Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal. Hope you can keep well and be at your best for the Ultra.

Not sure how I managed to get my bones into gear this morning; they showed zero interest when I woke up! However, got out for a slow ten miles.

YTD: 714' .
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    MrM2, thanks & congrats on 700 miles.
    Saturday spend on a water station at the Wild West Ultra way down in darkest Pembrokeshire, loved helping out, started in the drizzle but got very hot and steamy later...25% DNF rate was very encouraging that it's not an easy one.
    Got my boy home from Uni for the Summer & he decided he wanted to go for a run in the sun yesterday, nice 6 miles ending at the pub...any guesses who got to buy the beers?
    417 miles YTD
    36,522 ft elevation

• Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Nice pic Hobie, of you course you had to pay and it will carry on for a long time yet 😊.

Cal good luck on the Ultra, I assume it’s this weekend.

Thought I would log in to register going past the half way mark, won’t be many miles logged this week as we are off to the Big Apple on Thursday for a long weekend celebrating by daughters 21st.

YTD 506 miles.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Cal: good luck with the ultra. Exciting stuff.

Hobie: great pic and good luck with the new park run. Interested to hear about it.

Mr C: admitting to some travel envy. Enjoy New York.

My cold was definitely a cold and not hay-fever. One that held me back rather than putting me in the sick bay. As I've maintained at home, to some level of disagreement, if I'm well enough to go to work I'm well enough to go running. 

With family in Ipswich at the weekend so did the local parkrun plus a bit more (7.4) and around the local streets yesterday (6.4).

Ytd: 600.8 (June 58.9).

Disappointingly June heading towards another sub 100 month as away for the final week. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    MrC....Well done on passing 'half-way'. Enjoy the trip! (I thought that 18 was the new 21?)

Donnie... Well done on passing the 600'.

Another slow seven miles yesterday. Probably didn't help by wearing long sleeve top and running bottoms, to protect me from the overgrown weeds that I have to brush through for half of the run! (Must remember to pay my rates!)

YTD:721'.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great picture, Hobie.

Sticky icky 4 miles this morning. 

YTD: 744
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And 6 today. Much nicer out - sunny and less muggy.

YTD: 750
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Humid and wet here at times, Cal! Had to take shelter during my run as a very heavy shower bounced its way past. 

Hobie, if I am anything to go by you will have several more decades to continue to dip your hand in your pocket!

Donnie, the first thing I pack when going away is my kit...
    so MrC I hope that you have kit to run in the Big Apple! Central Park? 

MrM2: I'm with you on having to wear anti-bramble and nettle traksters on some routes.

Ticking over a little better (famous last words)! Today's run brought up day 702 of the present streak, and brought up: 

YTD: 552 miles
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Ha, I think you're right alehouse....weirdly I don't mind the big spends but he might buy his dad a pint now and again  :D 
    Our fabulous couch to 5k group did their end of course 5k race the other night, lovely friendly race around some local rugby fields, perfect timing for them & only £2 to enter.
    Nice 4 miles with some of them as well last night and a recovery run for one of the club members who did a 40 mile Ultra on the weekend...interesting mix we have.
    427 miles YTD...physio the other day said I need to do more weights to strengthen my bum, which will help my knee so I might still get to 1000 this year.
    Enjoy NYC MrC
  • Options
    New member. hey everyone. 722km so far this year
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the fun factory TheBrixtonRunner, great miles so far, looking forward to the tales of your running.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey there Brixton. I'm just down the road in Balham. :)
  • Options
    > @"Cal Jones" said:
    > Hey there Brixton. I'm just down the road in Balham. :)

Hi mate, nice! there's a few sneaky inclines round your way. I did a little 10km square route from brixton hill to clapham to streatham and back to brixton hill a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Welcome Brixton! Are you running for fun, fitness, fame??? Do you run solo or with a club/group? Any races in the diary? Are parkruns part of your week?
    Some of our 'regulars' seem to have dropped out, so you are more than welcome!

Another seven mile run this evening. Didn't fade this evening, but 7' was enough.

YTD: 728' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Alehouse: I'll definately have my running gear with me. The holiday is a week on a river boat in Holland. Hopefully tow paths to run on. Have done this type of holiday before but not in Holland. Excited about it. Must admit, I've no idea if jogging is a thing in Holland? 

Cal: rest well before the Ultra. 

Brixton runner: as others have said, 'more the merrier'. Hope you stay around. 

