Options

1000 miles in 2023

Comments

• Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander...Impressive stats.!!!

Started July by getting out at 7a.m. and running ten miles. 
    I started with a 5k Fartlek, then some steady running.
    Probably my best run for three months...and only a slight complaint from the rt. ankle.

YTD: 752' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Cal: I didn't get my 'Z'. 

On the Hook of Holland to Harwich ferry. Holiday almost done. Had a great time. 

Managed to run on Thursday and Friday. Thursday was the equivalent of a tow path along side of the Manchester ship canal just south of Amsterdam and Friday a quiet cycle path in the middle of nowhere. 7.5 and 5.0.

634.4 (June 92.5)
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    8 and a half miles of coast path today and a nice easy 4 mile club run last night...desperately trying it build some fitness again.
    464 miles
    40,862 ft elevation 
  • Options
    Did my local(nearest) parkrun toad so only 5.34 miles.

YTD = 1096.70 miles
  • Options
    Ooops

Did my local(nearest) parkrun today so only 5.34 miles.

YTD = 1096.70 miles
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Another year and a half and you'll be getting your blue shirt, Harmander.
    Speaking of parkrun, I stuck with my local today as I am still quite tired. One mile warm-up and then the parkrun at a moderate but not too fast pace.

YTD: 796
  • Options
    OMG, I have just been offered a pacer place at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in October - it is my second favourite marathon (having run it 17 times and paced five times - missed two years because of Covid restrictions) but this year is likely to be the last time I go and just want to enjoy a jog around.  Two reasons are, the slowest pace time offered is 4:55 (I normally paced 5:10) and secondly, since my first time when the trip in 2003 cost me under £200, it is now close to £1,000.

MrM2 and Cal, come on you two, you are making me slack since Dubai took a break. At the current rate I should get over 2,000 in early December but recall only a few years ago we were all doing nearly 3,000.

Can I interest anyone to bring a team of 5 to crack the 50km team relay record on our flat (not) course on 10 December? It is 3:23:30 (that is 40 min 42 secs for every 10km).

Cal, remind me of your local parkrun please. I might pop over to do a landmark one there.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Tooting Common, Harmander. It's a busy one with quite a bit of congestion so I only tend to do it when I'm happy to run slower (or walk, if I'm sick or injured). 
    I've never done 3000 - I did do 2020 in 2020 but that pretty much broke me and I spent the first half of 2021 injured. My body doesn't seem to like high mileage. And I'm not nearly fast enough for your relay, sadly - even at my fastest I was over 50 minutes for the 10K. Now I'm happy to break an hour.

Lovely morning - fresh and bright - so ventured out for an 8 mile plod. Legs still rather tired so it was slow, but nothing hurt too much. And that takes me over 800.

YTD: 804
  • Options
    Cal - the 3:23:30 is the current team record - not everyone in that team did 40 minutes, some were very fast (I think 34 mins - I am always happy to go under the hour for 10km nowadays - rare and getting rarer).

The other distances available on the day are 22km, marathon, Ultra and a single 10km.

Before i got married (1979), I averaged over 70 miles a week.

11.94 miles today

YTD = 1108.64 miles.
  • Options
    Cal - forgot to say congrats on the 800 
  • Options
    MrCMrC ✭✭✭
    Running can be so frustrating at times just as I seem to have got on top of my knee bursitis I have now got anterior shin splints in my right leg 😟.
    Going to give it a weeks rest and see.

YTD 538 miles.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie...I used to work for Stena Line, on the Harwich-Europoort run, and loved running on the Dutch side, especially by the canals!

Cal... Did I say, Congrats. on the 800'?!  Great job!

Harmander... Sorry to be slacking this year! Too many ankle issues!

MrC... Hope you recover soon. Down-time is so frustrating!!!

Just a 4 mile road-side run this evening. (Intended a good stretch session after the run but life got in the way!!!)

YTD: 756' .
  • Options
    Was only kidding MrM2.

I know the feeling MrC - it can be so annoying - I normally get changed and go sit in the park - so the missus thinks I am out running or else she finds me things to do.

Does anyone want to run the Big Half on 3 September?

Our club has a few discounted places left - Normal price is £56, but if you make a £10 contribution to our clubhouse appeal, we can send you a link to register for £10.  So £20 instead of £56 - everyone is a winner.
  • Options
    JackFWJackFW ✭✭✭
    MrC, I feel your pain. I am battling knee bursitis myself. Hope your recovery with the shin splints is swift.

Third run back from injury being 6 miles along the promenade from Port Melbourne to St Kilda Marina on Sunday.

The knee pulled up mildly sore the next day, but otherwise is fine today. I think I need to rest it a bit longer, unfortunately…

YTD - 614.8m
  • Options
    10.22 miles with a young (she is younger than me) lady training for her first half in September.

