Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Well done on the steady parkruns and also for passing 500'!!!

Planned to run double figures this morning but legs complained that they had not been given sufficient notice! So, settled for a disappointing 7. (Shouldn't say 'disappointing' really, as I'm so thankful that I can get out and run! )
    (Something still not right with my ankle. Will see if a Physio visit can help, this week.)

YTD: 644' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hope it's nothing serious, MrM2.
    Donnie, I wouldn't worry - you have been recovering from a marathon, after all. My May is only as high as it is because I have an ultra next month, otherwise I'd be taking it much easier.

6 today - new shoes (Asics Novablast...first non-Nikes since I got serious about running. Which is a long time).

YTD: 587
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    First proper Tempo run today only 25mins @ 7.30 pace but pleased as the knee coped well.
    YTD 390 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    MrC... Nice pace....and closing in on 400'!

Cal... Hope you get on well with the new shoes; always feels like jumping into unknown waters. Closing in on 600'!

Out soon after 6 this morning for 11 miles. Enjoyed some seafront running in glorious sunshing.  Ankle soreness started to get uncomfortable after 10 miles. (Able to book Physio.)

The Physio didn't find anything seriously wrong, today; just the usual knots and tightness which can seemingly only be sorted by bringing me close to screaming! (Three needles used this session...?)

YTD: 655' .

(Brings back memories of the trolley bus route that passed my door, in the 50s, from Brentford to Hanwell.)

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Indeed, MrM2...I guess I should have pushed on for an extra mile today eh? But I can wait until tomorrow.
    Glad your issue isn't anything serious. My physio doesn't do acupuncture, just sticks his elbows into my tight bits, which hurts a lot.
    Good stuff MrC - glad the knee is  holding up.

12 miles today with a bit of speed in the middle, as I wanted to get a Strava crown I missed by 1 second last week. (I was successful).

YTD: 599
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: a sentence I suspect I'll never write is one starting 'out soon after 6'.

Cal: I never bothered with running apps (strava), recommended? 

5.1 in the first genuinely warm evening sun shine. 

Ytd 505.5 (May 52.4)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Donnie, I didn't bother with Strava until lockdown when my club had a virtual competition with another club and we needed to record our runs on it. I use the desktop version. I use Garmin Connect for analysing my runs but Strava is more social. When I first got it I found it invaluable for finding new routes after seeing my clubmates' runs and the segments get quite addictive. I only use the free version - the subscription has more info but I don't really need it.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    10 miles today in the new shoes, slow to easy pace as I went out later when it was warmer (I am going to have to get used to this for the ultra). Through 600 now.

YTD: 609
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Out Wed and Thurs for 7.1 and 5. Enjoyed both, the extra 2 always seems a big effort. 

Cal: thanks for the running apps update. I'm very unscientific, this thread is my record keeping. 

Ytd: 517.6 (May 63.5)
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Garmin connect is the only app I use but it’s private so no one else can see my data.
    First 30 mile week in such a long time, left it a bit late for the long run this morning and certainly felt the heat after the 8-9 mile mark.

YTD 409 miles.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done on passing 400, MrC.
    Thurrock parkrun today, plus a mile warm-up. 

YTD: 613
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Envious of all those achieving great things this week;

MrC....Passing 400'

Cal... Well through 600'...and a good parkrun!

Donnie... Leaving the 500' well behind!

Sadly, my sore ankle decided to make a real fuss! No running for four days, now.
    Even a gentle effort on grass was too much.
    So, ice treatment and a new ankle support, plus 'rest'.....and try to be patient!

(Just been watching Alex Yee win his latest triathlon with an amazing run. He is some athlete!)

Enjoy the week-end sunshine!!!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well you've got to give us a chance to catch you, MrM2! (I hope it heals quickly though).
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Long and slow 22 miler...but enjoyable.

YTD: 635
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Enjoyed Saturday at parkrun. Near perfect conditions on a flat and potentially quick course. When it's dry, it's genuinely PB potential. 23.09 quickest for sometime. Sunday evening did 7.1 when visiting family in Ipswich. Ipswich is a surprisingly undulating town!! 

Ytd: 527.8 (May 73.7)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised, Donnie - I went to uni in Colchester which isn't too far from there and Colchester's pretty hilly.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal...Huge well-done on your 22'.