Mr MM: some consistency returning and hopefully the niggles are behind you. Any events planned? 

Wednesday night was a rare double figures run (10.2) early evening start due to working from home. Thursday 5.2 passed the 5 mile point in 40.40 which I was really pleased with. 

Ytd: 616.2 (June 74.3)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    UltraLondon done - slow due to the heat but got it done and didn't poop myself, so it's all good. 7:43:44. A little more description in the My Last Run thread if you want to know more.

YTD: 784
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Cal. Well done. I will try to find your post to read more.

MrC, looking forward to hearing a story or two about your run in NYC. One of my favourite places to visit! And fantastic to explore on foot. Maybe hit the high line for a run in off peak time?

Hobie, I’m 39 and I’ve just started buying my old man lunch!! So you have a few years left!

I went for my first run in 5 weeks. It was just a casual 3 miler. There was no knee pain during the run, although a bit of stiffness.

I’ve abandoned my ambitions for an ultra this year as I don’t think the knee can handle the training load. So I’ve signed up for the Melbourne Marathon in October. 16 weeks and counting. Let’s hope the knee can hold up!

YTD: 605 miles
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Ha, JackFW...shame on you  :D.
    Cal, 34 miles across London must have been tough...hard surface of roads without any mud or rivers to run through to cool the legs would have ruined me so much credit to you.
    Couple of trail runs looking for new routes over the weekend for me, plus a drop in to chat with the manager of the centre where we're going to be parkrunning...he's opening early to do breakfast rolls & is happy to store the kit so couldn't be better.
    443 miles YTD
    38,514ft Elevation
  • Options
    Dear all,

It is embarrassing to realise how long ago since  last posted (4th April) so forgive me please. Things (other people's problems - family members mainly) kept on getting in the way to update this thread..

I have only today had time to read back nearly three months of posts and cannot begin to even try to address everyone's missives.  Thank you for remembering me.

Good news is that my injuries have mostly cleared up except for the long term L4 issue but even that is getting better - have lost over a stone in weight since the beginning of the year which is helping reduce the pressure on my lower back while running. I aim to lose another stone by Christmas.  Am hoping to get close to pre-COVID times at parkrun but am taking it easy with the incremental improvements.

I also won the 5km Accelerator event on World Global Running day with 33 seconds improvement over the distance and the club is organising proper Accelerator event at the end of July.  Ours will be on our tougher training course which comprises 500m uphill, 140m downhill and 500m flat. The aim is to run each successive km faster than the last one. I managed 8km in practice. Am inviting everyone here to try it - you use a suitable App to keep track of your pace and your effort ends as soon as your last km is slower than the one before it. For the 5km event the slowest (first)km had to be under 10minutes so the event did not take more than an hour from start to finish.  For the July event we are setting this time to 12 minutes to make the event more inclusive for our slower members - particularly as the 500m uphill soon catches up with everyone.
    Yes, for the newcomers to this thread, our club is mad but we like a bit of running.

I managed to pass the 1000 mile mark after the 21 miles of the Summer Samosa event on 11 June.

Here is my running log update - was 579.57 miles on 4 April

06/04 - 7.26
    07/04 - 5.24
    08/04 - 9.21
    09/04 - 14.67
    11/04 - 7.25
    14/04 - 7.25
    15/04 - 8.79
    16/04 - 18.89
    18/04 - 10.31
    20/04 - 7.77
    22/04 - 6.65
    23/04 - 26.21 - London Marathon
    24/04 - 5.25
    27/04 - 7.25
    29/04 - 8.22
    30/04 - 10.33 ( end of month 740.10)
    02/05 - 7.77
    04/05 - 7.24
    05/05 - 16.00 (4 miles x 4 to mark 44th wedding anniversary)
    06/05 - 8.32
    07/05 - 11.01
    09/05 - 8.35
    11/05 - 8.31
    13/05 - 8.78
    14/05 - 14.07
    16/05 - 8.33
    18/05 - 8.34
    20/05 - 8.31
    21/05 - 13.99
    23/05 - 9.00 - Grand daughter's 9th birthday
    25/05 - 7.23
    27/05 - 8.37
    28/05 - 14.28
    30/05 - 7.24  (end of month 915.04)
    01/06 - 7.26
    03/06 - 8.35
    04/06 - 15.36
    06/06 - 14.77
    08/06 - 11.63
    10/06 - 6.47
    11/06 - 26.21 - SITC Summer Samosa marathon - passed 1000 miles 1005.09
    14/06 - 6.63
    15/06 - 7.25
    17/06 - 8.32
    18/06 - 11.66
    20/06 - 7.24
    22/06 - 7.25
    24/06 - 8.36
    25/06 - 12.98 - 159.74 for current month so far

YTD = 1074.78 miles
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Impressive Hermander, as always we are in awe of what you do. Good to see you back on here.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander...Welcome back; knew you wouldn't have been sat, twiddling your thumbs!!!
    Glad that 'things' are starting to clear a bit! Congrats on passing the 1000'!!!
    And you've lost a stone!? You obviously didn't do the samosas justice!

