1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    MrM2 - yes, the Asics Novablasts.
    I'm glad it's going well for you but sad to hear about the drownings. :(
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Up and running for June. Park run and a slow 5.5 tonight. Spent yesterday gardening and today painting a fence, which took their toll on the run. 

Ytd: 550.5 (June 8.6)
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    5 miles on Tuesday night. Giving 

Ytd: 555.5 (June 13.6)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Out quite early again, yesterday, to run the same 6 miles as previous run. Happy with the one hour time. 
    Ankle still not 100% so appreciated the ice treatment last night. Rest day today.

YTD: 671 .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    5 also for me, recovery pace. Pretty tried but not too sore.
    MrM2, I just realise I've overtaken you, what with your injuries and my ultra training. You were way ahead of me not long ago.

YTD: 682
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    10k on Tuesday night. Happy enough with 51.30. 

I've been trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of a couple of pairs of old trainers. Think they're finally coming to an end. The pair I'll switch to now will be my Yorkshire marathon pair. 

Ytd: 561.7 (June 19.8)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice, Donnie!

I did my 5 mile Wimbledon trail race this evening. Fortunately the mud which made last month's race so horrific has dried up entirely and I managed a relatively spritely 48:something (I'll get the result tomorrow - watch said 48:35 but it's gun time and I didn't hear the start so might be a few seconds over that). I was scooting for sub-50 so happy with that especially given the mammoth long run on Sunday. I did in fact wear my old Yorkshire Marathon PB shoes (a knackered old pair of flyknit Vaporflys) which have now been relegated to parkruns for the mostpart.

YTD: 687
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well raced, Cal  and Donnie!

And good to see you posting some training, MrM2. But don't rush things!

Talking of which, shoulder procedure yesterday, so won't be rushing things for a few days. Mainly resting but did do a very gentle 2k this morning on one arm to preserve my streak!

YTD: 510.8
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Recover well, alehouse! Walk/gym day for me today.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal....Well done on another trail run. And, Yes, you are now in front....and likely to stay there, as I'm not doing double figures yet.

Alehouse... Glad that all is well after your shoulder procedure.
    Yes,...I'm trying to be patient...

Donnie... Was your 10k one of your 'stretched' training runs or an event? (Nice pace.)

Upped my distance from 6 miles to 8 miles yesterday as I try to get back to running with two good feet. Think I might be going in the right direction as I didn't feel any need to rest today...But I did! The afternoon run caught me out...with the temperature at 20C.
    (Faded over the last couple of miles)

YTD: 679' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: my Tues night 10k was around the local streets and a little bit of my park run. Very happy with my effort and general feel I'm holding my standard 5 mile pace for longer. 

Alehouse: hope the shoulder procedure has gone well. Guess this is a 50:50 question, bit you enjoy the cup final? 

Trainers: out in my new trainers, well almost new, worn twice one of which was the Manchester marathon. Felt like they were crushing the toes of my right foot. Suspect socks were the issue. 7.1. 

Ytd:568.8 (June 26.9)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Donnie, didn't even pay much attention to the cup final; as a Foxes fan I had little interest (although my children support United.) So not a 50:50 question!
    I always wear new trainers as slippers for at least a month before I run in them. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Interesting tactic, alehouse.
    Donnie, probably, if they were comfy for the marathon.

6 miles easy today. 

YTD: 693
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Cal putting in some serious mileage for the Ultra.

Donnie looks like you have recovered from the fall.

MrM2 signs that the ankle is getting back to where it should be?

Not much running done here last week with my daughter arriving back from Malaysia after her study abroad year ( should rename it island hopping year 😊)
    37 miles this week inc a steady run of 5 miles @ 8.20 pace and a 13.3 mile long run.

YTD 458 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    MrC....Not quite there yet, but hopeful.  Nice running.

Out before 7 this morning for a cooler run. (Feels like 7C). Breezy but nice to have it dry.
    Another 8 miles, keeping to slow breathing, so no fading like the other day.
    (Av. pace was 10:06/ mile and an age grading close to 69%.)

YTD: 687' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Leavesden Country parkrun (plus a mile warm-up as per usual) which means that I am back on having done all the parkruns within the M25. It was very warm and humid so I ran 29:30 which was quite fast enough, thankyou. 