YTD = 1118.86 miles
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Light rain all day. (The forecast, yesterday, said that it would be dry after 10a.m.!)
    So, decided to set off anyway. tbh the rain was very light. Settled into a pace that I hoped would be sustainable and more or less kept it for the 14 miles. Split the run into two sevens, with a 5 minute check indoors between the two loops. Despite needing to walk for half a minute (?) while going through a queezy spell in mile 12, I still managed a negative split (72:40 and 72:20) O'all pace was 10:21/mile and the Age Grading was close to 69%.

YTD: 770' .
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Jack, I hope it settles down soon for you.
    Well done Harmander and MrM2.

Felt rough Monday and Tuesday but I had booked a race this evening (the third race in the Wimbledon Trail Series) and I didn't feel too awful this morning so I had a tentative 2 mile tester jog. The race itself is 8 miles but there was a one lap option and I took that as a) it's only 1.5 weeks since the ultra, b) I have Asics 10K this Sunday and c) I was getting acid reflux. Beyond that it didn't feel too bad at all, though I kept to around 10 minute pace. 

YTD: 810
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Mr MM: we sailed with stena. Great crossing both ways. I'd expected the running on the canal paths to be straight forward. Touch disappointing. Paths bit intermittent.

Two runs this week. A laboured 5.0 on Tuesday but followed by my best run of the year on Tuesday with 7.2, averaging min 57 per km.

Ytd: 646.6 (July 12.2)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Easy 4 today. 

YTD: 814
  • Options
    10.89 this morning before it got too hot.

YTD = 1129.75 miles

Hoping to get fastest parkrun time this year by my birthday later this month.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Manged to get out Fri tea time and a very warm parkrun this morning. 5 on Friday but still not convinced about my newish shoes. They feel narrow. 

Old parkrun trainers are fine although not many miles left in thrm. 

Ytd: 654.5 (June 20.3)
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Will they stretch out, Donnie? If not, you may need to send them back and get a bigger size.

Another 4 today - I took the train out to Essex and Billericay parkrun. Very very muggy when I got there (I was already sweating on the train). One mile warm-up and then the parkrun, which was a hot and undulating four lapper. Nice park, though.

YTD: 818
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And Asics 10K today. Less muggy than yesterday though still quite warm (I enjoyed the sprinklers they had at a couple of points along the course). With the ultra only two weeks ago, I am not yet back to form so I was aiming for under an hour and came in at 58:33 which I'm happy enough with.

YTD: 824
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Cal...I'd say that's a respectable time for your 10k, at this stage! Well done.

Back by the sea for a couple of weeks. A ten mile run on Friday, and an eleven today.
    Today's run was a struggle; too hot and too busy, and I was sluggish!
    However, always enjoy the seafront running.

YTD: 791' .
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hurt my back. Never had anything like this before. Did it getting the lawn mower out of the shed!!

To be honest when bending I'm in a fair amount of discomfort. Been googling stretches to help lower back. 

Haven't run today, out tomorrow and working late Tues so Wed is my next run. Bugger. 
  • Options
    What make are they Donnie2?  I always ask for extra wide fitting as well as half a size bigger than my shoe size.
    Well done on the 10km time Cal.
    MrM2, I love the seafront races - the best was the Mauritius Marathon for me - one could see the ocean for a lot of the race.
    Having said I was going to improve my parkrun time, I struggled - one of those days I guess.

Anyway,

08/07 - 8.33 including parkrun
    09/07 - 11.24
    (19.57)

YTD = 1149.32 miles

Forgot to say that I recall exactly what I was doing 46 years ago on 07/07.

The lecturer said to all of us that we all will remember that day for the rest of our lives so make a mental note.  It was 07/07/77 - and it stuck with me ever since - weird that something so innocuous could be etched for so long.

However, I have to make sure I don't forget our wedding anniversary by having it  as the pin for my phone.

• Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Hope the back is feeling better Donnie2, gardening can be very harmful.
    I got home early from work on Friday so got a nice trail run in the sun, Saturday was a visit to parkrun 30 miles away for some last minute practice before ours starts this week...we also had the welsh Health Minister there (she ran) which was quite cool, she's up for coming to do ours when we get going...I managed a 24min 5k.
    482 miles YTD
    43,009ft elevation
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... Sorry to hear about your back. Hope the recovery goes well. A good physio would enjoy getting to work on you!
    Harmander...I've also got good memories of running in Mauritius but not their marathon.
    We were there a few years ago and I seem to remember running around the outside of the horse-racing circuit. I guess one of my favourite seafront runs has got to be the Durban North Beach parkrun. (Many were walking the 5k)

Out this evening for a repeat of the 10 mile run that I did 3 days ago. Quite breezy, so a little slower. 

YTD: 801' 

• Options
    Congrats on the 800 MrM2
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ugh Donnie, hope it's just a muscle strain and not a disc or something.
    MrM2, well done on the level up!
    Harmander, you've been about a bit eh?
    Well done Hobie.

Just 3 miles recovery today, but I did go to the gym as well.

YTD: 827