done some excellent heat stress prep to top it off. Nevertheless keep a watchful eye on your effort levels OTD.
    Did my regular lunchtime 5K the last 2 days. Legs felt a bit fresher yesterday and ended up running progressively finishing with sub 7 pace. I then biked back the scenic route - back over Cleeve Hill thus making 7 flat miles into 40 with a fuck off climb.
    Unsurprisingly legs were a little stiff for today’s 5K. Hardly any breeze either so the track was like an oven at 1:30. Ran easy apart from 4x100 strides in the final mile. Couldn’t get the legs moving at all. They were a bit livelier on the bike back after.
    We joined another XC league last Winter which also has a Summer series which kicked off tonight. I decided I’d run it, albeit with low expectations given my lifeless legs & the oppressive heat.
    Billed as 2.5 x 2 mile laps of flat fields.
    I started a few rows back & set out steadily. After a few hundred metres I’d got into a decent rhythm & began picking people off. I was 3rd for the club but maintaining the gap to 2nd. I was surprised when the half lap was over 2.5K.
    I went through 5K in 21:10 which is my quickest since February - the week before my most recent Covid bout. My concern about the accuracy of the course description wasn’t assuaged when 1.5 laps came in at over 6K. Although I realised it was going to be long the effort & heat were making it hard to do the mental maths to work out quite how much over 5 miles it was going to be. When I saw 9K come up on the watch with a fair way to the finish my head went & when 3 rivals I’d passed early on come back past one by one I just let them. I’d slowed from 7:05 pace for the previous K to 7:27 but I was overheating badly too to be fair. Final time was 41:30 for 5.93 miles so 7:00 average pace.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't have one of those. I'm in a studio flat - the kitchen is an alcove off the main room I sleep in. It's very small. The space I might use for a microwave is occupied by my bean to cup coffee machine. Far more important.  :D
    Good effort in the heat, Jools - hard to judge if you don't know the course. The 5K time is promising though.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - Excellent training with those 3 massive weeks. Yeah distance wise looking at 800/400 ish session.
    TR - Running podcasts, I only listen to IRP, The Morning Shakeout and Coffee Club. Did use to listen to Marathon Talk, but not so much any more. Another big week for you.
    Cal - Some more good mileage.

Did 8 miles Tuesday, 7 on Wednesday and today was 10 miles with 10*3 mins at LT off 1 minute easy. Reps were 6:33/33/32/35/29/25/25/25/19/11. Felt good to finish stronger, as felt sluggish the first few reps.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Strong reps there Steve. I usually find the first rep loosens the legs up & the 2nd gets the muscles activated. Can’t always manage such a good progression through 10x3 - often fading after 6-8 at that length. I’m better at 1’ reps. Not that I’ve done either for some time now.
    Legs surprisingly ok at lunch when I trotted out 7K down along the canal for a change. More bonus bike miles after work: just 25.8 today & considerably flatter.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Quick ones as it's my birthday and I'm a bit occupied but 8 miles yesterday and today's parkrun was Lyme Park, which is stunning, but the toughest I've done - not only hilly but technical. Took almost 35 minutes (I did not want to role and ankle with one week before my ultra).

Spent the afternoon at Chester Zoo. Walked a lot.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - sounds like you are defo improving, well managed in the heat.

Steve - nice, I love some 3min reps. When do you start ultra training?......inside jogging and run it 3 days are 2 more podcasts.

Cal - happy birthday.

With 2 wks to go til GW today should be a long run with some sort of long effort. Went to theatre last night and less than  optimal evening eating, plus a few frothies. So wasnt really up for it, but decided to go for the 20min, 5 x 4min, 20min plus extras with approx mp and quicker than mp for the 4mons. After an early pit stop for tummy issues in the warm up I ended up with 3m easy, 3m (av 6.41), 5 x 4min (av 6.25), 3m (av 6.35), ~1.7m for 15m. Then a delay whilst I waited to watch the Flying Scotsman come to town, then 3m more home.
    Decent mp efforts, probably a bit slowing on the 4 mins, but a decent session. I can feel a bit of fitness building as the body gets moving more (I've upped the s and c a bit more now I'm moving better, and am on heavier squats and deadlifts), I'm probably going to target the 1/2 at GW and then do Brighyon Pheonix 10k 10 days later and try to post 2 half decent times, without damaging myself by running a mara, but will mull it over for a few more days.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - I'll check those out. Good long run, with pace! Ultra training has basically started now.
    Cal - Happy birthday.

