Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I saw that Cal, small world.
    Ben is doing a fantastic job of doing all the promotion, we share a clubmate. He's also a Run Director for our parkrun. 
    Day off from running today, sunny and windy so sailing happened....ours is the grey one in the middle.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: great work with the parkrun. Hope everything went to plan and you weren't flash mobbed on your first day. 

Cal: hope the injury heals quickly and please keep dropping by. 

Two runs to log. Both a bit odd.

Thursday night I tripped. Back in may I slipped, this was definitely a trip. No lasting damage but badly grazed knee, elbow and palms. Happened about 200 metres into a 5 mile run. 

Tonight I set off to do 10, started to pour with rain, I was cold, bailed out at 5.2. It wasn't much fun. 

Ytd: 691.6 (July 56.5)
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done Hobie and team! Hope it continues to go well. 

Hope there is indeed no lasting damage, Donnie! I seem to do that far too often these days.

Still slowly but consistently ticking off the miles and should manage over 100 this month. Recently brought up my two year streak of a mile or more each day. 

YTD: 673.6
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Donnie, yes I found Asics tend to be tight to.
    Hobie, thanks - our route has a hill - so you have to negotiate it 21 times for the marathon.  Congrats on the new parkrun.
    Early congrats on the 900 MrM2.
    Sorry to hear of the hams Cal.
    Well done on the 600 MrC

16/07 - 11.01
    18/07 - 6.24
    20/07 - 8.23
    22/07 - 8.35
    23/07 - 9.67
    (43.50)

YTD = 1225.87 miles

Younger son is currently playing footie for UK Police in the European Police Championships in Newcastle.

The beat Netherlands 2-0 (son got both assists), they drew with Republic of Ireland 0-0 and as long as they don't lose against Switzerland today they make the semis.

They will meet one of the top two from the other group comprising Germany, Czech Republic, Denmark or Bulgaria.

Really proud of him.

He also plays semi-pro for Sittingbourne.

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Sounds like you need to add more water.....but, seriously, I hope you don't suffer too much before you are fully recovered.

Alehouse... Well done on the streak!

Harmander... Many thanks. Sounds like you've got some soccer talent in the family! 

Yes, I crawled over the 900' line yesterday by adding 2 miles to my 14 mile run. Took me to 901'. Today I ran 7 miles.

YTD: 908' .
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the 900 MrM2.

Harmander Clearly a sporty family, fingers crossed for your boy.

Was planning a 3x2 mile threshold today but right calf felt tight so did a easy 8 miles instead on top of the 8 yesterday,

YTD 625 miles
  • Options
    Thanks all.

Older son was an England Youth Squad potential at basketball, dad was a mean 100 yard runner in the Army, 'er indoors now on 255 parkruns too.

Wow Alehouse, I make that you are over 730 miles from home now - lol. Well done.

8.33 miles today

YTD = 1234.20 miles - should have run another 0.36 miles to make it 1234.56 miles

UK Police going to play Czech Republic in the semis tomorrow.

Winners play Germany or Switzerland in the final.

• Options
    Also, Uncles will be 80 in October - a Darlington Harriers member and an 'Ever Present' at the Great North Run - Aunt has only missed one GNR
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander: football comp sounds exciting. International honours, great stuff. Hope the semi final today doesn't end in the almost traditional penelty shot out heart break! 

Mr MM and alehouse: my trip has left me with nasty grazes on palms, elbow and knee but no lasting damage. My amateur explanation, I've complained about a stiff back, an affect of that is that I sense I'm shuffling rather than running, hence the trip. Freeing up my back will hopefully solve the problem. 

Out Monday and Tuesday. Mon was an even paced 10.1 although the last couple of miles required some effort. Tuesday was an usual 5.6 as twice I stood under trees in the park as showers passed by. I hate getting wet when running. 

Ytd 705.3 (July 72.2)
  • Options
    Donnie, Congrats on the 700

UK Police beat Czech Republic 4-1 in the Semi today.  Son got an assist for the 2nd goal.

Going to play the Germans tomorrow.

6.87 miles today as going to take tomorrow off.

YTD = 1240.07 miles.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander: congrats on the football. A final against Germany, could it be any other way! 

6.6 tonight in windy and drizzle!!

Ytd:711.9 (July 79.2)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie...Congrats on passing 700 miles. Glad that the 'damage' is still allowing you to run/shuffle! Hope you'll soon be running more freely.

Harmander... 4-1 sounds like a strong result in a semi...All the best for the Final!

Got out for 7 miles...almost before the rain started! and scraped in just inside 10min/mile o'all pace. Don't know where that came from as I felt slow...after a 'satisfying' lunch, 2 hours earlier.

YTD:915' .
  • Options
    MrM2 & Donnie2,

Absolutely - The Czechs held Germany to a draw in their group game.

Son played the whole game against Netherlands and the first hour of the games against Ireland and Switzerland (had a niggly calf he tells me).  He played the full game against the Czechs - in 5 hours of football he has three assists in the 7 goals UK scored.

I think my kid (33) done good.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Harmander how did we do v the Germans?

Easy 18 miles today, never find them that easy for some reason 🤣

YTD 643 miles
  • Options
    MrC,

It was 0-0 at half time but our lads had a mare in the second half - lost 4-1.

I comforted my son by suggesting that as there were so many police officers on the field, the Germans ought to have been arrested and charged with robbery.

It sort of spoilt my birthday even more than the really expensive bus tour and afternoon tea (on the bus) with the missus.   Just kidding, the bus tour and afternoon tea was fine, it was just the missus lol.

No run today.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander...What do you mean...'No run today'...?! Sorry that your team came second!

Another 16' run for me, yesterday. The same route that I did 5 days ago. Faster o'all but not as consistent. Still plenty of work to do! (A couple of years ago I could churn those runs out twice a week....??)