Me?...Still not ready to test the ankle. Taking too long this time!
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Aussie from Melbourne here. But I have spent a lot of time in the UK over the past 10 years. Popping back over next year.

This is my first post. Hope I can join you on this endeavour.

I am slightly injured (sore knee which needs a couple of weeks rest) after running my first Marathon last week so it will be touch and go!

YTD - 601.8.

Cheers
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    25mins @ 7.20 pace today.
    124 miles for May, that’s my biggest month ever 😊.
    YTD 413.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Edit that should be ;
    YTD 421.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done on your new record, MrC.

Welcome Jack - which marathon did you do? (And congratulations).

A sluggish 5 miles today - still rather tired from the long run, I guess.

YTD: 640
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Cal.

The Great Ocean Road Marathon in Victoria which takes you from Lorne to Apollo Bay along a coastal road for 44km. It was a beautiful course but there was a severe headwind the whole way.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Jack FW: Great to see a new name. Hope you stay around. We seem to have lost a few recently, hopefully not permanently, but we've become a diminished group. 

Cal: sounds like the ultra prep is going well? 

Mr MM: hope you shack off the ankle issue soon. I hear your frustration. 

Out tonight for 9.1. My longest run since the Manchester marathon. 

Ytd 536.9 (May 82.8)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Welcome Jack! And hope that you are soon injury free. Hope Mr MM is soon back running pain free as well. 

Well done on your biggest month, MrC!

Managed 166.93 for May = 103.73 miles, so after two poor months following Covid I am getting back near to where I should be...although June might take a bit of a hit as I am having a procedure on my shoulder on the 7th. 

YTD 481.5 miles
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah Aussie then, Jack! I guess it's more or less winter there now, eh?
    Well done Donnie.
    Nice job, alehouse. Hope the shoulder thing goes well. My left shoulder's a sod - got a dodgy rotator cuff after years of heavy benching combined with hunching over a computer. Not a great combo.

Couldn't motivate myself to run this morning so I entered an evening 10K on a whim. (Also a 3 mile run there, as a warm-up). Went a bit better than expected, considering the long run on Sunday and the fact my colon decided to play up and I had to deal with stabby pains. I guess I have IBS or something (though that's about as vague a term as a headache).

YTD: 649
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone for the kind welcome.

I can confirm that it is winter here and cold (relatively speaking!).

Hopefully I will be back on the running track next week and will keep you updated on my progress.

Look forward to hearing how you all are going with the challenge.
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Welcome JackFW, great to have you along for the ride.
    Sorry I've been missing for a bit, hard to pop up with slightly annoying short runs I'm forced to do with slightly iffy knee but it's getting better....but I've signed up for a Strava challenge with a local coach who's raising money for a defib...so got 100 miles to do this month.
    Couple of runs coaching our Couch to 5k group and a couple of runs out on the coast path.
    350 miles YTD
    29,019ft elevation....so 1 Everest done for 2023
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Out on wed night to end the merry month of May. Nothing yet for June. 

My fall in early may resulted in a month off so my 100 miles per month has got by the wayside. Bit of a pity. Away for a week in June so this month could also be touch and go. 

Ytd: 541.9 (May 87.8)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    We all experience a few curveballs along the way, eh?
    Yesterday was parkrun plus a mile to warm-up...today 24 miles (I wasn't planning on going that long but took a few wrong turns). I feel like I've run a marathon.

YTD: 677
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    JackFW...Welcome! Head winds...the mixed blessings of coastal running! Well done on the marathon; hope the injury will soon be forgotten.

MrC... The 7:20 pace sounds great! (Takes me back a few years...)

Alehouse...Thanks.  Hope your shoulder procedure goes well!

Hobie...Hope you can manage this month's challenge! 
    Well done on your 'Everest' !!!

Cal... Great result for your 10km 'on a whim'! Looks more like your 5k parkrun pace!?
    And well done on today's 24' ! (Was that in the 'new' shoes?)

Managed a 4' cautious run last week in Poole Park (ankle testing) and got into a serious traffic gridlock on the way 'home'. Sadly, as we found out later, this was due to the sea incident which took two young lives.
    Another couple of rest days (apart from the drive back to Oxfordshire) and got out at 6:30 on Saturday for a 6' run. Quite pleased with how things went but not rushing back to any sort of regular running just yet.

YTD: 665' .