Saturday was 17 mile long run, did 14 miles easy then Parkrun at around MP, came out to 22:03 (so around 3:06 marathon time), so not too bad as I did have my pack on, another 2 miles walking home afterward. Easy 4 miles with some S&C after on Sunday. 46 miles for the week.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Today was 10 miles with 5*6 minutes at LT, paces were 6:28/27/27/25/22, decent session, felt strong while running. Wasn't actually sure how that would go, considering last week was only 3 minute reps! Rained for most of the run, so absolutely soaked by the time I was finished!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one Steve, what schedule are you following for this ultra. Interesting that it has 3min and 6min reps in it?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You all seem to be going great guns.
    I didn't run Sunday (went to Flamingoland theme park instead...between that and Chester Zoo I logged a fair bit of time on feet, so I guess that helps the ultra eh?) and Monday I was travelling back to London, so I didn't get to run again until Tuesday. I couldn't run first thing as there was a downpour with thunder (OK with rain but I'd rather not be struck by lightning), but I did a slow 4 miles once it cleared, which was very sticky and unpleasant. Today was brighter and fresher so I did 6. I may do one more short run before Saturday's ultra, which looks to be hot (ugh). Groin is niggling, too, but I'll make it work.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - I've mashed together some of sessions I've done in the past with the mileage from the P&D plans. Later in this plan I'll be doing some Hanson's tempo runs. Just to mix things up.

Today I did an 11 miler, just an easy pace.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Seem to be going nicely Steve so must be working. Good to keep switching things about.
    Best of luck Saturday Cal.
    7M today from the NEC: scorchio!
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Yes, good luck for Saturday.
    Jools - Seems to be going OK now. Like to switch it up when I'm not doing a P&D block. I work real close to the NEC!
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow Cal.  With the heat the slower you can go the better.
  • Options
    TR - sounds a good plan.  Decent and interesting LR, I keep thinking I ought to introduce more varied efforts but the simple sessions just appeal too much.

Nice racing (last week) Jools, I had similar with an unfamiliar course, tough to keep it going to the end when you don't know when the end is.

Steve - I think P&D is a decent grounding for ultras, not specific obviously but people could do far worse than follow the general idea of their plan.

Mileage has dropped off here and I'm wondering how I ever fitted it all in.  Sauna training has picked up the slack though which in itself feels like a proper session.  Strangely, I feel training and prep couldn't have gone much better realistically but still feel I'm in the "corridor of uncertainty ", this time next begins the journey to the airport.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Steve - Hanson's long runs will be tough in ultra training mileage. Are you doing some longer long runs?

Hope you survived the heat Cal

Macca - you've prepared well, and hit the heat adaptations well.

I had Hayling Billy trail 5m race weds evening, ended up 15sec slower than last year but i wore my Pegs (As against lighter shoes last yr), so that probably explains the time loss. The surface is very stony and gravelly and my feet were sore last yr afterwards.

15m easy today, was real hot today. I've swapped next week to the 1/2 and Sept to the full mara, that race has been added for GFA chasers so hopefully will have a bigger field.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Quickie from me... Started with a friend and ran together as far as the first checkpoint (approx 9 miles in) - not too hot as there were lots of trees and the sun went behind clouds for a bit. Still walked the uphills to preserve energy. Unfortunately he rolled his ankle right after the checkpoint so I continued on alone (he wasn't too far behind at the finish) though I did meet various people along the way. But after I got onto home turf I was having trouble keeping my HR down so I adopted a run-walk strategy. Resisted the temptation to go home so rewarded myself with some awesome mango sorbet from the ice cream shop in Balham.
    After this the walks got a bit longer than the jogs but I was hanging in there and finished in 7:43:44. So yeah, slower than anticipated but also very happy to have my first ultra under my belt. 
    I'm quite sore, a little sunburnt, chafed either side of my bum hole (ouch), but otherwise not bad. Didn't need a poop stop (got up at 4am to make sure I had cleared as much as I could, then took Imodium anyway) and didn't faint afterwards, so a win.
    Got home, had a bath, a light meal (not much appetite) and two glasses of pink wine. Early night for sure.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal, good to take a lot of confidence from doing an ultra as a newbie on a day like yday. Good stuff.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Super run Cal, well done.
    The corridor of uncertainty, love it Macca. I suppose Badwater is such a unique race with the heat, but you've such a strong ultra pedigree to call upon and now umpteen sauna sessions in St Albans, what could possibly go wrong. Have a good last week. Excited for you. 
    Some strong sessions Steve, good on you.

First 70m week here for a good while, all easy pace,  in prep for 3 marathons from Oct-Nov, so suppose enjoying the relative downtime. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    OO - Good mileage.
    Cal - Great ultra debut!
    Macca - Your prep has been superb!
    TR - Yes, I plan to max out around 24 miles on the long runs. Hanson's part will be runs at marathon pace less 15 seconds a mile, maxing out at 2*3m at that pace, those will replace the reps at HM pace.

I did 17 miles on Saturday and 4 miles on Sunday for a 50 mile week.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca you've done everything - just try to enjoy the taper. And remember to run on the white lines.
    OO, well done on the week. Which marathons are you doing? (Still not sure what to do yet though it may be Chelmsford. It's a relatively cheap journey compared to going up north or abroad).
    Steve, Hansons with 24 mile long runs?!
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Well done, Cal!
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Cal - I am going for flat and fast. Hopefully Dorney Lake in Oct, a favourite of mine Gran Canaria in November and Pisa in December, to celebrate being very old and as I've not run a marathon in Italy.