YTD: 697
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    I still haven’t been for a run since I joined the thread! 😂

The knee injury has steadily improved with no pain after a 5 mile walk today.

I am three weeks post Marathon recovery and I am hoping to do a short run this week.

Cal - Which ultra are you training for and how many miles are you doing in the three months leading up to it? I’m thinking of signing up for my first 50km at the end of the year.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Friday night was my regular 5 mile loop and Saturday morning parkrun. Sunday morning I've got a cold. 

Ytd: 576.9 (June 35.0)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jack, it's UltraLondon, which is 55K. My longest run was last weekend - 24 miles (though I wasn't actually intending to do more than 22, I just took a few wrong turns). Biggest week was 54 miles. I don't do super high mileage because I'm almost 56 and my body doesn't recover like a young person's, so hoping this is enough. But honestly, I think if you've done a marathon, a 50 isn't a whole lot further so you can do the same sort of training. At least I'm hoping so!

Last long run for me today at 16 miles. Very warm so glad it didn't need to be further. Hoping this weather calms down over the next two weeks or I'm going to have a tough time.

YTD: 713
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone, some good miles being added.
    I'm keeping them ticking over at the moment, doing a 100 mile month challenge so only logging minimum of 3 miles a day. Gutted to be watching all the Man v Horse stuff on line when I couldn't do it this year....I'll be back in 2024...very hot one this year & horses struggled.
    Cal, your training for the Ultra looks spot on...no need to go more than 20 ish miles working up to a 50k...the joy and cake will get you to 30 ish miles.
    JackFW, do it...you'll love the Ultra community...no egos and just so much support.
    I have a potential start date for our new parkrun...but I'm not going to say when...want the first one to be low key.
    390 miles YTD
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ooh exciting, Hobie!

Slow 5 miles this morning. 

YTD: 718
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Attempted a 3 x 2 mile tempo @7.20 pace but had stop after the 4th mile, went out too fast, maybe the heat or more likely my fitness is not quite up to it 😁.
    YTD 471 miles.
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    A few more short runs out on the coast path, today was seriously hot with no wind...yuch.
    399.4 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    11 miles, mostly easy but threw a couple of faster bits in and bagged a couple of obscure Strava crowns. Also had to increase the pace on the homeward stretch as I needed the loo. This weather's playing havoc with my guts. :(

YTD: 729
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: when is the ultra? Sense it's getting close.

Hobie: I love hearing man v horse each year. It's mind blowing. Here's to next year. Good luck with parkrun. I'm at my local one each week, I've seen lives change because if it, both runners and volunteers. It's a great thing your doing. 

I was out at cricket Sunday and my cold knocked out running on Monday and Tuesday however a slow 5.1 tomorrow and a better 5.4 tonight. 

Ytd: 587.0 (June 45.1)
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    No idea why I typed 'tomorrow' the slow 5.1 was yesterday!! Might be another slow 5.1 tomorrow, who knows.... 
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Creeping up to the half point with a 15 mile long run, in fact longest ever. Had to really slow down to keep the HR in the so called easy zone.

YTD 491 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ran 8 miles yesterday then hopped on a train up North. I chose beautiful Lyme Park as my birthday parkrun but boy it was tough. Very hilly (which I don't mind) but also very technical - tough underfoot with lots of loose stones and rocks and a few tree roots. 

YTD: 740
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    MrC.... Well done on the long run...and for closing-in on the 500'.

Donnie... 'cold' or hayfever? Moving closer to the 600' .

Hobie... 400' now? Thanks for all the pics from the coastal path. All the best for the parkrun launch!!!

Cal... Well done on keeping up your variety of runs...and a tough parkrun! (Happy Birthday!)
    When does the taper start? And what does it look like before an ultra?

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a week. It's been a tough time with one thing and another...and not just the weather. I'm finding that caring for MrsM is taking a lot out of me. 
    One ankle has been 'playing-up'(Hasn't really forgiven me for straining it 18 years ago!)
    And I'm wondering if my Mizunos are failing with their cushioning after 2/300 miles, unlike my Asics which keep giving...even beyond 500'??
    Only two slow runs this week; 9' on Thurs and 8' today. (GPS was all over the place on Thurs. but was up-to-speed today.)

YTD: 704' .

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've been tapering a couple of weeks already, MrM2. This week is the last week - no run today as I'm doing fun stuff, and just a couple of runs this week.

Well done on 700.