Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, sorry I've not been here for a few week...feeling sorry for myself for not being able to get any decent long runs in.
    Found myself with some time to kill before sailing up in Bala (N Wales) this weekend so thought I might as well have a go at a little parkrun...managed 1st in age group (16th overall) so pretty happy with that...knee felt OK, so just need to work on general fitness again.
    289 miles YTD
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's good, Hobie!
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Hobie....Well done on parkrun result! (Me too for 'general fitness'!)
    Saw your Strava entries for the sailing (With dubious rate of knots...?)

Thanks Cal.

Yesterday was a rest-day. Today I wondered if the body would be ready for another run. Certainly was; with no hint of recent foot problems. Puzzled but pleased. Repeated the 7' run that I did two days ago and kept a steady pace. Average pace was 10:03/mile. (3 mins quicker!?)

YTD: 592' .
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Ha, yeah MrM2...I think Max speed & average are round the wrong way somehow...it was quite quick on the Sunday.
    I've got my couch25k group to coach tonight, really love doing this while I'm a bit broken, so good to see the progress being made.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't resist another run today, with perfect, sunny weather!
    Nothing too adventurous while I bring the body back to where it should be (?)
    So, 8 miles at a steady pace (10:04/mile) which gave an age-grade of close to 69%.

YTD: 600'.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    5 miles for the first race in the Wimbledon Trail Series this evening, though unlike previous years, there was a horrendous amount of mud and I actually ran-walked most of it as some parts were unrunable. A personal worst on that course by quite a long way.

YTD:516
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Cal, I love a bit of mud and a cheap excuse for a bit of a walk...living in West Wales hills, mud and puddles aren't an option.
    Lovely run to our C25K group last through wildlife centre with Water Buffalo and Dear watching us, 12 runners doing week 4.
    293 miles YTD
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    28 miles this week with longest run 10.3 miles this morning. Knee still not 100% so mainly plodding runs ☺️.
    YTD 348 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    A six miler today - groin wasn't an issue despite me having to take four pain killers after the trail race on Wednesday evening, so that's a plus.

YTD: 522
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    No running this week following my fall a couple of weeks ago. Ribs still sore when I cough or sneeze but deep breathing is, more or less, pain free. Going to parkrun tomorrow. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Hope the parkrun wasn't too uncomfortable. (My local one needs to be fairly dry before I'm tempted. So, didn't go near it today.)

MrC... Well done on the 10 mile run; hope the knee is on the mend.

Cal... Think I'd keep well clear of that Wimbledon Trail!

Rest day today but ran a fairly steady 8 miles yesterday.

YTD: 608' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did you survive, Donnie?
    Well done MrM2.

California Country parkrun today (it's on Berks...not sure where the name came from). Mix of hard path and trail but not too muddy.

YTD: 525
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 today - was supposed to be a long run but I stayed up watching Eurovision so I was too tired for that.

YTD: 531
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't sure if I'd be ready for a run this morning (Absolutely nothing to do with Eurovision!!!) but due to an unhappy ankle from Friday's run.
    However, everything seemed remarkably good, so set off in the morning fog (really!) for what I hoped would be a steady 9 miles. At mile six my ankle sent me a sharp reminder note! Thought I might need to hobble my way home....but after a couple of seconds it all seemed good again.
    Finished with an average pace of 9:57/mile and an age-grade that just cleared 70%.
    Pleased that mile nine was 10secs faster than the identical, first mile.

Will be giving the ankle some RICE for a couple of days (not sure how, while caring for MrsM...) Hope to do more 'easy' miles and ought to mix in some swimming...(?)

YTD: 617' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: My parkrun was fine. Ribs are much improved. Think it was just bruising after the fall. Other than a sneeze I'm, more or less, pain free. Off for a run tonight. Really looking forward to it. Life doesn't feel normal without running.

Mr MM: hope the recovery continues. I feel your frustration but from this distance, it seems like progress.

Ytd: 472.8 (May 19.7)

I suspect my aim of 100 miles per calender month in 2023 will fall this month. 
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Decided to throw in a Tempo run today, 3 miles @ 7.50 pace, I did get a sharp pain in the knee 2 miles in so slowed down slightly and it went away so I picked pace again and was fine the rest of the run.
    Signs of improvement in the knee from the rehab. 😊

YTD 359
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You're not wrong there, Donnie.