YTD: 931' .
  • Options
    MrM2,

Thought I needed a rest after the ordeal of enjoying the Afternoon Tea Bus Tour with 'er indoors on my birthday. lol

8.34 miles today, including parkrun

YTD = 1248.41 miles

Our club still has about 5 discounted places at the Big Half if anyone is interested.

£20 instead of £56
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Did our 2nd parkrun at the weekend....we had 122 runners / walkers...mostly all went well, apart from a bloke who brought his dog (our route is narrow in places so we weren't sure if dogs would work) anyway instead of complaining to us he's gone to parkrun UK to have a winge....we did record his time but the token person didn't give him a token....if he'd messaged us I would have happily put him on the results....but I'm tempted to just bin him off as a pain in the a$$ entitled tosspot.

Anyway in other news, I went for a long run on the coast path but got to 5 miles & found a distressed dog owner who's 15 year old collie had gone down into the bushes & brambles at the top of the cliffs...so now I'm sporting some epic scars from the brambles on my arms & legs, lost my specs but dog recovered, it's collar had caught on a branch so it wouldn't have got out on it's own....I should probably have called the coastguard looking back at the cliff we were on :smiley:

550 miles YTD
    51,043 ft elevation 
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: great rescue work. Well done. Definately file the parkrun complainer in 'entitled t#sspot' and don't look back. 

Spent the weekend in north nolfolk. Happy time but no running. Month ends with 

Ytd: 721.1 (July 89.1)
  • Options
    Thanks Donnie2, you're right....don't wast any time on people like that.

Might get a fell race in this weekend Ras Cerig Las....7 miles in the Preseli hills....daft downhill finish will be a test for my knee.
  • Options
    Donnie2,  I agree with Hobie.

You may recall someone complaining about me being too quick when pacing - even though they managed a PB (by 33 seconds). I would expect issues if I went over but...  

13.33 miles on Sunday.

YTD = 1262.74 miles

• Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    Hey everybody,

Hope you’re all doing well. It’s great to see some of you hitting milestones (Donnie, MrM2) and others (Hobie and MrC) fighting off injuries and niggles.

Congrats to Alehouse on the two year streak.

I have been taking it easy over the past month trying to get my knee right for the Melbourne Marathon in mid October. I am running out of time!

Whilst on holiday over the past 2 weeks, a road trip across the Nullarbor from Melbourne to Perth, I have done 4 runs by 5km approx each, including a run in a small beach town called Streaky Bay in South Australia and along the Fremantle waterfront in Western Australia.

The knee feels okay with no symptoms over the past two/three weeks so this weekend I will test it further with a 10km run. I need to ramp up my running if I’m going to be any chance for the Marathon.

YTD - 629m

P.S. I won’t mention the Ashes other than to say that I’m glad it’s over! A very stressful series! Well played both sides.
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Harmander those pesky Germans eh, but the boys did well getting to the final, hopefully next time.

Hobie there is always one PITA best to be ignored.

Jack good to hear the knee is on the mend.

5 miles today with 25 mins sandwiched in between at threshold pace, easy 6 yesterday. Having a cut back this week with mileage.

YTD 654 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... Well done on the heroics!!! And as for parkrun complaints.....'nuff said!'

Jack... Interesting trip. I visited Fremantle and Melbourne on my first trips to sea, as a Deck Boy, in the Merchant Navy, 1960. Hope the knee behaves itself over 10km, then you'll have some confidence for the marathon. Agree...some great cricket!

MrC. Nice mix of runs!

Wanted to run yesterday but lots of life got in the way. A bit quieter today and the weather was good, so set off with the intention of running a steady 16 miles. Message never reached the legs and I had to pull out at 8 miles. No idea what is happening with my lack of consistency; and just a few days ago I thought I was back to steady running?!?!

YTD: 939' .
  • Options
    MrC, The German team was given a month off to train together on full pay - my son was the only one from the Met Police in the squad and has been told his week off will be from his annual leave - the other lads from other UK police forces are getting a much better deal - My son is still proud of being part of the UK Police team - he is a good kid.

7.24 miles today.

YTD 1269.98 miles
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie : I'm a great fan of parkrun. I'm not part of the local core team but know a couple of them relatively well. I really appreciate what they do and the commitment they put in. With any complainants, it really is, stuff 'em and don't look back. 

Tues and Wed after work. Rainy both nights but 10.4 to add. 

Ytd: 731.5 (aug 10.4)
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Another 7 miles clocked today but not sure what I gained from that run. Started well enough but by half way I could sense that things would only go 'down hill', and they did; not much more than walking by the end! Have been feeling exhausted first thing in the morning, as if the body hasn't had any benefit from a night's sleep. (My daughter reminded me the other day that I'm now working full-time...Caring for MrsM. Perhaps that is something that I'll need to keep in mind, and review my expectations?

YTD: 946' .
  • Options
    MrM2,  Truly feel for you - had gone through the same many years ago with our elder son.  I ended up taking redundancy to be his carer.  Thankfully he pulled through but is disabled and I now provide 21 hours care over a week.

As I was pickpocketed (first time ever), I managed to lose the 60+ Oyster Card that I have just now finished re-ordering.  Won't get it delivered till week after next.

8.68 miles today

YTD = 1278.60 miles
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    I am ashamed to admit I have never done a parkrun, but after reading about the experiences on here I will have to give it a go!
  • Options
    JackFW, I use it as my speed work and to refine my pacing for marathons. 
    As you get a volunteering credit (and pacing is a volunteering role where the Run Director allows it), I am hooked.
    Saturday will be my 431st parkrun and 277th volunteering.
    Even the missus is on 256 parkruns.
    You will love it.