Hobie...Glad that things are falling into place for the parkrun!

Cal... Talking of 'parkrun'....surprised you didn't try squeezing in a parkrun on Saturday!
    Huge congrats on completing the Ultra. Not easy conditions for any sort of running!!
    So, what next?
    You probably saw the news about Andy Butchart's first parkrun, on Saturday. Setting a new record of 13:45 in Edinburgh!
    (I always take an interest in the numbers and finishers at Poole parkrun. On Saturday the first three..in a field of 821...were Rowan, Alexander and Quinn Miell-Ingram, with times of 15:01, 15:02 and 15:06....Try telling them that it is not a race...)

Me? I've been doing a lot of resting.(The ankle says Thank You...) but I hope to get out a bit later today.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    An evening run; just 7 miles. Right ankle is still not happy. Hoping that some stretches and strengthening exercises will help.

YTD: 735' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hobie - there was quite a lot of dirt trail and some grass, too, so it wasn't all pavement and hard path. And being a Londoner, I am very much used to that. I really hate mud or any kind of technical surface as I don't feel safe, so it suited me very well.

MrM2, a friend who was walking the ultra stopped to do Charlton parkrun on the way. Much as I love parkrun and hate to miss one, I was very much focussed on just making it through my first ultra, so it was a complication I didn't need (also considering that I have done all the parkruns in London anyway).

Harmander, well done.

Jack, hope your knee is OK with that and good luck.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: well done on the ultra. Great effort. 

Harmander: welcome back. I was getting worried. Great running as usual. 

Jsck: I'm running the Yorkshire marathon which is very close in date to Melbourne. I'll start posting about my prep fairly soon. 

Currently on holiday and did pack my running clobber. It's a boating holiday in the Netherlands. Have done similar holidays with the same friends twice before (the Thames in Oxfordshire and Brittany France) both were excellent for running with tow paths all along the route. Not so good here so only, managed to get out once. 5.7.

Ytd: 621.9 (June 80.0)
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Donnie. Look forward to comparing notes on prep. I’ve never been to Yorkshire. My partner’s mother was born there. She always raves about the Yorkshire Dales! Enjoy the holiday.

Hermander, Wow. I’m speechless. What’s your secret?

MrM2, good luck with the injury.

Another three miler last night from work to home via the water. Knee holding up atm.

YTD: 608 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good chance to grab a parkrun Z at Zuiderpark, Donnie?
    Jack, my dad was from Yorkshire too, though I grew up in London. It's a beautiful part of the country.

First run since the ultra - a very gentle three mile plod. Despite grey skies it was warm and very humid. 

YTD: 787
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Another 7' this evening.  Moderately happy with the ankle.

YTD: 742' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Ultra Cal

Wow Harmandar so impressive 1000 miles already.

Donnie enjoy your boating break.

Unfortunately no running in the Big Apple not enough time but did manage over 20,000 steps each day, so did get some sort of aerobic exercise 😊.

Managed to twinge something in my back yesterday while cooling down so will take the next few days off 🙁

YTD 518 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hope it's nothing serious, MrC - I guess some core work and stretching is in order.
    Glad the ankle is holding up, MrM2.

A ploddy, soggy 5 miles today.

YTD: 792
  • Options
    Thank you Hobie. Cal, MrC and Donnie2.
    MrM2, I ran them off (limited myself to four during the run).
    JackFW, _ run slower than most if not all on this thread. Am semi-retired and cannot drive so tend to be on my feet most of the time. I also train others so it gets me out a bit more than others. The Summer Samosa marathon was my 176th.

27/06 - 8.33
    29/06 - 8.25

(16.58)

YTD = 1091.36 miles

Going to the local parkrun on Saturday - to encourage 'er indoors to start again - she is stuck on 253 after taking on more work.  It will be my 426th parkrun.