Glad your knee calmed down, MrC. My various troublesome bits and pieces often have short tantrums but then settle down. Sometimes you just have to show them who's boss.

Did my delayed 16 miler (the run I was supposed to do on Sunday!) Lovely weather. Felt tired before I went out but had a surprisingly decent run, so guess the fresh air did me good.

YTD: 547
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: 16!! That came from nowhere. Well done. 

Mr C: glad the knee is not to troublesome. Sounds like a decent session. 

5 to add from last night. Found it difficult. Ribs, breathing and possibly a bit of a virus. No running today. 

Ytd: 477.8 (May 24.7)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well not quite, Donnie - I did 14 the week before. I'm doing London Ultra 55 (K) so back at the long runs again.
    I've found breathing a bit harder than normal (I was a bit wheezy and coughing yesterday after my run) and there's nothing wrong with my ribs so I suspect pollen - maybe that's affecting you too.

4 recovery today - very slow.

YTD: 551
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie...Building nicely; soon be passing 500'.

Cal... Well done on the 16'. Do you have a plan/strategy for the 55k?

Happy to get out before 7 this morning to run 10 miles. Only a dull discomfort in the ankle towards the end of the run. So, hopefully I'll be able to continue my 'active recovery'. Pleased with the pace of 10min/mile and another 70% age-grade.

YTD: 627' . 
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Lots of great miles, just a few more from me...knee is beginning to feel a bit more friendly now but not pushing my luck too far yet.
    Lovely evening last night coaching Couch 25k group around the wildlife centre...run there & back to make it up to just over 4 miles.
    Going to Coventry tomorrow for Proclaimers concert so might be able to squeak in a parkrun.
    310 miles YTD
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    MrM2 - my plan is to just keep going. First ultra, first time over marathon distance, so I'm not going to push the pace.

Hobie, have fun - I saw them when I was at uni - they must be getting on a bit now!

7 miles today, very easy (but not as easy as yesterday).

YTD: 558
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    All my running is easy, in theory, Cal

Have broken through the 700 barrier...in kilometres. In real money that translates to: 

YTD: 440
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Cal you are getting in some big mileage for your Ultra.

MrM2 good to hear the rehab is working, nothing more depressing than weeks off rehabbing only to see minimal effect.

Donnie good to hear you haven’t had too much after effects from the fall.

YTD 379 miles.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: I've never done an ultra and suspect I never will, although those 'last person stsndibg' and run for 24 hour things strangely appeal to me. Good luck with your event. 

Effects of my fall are subsiding but still in evidence to a minor degree. Out Tues and Thurs running 8.2 miles and 10k. 

Ytd: 492.2 (May 39.1)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice to hear, alehouse. By the way, I'm up for my birthday parkrun on 17th June and am currently choosing between Lyme and Bramhall so any input gratefully received.

Good you're getting better, Donnie - almost at 500 now!

Finsbury parkrun today (I ran it back in 2018 so not a new one - accompanying a friend). Undulating two lapper in a nice urban park - sun was out too. Happy enough with 28:27.

YTD: 561
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse... Congrats on passing 700km!

Cal... Good result at today's parkrun! (Love the 'keep going' plan for your ultra!!!)

Happy to be on the south coast again. After a couple of 'rest' days (non-running' is probably a better way to describe the last two, very busy days!) enjoyed a 10 mile run.
    Not as fast as I wanted, and was pleased to be stopping after 10!

YTD: 637' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Well done, MrM2.

I did 20 today - wasn't easy. Been suffering from vertigo this week and had to deal with that on the run as well as a GI issue which meant I had to find a bush (despite thinking I'd taken care of things before I set out). Annoying. But anyway, got it done.

YTD: 581
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal... You do have 'eventful' runs! Congrats on pushing through to 20!!!
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Park run and a standard 5 mile loop (actually 5.1) over the weekend. I felt I'd run much quicker at parkrun than the previous week, I hadn't. Recorded, more or less, the exact same time, a few seconds over 24 minutes in both cases.

Hit the half way point for this challenge, so all down hill from here. Having to work late Mon and Tues nights, which is unusual, so an enforced rest. May is stacking up as a low month, my self set 100 mile per month in 2023 looks like falling at month 5. 

YTD: 500.4 (May 47.3)